Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 15th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 09-04-19, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 15th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 10-08-19, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 15th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Got around to seeing In the Tall Grass ... and maybe I should've listened to reviews. Ah, who am I kidding ... in October I'm watching it anyway. It wasn't bad, but felt like a good 30 minute story stretched way too thin up to 100 minutes.
Old 10-09-19, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 15th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

There's another Blu between Children Of The Corn & Slugs in the picture that isn't on the list - C.H.U.D.

Originally Posted by Chad
HamiltonBook.com Prize Pack #1:

Spoiler:

DVDs
  • Frankenhooker
    • The Void
      • Puppet Master Trilogy
        • Stephen King Collection
          • Box of Monsters
            • Suspiria

Blu-rays
  • Children of the Corn
    • Slugs
      • House
        • Forbidden Photos of a Lady Above Suspicion
          • Strip Nude for Your Killer
            • The Stuff
              • Scared Stiff
                • Dead-End Drive-In
                  • Double Face
                    • Crimson Peak
                      • Pledge Night
                        • Mountaintop Motel Massacre
                          • The Vineyard
                            • Pets
                              • Splatter University
                                • Wacko
Old 10-09-19, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

MysterioMan007 is almost at 100...damn!
Old 10-09-19, 03:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm at 35 right now, and even I'm questioning how I did 10-11 a day back in 2012 lol. I was crazy.

From the last few days the only films of note I saw were The Devil's Rock - the ending was weak, but loved the build-up; creepy, tense and some great acting - and my boyfriend dragged me out to see the Joker, which I don't really think is a horror film but it was very good. I don't like the superhero films much but ones like this and Logan and They Call Me Jeeg aren't really like that.
Old 10-09-19, 04:42 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Your packs are very appreciated, GW! Thank you!

Originally Posted by jacob_b
MysterioMan007 is almost at 100...damn!
That's incredible! Any highlights so far?
Old 10-09-19, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by cwileyy
Your packs are very appreciated, GW! Thank you!

That's incredible! Any highlights so far?
It's been the only perk of having the world's worst cold that won't go away. Most of the stuff I've watched have been re-watches of the usual 80's stuff that I like, but as far as new views go, the ones I liked the most were probably Anna and the Apocalypse, The Autopsy of Jane Doe, Escape Room, and Crawl.

Last edited by MysterioMan007; 10-09-19 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-09-19, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Golden wheel always knocks it out of the park. This year is no different. Much appreciated.
Old 10-09-19, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Very nice prize packs GoldenWheels!

Thanks to everyone who recommended White God. Really thought it was good.
Spoiler:
I figured I had misread the horror tag on that one until the last 20 minutes.
Old 10-09-19, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Thanks to everyone who recommended White God. Really thought it was good.
Spoiler:
I figured I had misread the horror tag on that one until the last 20 minutes.
White God was a nice slow burn and I was surprised myself. It artfully balanced the absurd and the serious to pull off an ultimately heavy film that could have been laughable.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-09-19 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-09-19, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Last week I was given a $50 Amazon gift card. Until today, I didn’t know what to do with it. But a fruitful trip to a local thrift store gave me inspiration. I found a Season 2 set of Tales From The Crypt that was missing disc 1. So I looked on Amazon and found digital copies of the show. Not only did I buy the missing episodes, but I also bought Season 1 and 3. I also discovered that the revival series of Dark Shadows is available on Prime. I remember that show fondly.
Old 10-09-19, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I was working out of town Oct 1-7 so I couldn't really dive into the challenge (well as "diving" as I usually get anyway) until yesterday.

As usual, it's been a hectic (and rainy) last couple of weeks, so my wife, daughter, and sister put up most of the outdoor Halloween decorations when I was working in San Diego last week. I spent yesterday putting my own final touches on the front yard (and running a few errands). I broke for lunch and watched an episode of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Watched House in the evening.
Old 10-09-19, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
It's been the only perk of having the world's worst cold that won't go away. Most of the stuff I've watched have been re-watches of the usual 80's stuff that I like, but as far as new views go, the ones I liked the most were probably Anna and the Apocalypse, The Autopsy of Jane Doe, Escape Room, and Crawl.
Ya, if I had a cold I would just watch movies and sleep as well. Don't blame ya there. LOVED Jane Doe last year when I saw it. Very well done film and creepy.

If anyone wants a roller coaster of a movie, I'd recommend The Perfection on Netflix. I was thrown for a loop a couple of times.
Old 10-09-19, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

That blackout turned out to only last about 4 hours. But I still want to give those radio dramas a shot!

Originally Posted by Darth Maher

As usual, it's been a hectic (and rainy) last couple of weeks, so my wife, daughter, and sister put up most of the outdoor Halloween decorations when I was working in San Diego last week. I spent yesterday putting my own final touches on the front yard (and running a few errands).
Let's see them!
My yard hasn't changed much in the past few years. The spider's the only new addition this year.
Spoiler:

Old 10-09-19, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If anyone wants a roller coaster of a movie, I'd recommend The Perfection on Netflix. I was thrown for a loop a couple of times.
I just watched this last night and really liked it. It's best to go into knowing as little as possible (and especially avoid detailed reviews which generally spoil things).

I've been clearing out my Netflix and Amazon Prime queues. Yesterday on Netflix I also really enjoyed Errementari. I imagine this is a movie that has most people passing just based on the title. I found it a fun dark fairy tale (but certainly qualifies for this challenge) and the only movie I've ever seen in the Basque language.

It didn't quite hit the landing, but for the most part I really liked Cam (also on Netflix). I think I liked it more for the non-horror parts, since the world of camgirls was fascinating (and more than a bit creepy and disturbing on its own). It wasn't surprising to find out that the screenwriter was a camgirl herself, and incorporated a lot of real-world experiences into the fictional story.
Old 10-09-19, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

It's been confirmed - Joe Bob’s Halloween Hootenanny on Shudder will be a triple feature streaming live at 9PM EST on 10/25.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/358...ig9svDon3694GY

Sounds like the original 1978 Halloween will be one of the features. I might actually consider watching it then, which would be the first time watching it before Halloween day since forever. No hints so far on the other two.
Shudder has Halloween 4 & 5 as well, so I'm thinking those might be the other 2.
Old 10-09-19, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ya, if I had a cold I would just watch movies and sleep as well. Don't blame ya there. LOVED Jane Doe last year when I saw it. Very well done film and creepy.

I'm watching The Perfection now. At first, I was a little worried I wasn't going to like it, but now at about the halfway mark, I'm like WTF...

EDIT: The whole movie ended up being WTF, but in a good way...I'm not sure I'll ever watch it again, but it's a movie that went in a few different directions I never saw coming.

Last edited by MysterioMan007; 10-09-19 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-09-19, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by KaBluie
There's another Blu between Children Of The Corn & Slugs in the picture that isn't on the list - C.H.U.D.
Got it, thanks.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Last week I was given a $50 Amazon gift card. Until today, I didn’t know what to do with it. But a fruitful trip to a local thrift store gave me inspiration. I found a Season 2 set of Tales From The Crypt that was missing disc 1. So I looked on Amazon and found digital copies of the show. Not only did I buy the missing episodes, but I also bought Season 1 and 3. I also discovered that the revival series of Dark Shadows is available on Prime. I remember that show fondly.
Thanks for the heads up on the Dark Shadows revival. That and the unaired 2004 pilot are the only DS-related versions I've yet to see, just never got around to picking up the now OOP DVD set.

Originally Posted by T-bone22
Shudder has Halloween 4 & 5 as well, so I'm thinking those might be the other 2.
Maybe, but he did go in the opposite direction with the Phantasm films for the Christmas special. I'd personally like to see him revisit Halloween III, which he notoriously criticized on MonsterVision. It'd be interesting to hear his updated take on it despite recently acknowledging he still feels that way. It's also possibly since Shudder occasionally acquires titles just for his show that he requests.

And these two agree:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 10-09-19, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

I'd personally like to see him revisit Halloween III, which he notoriously criticized on MonsterVision. It'd be interesting to hear his updated take on it despite recently acknowledging he still feels that way.
Hell yes, I'd love to see it happen. Big Halloween III fan here.
Old 10-09-19, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by brainee
I just watched this last night and really liked it. It's best to go into knowing as little as possible (and especially avoid detailed reviews which generally spoil things).

I've been clearing out my Netflix and Amazon Prime queues. Yesterday on Netflix I also really enjoyed Errementari. I imagine this is a movie that has most people passing just based on the title. I found it a fun dark fairy tale (but certainly qualifies for this challenge) and the only movie I've ever seen in the Basque language.

It didn't quite hit the landing, but for the most part I really liked Cam (also on Netflix). I think I liked it more for the non-horror parts, since the world of camgirls was fascinating (and more than a bit creepy and disturbing on its own). It wasn't surprising to find out that the screenwriter was a camgirl herself, and incorporated a lot of real-world experiences into the fictional story.
Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
I'm watching The Perfection now. At first, I was a little worried I wasn't going to like it, but now at about the halfway mark, I'm like WTF...

EDIT: The whole movie ended up being WTF, but in a good way...I'm not sure I'll ever watch it again, but it's a movie that went in a few different directions I never saw coming.
I'll have to check out those two movies. Ya I watched The Perfection last night as well and kind of shoot myself in the foot watching the trailer so saw one of the twists happening. But from then on, just WOW. Might be worth to watch one more time knowing the twists and seeing if I missed something (and I do enjoy Williams) but def not going to watch after that. Knowing the twist of any movie kind of kills the film with different viewings.
Old 10-09-19, 09:02 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Love Halloween III too. I think if it were called anything else and not associated with the Halloween franchise, it would be accepted more. Love Tom Atkins too.
Old 10-09-19, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also on Netflix, I liked the recent Israeli The Golem. Reviewer comments had me expecting something arty and slow-moving, but I thought this had a mainstream feel to it (despite being a period piece). If you're familiar with other tellings of the story (including the 60s Japanese Daimajan movies), you shouldn't expect a wall-to-wall monster movie. But I was surprised at how gory this ended up being when the title creature lets loose. And this also fits into the sub-genre of killer children.
Old 10-10-19, 07:16 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Also on Netflix, I liked the recent Israeli The Golem. Reviewer comments had me expecting something arty and slow-moving, but I thought this had a mainstream feel to it (despite being a period piece). If you're familiar with other tellings of the story (including the 60s Japanese Daimajan movies), you shouldn't expect a wall-to-wall monster movie. But I was surprised at how gory this ended up being when the title creature lets loose. And this also fits into the sub-genre of killer children.
I watched the Golem on Netflix as well and i enjoyed the updated modern interpretation.
Old 10-10-19, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Voorheeshulk
Love Halloween III too. I think if it were called anything else and not associated with the Halloween franchise, it would be accepted more. Love Tom Atkins too.
I’ve always felt the same way about III.
Old 10-10-19, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Someone earlier was talking about The Golem and The Lifechanger, (both on Netflix). I really enjoyed The Lifechanger and felt it was a really unique film with an interesting premise. I've read a lot of good things about Perfection as well, and should watch it this weekend.
Old 10-10-19, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm really surprised there was never a documentary made on the Poltergeist series. There's so much behind-the-scenes material there in addition to just the movies themselves.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.