DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Pre-Horror Challenge 15: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/648061-pre-horror-challenge-15-building-optional-lists-themes-subset-checklist.html)

shellebelle 09-18-19 10:05 AM

Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 15: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Am I missing something? Where is the Recently Deceased section? Are we deleting it?

Edit to add: Never mind, I found it!!

tarfrimmer 09-18-19 09:16 PM

Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 15: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Some more suggestions:

Directors:

Cast:

Composer:

Chad 09-18-19 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by rbrown498 (Post 13608521)
Just wondering, how far are we from finalizing the date for each theme night / subset film? Or is the subset list ready to roll as is?

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 13608994)
There's a handful I'm still shuffling around, but I should have them all in their permanent spots in a day or two.

Theme/subset dates are now finalized. What you see on post 7 is the order it'll appear on the upcoming hybrid table. This is the first year I can recall that every single day has a reason for being on that day whether it's a holiday, release date, appearance, event, etc.

Undeadcow 09-19-19 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 13610209)
Theme/subset dates are now finalized. What you see on post 7 is the order it'll appear on the upcoming hybrid table. This is the first year I can recall that every single day has a reason for being on that day whether it's a holiday, release date, appearance, event, etc.

Wow, that's an impressive amount of coordination and cross referencing with stuff like a Zombie Hunt in Dallas, Pole Dancing Lessons in Vegas, and the video on demand release of Heavy Trip. Very nicely done!

shellebelle 09-19-19 04:29 PM

Chad, your link on this category (--- Cinema Inspired By: H.P. Lovecraft -) brings up movies by Edgar Allen Poe. Did you mean to change HP Lovecraft to Poe?

Chad 09-19-19 11:31 PM

Almost there with the checklist! Reminder the link's in the wiki.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow (Post 13610271)
Wow, that's an impressive amount of coordination and cross referencing with stuff like a Zombie Hunt in Dallas, Pole Dancing Lessons in Vegas, and the video on demand release of Heavy Trip. Very nicely done!

Thanks, gained tons of useless knowledge. And links will be included in the hybrid table.

Originally Posted by shellebelle (Post 13610649)
Chad, your link on this category (--- Cinema Inspired By: H.P. Lovecraft -) brings up movies by Edgar Allen Poe. Did you mean to change HP Lovecraft to Poe?

No. It hasn't been changed yet, so apparently it was like that last year and nobody noticed it. That entry does need a refreshing though.

tarfrimmer 09-20-19 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 13610795)
.Thanks, gained tons of useless knowledge. And links will be included in the hybrid table.

It really is impressive. But then I'm a big fan of "useless" knowledge!

No. It hasn't been changed yet, so apparently it was like that last year and nobody noticed it. That entry does need a refreshing though.
Maybe Bram Stoker deserves a turn in the "spotlight"?

indiephantom 09-21-19 09:53 PM

If volunteers are still needed for a subset film, let me know. Pretty busy these days, but I would like to participate in some way.

rbrown498 09-22-19 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 13610795)

(Regarding the "Cinema Inspired by: H. P. Lovecraft" checklist item)

Why not go with H.G. Wells this year? Between all of the Invisible Man movies, the Island of Dr. Moreau movies, and assorted others, I think we could make a go of it. If not there, then maybe he could be the last "Select 2 writers" entry.

orlmac 09-22-19 04:56 PM

Has Simon Pegg been used for the checklist before?

orlmac 09-22-19 05:36 PM

I suggest Deon Taylor and James Bressack for Directors.

orlmac 09-22-19 05:45 PM

And if you need another Director Frank Khalfoun (5 movies, one coming out this month).

Chad 09-22-19 11:36 PM

As I mentioned in the other thread the subset threads are now up. I spent a good portion of the weekend working on those and preparing the upcoming hybrid table, which is why I got a little behind in here. I'll play catch-up on Monday night and hopefully we'll knock out the checklist and whatever else needs doing.

mallratcal 09-23-19 06:32 AM

Sid Haig can be added to the RIP list. :(

orlmac 09-23-19 03:46 PM

Abigail Breslin (8 movies, including Zombieland and Zombieland 2) is a good way to get another girl in the actors list.

Chad 09-23-19 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by mallratcal (Post 13611973)
Sid Haig can be added to the RIP list. :(

Just added. I thought after the second post from his wife saying he bounced back that he'd pull though, but apparently not.

Chad 09-23-19 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by indiephantom (Post 13611450)
If volunteers are still needed for a subset film, let me know. Pretty busy these days, but I would like to participate in some way.

It's already done, but thanks anyway.

Chad 09-23-19 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by tarfrimmer (Post 13610821)
It really is impressive. But then I'm a big fan of "useless" knowledge!

Useless probably wasn't the best choice of words. I was mainly referring to the weird October holidays - 'National Get Funky Day', 'National Ass Day', 'National Kick Butt Day', 'National Grouch Day', 'Count Your Buttons Day', 'Caps Lock Day', and countless others.

That said, it is very cool to get New Nightmare on its premiere date anniversary, Larry Cohen on one of his, and especially Donald Pleasence on the exact day he turns 100.

DaveyJoe 09-23-19 07:16 PM

Tell me more about "National Ass Day."

Chad 09-23-19 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 13612430)

It's Thursday, October 17 and not to be confused with "National Slap Ass Day" on April 7 or "National Grab Ass Day" on April 11.

Chad 09-23-19 09:09 PM

I've plugged in all the suggestions up until this point.

Just a few more spots to fill...

mrcellophane 09-23-19 10:47 PM

I had a thought about the Director category. There does seem to be any women on it, but I don't know a female director with enough films to be eligible. How would people feel about filling the last place with something along the lines of "Watch a movie directed by a female director"? That may be more of something to incorporate elsewhere next year, but I thought I'd throw that out.

alyxstarr 09-24-19 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by mrcellophane (Post 13612564)
I had a thought about the Director category. There does seem to be any women on it, but I don't know a female director with enough films to be eligible. How would people feel about filling the last place with something along the lines of "Watch a movie directed by a female director"? That may be more of something to incorporate elsewhere next year, but I thought I'd throw that out.

mrcellophane, I actually had a very similar thought. So I support this idea. :thumbsup: And thank you for bringing it up!

Undeadcow 09-24-19 01:26 PM

Should we add Sid Haig to the actor checklist if a more fitting tribute cannot occur at this late hour? He could maybe replace Oliver Reed. Making the preliminary suggestion we have a Sid Haig theme day next year.

Darth Maher 09-24-19 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 13612430)

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 13612519)
It's Thursday, October 17 and not to be confused with "National Slap Ass Day" on April 7 or "National Grab Ass Day" on April 11.

That's a potential Theme Night if I ever heard one.
"Watch a movie that contains your favorite ass".

It could go either way.