Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 15th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 09-04-19, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 15th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-19, 07:40 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 15th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Wow, looks like MM007 is hellbent on breaking his own record for most views. I thought I was crazy the years I did like 14 hours of viewing a day all month, but you’re doing like 18-20! Hope you keep your health and sanity!
Old 10-26-19, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 15th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Originally Posted by Trevor
Wow, looks like MM007 is hellbent on breaking his own record for most views. I thought I was crazy the years I did like 14 hours of viewing a day all month, but you’re doing like 18-20! Hope you keep your health and sanity!
I don't think I'll be able to do it, though. We had an extra day this time as well. The first time I did it, I had a major death in the family and had left my job due to that death, so I wasn't sleeping much at all during that month. This time, I haven't been working due to illness, so my health is what has me at home, but it's nothing serious. I'm usually in bed from about 2-7 right now, so an average of 18-19 hours sounds about right. Finally feeling better, but I'm going to attempt to do it since I've come this far. I knew a guy once who did 400+ on another forum. Granted, he watched a lot of those old black and white movies that last an average of about an hour. I couldn't do a whole month of those, though, so I'll probably never even sniff that much. I had one bad dream this month, but other than that I've been enjoying the time off and rewatching a lot of my favorites while also diving into a few first-time views as well.
Old 10-26-19, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

It's been a really good day. I was struggling to finish Valentine last night, and I finally quit, planning to finish it this morning. It was a real slog for me. The only thing that could cleanse my palate from a superhero movie was chocolate chip pumpkin pancakes!

I watched Sweetheart and really loved it. Thanks for the recommendation everyone. The twist which I expected never materialized, so my faith in humanity is restored. My 80s fix was completely filled with the spandex and leotards from Death Spa. I'm watching Kolobos (1999) right now, and I seem to be in the zone where everything is clicking for me. I may try and fit 2 more in, and I'm pretty sure one of them will be Crawl (2019).
Old 10-26-19, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
I don't think I'll be able to do it, though. We had an extra day this time as well. The first time I did it, I had a major death in the family and had left my job due to that death, so I wasn't sleeping much at all during that month. This time, I haven't been working due to illness, so my health is what has me at home, but it's nothing serious. I'm usually in bed from about 2-7 right now, so an average of 18-19 hours sounds about right. Finally feeling better, but I'm going to attempt to do it since I've come this far. I knew a guy once who did 400+ on another forum. Granted, he watched a lot of those old black and white movies that last an average of about an hour. I couldn't do a whole month of those, though, so I'll probably never even sniff that much. I had one bad dream this month, but other than that I've been enjoying the time off and rewatching a lot of my favorites while also diving into a few first-time views as well.
I don't know how you do it. I work from home and my setup sucks that I got no desk or chair so work on my bed. I lay down a lot of the time lately and am getting these awful headaches. I'm thinking I got to walk around my house every hour or two for 5 minutes or so. I couldn't do almost 20 hours of watching TV and not getting much sleep. No idea how you are doing it.
Old 10-26-19, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Starting get a little dissappointed as the month is getting closer to a finish. Say it Ain't so.
Old 10-26-19, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jacob_b
I don't know how you do it. I work from home and my setup sucks that I got no desk or chair so work on my bed. I lay down a lot of the time lately and am getting these awful headaches. I'm thinking I got to walk around my house every hour or two for 5 minutes or so. I couldn't do almost 20 hours of watching TV and not getting much sleep. No idea how you are doing it.
During normal months, I average about 6 hours of sleep a night. I've never been much of a heavy sleeper anyway, but I'm only getting 1 less hour than I normally do. Occasionally, it will catch up to me and I will crash for 8-10, but I'd say that happens about once a month or so... I did a similar challenge on another forum before I came here, so I have some strategies down. I don't have any kids (by choice), so that helps. I have a big room with a coffee table for my laptop, a couch for resting, a great big TV, and plenty of open space in the room for me to move around. This is a busy time for most of my friends/girlfriend, so texting is easy enough as well. I eat a ton of pizza during October, but being sick has kind of killed my desire to go out and do much, too. But I'm almost over it now. Starting November 1, I will scale back massively for the comedy stuff. But, you have to really, really love the horror genre to do it. Otherwise, it won't work. That said, I see this as my last time to be off during the entire month. It's only the second time I've ever had this month off since I've been working...
Old 10-26-19, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Actually ended up watching the new Pet Semetary. I've found myself repeating all of Lithgow's lines with a new england accent aka Fred Gwynne. It's the alcohol talking I'm sure.
Old 10-27-19, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I went to my local Alamo Drafthouse for the first time to see the Terminator 1 and 2 double feature. I was impressed by the quality of the service and the food and the comfort of the seats. I was thinking about Wild Carding them, and a case could be made for the first Terminator as a killer robot horror flick, but I won't count them..

Last edited by Gobear; 10-27-19 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-27-19, 02:11 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Unfortunately, things have slowed down for me due to work. But, still having a great time and will be cramming in as much as I can until the end! I'm also doing better than I have since 2015! (Currently at 46, hit 55 in 2015)

I caught The Lighthouse in theaters on Thursday, and that's my favorite movie of the year so far (not just for the challenge, but overall). It was one of the weirdest, absolutely insane movies I've ever seen, and I really hope that it does find an audience. It does have some horror elements, but it's definitely not a scary film and was much funnier than I expected. Willem Dafoe was incredible, and Pattinson did great as well.

Originally Posted by lrend

Thanks for the warning. I never watched the first one and then I saw the trailer for the second one, while I was watching another movie, and in the trailer they told you who the "bad guy" was in the original so that kinda ruined it for me and I decided that I would probably never watch either one.
RE: Happy Death Day, I also saw the trailer to the second one before seeing the first but didn't find that it detracted from the movie for me. I'd say it's still worth seeing, it was better than I expected and despite the trailer it still had some surprises! Still need to see the sequel.

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
If anyone is looking for an actually funny horror comedy, check out Hell Baby (2013) if you haven't seen it. I have watched it several times and it makes me laugh out loud a good bit.
I'll also say that Hell Baby was really fun. Though not perfect, it was way better than I expected it to be, and I found it to be really funny in the same style of The Babysitter and Little Evil, though I liked this more.

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Well, the directors of American Mary did do See No Evil 2, so makes sense why she did that and got to work with Danielle Harris. Shocking how See No Evil 2 didn't do too well with those involved. Soska Sisters kind of, outside of social media, disappeared as well too. But Ginger Snaps and American Mary are both "cult/indy" films and she never did break out in mainstream.
The Soska Sisters have a remake of Cronenberg's Rabid that's currently on the festival circuit. It's getting pretty good reviews.

QUOTE=WillieMLF;13628575]For the third year in a row, I've watched We Are What We Are (2013). I've always liked the escalating tension coming with the storms. The first time I saw it I felt like I was watching some mystery thriller, but the last 1/3 provided all the horror one needs. I'm curious if anyone has seen the original Mexican version and can comment....[/QUOTE]

I've seen the original Mexican film, and prefer the remake - though they're actually very different. The original was very slow, and I didn't find myself caring about the characters too much. The remake takes the bones of the original story, improved upon it, and makes it its own unique thing. I actually saw the original first and was underwhelmed, so it was a surprise to have enjoyed the remake as much as I did.

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
And I actually did make it to 100 (as of yesterday). Had a perfect storm situation at the first of the month and got off to a slower than usual start, but things have calmed down so I've had more time to watch stuff. With a little luck I'll be completely through my unwatched pile after the weekend.
That's amazing. Every year this is my goal, but I don't know that I'll ever finish my unwatched pile...

Originally Posted by JOE29
Starting get a little dissappointed as the month is getting closer to a finish. Say it Ain't so.
I understand this exactly. My mind gets in Halloween mode around August (or really, once this thread comes up), and even still, I feel like it wasn't enough time.
Old 10-27-19, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
I went to my local Alamo Drafthouse for the first time to see the Terminator 1 and 1 double feature. I was impressed by the quality of the service and the food and the comfort of the seats. I was thinking about Wild Carding them, and a case could be made for the first Terminator as a killer robot horror flick, but I won't count them..
After mentioning a theme for horror movies that aren't horror, I briefly started to make a list. The first Terminator film was one of the ones on the list. I think the first one should totally qualify. Arnold stalking all the different Sarah Connors scared me as a kid.
Old 10-27-19, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

One final reminder for trivia question III:

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by Chad

Sunday Night Trivia Question: Banner Edition + Bonus Giveaway

This year's banner remains unfinished, but it contains more images than previously used in the the past.

All you have to do is NAME 10 MOVIES USED IN THE BANNER. There's hundreds of images used, so plenty to choose from.

Easy access for the lazy:

Spoiler:

Hints:
1. A few images are from other sources other than film posters.
2. Some films have multiple images used.
3. Some images have been slightly altered.
4. International posters are often used.
5. There's a few repeats from past banners.
6. Some are outside the horror genre, and those can be used as well.

Everyone that gets at least 10 correct answers will be entered into a drawing and Random.org will decide the outcome.

Submit your answers to me via PM or email (one entry per person).

You'll be playing for the very well-stacked HamiltonBook.com Prize Pack #3:

Spoiler:

One extremely lucky winner will receive (USA only please):

DVDs
  • Frankenhooker
  • The Void
  • Puppet Master Trilogy
  • Stephen King Collection
  • Box of Monsters
  • Suspiria

Blu-rays
  • Prey
  • House II
  • Iguana with the Tongue of Fire
  • Toys are not for Children
  • Kolobos
  • Chill Factor
  • Bloody Birthday
  • Color Me Blood Red
  • Killer Nun
  • She-Devil’s on Wheels
  • Beware My Brethren
  • There’s Nothing Out There
  • Uninvited
  • Battle For the Lost Planet/Mutant War
  • Children
  • Dominique

Courtesy of...

The Bonus Giveaway

This year's logo (also found on the banner) contains images taken from 5 films. Name at least 1 of the 5 films (from posters) used:

Hints 2,4, 5, and 6 apply to this one.

You're playing for a Blu-ray title of your choice courtesy of Vinegar Syndrome -or- Synapse.

Courtesy of...

Random.org will determine the winner.

Contest is open until next Sunday's trivia question begins.

Good luck.

Old 10-27-19, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
After mentioning a theme for horror movies that aren't horror, I briefly started to make a list. The first Terminator film was one of the ones on the list. I think the first one should totally qualify. Arnold stalking all the different Sarah Connors scared me as a kid.
Seconded. The first Terminator is truly frightening. I watched this before the challenge and was amazed at how much of a horror movie it actually was... if the sequels hadn't been made and turned the series into sci-fi/action, I think the original Terminator would be remembered more as a horror movie. Arnold was one scary mofo in that.
Old 10-27-19, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

It seems a bit pricey but I am a sucker for retrospectives and having my name in the credits.

Available until midnight Halloween.
https://80shorrordoc.com
Old 10-27-19, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

OK, I'll count the first one.
Old 10-27-19, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
It seems a bit pricey but I am a sucker for retrospectives and having my name in the credits.

So its not available to purchase after Halloween?
Old 10-27-19, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
So its not available to purchase after Halloween?
Yes, that’s the hook, they are not selling it on disc again after that time. Supposedly. I would still expect them to license it after awhile though for steaming.
Old 10-27-19, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is virtually impossible to avoid Cameron Mitchell in this challenge. The most recent siting was in Trapped Alive, and it was the usual - sitting down, drink in hand, and comfortably away from any action going down.

Originally Posted by SterlingBen

I really love these type of docs. Bought it back in March from the Indiegogo campaign. It was supposed to arrive before Halloween, got delayed several times, and now the ETA's uncertain. They did email backers a link to watch via Vimeo On Demand, but with my luck the Blu would arrive the very next day if I watched it now.

They're also doing two more - In Search of Tomorrow (Sci-Fi) and In Search of the Last Action Heroes.
Old 10-27-19, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts

^So has anyone actually seen it? Is it any good?

Not keen on dropping 60 bucks on a whim.
Old 10-27-19, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Has anyone else watched Lars von Trier's The House That Jack Built for the challenge? Still haven't digested how I feel about it. Matt Dillon was great and there certainly some striking (and horrific) moments. And there were also points that seemed tedious and pretentious (and had me struggling to make it through the 150+ minute running time). Though having seen everything else from Lars von Trier I can't say I didn't see those issues coming.
Old 10-27-19, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

This limited run of In Search of Darkness is only available until midnight Halloween. This is your last chance to order the documentary in time for Christmas!
It sounds like this printing is only available for purchase until Halloween. I wouldn't be surprised to see a second printing go up at another time or a MoD copy some day. Or they might just sell it as a digital download.
Old 10-27-19, 05:47 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by cwileyy
I caught The Lighthouse in theaters on Thursday, and that's my favorite movie of the year so far (not just for the challenge, but overall). It was one of the weirdest, absolutely insane movies I've ever seen, and I really hope that it does find an audience. It does have some horror elements, but it's definitely not a scary film and was much funnier than I expected. Willem Dafoe was incredible, and Pattinson did great as well.
I saw The Lighthouse this afternoon and agree with all of the above. It's an amazing movie and one I'll be thinking about (and figuring out) for a while. Visually beautiful, and yes, the performances are great.
Old 10-27-19, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Has anyone else watched Lars von Trier's The House That Jack Built for the challenge? Still haven't digested how I feel about it. Matt Dillon was great and there certainly some striking (and horrific) moments. And there were also points that seemed tedious and pretentious (and had me struggling to make it through the 150+ minute running time). Though having seen everything else from Lars von Trier I can't say I didn't see those issues coming.
I've heard about this when it came out and read reviews about it being pretentious. I did confuse myself and thought it was Matt DAMON who starred in it. How did you end up seeing it?
Old 10-27-19, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And the winner of the third trivia question is...

Darkgod

Congratulations! You're now the owner of the HamiltonBook.com Prize Pack #3:

Spoiler:

Courtesy of...

The winner of the bonus question is...

Voorheeshulk

Congratulations! You're now the owner of a Blu-ray title of your choice from either Synapse -or- Vinegar Syndrome!

Courtesy of...

The correct answers for the bonus (there were six, I mistakenly said five) ...

The floating heads within the cubes are from the Japanese poster of Cube (1997):

Spoiler:

The skull with red eyes, electricity, and hands outreached are from Sole Survivor (1983):

Spoiler:

The arms lifting the weights are from The Toxic Avenger (1984):

Spoiler:

The hand with a spiked fingerless glove coming out of the multi-colored cube holding the electric guitar is from Hard Rock Zombies (1985):

Spoiler:

The multi-colored cube itself is from the Japanese poster of Demons (1985):

Spoiler:

It was previously used in the 2018 banner and bonus question.

The television with the ring image onscreen within the word "movie" is from Scary Movie 3 (2003):

Spoiler:

Answers to the banner images used coming soon ...possibly. (It's been temporarily misplaced).

Old 10-27-19, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sunday Night Trivia Question IV: The Final Chapter

Easing back into turn-off-your-brain territory.

"Samhain, also known as All Hallows' Eve, also known as Halloween. Pre-dating Christianity, the Celtic holiday was celebrated on the one night between autumn and winter when the barrier between the living and the dead was thinnest and often involved rituals that included human sacrifice. "

The big day is coming, and we're celebrating. Since Joe Bob Briggs just covered a certain masked shape from Haddonfield, Illinois with the features of a young Albino Captain Kirk being pursued by his geriatric psychiatrist, we're searching elsewhere.

Name 3 of your favorite Halloween-themed films that are not associated with the Halloween franchise.

IMDB list if you need inspiration.

That's it. There are no right or wrong answers. Randomly drawn. USA only please.

You're playing for the very well-stacked HamiltonBook.com Prize Pack #4:

Spoiler:

Blu-rays
  • Major and the Minor
  • Decoder
  • Cruising
  • FM
  • My Name is Julia Ross
  • So Dark the Night
  • Terraformers
  • Khrustalvov, My Car!
  • Sister Street Fighter Collection
  • Phantom Lady
  • Prisoner
  • Hold Back the Dawn
  • Keoma
  • Melo
  • Loveless
  • Big Clock
  • Gosford Park

Also note the note at the bottom:

"Will add a few surprises to this one before sending out."

Courtesy of...

Submit your answers to me via PM or email (one entry per person).

Contest is open until next Sunday, which is November 4th.

Good luck.

Old 10-27-19, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

I surpassed my initial goal of 75 which was previous challenge total. Once I passed 100 I decided I was gonna try for 138. I just discovered it’s gonna be a long work week. Guess I won’t be sleeping much.
Also If that doc had PayPal I’d have jumped at it in my drunken state.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.