Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 15th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 09-04-19, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 15th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-19, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 15th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Originally Posted by JOE29
Man, oh man... I just got out of the hospital with pneumonia. Been in since early Wednesday morning. Missed the past 3 days of scoring.
But the good part is that I'm going to be off recovering with no much to do. Except mainly you know what... So I should be able to do some Catch-up. Maybe even surpass my goals.
Hope you feel better soon Joe.
Old 10-12-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 15th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
I am glad someone else enjoyed Blackcoat's Daughter. It's a move that wouldn't be for everyone, but it's still in my head two movies later...
Ya, wasn't a big fan.
Spoiler:
I didn't like how it kept going through different timelines. Always been a pet peeve of mine. It's like the director wants you to carry a notebook while watching or something. Probably makes you watch the movie again. Also, Kiernan Shipka grows up to look like Emma Roberts? I mean they do kind of look alike, But still, seems like it was just used as a red herring or something. Director has some potential with what he has released, just needs to iron some stuff out.

Last edited by jacob_b; 10-12-19 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-12-19, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
^Siren was my "Biggest Surprise Winner" in my '17 Challenge. Glad you liked it too.

Btw, I've got to say it's been a pretty relaxing challenge for me since I've ditched the Drive-In Totals this year. In a way, I'm doing this in honor to replicate how my list looked in the first challenge back in '05. *sniffles*
Aww, I enjoy reading those. But I completely understand the reasoning behind it. It's the reason I don't review everything I watch or participate too heavily in the subsets. I honestly want to, it's just after prepping/running this thing it's much less stressful that way.

RIP, Robert Forster. I'll see if I can get a hold of Maniac Cop 3 by the end of the month.
Damn. Yet another actor involved with the Twins Peaks revival that's died. Starting to think that's a cursed production.

Originally Posted by clckworang
My sister has gotten really into finding birthday and Christmas gifts for me through Etsy. For when I was turning 40, she got the idea to do a poster with all different film posters from the year I was born. She couldn't find anyone in the United States willing to do it for her because of copyright issues. She finally found someone out of Greece. It would have been really cool to have chosen all the posters myself, but my sister did a pretty good job of putting a few big favorites and some big hits of the time. It was a cool gift.
Greece, eh? That's thinking outside the box.

Just for shits and giggles I submitted one of the old banners to a custom T-shirt place a few years back. Their response was essentially "You're kidding, right?".

Originally Posted by clckworang
I know many have said they are using it without a wildcard. Maybe we can get a blanket declaration of wildcard or not, although it probably doesn't matter too much. I know I rarely use my wildcards.

This actually reminds me of something I was thinking about. It may not be met with the warmest reception, but I had an idea for a theme next year, though it might be a little tricky. How about a horror movies not classified as horror theme? I know there are several films that we all count and accept as horror, use year after year, but IMDB and/or AllMovie don't classify them as such. I'm pretty sure we've even used some of them. There are quite a few possibilities, some of which might be too borderline, but it might make for interesting discussion about what makes horror and if that particular film achieves it. It also gives people a possible free day to watch films that are borderline or try some new movies that you might not watch ordinarily because you're not sure if it's horror enough. It would sort of be like a one-day good faith amnesty period for films you honestly think should be considered horror or have enough horror elements for you to suspect it's horror. Sorry, it's too late. I'm rambling.

Possible examples (I know we've used some): Silence of the Lambs, Wallace and Gromit in Curse of the Were-Rabbit, Black Swan, Requiem for a Dream, Dial M for Murder, Frenzy, 10 Rillington Place, Teen Wolf (I know many have used it during the challenge), ParaNorman, The Vanishing (I've seen the original on many horror lists), Rocky Horror Picture Show, Copycat, Joker

Originally Posted by Gobear
I like that idea. It's creative, although it might lead to silliness like listing Bambi as a horror movie (the death of Bambi's mom is pretty scary)
I do too. A day of watching watching without wildcards would be a welcome change. That way no one can complain when someone inevitably watches E.T. I'll jot it down and carry it over to the planning thread once it goes up.

Originally Posted by JOE29
Man, oh man... I just got out of the hospital with pneumonia. Been in since early Wednesday morning. Missed the past 3 days of scoring.
But the good part is that I'm going to be off recovering with no much to do. Except mainly you know what... So I should be able to do some Catch-up. Maybe even surpass my goals.
Take it easy. I had a family member with it recently and it's no joke.
Old 10-12-19, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Ya, wasn't a big fan.
Spoiler:
I didn't like how it kept going through different timelines. Always been a pet peeve of mine. It's like the director wants you to carry a notebook while watching or something. Probably makes you watch the movie again. Also, Kiernan Shipka grows up to look like Emma Roberts? I mean they do kind of look alike, But still, seems like it was just used as a red herring or something. Director has some potential with what he has released, just needs to iron some stuff out.
Yeah, I didn't think it would be a movie for everyone... it was a pretty haunting movie for me, though.
Spoiler:
I think the idea of Kat and Joan being the same person would've worked a little better with a wider gap in time. 9 years (for appearance) isn't really all that long, I didn't even realize it was non-linear until the photo of Rose was given by Rose's parents.

Currently watching My Amityville Horror with Daniel Lutz talking about his time in the Amityville House. Dude's kind of a dick, constantly getting upset about people asking him questions when he agreed to do the documentary, but it is a nice change of pace in the day. Any good horror documentaries about "real-life hauntings" people can recommend? I don't necessarily believe in ghosts, but I do enjoy listening to the stories themselves.

Old 10-12-19, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty

Hope you feel better soon Joe.
Thank You, you too Chad.
Old 10-12-19, 05:33 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

RIP, Robert Forster. I'll see if I can get a hold of Maniac Cop 3 by the end of the month.
I watched Alligator (1980) today. He was great in that one.
Old 10-12-19, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I didn't think it would be a movie for everyone... it was a pretty haunting movie for me, though.
Spoiler:
I think the idea of Kat and Joan being the same person would've worked a little better with a wider gap in time. 9 years (for appearance) isn't really all that long, I didn't even realize it was non-linear until the photo of Rose was given by Rose's parents.

Currently watching My Amityville Horror with Daniel Lutz talking about his time in the Amityville House. Dude's kind of a dick, constantly getting upset about people asking him questions when he agreed to do the documentary, but it is a nice change of pace in the day. Any good horror documentaries about "real-life hauntings" people can recommend? I don't necessarily believe in ghosts, but I do enjoy listening to the stories themselves.
I agree. It was around that same time that I noticed it was well and had to rewind some parts and then read what was happening as I was confused. Also, lots of parts are too dark. Hate that in films.

Is that movie streaming anywhere? Wouldn't mind catching it.
Old 10-12-19, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is that movie streaming anywhere? Wouldn't mind catching it.
Looks like Amazon Prime has it for rent...or one of those free 7 day trials you could cancel after you watch it. It was not that great, but interesting anyway. Surprised to see Lorraine Warren show up.
Old 10-12-19, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like Amazon Prime has it for rent...or one of those free 7 day trials you could cancel after you watch it. It was not that great, but interesting anyway. Surprised to see Lorraine Warren show up.
IFC Films Unlimited, interesting. Wish there was an easy way to find out all the horror movies streaming on that app and just knock out the good ones.
Old 10-12-19, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

IFC Films Unlimited, interesting. Wish there was an easy way to find out all the horror movies streaming on that app and just knock out the good ones.
Not sure. I found a copy through other means, but this is what's on their website:

IFC Films - Horror

Not sure which of these movies are available or if all of them are available. Looks to be a fairly new service...

Old 10-12-19, 09:28 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

I wanted to see the remake of Suspiria. Thanks for the tip it's on Prime. Do you know where I can watch the original first? Want to watch them back to back and lost my DVD of it.
The original is on Tubi, and also Kanopy and Hoopla if you have access to those. I rewatched it today and may try to get to the remake later on.
Old 10-12-19, 09:43 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Tonight I had an interesting time at the movies. The Independent theatre here in Pittsburgh is showing ten days of George Romero films, and tonight was the world premiere of The Amusement Park. Back in the early 1970's, the Lutheran Church commissioned Romero to make an educational film on aging. As you might guess, his result was probably not what they expected, and the film wasn't released until its restoration earlier this year. It's a cool piece of work, rough and obviously low-budget, but with the unmistakable Romero style. Romero's widow was also on hand to introduce the film and answer questions.
Old 10-12-19, 09:52 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

So I stumbled into the Mihmverse tonight, watching the surprisingly not completely horrible Weresquito: Nazi Hunter. Anyone here familiar with filmmaker Christopher Mihm?
Old 10-12-19, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shack
The original is on Tubi, and also Kanopy and Hoopla if you have access to those. I rewatched it today and may try to get to the remake later on.
Thank you! Just registered an account for Tubi and going to install for PS4. They got an insane amount of horror films. Lots of random titles but there's a few films on there that I've been wanting to see.
Old 10-12-19, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Reminder this one runs until Tuesday, #2 is the usual Sunday night.

Also a reminder the 10th annual Mass Marathon of the Damned is currently underway.
Originally Posted by Chad

Sunday Tuesday Night Trivia Question #1

We're back and kicking it off with an easy one.

On October 5, 2019 we celebrated the 100th birthday of the late, great Donald Pleasence. A man with range who gave us countless performances throughout many genres.

Name 3 of your favorite Donald Pleasence films.

That's it. There are no right or wrong answers. Randomly drawn.

You're playing for the very well-stacked HamiltonBook.com Prize Pack #1:

Spoiler:

DVDs
  • Frankenhooker
  • The Void
  • Puppet Master Trilogy
  • Stephen King Collection
  • Box of Monsters
  • Suspiria

Blu-rays
  • Children of the Corn
  • C.H.U.D.
  • Slugs
  • House
  • Forbidden Photos of a Lady Above Suspicion
  • Strip Nude for Your Killer
  • The Stuff
  • Scared Stiff
  • Dead-End Drive-In
  • Double Face
  • Crimson Peak
  • Pledge Night
  • Mountaintop Motel Massacre
  • The Vineyard
  • Pets
  • Splatter University
  • Wacko

Courtesy of...

Submit your answers to me via PM or email (one entry per person).

Contest is open until next Tuesday to give you the usual week, but trivia question #2 will be back on our usual Sunday schedule.

Good luck.

Old 10-13-19, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I'll admit to not having seen as many Donald Pleasence films as I'd like but I think my top three are: Halloween, Dracula '79, and Prince of Darkness.
Originally Posted by Trevor
So I stumbled into the Mihmverse tonight, watching the surprisingly not completely horrible Weresquito: Nazi Hunter. Anyone here familiar with filmmaker Christopher Mihm?
I looked this guy up and seems like some interesting stuff; is there an economical way to view these Mihmverse films?

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-13-19 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-13-19, 01:11 AM

Blair Witch (2016) is a ridiculous movie with some horrible effects and an overly generic environment with too much shaky camera - but it also scared me a little and I cannot figure out why. I think the best and most frustrating thing about horror movies is the mysterious element of fear where some movies can be frightening independent of artistry or being 'good;' even in cases like Blair Witch be eyerollingly bad at times and still strike a cord.
Old 10-13-19, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mao
Anyone catch "Little Monsters" on Hulu yet?

Thought it was okay...Josh Gad had some fun moments.
I enjoyed Little Monsters, it was a sweet horror comedy and Lupita Nyong'o was good as Miss Caroline. I'm glad you posted because didn't realize it was on Hulu yet; I'd heard about Little Monsters on one of the 'top horror movies' lists (I think Film School Rejects) and don't think it lives up to that hype but enjoyed it.
Old 10-13-19, 02:36 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I looked this guy up and seems like some interesting stuff; is there an economical way to view these Mihmverse films?
Weresquito was on Prime, I’ll check to see if more are, but I doubt his stuff gets streamed much at the major players or even many disc releases.

Pretty low budget, but he seems to have a bit of a following and decent reviews. This one had a nice noirish and mystery vibe to go with the crazy premise. Decent acting and filmmaking for such an independent operation.

Edit to add: Looks like all his films are on Prime. I’ll definitely be checking out another.

Last edited by Trevor; 10-13-19 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-13-19, 02:41 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

I have never had really strong Rob Zombie feelings and I fell into the middle ground camp with regard to his Halloween remakes... until I finally got around to watching 31. Holy hell, what a smoldering pile of crap!
Old 10-13-19, 03:13 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

If anyone hasn't listened to the commentary on The Beyond Grindhouse blu-ray commentary with Catriona MacColl and David Warbeck, I highly recommended it. Very entertaining and funny. Even my wife who has no interest in the movie itself joined halfway through and laughed out loud at Warbecks comments.
Old 10-13-19, 03:15 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
I have never had really strong Rob Zombie feelings and I fell into the middle ground camp with regard to his Halloween remakes... until I finally got around to watching 31. Holy hell, what a smoldering pile of crap!
Yeah I'm still not sure how i feel about 31.
Love 1000 Corpses though.
Old 10-13-19, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
I haven't see that one yet, but I've never been blown away by any of his stuff. I think his movies have a great look with lots of great imagery, but are full of terrible, unlikable characters. Still, I think 31 is the only of his I haven't seen, so thanks for the warning in case I decide to give that one a watch at some point.

Meanwhile, The Howling II has me questioning my life choices... I have never heard so much chanting and tribal music in one movie in my life. I think there was a straight, solid 5-10 minutes of some ritual. I literally almost fell asleep. And Reb Brown runs... a lot. The guy had to have been exhausted from all the pointless running he did in this movie. Christopher Lee must have needed money at this point in his career or something. I've never been so anxious for a movie to end. I think my blood pressure has risen in the past hour because of it.
Old 10-13-19, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Meanwhile, The Howling II has me questioning my life choices... I have never heard so much chanting and tribal music in one movie in my life. I think there was a straight, solid 5-10 minutes of some ritual. I literally almost fell asleep. And Reb Brown runs... a lot. The guy had to have been exhausted from all the pointless running he did in this movie. Christopher Lee must have needed money at this point in his career or something. I've never been so anxious for a movie to end. I think my blood pressure has risen in the past hour because of it.
You were warned! Standard horror mistake. People are warned of impending doom if they continue. People continue. People meet doom.

Old 10-13-19, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brainee
You were warned! Standard horror mistake. People are warned of impending doom if they continue. People continue. People meet doom.
I can't deny that. But I think it's best if I break up the viewings. I survived this one, but can't will myself to do two in a row. Onto something harmless and fun, like Goosebumps. I do feel doomed if I continue, though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.