Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 10th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 10th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Old 08-27-19, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Re: The 10th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Cowboy Bebop is another of those I just couldn't get into. One of my buddies at the comic shop used to talk about it incessantly (I think when it was airing? Don't know...) so a couple of years ago when Amazon put it on LD for a pittance I ordered a copy. It arrived damaged so I watched it to see if the discs were OK before putting in a replacement request. Turns out to have been a good thing as I just didn't care for it at all. I think it's the strong anime' influence (I've tried several times and can't get into that genre at all). So instead of a replacement I did a return, getting a full refund. Oh well...
I like the series but I also don't think is a good as some people think it is. There's a coolness factor with all of the members of Bebop except Ed and the dog. I have roughly 10 more episodes to go so hopefully I'll be able to finish it before the end of the month.

I don't regret buying the Complete Series on Blu-ray but I have been debating whether to buy the movie or not.
Old 08-28-19, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Glad you finally finished Spiderverse, LJG. I loved in theaters, but sometimes you’re just not into something. I’ve been hoping to rewatch this month.

I got a bunch of stuff in the Disney Rewards sale but it’ll probably arrive after the challenge.

Cowboy Bebop is a series I’ve liked but not finished. I watched the first couple episodes before I went on vacation but may get back to it.

Watched Secret Life of Pets 1 as a free VUDU rental, and it was ok. Cute animals but not much otherwise.
Spiderverse was a slog, but I did get to a point where I was enjoying it somewhat. But that's very true, sometimes you just can't get into something, even when you think you should!

I actually got my DMR movies pretty quickly. Maybe you'll be lucky, though there isn't much time left!

Secret Life of Pets was kind of a meh movie for me too. Not worth paying to see but if it's on, why not?
Old 08-28-19, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know I just posted, but thought I'd make this a separate post to be a bit easier to spot. Earlier in the challenge, I mentioned I contacted GoldenWheels about prizes, but still have not heard back from him. Just wanted to update you all, but it does look like they won't be occurring this challenge. Sorry, everyone!
Old 08-28-19, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
I know I just posted, but thought I'd make this a separate post to be a bit easier to spot. Earlier in the challenge, I mentioned I contacted GoldenWheels about prizes, but still have not heard back from him. Just wanted to update you all, but it does look like they won't be occurring this challenge. Sorry, everyone!
No worries. Prizes are just a bonus anyway!
Old 08-28-19, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I don't regret buying the Complete Series on Blu-ray but I have been debating whether to buy the movie or not.
The movie has the same voice actors but the story did not retain the 'coolness factor' as you mentioned, to me anyway.

Wow, I just saw the Blu-ray price on Amazon. Glad I picked it up at a reasonable price.
Old 08-28-19, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 623 Likes on 457 Posts

Secret Life of Pets was kind of a meh movie for me too. Not worth paying to see but if it's on, why not?
And they're making a sequel! OK... based on my viewing of that one I won't be bothering at all.
Old 08-29-19, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No worries. Prizes are just a bonus anyway!
Thanks for understanding!

And they're making a sequel! OK... based on my viewing of that one I won't be bothering at all.
Yeah, me either.

Just finished Mirai. It was alright, but out of the four movies of his I've seen so far, (this one, Wolf Children, Summer Wars, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time) it's my least favorite. It's about a little boy who becomes a big sister and his parents don't focus on him anymore. While dealing with his jealousy, his magical garden takes him back and forth in time meeting people who help in different ways.

I didn't realize it, but the last film I'm getting from the library for this challenge is also one he directed called, The Boy and the Beast. It'll be interesting to see where that one fits in.

Old 08-29-19, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't realize it, but the last film I'm getting from the library for this challenge is also one he directed called, The Boy and the Beast. It'll be interesting to see where that one fits in.
I watched The Boy and the Beast for this challenge. Sorta like Wolf Children it deals with the realms of humans and animals. There is an aspect of humans that could have been explained better with regard to the story but overall I liked it.
Old 08-29-19, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wishbone
I watched The Boy and the Beast for this challenge. Sorta like Wolf Children it deals with the realms of humans and animals. There is an aspect of humans that could have been explained better with regard to the story but overall I liked it.
Good to know! It sounds like an interesting watch so I'm hoping I like it.

As the challenge comes to an end, I just wanted to remind everyone that the 31st is crossover day. Looks like the Criterion Challenge starts at dusk and the Animation challenge ends at dawn on the 1st. The list of crossovers is in the opening post if you missed it in the thread.

Any additions or removals from the check list come to mind as the challenge has progressed? I have a list of things to look at next August under a spoiler in the first post of the thread as well. For instance, since next year is 2020, I'll be adding another year to that section of the list... Post here any suggestions and I'll add them for next year!
Old 08-30-19, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

And by “making,” you mean “available now on home media.”

I actually got my DMR movies pretty quickly. Maybe you'll be lucky, though there isn't much time left!
These arrived yesterday! I appreciate their thoughtfulness, but I have plenty to watch anyway so they’ll have to wait for next year.

I’m currently watching the new version of The Death of Superman. Teen Titans Go! to the Movies was pretty funny.
Old 08-30-19, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And by “making,” you mean “available now on home media.”

Just shows how much attention I gave that one... I just remember at some point seeing it was being made and thinking "Really? Was the first really that popular?"
Old 08-30-19, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just shows how much attention I gave that one... I just remember at some point seeing it was being made and thinking "Really? Was the first really that popular?"
I applaud your life choices, sir!
Old 08-31-19, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

After taking a few days off I got back on the animation train with a rewatch of The Herculoids (1967), a Hanna-Barbera cartoon created by the great Alex Toth. It features the voices of Mike Road (Race Bannon and others) as King Zandor, Virgiana Gregg (a very prolific TV actress) as Zandor's wife, Tarra, and Don Messick as "Gleep/Gloop."

Toth also created Space Ghost (1966) - another of my favorites.
Old 08-31-19, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I used to watch The Herculoids. I watched them in reruns when I was a boy, and many years later when they were played on afternoons on The Cartoon Network, back when the channel was good. I’ve been working off and on on the challenge for the past few days. Still watching Beast King Golion ​​​​​​ and if I see a good cartoon on tv.
Old 08-31-19, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Last night of the challenge! Hope they are good watches...I'm down to one last one that I'll pop in in a minute, April and the Extraordinary World. Saw a preview for it on one of the films I rented this challenge and it looked very interesting and right up my alley. Kind of steam punkish and slightly reminiscent of Hugo.
Old 08-31-19, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I was working this past week so was not able to finish off the series I was watching like Cowboy Bebop or Thundercats. However, I made time today to watch Akira and Fantastic Mr. Fox to coincide with the Criterion Challenge. That's it for me! Thanks to LJG765 and all of his efforts to host this challenge!

Until next year!
Old 09-01-19, 11:06 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I ended the challenge by watching the series "The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance" - highly recommended for fans!
Old 09-01-19, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Last night of the challenge! Hope they are good watches...I'm down to one last one that I'll pop in in a minute, April and the Extraordinary World. Saw a preview for it on one of the films I rented this challenge and it looked very interesting and right up my alley. Kind of steam punkish and slightly reminiscent of Hugo.
I finished up with Herculoids and switched to my new BR of From the Earth to the Moon I've been itching to watch since it came in.

For a change, I watched quite a bit of animation this year!

Thanks for running things again LJG!
Old 09-01-19, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for a fun challenge LJG. I had trouble getting into it as much as I have in past years, but when I did watch things I enjoyed them.
Old 09-01-19, 03:12 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Another great challenge LJG. I finished the checklist and ended up with 99 watches (I must have been getting tired to not watch one last show). I ended up with Fantastic Mr. Fox last night and found out that it was a lot better than I expected.
Old 09-01-19, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I was working this past week so was not able to finish off the series I was watching like Cowboy Bebop or Thundercats. However, I made time today to watch Akira and Fantastic Mr. Fox to coincide with the Criterion Challenge. That's it for me! Thanks to LJG765 and all of his efforts to host this challenge!

Until next year!
Until next year!

Originally Posted by Giles
I ended the challenge by watching the series "The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance" - highly recommended for fans!
I keep on hearing good things about this. I'm getting more and more tempted by a Netflix subscription-if only for a month or two!

I finished up with Herculoids and switched to my new BR of From the Earth to the Moon I've been itching to watch since it came in.

For a change, I watched quite a bit of animation this year!

Thanks for running things again LJG!
Thanks! Glad you got a lot watched this year!

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Thanks for a fun challenge LJG. I had trouble getting into it as much as I have in past years, but when I did watch things I enjoyed them.
Glad that you found enjoyable watches! I know that that sometimes is hard to do...

Originally Posted by orlmac
Another great challenge LJG. I finished the checklist and ended up with 99 watches (I must have been getting tired to not watch one last show). I ended up with Fantastic Mr. Fox last night and found out that it was a lot better than I expected.
Wow, good job! I hit 70 and was pleased with that! I am a huge Roald Dahl fan and when I heard there was going to be a movie, I was excited until I found out that it was going to be a Wes Anderson movie. While I don't hate his films, I'm also not a huge fan. His movies are really hit and miss, though I do appreciate his ascetics. Watching Fantastic Mr. Fox for the first time was a surprise because I was sure I was going to dislike it. Instead, I thought it was good and as I watched it a second time, I appreciate it more.

Old 09-01-19, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I might just phone it in on this month’s challenge, so I’m considering watching more animation this month.
Old 09-02-19, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts

Fun challenge. Appreciate all the hard work and effort LJG. I'm pretty sure this was my best showing for the Challenge.

Stats for any who care:
Spoiler:

27 movies
12 ONA (episodes)
02 OVA (episodes)
195 TV (episodes)
116 Theatrical Shorts
352 total

126 first time views
114 anime (episodes/movies)
Old 09-02-19, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks LJG765 for running the challenge!
Old 09-02-19, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thanks to LJG for back-to-back hosting! Now you can take a nap for September.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.