Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 15th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 09-04-19, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 15th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 10-11-19, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 15th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Hey StirlingBen!

Looking through your list and I'm pretty sure I got the blu-ray of After.Life from Blockbuster. I remember because it's in one of those crappy Blockbuster cases.... I'll need to see if I can find it.
Old 10-11-19, 10:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 15th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

I've seen a few movies I really liked over the past couple of days. First, there was a low budget rural slasher movie Slaughterhouse on a Vinegar Syndrome Blu-Ray. There's not a whole lot new in the plot but some of the acting is very good and the setting, an abandoned slaughterhouse, is pretty neat. The film starts with scenes from a real slaughterhouse and some might not care for that so be advised. Next is Mimic. I saw the last part of this on TV a long while back and never realized it was directed by Guillermo del Toro. This was an exciting, tense ride with great underground sets and good looking creatures. Finally, the best of the bunch in my opinion was Absentia, about a woman whose husband has been missing for over seven years and suddenly returns, mentally and physically battered. This one is creepy as hell in spots and gave me a few good scares. More of a quiet, psychological horror film, I watched it on DVD but I noticed that it is available free on Amazon Prime. Someone was asking about Prime reccommedations a while back and if they want something a little different I think this is a good one.
Old 10-11-19, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Prayers for a quick turnaround to wanting to watch horror Rich. Wait, that doesn’t sound right.....

Agree that The Perfection was good, great for a Netflix movie. Went in completely blind and agree that was best.
Damn Trevor, I was expecting some spooky goblins or something, wtf?

Spoiler:
But yes consider the sentiment echoed
Old 10-11-19, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Hey StirlingBen!

Looking through your list and I'm pretty sure I got the blu-ray of After.Life from Blockbuster. I remember because it's in one of those crappy Blockbuster cases.... I'll need to see if I can find it.
I think you are probably right, I see it now. Not sure why I missed it before. Also only like $8 which is prob about what I paid for the DVD, highly recommended for those with pension for Christina Ricci.

Perhaps I got it around the same time as when I got Space Station 76 and was projecting. Anyway, review updated.
Old 10-11-19, 11:31 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
I'm watching The Perfection now. At first, I was a little worried I wasn't going to like it, but now at about the halfway mark, I'm like WTF...

EDIT: The whole movie ended up being WTF, but in a good way...I'm not sure I'll ever watch it again, but it's a movie that went in a few different directions I never saw coming.
I watched this today and agree on all counts. Thanks everyone for the recommendations, and the advice to go in not knowing anything about it! One of the better first-time views I've seen this year.

Old 10-11-19, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I also enjoyed The Lifechanger, it was a different style of film identifying more with the 'monster' and with a rotating mix of actors that worked surprisingly well. It had a nice moody tone. I felt like Lifechanger ended up being too ambitious a movie because it was artful and intelligent but
Spoiler:
I did not end up liking how it ended. On one hand it was the creature affirming that despite appearances he was always only himself inside but on the other hand it seemed to resolve some of the existential elements awkwardly - like the whole conflict of the film was just him misunderstanding himself and ended up his uncertainty was just mis-placed.
I saw Lifechanger last night and generally liked it. I appreciate that it told a different type of story with a familiar monster (in this case, a doppelganger creature). My biggest criticism is that it seemed to be stretching material ideal for a short story into feature length (an issue I notice with a number of horror movies these days). It felt repetitive once the basic story pattern was established:
Spoiler:
Drew duplicates new body. Feels a little bad and disposes of the old body. Starts going through a little bit of the life of the new person. Meets up with the girl in the bar. Does drugs to slow rotting. Starts rotting anyway. And we're back to step one.
Unlike you, I liked:
Spoiler:
the ending. I thought it was a tragic twist, that while maybe not satisfying to some fit for me with the tone of the movie. All those deaths and anguish (to himself and others), and he could've stopped it by seeing the "rotting" process through. But by the time he figures this out he's an old man who had completely given up on life.

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Finally saw Veronica and thought it was well done. I remember online saying it was the scariest movie ever. Not so sure on that. Had its moments, but I think there are scarier. Anyone else seen it?
I kicked off last year's OHMC with Veronica. I thought it was good, but didn't really do anything new. Certainly calling it the scariest movie ever is a massive exaggeration.
Old 10-11-19, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

For today's theme I watched Call Girl of Cthulhu, a Hamiltonbook blind buy. I could tell that the guys who made the movie really know Lovecraft's work because the film is crammed with references to his stories, The production looks like it was financed by the coins they found under their couch cushions, and the acting ranges from convincing to community theater, but it kept my attention despite its many defects. The plot involves a nerdy artist who falls in love with a prostitute who is destined to become the vessel for You Know Who's offspring. Hilarity ensues.
Old 10-11-19, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I guess this would count as an equipment failure. But it’s not on my end. My internet has been down for hours. And when I checked down detector, there were some comments about it being down for days in some places.
Old 10-11-19, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
I kicked off last year's OHMC with Veronica. I thought it was good, but didn't really do anything new. Certainly calling it the scariest movie ever is a massive exaggeration.
Ya, it was good, but nothing different or too extreme. I think the hype kind of killed it, sadly.
Old 10-11-19, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Caught SiREN for today's theme. It was more enjoyable than I was expecting but didn't bring the scary/creepy vibe or have the ominous feeling the V/H/S segment did. Sort of a From Dusk Till Dawn and Bordello of Blood hybrid, just without the obnoxious Dennis Miller character or vampires. Possibly the 3rd or 4th film I've caught with a Charlie Day lookalike (this one named Mac).

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Everyone seems to hate on Doom Asylum but I thought it was fun. Am I the only one that enjoyed it?
No, caught it for yesterday's theme and had fun with it, although nothing I haven't seen before. It's always nice seeing Patty Mullen without her Frankenhooker makeup on.
Old 10-11-19, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

^Siren was my "Biggest Surprise Winner" in my '17 Challenge. Glad you liked it too.

Btw, I've got to say it's been a pretty relaxing challenge for me since I've ditched the Drive-In Totals this year. In a way, I'm doing this in honor to replicate how my list looked in the first challenge back in '05. *sniffles*
Old 10-11-19, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

All is right in the world now. Not only is my internet back up, but tonight I will be going on a Haunted Hay Ride at a neighbor’s farm.
Old 10-11-19, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Just finished The Blackcoat's Daughter for the first time...

Wow, that was such a downer film, but it will resonate with me every time I think about it. The main girl, who's now the star of The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, did such a terrific job. It's another one that people should watch blind for anyone who's not seen it already. Slow, slow movie, to the point where I was getting impatient, but I felt like it paid off in the end.
Old 10-11-19, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, that was such a downer film, but it will resonate with me every time I think about it. The main girl, who's now the star of The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, did such a terrific job. It's another one that people should watch blind for anyone who's not seen it already. Slow, slow movie, to the point where I was getting impatient, but I felt like it paid off in the end.
I own the DVD (or is it blu ray) and stopped watching like maybe 20-30 mins in. Got bored. May give it another try as I did that with Goodnight Mommy and then restarted it a year later and loved it.
Old 10-11-19, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jacob_b
I own the DVD (or is it blu ray) and stopped watching like maybe 20-30 mins in. Got bored. May give it another try as I did that with Goodnight Mommy and then restarted it a year later and loved it.
I believe this was my second try, too. I'd still say the pacing is probably going to be frustrating if you're not ready for a slower movie. Just be sure to have a comedy or something light on deck, because this stuff is dark.

That said... confession time: I've never seen a single sequel to Prom Night, The Howling, or Leprechaun (besides Returns). I realize the agony and pain I'm going to inflict on myself, but I'm going to get them done by the end of this challenge.
Old 10-11-19, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

I watched this for the challenge last year, and agree. What I wrote in my list thread:

I went into this pretty blind (only reading the synopsis and seeing it got solid reviews), which can be a blessing or a curse for this movie. It takes its time getting where its going, with no apparent "horror" until the last 30 minutes or so. I think if you have the patience, can handle a non-linear story, and can get into the lonely cold atmosphere that it is ultimately rewarding. And compared to the pace of writer/director Oz Perkins' followup I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House, this was a barn-burner!
That said... confession time: I've never seen a single sequel to Prom Night, The Howling, or Leprechaun (besides Returns). I realize the agony and pain I'm going to inflict on myself, but I'm going to get them done by the end of this challenge.
Isn't that more a reflection of good taste rather than something you feel the need to confess about? I've only seen Howling II, which was enough for me. I suppose that movie can be enjoyed somewhat now that people know going in it's crap. I remember catching it on cable in the 80s, hopeful it came reasonably close to the first movie. It didn't.

Speaking of slow-burn horror ... has anyone seen the new Suspiria? Looking through people's lists for this year I only see it listed by one other person (who wrote "I really wanted to see this ... I wish I didn't" ). It's on Amazon Prime (which I believe was behind the production). I can see how many will hate it and I think you have to be in the right frame of mind. But it worked for me. I'm ok with remakes of classic horror movies, if they go in a completely different direction and style (like The Thing, The Fly, The Blob, Cat People ... hey, the 80s were pretty good for horror remakes!). In the new Suspiria, instead of vibrant colors we get a washed-out look. Instead of electric Goblin music you get moody Radiohead. Instead of Dario Argento's style (who's on record as hating this remake) you get a director who's making something in the style of Rainer Fassbinder.
Old 10-11-19, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

RIP, Robert Forster. I'll see if I can get a hold of Maniac Cop 3 by the end of the month.
Old 10-11-19, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Isn't that more a reflection of good taste rather than something you feel the need to confess about? I've only seen Howling II, which was enough for me. I suppose that movie can be enjoyed somewhat now that people know going in it's crap. I remember catching it on cable in the 80s, hopeful it came reasonably close to the first movie. It didn't.
I am glad someone else enjoyed Blackcoat's Daughter. It's a move that wouldn't be for everyone, but it's still in my head two movies later...

The non-viewing of bad sequels could be a reflection of good taste, but when I started doing these horror challenges, I was told that going through crappy sequels are kind of a rite of passage for a true horror fan. Kind of a way of paying dues. I don't necessarily agree or disagree with that statement, but I feel like it's time to endure it. I'm most apprehensive of The Howling sequels, as I don't even really enjoy the first one all that much and hear they're the worst.

Old 10-11-19, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I believe this was my second try, too. I'd still say the pacing is probably going to be frustrating if you're not ready for a slower movie. Just be sure to have a comedy or something light on deck, because this stuff is dark.

I've seen some real dark stuff. Kind of want to go a little darker but spread apart. I'd rather have dark than some of the very boring horror films I've put myself through.

You know, Leprechaun isn't too bad with sequels. That's got some of that light comedy and laughs here and there. Stay far away from the newest one (trash) but if you like silly (stoner) comedy, you'd be ok with that series.

Speaking of slow-burn horror ... has anyone seen the new Suspiria? Looking through people's lists for this year I only see it listed by one other person (who wrote "I really wanted to see this ... I wish I didn't" ). It's on Amazon Prime (which I believe was behind the production). I can see how many will hate it and I think you have to be in the right frame of mind. But it worked for me. I'm ok with remakes of classic horror movies, if they go in a completely different direction and style (like The Thing, The Fly, The Blob, Cat People ... hey, the 80s were pretty good for horror remakes!). In the new Suspiria, instead of vibrant colors we get a washed-out look. Instead of electric Goblin music you get moody Radiohead. Instead of Dario Argento's style (who's on record as hating this remake) you get a director who's making something in the style of Rainer Fassbinder.
I wanted to see the remake of Suspiria. Thanks for the tip it's on Prime. Do you know where I can watch the original first? Want to watch them back to back and lost my DVD of it.
Old 10-12-19, 12:37 AM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Anyone catch "Little Monsters" on Hulu yet?

Thought it was okay...Josh Gad had some fun moments.
Old 10-12-19, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

I was hoping to get a couple more movies in today. I was fortunate/unfortunate enough to be able to leave work early today. I seemed to have slept wrong last night and woke up with a sore neck and shoulders. After getting to work, everything started getting tighter and tighter. Went to the doctor, he said I essentially had a big charley horse across my neck and shoulders. The drugs (muscle relaxers and pain pills) put me to sleep a couple of times necessitating rewinding for one film and another still pending a restart from the last point of recollection. I also went in search of a program from a premiere I went to way back in the day. I took longer than anticipated but mission accomplished. Luckily, as we close in on 2 a.m. here, my back, neck and shoulders finally seem to be relaxing and slowly getting their range of motion back. Hopefully the trend will continue tomorrow. Between that and the forecast of rain tomorrow, it gives me a pretty good excuse to stay in and watch some horror movies. Maybe I'll even be able to stay awake better.

Originally Posted by Chad
Thanks, I have fun making them. Always been a fan of retro poster art and enjoy creating my own little universe. Unfortunately the massive copyright issues might be a bit of a hindrance if I tried to sell them.
My sister has gotten really into finding birthday and Christmas gifts for me through Etsy. For when I was turning 40, she got the idea to do a poster with all different film posters from the year I was born. She couldn't find anyone in the United States willing to do it for her because of copyright issues. She finally found someone out of Greece. It would have been really cool to have chosen all the posters myself, but my sister did a pretty good job of putting a few big favorites and some big hits of the time. It was a cool gift.

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Joker 2019 with a wildcard or too much of a stretch?
I know many have said they are using it without a wildcard. Maybe we can get a blanket declaration of wildcard or not, although it probably doesn't matter too much. I know I rarely use my wildcards.

This actually reminds me of something I was thinking about. It may not be met with the warmest reception, but I had an idea for a theme next year, though it might be a little tricky. How about a horror movies not classified as horror theme? I know there are several films that we all count and accept as horror, use year after year, but IMDB and/or AllMovie don't classify them as such. I'm pretty sure we've even used some of them. There are quite a few possibilities, some of which might be too borderline, but it might make for interesting discussion about what makes horror and if that particular film achieves it. It also gives people a possible free day to watch films that are borderline or try some new movies that you might not watch ordinarily because you're not sure if it's horror enough. It would sort of be like a one-day good faith amnesty period for films you honestly think should be considered horror or have enough horror elements for you to suspect it's horror. Sorry, it's too late. I'm rambling.

Possible examples (I know we've used some): Silence of the Lambs, Wallace and Gromit in Curse of the Were-Rabbit, Black Swan, Requiem for a Dream, Dial M for Murder, Frenzy, 10 Rillington Place, Teen Wolf (I know many have used it during the challenge), ParaNorman, The Vanishing (I've seen the original on many horror lists), Rocky Horror Picture Show, Copycat, Joker
Old 10-12-19, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Vicious Lips may be the most gloriously 80s thing since New Coke and Trickle Down Economics
Old 10-12-19, 09:45 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
RIP, Robert Forster. I'll see if I can get a hold of Maniac Cop 3 by the end of the month.
It's on Amazon Prime, if that helps. I may watch that one tonight, as well as Mulholland Drive.
Old 10-12-19, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I know many have said they are using it without a wildcard. Maybe we can get a blanket declaration of wildcard or not, although it probably doesn't matter too much. I know I rarely use my wildcards.

This actually reminds me of something I was thinking about. It may not be met with the warmest reception, but I had an idea for a theme next year, though it might be a little tricky. How about a horror movies not classified as horror theme? I know there are several films that we all count and accept as horror, use year after year, but IMDB and/or AllMovie don't classify them as such. I'm pretty sure we've even used some of them. There are quite a few possibilities, some of which might be too borderline, but it might make for interesting discussion about what makes horror and if that particular film achieves it. It also gives people a possible free day to watch films that are borderline or try some new movies that you might not watch ordinarily because you're not sure if it's horror enough. It would sort of be like a one-day good faith amnesty period for films you honestly think should be considered horror or have enough horror elements for you to suspect it's horror. Sorry, it's too late. I'm rambling.

Possible examples (I know we've used some): Silence of the Lambs, Wallace and Gromit in Curse of the Were-Rabbit, Black Swan, Requiem for a Dream, Dial M for Murder, Frenzy, 10 Rillington Place, Teen Wolf (I know many have used it during the challenge), ParaNorman, The Vanishing (I've seen the original on many horror lists), Rocky Horror Picture Show, Copycat, Joker
I like that idea. It's creative, although it might lead to silliness like listing Bambi as a horror movie (the death of Bambi's mom is pretty scary)
Old 10-12-19, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Man, oh man... I just got out of the hospital with pneumonia. Been in since early Wednesday morning. Missed the past 3 days of scoring.
But the good part is that I'm going to be off recovering with no much to do. Except mainly you know what... So I should be able to do some Catch-up. Maybe even surpass my goals.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.