Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 10th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 10th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-19, 09:45 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: The 10th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Sent you a PM with corrected text. Just copy and paste the text into your editor and click Save. I checked it with Preview and it looked good, but if your editor is on the fritz it may still garble it. (I could only access what was visible).
Yes, thank you very much for the work you put in. It is very much appreciated. I'll make sure I start copying the fresh versions of what I do so that I can delete and copy them if it continues to be necessary. Thanks again!
Old 08-02-19, 09:48 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Most of the editors are pretty horrible on a browser - even the recommended, supported, one breaks things horribly (that would be the "Enhanced Interface - Full CKEditor editing" one).

Here are the choices:

Basic Editor - A simple text box
Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls
Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG editing
Enhanced Interface - Full CKEditor editing

I've found only the "Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls" works well and still allows "old style" formatting of posts without adding the junk that messes things up royally. The main drawback is often you get a smallish box that can't be stretched horizontally but can go vertical as far as you want. That normally happens with quoting a post *or* editing an existing post *if* the page hasn't been reloaded recently. If you're editing your list you should reload the page first then select "Edit" and you'll get a box like the one before they messed up the site with the "New improved layout" junk and broke the editors.

The editor is changed in the "User CP" - "Options" section.
Thanks for this explanation. I'll look up and see which one I've got going and make sure it is the right one. I didn't know how to do that so that is one more weapon in my arsenal for figuring this out. Thanks again!
Old 08-02-19, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Most of the editors are pretty horrible on a browser - even the recommended, supported, one breaks things horribly (that would be the "Enhanced Interface - Full CKEditor editing" one).

Here are the choices:

Basic Editor - A simple text box
Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls
Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG editing
Enhanced Interface - Full CKEditor editing

I've found only the "Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls" works well and still allows "old style" formatting of posts without adding the junk that messes things up royally. The main drawback is often you get a smallish box that can't be stretched horizontally but can go vertical as far as you want. That normally happens with quoting a post *or* editing an existing post *if* the page hasn't been reloaded recently. If you're editing your list you should reload the page first then select "Edit" and you'll get a box like the one before they messed up the site with the "New improved layout" junk and broke the editors.

The editor is changed in the "User CP" - "Options" section.
Thanks for this. I'll have to go look at what I'm using too. I know I checked out all my settings when it first changed, but that's been a while now.
Old 08-02-19, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by orlmac
Thanks for this explanation. I'll look up and see which one I've got going and make sure it is the right one. I didn't know how to do that so that is one more weapon in my arsenal for figuring this out. Thanks again!
Looking much better! Though, I think there's one more that's still showing right above the checklist.

Going to pop something short in the player in a bit. I am about to start Jonny Quest disc 2 but may watch something else. Not really in the mood for that right now but I'm not sure what I'm in the mood for!
Old 08-03-19, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

I started my rewatch of the new Jonny Quest BR. I'm still amazed at how good this looks!

I have two small complaints about its execution on disc.. The first is they *loop* the theme song (the show open) on the main menu. I really don't like that practice. Put it there if you must but play it once and stop. The second is they fade it out *two* seconds before it completes. *TWO SECONDS!!* That's just wrong...
Old 08-03-19, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I been watching some episodes of Baki the past couple of days before falling asleep on Netflix. This ultra violent anime is not for everybody but I find it almost soothing because it's so ridiculous.

I have to admit that I finally watched Wreck-It Ralph today. I started it back when I bough the Ultimate Edition Blu-ray when it first came out but never finished it. I still find the beginning slow and boring but once they get to Sugar Rush land, the movie picks up. As a gamer, it was nice to see all of the little nods to the old games.

Originally Posted by LJG765
I hate when that happens. Something you grew up with doesn't age well or now you're in a different mind set than you were originally. There's one or two films/TV shows I wish I hadn't rewatched as now they're a bit tainted.
I feel you as Vampire Hunter D is not the only one for me either.

I have a beautiful He-Man DVD complete set in the shape of Castle Greyskull and is wasted as I don't enjoy the show at all as I used to when I was younger. I find the show boring with the use of the repeated animation that it does when they are running or changing characters and the worst part is the preachiness of it. It make me think what I was thinking for liking this show and begging my mom to buy me the toys.

I think that's why I have been hesitant to watch my Thundercats set in this challenge.
Old 08-03-19, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I started my rewatch of the new Jonny Quest BR. I'm still amazed at how good this looks!

I have two small complaints about its execution on disc.. The first is they *loop* the theme song (the show open) on the main menu. I really don't like that practice. Put it there if you must but play it once and stop. The second is they fade it out *two* seconds before it completes. *TWO SECONDS!!* That's just wrong...
I don't tend to sit on the menu that much, but I get you. That is annoying when it just repeats and repeats and repeats...

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I have to admit that I finally watched Wreck-It Ralph today. I started it back when I bough the Ultimate Edition Blu-ray when it first came out but never finished it. I still find the beginning slow and boring but once they get to Sugar Rush land, the movie picks up. As a gamer, it was nice to see all of the little nods to the old games.

I feel you as Vampire Hunter D is not the only one for me either.

I have a beautiful He-Man DVD complete set in the shape of Castle Greyskull and is wasted as I don't enjoy the show at all as I used to when I was younger. I find the show boring with the use of the repeated animation that it does when they are running or changing characters and the worst part is the preachiness of it. It make me think what I was thinking for liking this show and begging my mom to buy me the toys.

I think that's why I have been hesitant to watch my Thundercats set in this challenge.
I enjoyed Wreck-It Ralph but get what you're saying about the beginning. A lot of my like for the movie is nostalgia, looking to see who all they included in the film. I do like Vanelope though. The sequel isn't that great, unfortunately. Lots of hidden Easter Eggs, but it didn't catch my attention like the first one did.

I have totally been where you are with He-Man. I think part of it too is that we have instant access to a ton of them all at once. Back in the day, we had to wait at least a week for the next episode and who remembers what happened other than generals from week to week? I have a feeling they also used a lot of animation over and over again to save time and money. "Let's use this 2 minute segment and save 2 weeks of work!" Now with things on computers, it's a lot quicker to put out new episodes. I used to watch He-Man too, but don't remember the preachiness. I guess I'm glad I never picked up a season! That would annoy me too.

Old 08-03-19, 10:49 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Forgot about future double credit possibilities and watched my August animation Criterion tonight. Wow. If you want a true WTF sort of film, I’d recommend Jellyfish Eyes. Pokémon Kaiju sort of sums it up I guess. I either hate it or love it, can’t decide yet.
Old 08-04-19, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Forgot about future double credit possibilities and watched my August animation Criterion tonight. Wow. If you want a true WTF sort of film, I’d recommend Jellyfish Eyes. Pokémon Kaiju sort of sums it up I guess. I either hate it or love it, can’t decide yet.
I watched this myself a few years ago and had the same feeling. It's been long enough I don't remember a ton of details, but I do remember the WTF feeling. Often.

But talking about double credit with Criterion, has there been any new films added over the year? I should probably just ask Travis, but I'll ask it here first.
Old 08-04-19, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

A little over a month ago, I got a subscription to VRV. That should give me lots of animation to watch. Besides Crunchyroll, there is also Boomerang and a couple other anime sources on there. I look forward to making use of it this month.
Old 08-04-19, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But talking about double credit with Criterion, has there been any new films added over the year? I should probably just ask Travis, but I'll ask it here first.
I only know two movies: Akira and Fastastic Mr. Fox. Thanks to Trevor there's a third one.
Old 08-04-19, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I only know two movies: Akira and Fastastic Mr. Fox. Thanks to Trevor there's a third one.
If you take a look at the original post towards the bottom, I do have the crossover's listed. They are: Akira, Fantastic Planet, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Watership Down, Jason And The Argonauts, King Kong, Robocop. Also, there is animation in the By Brakhage and Science is Fiction box sets.

I'm just not sure if there were any more released over the last year...but, that gives you a few more to chose from!
Old 08-04-19, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have totally been where you are with He-Man. I think part of it too is that we have instant access to a ton of them all at once. Back in the day, we had to wait at least a week for the next episode and who remembers what happened other than generals from week to week? I have a feeling they also used a lot of animation over and over again to save time and money. "Let's use this 2 minute segment and save 2 weeks of work!" Now with things on computers, it's a lot quicker to put out new episodes. I used to watch He-Man too, but don't remember the preachiness. I guess I'm glad I never picked up a season! That would annoy me too.
My son absolutely loved He-Man and still does (doesn't care for She-Ra at all - which I find odd). So much that it's one of the few DVD sets he didn't purge when they got rid of a bunch of discs a few years back in a "clutter reduction" type purge. I bought him the series about 10 years ago for Christmas and he was thrilled. During the original airings a local toy store went out of business and I was able to get Castle Greyskull, Skeletor's Castle, most of the vehicles, characters, and a few carriers for the figures at ~$.10 on the dollar. It also helped that the series and toys were on the back end of popularity but high end of availability (he was born in 82 so didn't see it until he was around 6). It was a He-Man Christmas.

Me... I saw it for what it was back then - mostly a vehicle for selling toys. At least it had a "moral" at the end (but didn't almost all of the 80s cartoons have that?). It didn't help that it was from Filmation - Kings of cheap, very limited, animation. There are times in their product that the only thing moving on the screen is a mouth. They also overused animation loops (especially with backgrounds). All of it was to reduce costs. At least all their work was produced in the US but it's such a lower quality that it's immediately noticeable. You can show me a cartoon they produced that I've never seen before and I can pick it out of a "lineup" every time because of their techniques. They're one of the reasons it took me so long to finally accept Star Trek: The Animated Series.

I don't tend to sit on the menu that much, but I get you. That is annoying when it just repeats and repeats and repeats...
If they'd have just allowed the theme to complete I'd be a bit more forgiving. I just don't understand why they'd fade it out 2 seconds before it naturally ends.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 08-04-19 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-04-19, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched V5 of Family Guy yesterday (contains the first 13 episodes of S5). I don't remember the first 4 seasons of this series being quite so vulgar. Sure, it has its moments but this seemed a bit over-the-top on a regular basis. So... I can't decide if I like it or not at this point (I do like the first 3 seasons but don't remember much about S4) but have 3 more volumes so...

I switched gears to S2 of King of the Hill after that. I'd never seen this one during its original airings and did a blind buy of the first 2 seasons several years ago. Some time back I watched S1 and was surprised at how good it is. I'm finding S2 continues the overall goodness of the series. I have 4 more seasons of this one.
Old 08-04-19, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A few years ago I bought the Mill Creek collection of He-Man And The Masters Of The Universe ​​​​​​, Season 1 as well as both volumes of Season 1 of She Ra. I’ve been considering watching some Transformers ​​​​​​, but am not sure if I want to start over with Generation 1, or continue with the Japanese series,
Old 08-04-19, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A few more Criterion options for the double credit day have been added to the original post in the thread.

Watched Wonder Park tonight. It was cute, but seemed like it was pretty predictable and had generally been before. Wouldn't say to avoid it, but nothing worth hunting down.
Old 08-04-19, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Another addition to the Criterion crossover time might be Mothra vs Godzilla. Mothra is a puppet.
Old 08-04-19, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Another addition to the Criterion crossover time might be Mothra vs Godzilla. Mothra is a puppet.
Thanks! Will add to the list.
Old 08-05-19, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To my delight, ThunderCats has aged better than He-Man. Mind you, I was cooking while playing the episodes and there might have been some fast forwarding done, but I didn't mind the first 6 episodes that much. The Ewoks knock offs were a little eye rolling though...

I have the DVD sets and I believe WB only released the first two seasons in 4 volumes. So we are missing Season 3 and 4.

I also watched Ninja Scroll and stills holds up but man, this film pushes the boundary in terms of violence and sex. This could easily fit under the Hentai category. Definitely not for kids.

Even though I own all of the Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli movies that were released in North America in both DVDs and Blu-rays, I have only watched a handful of them. I need to do better so I picked one of the earliest one that I haven't seen which was Castle in the Sky.

I thought it was good but it didn't blow me away. Maybe I was expecting a lot more. The humour is there with the Pirates but the villain seems very stereotypical. Was the robot an inspiration for the Iron Giant or do they all copy the Giant Robo designs?

It still does not replace my favourite Studio Ghibli movie which is My Neighbor Totoro.

P.S. I still giggle when reading/hearing the name of the castle.
Old 08-06-19, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I’ve found YouTube to be a great source of animation. The entire series of the dubbed version of Tekkaman Blade ​​​​​​, known in America as Teknoman ​​​​​​ is on there for one. A few days ago I found some Popeye cartoons on there too. I haven’t checked this year, but I know at one time Peabody and Sherman and Simon’s Cat were on YouTube as well.
Old 08-06-19, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

I'm really enjoying Jonny Quest on Blu-ray. After the first few episodes Dr. Quest's voice is more how I remember it from syndication... and I feel stupid not knowing all this time that Tim Matheson was the voice of Jonny Quest.
Old 08-06-19, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To my delight, ThunderCats has aged better than He-Man. Mind you, I was cooking while playing the episodes and there might have been some fast forwarding done, but I didn't mind the first 6 episodes that much. The Ewoks knock offs were a little eye rolling though...

I have the DVD sets and I believe WB only released the first two seasons in 4 volumes. So we are missing Season 3 and 4.

I also watched Ninja Scroll and stills holds up but man, this film pushes the boundary in terms of violence and sex. This could easily fit under the Hentai category. Definitely not for kids.

Even though I own all of the Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli movies that were released in North America in both DVDs and Blu-rays, I have only watched a handful of them. I need to do better so I picked one of the earliest one that I haven't seen which was Castle in the Sky.

I thought it was good but it didn't blow me away. Maybe I was expecting a lot more. The humour is there with the Pirates but the villain seems very stereotypical. Was the robot an inspiration for the Iron Giant or do they all copy the Giant Robo designs?

It still does not replace my favourite Studio Ghibli movie which is My Neighbor Totoro.

P.S. I still giggle when reading/hearing the name of the castle.
Which ones have you watched? My very first Ghibli film was Howl's Moving Castle because I loved the book series as a kid. It is not very much like the book but I enjoyed the animation style a lot and delved into the movies. The Secret World of Arietty based on The Borrowers is pretty good as well as Ponyo. My least favorite is Pom Poko.
Originally Posted by wishbone
I'm really enjoying Jonny Quest on Blu-ray. After the first few episodes Dr. Quest's voice is more how I remember it from syndication... and I feel stupid not knowing all this time that Tim Matheson was the voice of Jonny Quest.
Me too. I just finished disc 2. Still enjoying them though there have been a couple episodes where they re-used some footage in a row. Not sure if these are shown in production order or in how they were shown on tv order (or if there is a difference) but you'd think they would at least skip a couple episodes before reusing a pretty noticeable scene! (Race throwing boulders down a mountain.) I also am impressed with how many water episodes there are! How many different types of submarines does Dr. Quest have?! They are all different it seems!

Old 08-07-19, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My son absolutely loved He-Man and still does (doesn't care for She-Ra at all - which I find odd). So much that it's one of the few DVD sets he didn't purge when they got rid of a bunch of discs a few years back in a "clutter reduction" type purge. I bought him the series about 10 years ago for Christmas and he was thrilled. During the original airings a local toy store went out of business and I was able to get Castle Greyskull, Skeletor's Castle, most of the vehicles, characters, and a few carriers for the figures at ~$.10 on the dollar. It also helped that the series and toys were on the back end of popularity but high end of availability (he was born in 82 so didn't see it until he was around 6). It was a He-Man Christmas.

Me... I saw it for what it was back then - mostly a vehicle for selling toys. At least it had a "moral" at the end (but didn't almost all of the 80s cartoons have that?). It didn't help that it was from Filmation - Kings of cheap, very limited, animation. There are times in their product that the only thing moving on the screen is a mouth. They also overused animation loops (especially with backgrounds). All of it was to reduce costs. At least all their work was produced in the US but it's such a lower quality that it's immediately noticeable. You can show me a cartoon they produced that I've never seen before and I can pick it out of a "lineup" every time because of their techniques. They're one of the reasons it took me so long to finally accept Star Trek: The Animated Series.
I'm glad that your son stills enjoy He-Man. The first time buying a disc that wasn't a blind buy and being disappointed with it.

Which ones have you watched? My very first Ghibli film was Howl's Moving Castle because I loved the book series as a kid. It is not very much like the book but I enjoyed the animation style a lot and delved into the movies. The Secret World of Arietty based on The Borrowers is pretty good as well as Ponyo. My least favorite is Pom Poko.
I have watched My Neighbor Totoro, Ponyo, Kiki's Delivery Service and Grave of the Fireflies.

I think I might have watched Spirited Away as I remember how the movie starts but for the life of me, can't remember the ending. That's why I consider it unwatched. I also started Princess Mononoke but I know for sure that I just gave up and didn't finish it for sure. People always consider the above two as Miyazaki's greatest films but I just didn't care for it at the time. I might need to watch it during this challenge and see if I like it.

P.S. I don't think I'll ever rewatch Grave again and I'm pretty sure I just bought it to complete my collection.
Old 08-07-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I’ve only ever seen Grave Of The Fireflies once. Got it from the library one time. I can honestly say that I never want to watch it again. Not that it is a bad movie, but it is the only movie that ever made me cry. I never want to go through that again.
Old 08-07-19, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

RE: Jonny Quest
Me too. I just finished disc 2. Still enjoying them though there have been a couple episodes where they re-used some footage in a row. Not sure if these are shown in production order or in how they were shown on tv order (or if there is a difference) but you'd think they would at least skip a couple episodes before reusing a pretty noticeable scene! (Race throwing boulders down a mountain.) I also am impressed with how many water episodes there are! How many different types of submarines does Dr. Quest have?! They are all different it seems!
The episodes are on the BR in air date order. These originally aired on Friday nights at 7:30 pm Eastern on ABC and moved to Thursdays at 7:30 pm Eastern December 31st that year. With a week between episodes it's unlikely we'd have noticed something like that. When it moved to Saturday mornings they still aired a single episode per week.

Just this week I noticed that there's a shot of Race firing his rifle at the mummy in "The Curse of Anubis" which is repeated with a different background in a later episode (and I think it was flipped for the reuse - don't recall just which episode off hand). That was the first time I noticed that reuse of a shot! And I've seen this series dozens of times over the years, watching it every time it aired during first run and almost every Saturday it aired until it was removed from the schedule. The stories and production are so good that I've never really looked for, or paid attention to, stuff like that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.