DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

2019 Criterion Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-19, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: 2019 Criterion Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
Hey! I have major depressive disorder, too! *fist bump* Our paths have been similar, actually. When I participated in my first Criterion Challenge, I figured I'd scope out some Bergman since I'd heard his name in those circles. My first was Smiles of a Summer Night. I didn't fall in love with it, but I definitely recognized that this was a storyteller who could reach me. I was right! And I have often suspected that it's my depressed noggin that Bergman reaches.
We should form a MDD club! Our meetings will definitely be fun! It's interesting how my mental issues inform the what kinds of movies resonate with me. There's something about the bleakness of movies like Persona and The Passion of Anna that feels oddly comfortable to me. My brain can often be a bleak place, and it's nice to see a movie that correlates.

I love Smiles of a Summer Night and suggested to a friend that she start there when I gave her some of my Bergman DVDs. I think it's a good way to ease into Bergman's style before tackling his weightier films.
Old 08-13-19, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
We should form a MDD club! Our meetings will definitely be fun! It's interesting how my mental issues inform the what kinds of movies resonate with me. There's something about the bleakness of movies like Persona and The Passion of Anna that feels oddly comfortable to me. My brain can often be a bleak place, and it's nice to see a movie that correlates.

I love Smiles of a Summer Night and suggested to a friend that she start there when I gave her some of my Bergman DVDs. I think it's a good way to ease into Bergman's style before tackling his weightier films.
I can appreciate referring someone to start with Smiles of a Summer Night. It's certainly one of the lighter ones. I think my Bergman started kit would be:

Smiles of a Summer Night
Summer Interlude -or- Summer with Monika, depending on what I know about the person's taste
Wild Strawberries
Sawdust and Tinsel

I feel like Sawdust is the perfect microcosm of Bergman's storytelling. I think it does take a movie or two to acclimate to him, but once that's done, Sawdust seems to me like a strong barometer for whether that person is going to find much beyond that point to explore with enthusiasm. I would emphasize, of course, that it is recognized more as a second, rather than first tier Bergman film, so they understood that this is not the peak (though for many Wild Strawberries is).

(On a side note, speaking of meetings for MDD, a few years ago, I got involved with my local chapter of the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance, and it has made a world of difference in my management of my mental health. I would highly encourage anyone with such concerns to look into finding your nearest chapter.)
Old 08-13-19, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I have been working on the esthetic of my list and how to display it for this upcoming challenge. I think I'm done but I'll love to hear some of your comments/suggestions about it.

I think I'm going to subscribe to the Criterion Channel for a year. I have been thinking about it since they went live and this challenge will be incentive enough to get it.
Old 08-14-19, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have officially signed up for the Criterion Channel and ready for the Criterion Challenge.

I may have to start watching some of it early as I noticed that Swing Time will be leaving the channel by the end of August.
Old 08-18-19, 07:31 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't watch a lot of movies during this challenge but I did notice that when I put in Criterion in keywords my library has 901 choices. Obviously these aren't all Criterion releases but it looks like I have a solid beginning point for free.
Old 08-18-19, 07:34 AM

Dr. Strange, The Man Who Knew too Much, Judex and Straw Dogs are early contenders.
Old 08-18-19, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orlmac
Dr. Strange, The Man Who Knew too Much, Judex and Straw Dogs are early contenders.
Dr. Strange?
Old 08-18-19, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Dr. Strange?
Dr. Strangelove, perhaps? Somehow I don't see Disney giving permission for someone else to make money off of Marvel!
Old 08-18-19, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LJG765
Dr. Strangelove, perhaps? Somehow I don't see Disney giving permission for someone else to make money off of Marvel!
Okay that sounds more like it.

I already started watching Criterion movies even though the challenge doesn't start until the end of the month.

Since I subscribed to the channel, I have watched Swing Time, Dragon Inn and A Touch of Zen.
Old 08-21-19, 08:23 AM

Thanks for catching that and making it Dr. Strangelove LJG. I was so immersed in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge last month I guess I just shortened the name. Of course, I'll be watching Fantastic Mr. Fox to start things off. A little Guillermo del toro is possible also. At least I'll be watching any comments he has on any of the movies I watch.
Old 08-25-19, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've just checked the Channel and found the following animated films that would be dual-eligible for the last day of this month's Animation Challenge:

FEATURES
The Fabulous Baron Munchausen
The Plague Dogs
The Triplets of Belleville
Watership Down

SHORTS
Asparagus
Begone Dull Care
Bluebeard
Coda
Edmond Was a Donkey
Hunger
Logorama
Madame Tutli-Putli
Monkey Love Experiments
Solar Walk
Yearbook
Yours Faithfully, Edna Welthorpe (Mrs)
Old 08-25-19, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm working on my Top 10, but I've been stymied because I've had to have my laptop fixed, and have been relegated to using my phone for online stuff, which is hardly ideal. My key objective for the month is to go through my unlogged Criterion discs, most of which have come from the last few B&N sales. I have 15 discs, but a cumulative 35 features including commentary tracks, alternate music score tracks, and bonus films, and four shorts. Plus, of course, a gaggle of other supplements. I will have most of the checklist covered, so there's that.

Also! For anyone interested, Lawrence of Arabia is playing in theaters as the next of the TCM Big Screen Series on Sunday the 1st and Wednesday the 3rd. It had a LaserDisc release back in the day, so that's eligible for the challenge (and that part of the checklist!).
Old 08-25-19, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've just checked the Channel and found the following animated films that would be dual-eligible for the last day of this month's Animation Challenge:

FEATURES
The Fabulous Baron Munchausen
The Plague Dogs
The Triplets of Belleville
Watership Down

SHORTS
Asparagus
Begone Dull Care
Bluebeard
Coda
Edmond Was a Donkey
Hunger
Logorama
Madame Tutli-Putli
Monkey Love Experiments
Solar Walk
Yearbook
Yours Faithfully, Edna Welthorpe (Mrs)
Thanks, Travis! Looks like there are a couple that are listed already, but most of them seem like they are new (or new to the crossover list!) I'll post it over in the Animation Challenge as well.
Old 08-27-19, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm trying to watch The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976) and Don't Look Now (1973) before they leave the Criterion Channel at the end of the month.

Obviously they won't be counted for the challenge but I wanted to ask: Does anybody find boring The Man Who Fell to Earth? I'm 40 minutes into the movie and besides being in shock
Spoiler:
seeing Rip Torn penis (something that I didn't need to see
, should I stick with it? Does it get better? I find it really tedious and not really that interesting. It is my first time watching this movie.

I watched Don't Look Now long time ago so at least I'm familiar with it and look forward to watching it again.
Old 08-27-19, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just for clarification purposes, any movie that is currently streaming in September on the Criterion Channel is eligible but movies that were on the service on previous months but they are no longer streaming are not? Is that correct?
Old 08-27-19, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm trying to watch The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976) and Don't Look Now (1973) before they leave the Criterion Channel at the end of the month.

Obviously they won't be counted for the challenge but I wanted to ask: Does anybody find boring The Man Who Fell to Earth? I'm 40 minutes into the movie and besides being in shock
Spoiler:
seeing Rip Torn penis (something that I didn't need to see
, should I stick with it? Does it get better? I find it really tedious and not really that interesting. It is my first time watching this movie.

I watched Don't Look Now long time ago so at least I'm familiar with it and look forward to watching it again.
I watched it last month for the first time and no, it didn't get better for me. Was not a fan at all, really. I'm glad I was able to check it off my "to see" list, but it was a tough one to slog through. It's not even the length, it's just weird...odd...bizarre.

Old 08-28-19, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just for clarification purposes, any movie that is currently streaming in September on the Criterion Channel is eligible but movies that were on the service on previous months but they are no longer streaming are not? Is that correct?
That's...actually an interesting question! I don't recall an existing ruling on that. I can't see how this would be appreciably different from LaserDiscs that have not been issued on disc, or discs that have gone out of print. It would help if we had a reliable source of what those films are, though. Does anyone have one? I found this list on Letterboxd of the Launch Library, and I can find lists of what is currently available, but the stuff that has been added and left between launch and now would require some detective work. Thoughts, anyone?
Old 08-29-19, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They've announced the Coming Attractions for the Criterion Channel in September. Note: The movies themselves should all go live on the 1st (and some are already active). It's just their organized spotlights that will go live on the announced dates, so if there's something in there you want to see, you don't have to wait until that date to see it.

Spoiler:
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 1
Directed by John Schlesinger
Featuring a new introduction by Schlesinger’s nephew, cultural historian Ian Buruma
Rich human dramas and taboo-shattering cinematic landmarks from a giant who straddled both the British and American New Waves:
  • A Kind of Loving (1962)
  • Billy Liar (1963)
  • Darling (1965)
  • Midnight Cowboy (1969)
  • Sunday Bloody Sunday (1971)
  • Marathon Man (1976)
  • Honky Tonk Freeway (1981)*
  • The Falcon and the Snowman (1985)
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 2
Back to Work
This Labor Day, celebrate your hard-earned day off with three brilliant comedies that find humor in the contradictions and complications of the modern industrial workplace:
  • Modern Times (Charlie Chaplin, 1936)
  • The Man in the White Suit (Alexander Mackendrick, 1951)
  • Mon oncle (Jacques Tati, 1958)
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 3
Short + Feature: Long Roads Home
  • On the Border
  • Kaili Blues
Two rising-star Chinese filmmakers explore themes of identity and connection to one’s roots in these dreamy, hypnotic road movies.

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 4
  • A Dry White Season (Euzhan Palcy, 1989)
Criterion Collection Edition #953

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 5
Creative Marriages: Jean Cocteau and Jean Marais
Behold the lyrical, surreal dream worlds of one of the most miraculous actor-director partnerships in French cinema. This series pairs
  • Beauty and the Beast (Jean Cocteau, 1946)
  • Orpheus (Jean Cocteau, 1946).
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 6
Double Feature: She’s Leaving Home
  • Late Spring
  • 35 Shots of Rum
These twin masterpieces see Claire Denis finding inspiration in one of Yasujiro Ozu’s most beautiful domestic dramas—each conveying profound truths with infinite subtlety and grace.

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 7
Saturday Matinee:
  • A Hard Day’s Night
Richard Lester’s raucous, anything-goes movie musical captured the moment when John, Paul, George, and Ringo officially became the idols of their generation and changed music forever.

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 8
Jailbreak!
With pulse-pounding tension and life-or-death drama, these joint-busting classics find master filmmakers putting their own thrilling spin on the art of the escape. The series features
  • Grand Illusion (Jean Renoir, 1937)
  • Brute Force (Jules Dassin, 1947)
  • Raw Deal (Anthony Mann, 1948)
  • Stalag 17 (Billy Wilder, 1953)
  • A Man Escaped (Robert Bresson, 1956)
  • Le trou (Jacques Becker, 1960)
  • Escape from New York (John Carpenter, 1981)
  • Down By Law (Jim Jarmusch, 1986).
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 9
  • David Lynch: The Art Life (Jon Nguyen, Rick Barnes, and Olivia Neergaard-Holm, 2016)
Criterion Collection Edition #895

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 10
Short + Feature: Reclaimed Images
  • Mobilize*
  • Touki Bouki
Two boundary-pushing filmmakers bring an experimental edge to these dazzling explorations of colonialism, tradition, and modernity.

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 11
  • Harlan County USA (Barbara Kopple, 1976)
Criterion Collection Edition #334

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 13
Double Feature: Drama Queen of England
  • Oh! What a Lovely War
  • Sparrows Can’t Sing
The acclaimed film adaptation of theater director Joan Littlewood’s groundbreaking, experimental World War I musical satire, paired with her only foray into directing for film.

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 14
Saturday Matinee:
  • Pather Panchali
With resplendent photography informed by its young protagonist’s sense of discovery, Satyajit Ray’s debut is a naturalistic and poetic depiction of rural Bengali life.

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 15
Starring Laurence Olivier
Featuring a 1973 interview with Olivier
A tribute to the artist heralded as the greatest actor of his generation, who wed the gravitas of a classically trained thespian with the dashing charisma of a modern movie star throughout his inimitable career. Featuring:
  • Perfect Understanding (Cyril Gardner, 1933),
  • Fire over England (William K. Howard, 1937)
  • Wuthering Heights (William Wyler, 1939)
  • That Hamilton Woman (Alexander Korda, 1941)
  • 49th Parallel (Michael Powell, 1941)
  • Henry V (Laurence Olivier, 1944)
  • Hamlet (Laurence Olivier, 1948)
  • Richard III (Laurence Olivier, 1955)
  • The Entertainer (Tony Richardson, 1960)
  • Oh! What a Lovely War (Richard Attenborough, 1969)
  • Marathon Man (John Schlesinger, 1976)
  • War Requiem (Derek Jarman, 1989).
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 16
  • Tanner ’88 (Robert Altman, 1988)
Criterion Collection Edition #258

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 17
Short + Feature: War-Torn Youth
  • The Chicken
  • Come and See
The ravages of war are seen through the eyes of its youngest victims in these shattering tales of children forced to grow up too soon.

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 18
  • White Material (Claire Denis, 2009)
Criterion Collection Edition #560

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 19
Shorts for Days: Cityscapes
Featuring a new introduction by Criterion Channel programmer Penelope Bartlett
The hustle and bustle of the modern metropolis inspires a range of filmmakers in these miniature city symphonies that pulse with the rhythms and happenstance poetry of the urban landscape, including
  • À propos de Nice (Jean Vigo and Boris Kaufman, 1930)
  • N.U. (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1948)
  • Daybreak Express (D. A. Pennebaker, 1953)
  • Sunday in Peking (Chris Marker, 1956)
  • Surface Tension (Hollis Frampton, 1968)
  • The Black Balloon (Josh Safdie and Benny Safdie, 2012).
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 20
Double Feature: Murder Most Funny
  • Kind Hearts and Coronets
  • The Ruling Class
Murder, insanity, and revenge are the macabre ingredients of these devilish black comedies, wicked send-ups of the British class system carried off with a droll, distinctively English wit.

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 21
Saturday Matinee:
  • No Greater Glory
One of the unsung masterpieces of 1930s cinema, Frank Borzage’s adaptation of Ferenc Molnár’s novel The Paul Street Boys is one of the greatest and most powerful antiwar films ever made.

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 22
Rian Johnson’s Adventures in Moviegoing
The director of inventive indie hits like Looper and Brick sat down with Alicia Malone to present a lineup of time- and mind-bending favorites, including
  • La Jetée (Chris Marker, 1963)
  • 8½ (Federico Fellini, 1963)
  • World on a Wire (Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1973)
  • F for Fake (Orson Welles, 1975)
  • Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979)
  • Upstream Color (Shane Carruth, 2013).
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 24
Short + Feature: Hail Mary Full of Grace?
  • Misterio
  • Viridiana
Two audacious Spanish films take a decidedly irreverent view of the Catholic faith.

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 25
Directed by Lina Wertmüller
Featuring Behind the White Glasses, a documentary portrait of Wertmüller from 2015
Get liberated with the irreverent, provocative, wickedly entertaining films of the trailblazing Italian iconoclast. The series features
  • The Seduction of Mimi (1972)
  • Love and Anarchy (1973)
  • All Screwed Up (1974)
  • Swept Away (1974)
  • Seven Beauties (1975)
  • Summer Night (1986)
  • Ferdinando and Carolina (1999).
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 26
Directed by Christian Petzold
Featuring a new introduction by critic Girish Shambu
Devastatingly stylish, elegantly restrained, and profoundly emotional slow-burn spellbinders from the contemporary German auteur:
  • Yella (2007)
  • Jerichow (2008)
  • Barbara (2012)
  • Phoenix (2014)
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 27
Double Feature: Phantom Worlds
  • Yella
  • Carnival of Souls
Chilling tales of existential dread and spectral mystery in Herk Harvey’s legendary surrealist nightmare and Christian Petzold’s loose modern remake

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 28
  • The Circus (Charles Chaplin, 1928)
Criterion Collection Edition #996

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 29
The Complete Jean-Pierre Melville
Featuring a profile of Meville from the series Cinéastes de notre temps
Ice-cool noirs and piercing dramas from the trench-coat-sporting, sunglasses-wearing, chain-smoking maverick. This career-spanning retrospective features
  • 24 Hours in the Life of a Clown (1946)
  • Le silence de la mer (1949)
  • Les enfants terribles (1950)
  • When You Read This Letter (1953)*
  • Bob le flambeur (1956)
  • Two Men in Manhattan (1959)
  • Leon Morin, Priest (1961)
  • Le doulos (1962)
  • Magnet of Doom (1963)
  • Le deuxième souffle (1966)
  • Le samouraï (1967)
  • Army of Shadows (1969)
  • Le cercle rouge (1970)
  • Un flic (1972)
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 30
Observations on Film Art #31: Comedy, Suspense, and Three-Point Lighting in To Be or Not To Be
Professor Kristin Thompson explores how Ernst Lubitsch and cinematographer Rudolph Maté make sophisticated use of lighting to mark the film’s daring shifts in in tone and genre.

Last edited by Travis McClain; 08-29-19 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-01-19, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's...actually an interesting question! I don't recall an existing ruling on that. I can't see how this would be appreciably different from LaserDiscs that have not been issued on disc, or discs that have gone out of print. It would help if we had a reliable source of what those films are, though. Does anyone have one? I found this list on Letterboxd of the Launch Library, and I can find lists of what is currently available, but the stuff that has been added and left between launch and now would require some detective work. Thoughts, anyone?
This is what I gathered from the different threads in Reddit and I'll link the Reddit thread that has a spreadsheet with all of the movies in the service defaulted to the expiring movies first.

Leaving end of April 2019

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (John Cassevetes, 1976 and 1978)

Leaving end of May 2019

Opening Night
Blood Simple
The Elephant Man

Leaving end of June 2019

The Columbia Noir Collection (Human Desire, The Big Heat, Experiment in Terror, My Name is Julia Ross, Murder by Contract, The Lineup, Drive a Crooked Road, Nightfall, Pushover, So Dark the Night, The Burglar)

Mulholland Dr. (David Lynch, 2001)

Paths of Glory (Stanley Kubrick, 1957)

Hedwig and the Angry Inch (John Cameron Mitchell, 2001) (very limited preview before the physical release)

Buena Vista Social Club (Wim Wenders, 1999)

Mildred Pierce (Michael Curtiz, 1945)

Ace in the Hole (Billy Wilder, 1951)

The Virgin Suicides (Sofia Coppola, 1999)

To Sleep with Anger (Charles Burnett, 1990)

Jubal (Delmer Davies, 1956)

Baby Face (Alfred E. Green, 1933)

Bugsy Malone (Alan Parker, 1976)

Hollywood Shuffle (Robert Townsend, 1987)

In a Better World (Susianne Bier, 2010)

Leaving end of July 2019

A Woman's Face (George Cukor, 1941)

Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice (Paul Mazursky, 1969)

Bottle Rocket (Wes Anderson, 1996)

Camille (George Cukor, 1936)

Dinner at Eight (George Cukor, 1933)

Easy Rider (Dennis Hopper, 1969)

Gaslight (George Cukor, 1944)

Girlfriends (Claudia Weill, 1978)

Little Women (George Cukor, 1933)

Midnight Cowboy (John Schlesinger, 1969)

Moonrise (Frank Borzage, 1948)

Mother (Albert Brooks, 1996)

Our Betters (George Cukor, 1933)

Robin and Marion (Richard Lester, 1976)

Sylvia Scarlett (George Cukor, 1935)

The Last Emperor (Bernardo Bertolucci, 1987)

The Night of the Hunter (Charles Laughton, 1955)

The Women (George Cukor, 1939)

Two-Faced Woman (George Cukor, 1941)

Uptight (Jules Dassin, 1968)

What Price Hollywood? (George Cukor, 1932)

White Heat (Raoul Walsh, 1949)

Leaving at end of August 2019

Akira Kurosawa's Dreams (Akira Kurosawa, 1990)

Christopher Strong (Dorothy Arzner, 1933)

Craig's Wife (Dorothy Arzner, 1936)

Damn the Defiant! (Lewis Gilbert, 1962)

Dance, Girl, Dance (Dorothy Arzner, 1940)

Don't Look Now (Nicholas Roeg, 1973)

My Beautiful Laundrette (Stephen Frears, 1985)

Our Man in Havana (Carol Reed, 1959)

Performance (Donald Cammell & Nicholas Roeg, 1970)

Ran (Akira Kurosawa, 1985)

Scanners (David Cronenberg, 1981)

Something Wild (Jack Garfein, 1961)

The Card (Ronald Neame, 1952)

The Man Who Fell to Earth (Nicholas Roeg, 1976)

The Prisoner (Peter Glenville, 1955)

The Scapegoat (Robert Hamer, 1959)

Bad Education (Pedro Almodovar)

The Skin I Live In (Pedro Almodovar)

All About My Mother (Pedro Almodovar)

Volver (Pedro Almodovar)

Swing Time

Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown

Leaving at end of September 2019

A Room with a View (James Ivory, 1985)

Adua and Her Friends (Antonio Pietrangeli, 1960)

After the Wedding (Susanne Bier, 2006)

Hoop Dreams (Steve James, 1994)

Kaili Blues (Bi Gan, 2015)

Nights of Cabiria (Federico Fellini, 1957)

Othello (Orson Welles, 1952)

Quiet as Kept (Charles Burnett, 2007)

Rocco and His Brothers (Luchino Visconti, 1960)

Room at the Top (Jack Clayton, 1959)

Several Friends (Charles Burnett, 1969)

Sightseers (Ben Wheatley, 2012)

The Final Insult (Charles Burnett, 1997)

The Horse (Charles Burnett, 1973)

The Widow Couderc (Pierre Granier-Deferre, 1971)

When it Rains (Charles Burnett, 1995)

Leaving at end of October 2019

Archipelago (Joanna Hogg, 2010)

Claire's Camera (Hong Sang-soo, 2017)

Daddy Longlegs (Safdie Brothers, 2009)

Exhibition (Joanna Hogg, 2013)

I Killed My Mother (Xavier Doland, 2009)

Kaos (Tavania Brothers, 1984)

Meek's Cutoff (Kelly Reichardt, 2010)

On the Beach at Night Alone (Hong Sang-soo, 2017)

Padre Padrone (Tavania Brothers, 1977)

River of Grass (Kelly Reichardt, 1994)

The Day He Arrives (Hong Sang-soo, 2011)

The Fallen Idol (Carol Reed, 1948)

The Night of Shooting Stars (Tavania Brothers, 1982)

The Pleasure of Being Robbed (Josh Safdie, 2008)

The Shooting (Monte Hellman, 1966)

The Third Man (Carol Reed, 1949)

Time Bandits (Terry Gilliam, 1981)

Unrelated (Joanna Hogg, 2007)

Wendy and Lucy (Kelly Reichardt, 2008)

Leaving at end of November 2019

The Love Witch (Anna Biller, 2016) (LEAVES NOVEMBER 7TH)

Viva (Anna Biller, 2007) (LEAVE NOVEMBER 7TH)

Battle in Heaven (Carles Reygadas, 2005)

Cemetary of Splendor (Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2015)

Kind Hearts and Coronets (Robert Hamer, 1949)

Marwencol (Jeff Malmberg, 2010)

Silent Light (Carlos Reygadas, 2007)

Suburbia (Penelope Spheeris, 1983)

Syndromes and a Century (Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2006)

The Captain's Paradise (Anthony Kimmins, 1953)

The Decline of Western Civilization (Penelope Spheeris, 1981)

The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years (Penelope Spheeris, 1988)

The Decline of Western Civilization Part III (Penelope Spheeris, 1998)

The Hours and Times (Christopher Munch, 1991)

The Lavender Hill Mob (Charles Crichton, 1951)

The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby (Alberto Cavalcanti, 1947)

The Maids (Christopher Miles, 1975)

The Man in the White Suit (Alexander Mackendrick, 1951)

The Plague Dogs (Martin Rosen, 1982)

The Tales of Beatrix Potter (Reginald Mills, 1971)

The Wicker Man (Robin Hardy, 1973)

Tropical Malady (Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2004)

Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2010)

Yeelen (Souleymane Cissé, 1987)
https://www.reddit.com/r/criterion/c...a_spreadsheet/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=740795620

Last edited by LorenzoL; 09-01-19 at 12:54 AM.
Old 09-01-19, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks good to me, LorenzoL! I'll add that spreadsheet URL to the overview.

I made it out to the theater for Lawrence of Arabia this afternoon (LaserDisc #078). It's one of my all-time faves and God knows there's been more than enough written and said about it over the years and I don't have anything original to add to any of it. I'll simply make note that my new favorite thing about it is this camel mugging for the camera:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-tuNR-uD_mE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-01-19, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I was on the fence about whether I was going to participate, but I decided that I might try it. I signed up for the free trial on the Criterion Channel today, and I have a good selection of eligible movies on DVD.
Old 09-01-19, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Incidentally, I'm later getting this together than I wanted, but here's My Criterion Top 10 List. There are notes there, but for anyone just interested in the movies:
  1. 12 Angry Men
  2. Persona
  3. The Princess Bride
  4. Bull Durham
  5. The Third Man
  6. Ghost World
  7. 45 Years
  8. The Phantom Carriage
  9. M
  10. Il Sorpasso
I could easily have just gone with ten Ingmar Bergman movies, but restricted myself to Persona. I also restricted myself to the Collection proper, excluding LaserDisc and streaming selections.
Old 09-01-19, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I was on the fence about whether I was going to participate, but I decided that I might try it. I signed up for the free trial on the Criterion Channel today, and I have a good selection of eligible movies on DVD.
Always glad to have you in a challenge, shadokitty! As I recall, you're really into Japanese cinema. I've recently seen and enjoyed a few:
  • Black Lizard
  • Ironfinger
  • Samurai Spy
  • Tampopo
Ironfinger and Samurai Spy are both in the "Spy Games" Collection, which I greatly enjoyed overall. The former has a sequel, Golden Eyes, which I found disappointing, but others may dig. There are also several Godzilla movies, which I think I remember you digging? Whatever you end up picking, I'm sure we look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Last edited by Travis McClain; 09-01-19 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-02-19, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pulp Fiction is playing at some Regal theaters this week. It works for the "not released on dvd" challenge.
Old 09-03-19, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is the first year that I'm not focusing on the checklist. As my collection starts to grow, I'm taking the opportunity to watch some of the supplements on the disc as well. I spent almost six hours on the Do The Right Thing Blu-ray the other night! Besides the high quality transfers, these additional features are what make Criterions stand out to me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.