12th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

12th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Old 06-30-19, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: 12th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Dusk starts late enough 'round these parts (a little bit after nine) that I'll watch one short (60 minutes +/-) movie or watch an episode of Slayers, start the next Ace of Wands serial and call it a night.
I hear you, it's 9:30ish for me (like 9:37 or there about). I sort of thought about starting The Fellowship of the Ring but that's way too long for me to watch tonight, though since it is summer, I don't have to get up early. Leaning towards either a Harryhausen film or maybe a MST3K one.
Old 06-30-19, 08:33 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

It's 9:57 for me here so my hands are tied somewhat. I'm thinking of starting with God Told Me To on Shudder just in case it leaves in the middle of the month.
Old 06-30-19, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh! I just remembered, the checklist is now finalized. I'll update the starting post here and in the list thread with the one I posted a bit ago. I don't remember any more additions or comments though I'll double check. I'll do that right now. Was just about to pop in It Came from beneath the Sea when I realized I hadn't done that yet. Sorry!
Old 07-01-19, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I started the Challenge by finishing season 3 of Jessica Jones. Overall it was a satisfying ending to the series.
Old 07-01-19, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Off to a slow start... I sort of wanted to finish the 2nd season of The Rebel I'd started last week. Didn't get it done... may do a few episodes scattered in so it's not sitting there staring me in the face all month waiting to be completed.

Still trying to decide what I want to watch first... I *did* at least get things a bit more organized this year and have all my unwatched SF/Fantasy in an easily accessible location.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 07-01-19 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-01-19, 08:25 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

i started Jessica Jones but just couldnt get into it. i watched a couple episodes of the first season.

I am going to kick it off with Star Trek the original series. i have worked my way through season one and halfway through season 2
Old 07-01-19, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

​​​​I started last night with two things. I recently got a copy of the Season 1-6 set of Ancient Aliens, and have lately been working my way through Season 3 for the Historical Challenge, so I watched the last episode on Disc 2. After that I felt like listening to an episode of Coast To Coast AM, since I am a Coast Insider and get the last five years on Demand, as well as weekly Art Bell episodes with Somewhere In Time. I listened to Saturday night’s episode which dealt with Bigfoot.
Old 07-01-19, 11:50 AM

you should check out Phil Hendrie. he does a podcast comedy spoof and sometimes he does Art Bell
Old 07-01-19, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the tip. I’ll check him out
Old 07-01-19, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm debating whether I want to use one of my wildcards on Rocketman (which I managed to catch before it gets booted from all theaters in my area for Spiderman). Even though every synopsis describes it a musical fantasy, no one lists "fantasy" as one of the genres.

My official kick-off viewing was for a Swedish movie called Border. I didn't realize until the credits that it was based on a story by the author of Let the Right One In. While I didn't find it anywhere near as engrossing as that movie, I'm certainly glad I watched it. It's a low-key build-up to the fantasy elements of the story. What starts off as a quiet drama about a Neanderthal-looking woman trying to get by in life morphs into an modern-day fantasy/fairy story about ...
Spoiler:
trolls!
Old 07-01-19, 08:21 PM

I watched Star Trek Generations (1994). My plan is to watch all four of the Picard films. I historically was a snob that preferred the original series, but i have to say i really enjoyed Generations and the 'handoff' between Kirk and Picard worked for me.
Old 07-02-19, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Off to a slow start... I sort of wanted to finish the 2nd season of The Rebel I'd started last week. Didn't get it done... may do a few episodes scattered in so it's not sitting there staring me in the face all month waiting to be completed.

Still trying to decide what I want to watch first... I *did* at least get things a bit more organized this year and have all my unwatched SF/Fantasy in an easily accessible location.
Me too. Unexpected company showed up yesterday and are staying till tomorrow. Not sure if I'll get anything watched today, but hopeful for tomorrow. Also, for me, having a smaller selection really helps my decision making! It's most of the battle for me, making a decision of what exactly I want to watch!

Originally Posted by shadokitty
​​​​I started last night with two things. I recently got a copy of the Season 1-6 set of Ancient Aliens, and have lately been working my way through Season 3 for the Historical Challenge, so I watched the last episode on Disc 2.
You are a big fan of Ancient Aliens, aren't you? I think you've watched at least of a few of those episodes every year I remember!
My first watch was It Came From Beneath the Sea. Several years ago, I picked up a 3 movie set from Big Lots and that one I go back to a lot. This year, I watched one of the features and decided to finally hunt down a couple of the others that Harryhausen did, Jason and the Argonauts and the 7th Voyage of Sinbad. I also didn't realize but he did The Thief of Bagdad. It's been a long time since I watched that one, so may add that in as well.
Old 07-02-19, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LJG765
Me too. Unexpected company showed up yesterday and are staying till tomorrow. Not sure if I'll get anything watched today, but hopeful for tomorrow. Also, for me, having a smaller selection really helps my decision making! It's most of the battle for me, making a decision of what exactly I want to watch!
Mine wasn't unexpected - my son and his family (3 kids, wife, and dog - a small schnauzer that's OK for a dog [I'm absolutely not a dog person]) came in a week and a half ago. They're going home this Saturday. I love seeing them but them staying at my house during the visit really puts a dent in my viewing time. It seems that every year the first week of this challenge is slow for something in that vein. A couple of years we've gone to see them, they've been here a couple of years, or other family shows up.
You [shadokitty] are a big fan of Ancient Aliens, aren't you? I think you've watched at least of a few of those episodes every year I remember!
I think shadokitty's managed to work in episodes of that one in just about every challenge. If I've been keeping up correctly this looks to be the 3rd or 4th time through.
My first watch was It Came From Beneath the Sea. Several years ago, I picked up a 3 movie set from Big Lots and that one I go back to a lot. This year, I watched one of the features and decided to finally hunt down a couple of the others that Harryhausen did, Jason and the Argonauts and the 7th Voyage of Sinbad. I also didn't realize but he did The Thief of Bagdad. It's been a long time since I watched that one, so may add that in as well.
Harryhausen is one of my all-time favorites. I love Jason and the Argonauts and the Sinbad movies. His more mainstream SF and monster movies are also tops in my book. The only one I'm not that fond of is The Three Worlds of Gulliver, but I've never really cared for the story so that somewhat colors things.

I finally started last night with a long overdue viewing of my BR copy of Revenge of the Creature. I'd purchased this "day of release" and didn't open it due to the reports of botched 3D on this title (and I don't own 3D equipment - just wanting a proper, corrected, version). I got the replacement disc and opted to wait for this challenge. Last night was a good time. I also compared the new disc to the original for the 2D version and didn't notice any difference so the reports that nothing was done to fix that version are true (as I'd suspected). It looks a bit better than my DVD (the more recent single-sided disc DVD box set) except in WS (finally). I'll watch Creature Walks... or Creature from... tonight if possible.

Still deciding on just what TV show to put in rotation. I like to use those for late night viewings when I don't have time for a full movie, am too tired for a full movie, or just as a break from movies. I keep looking at Andromeda as I've only seen S1 of that, and recently as I purchased a very inexpensive S1 DVD set. I enjoyed it enough that I picked up a region free BR full series set so it's sitting there daring me to open it and start watching.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 07-02-19 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-02-19, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brainee
I'm debating whether I want to use one of my wildcards on Rocketman (which I managed to catch before it gets booted from all theaters in my area for Spiderman). Even though every synopsis describes it a musical fantasy, no one lists "fantasy" as one of the genres.
OK... I have to say it... That's a horrible name for that biopic! Every time... EVERY TIME I see the name I think of the 1999 Disney movie of the same name and have to stop and remind myself it's not that movie but the new one about Elton John.

Old 07-02-19, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I've decided to alternate TV days/movie days for the Challenge. The will hopefully keep me from burning out on either one and I can use the extra time to decide what movies/shows to watch the next day. Tomorrow for instance I've decided to go with a caveman double feature of Caveman (1981) and MST3K "I Was A Teenage Caveman". I've mostly got the TV stuff mapped out, Final Space, Slayers, a second Ace of Wands serial, on the Twelfth I'll start the second season of 3Below. I'm eyeballing The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina season 2 for the later half of the month and I'll fill in any gaps with whatever catches my eye.
Old 07-03-19, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I managed to watch The Creature Walks Among Us last night. It's a pretty weak entry into the Creature series but I still enjoy it... mostly. My middle granddaughter (age 8) came in while I was watching and started trash talking the underwater bits saying "The monster looks fake and those underwater parts look like green screen." I gave her grief over the "fake" looking monster (OK... it kind of does but it's not that bad) and let her know those underwater bits were filmed underwater. I don't think she believed me...
Old 07-03-19, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I’ve been really in the mood for this Challenge today and have gotten some good views in. I kicked off with an episode of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers ​​​​​​, from Season 1. Then I felt like a movie after that, so I revisited Avengers: Infinity War. I have always enjoyed that movie, but have been hesitant about watching Endgame. The Facebook posts I read about it were mostly negative. Then I decided to browse the movies on Dish On Demand, and came across a movie I had only seen once when I was a kid on a Sunday afternoon movie, Bug ​​​​​​, from 1975. It’s about a race of underground beetles that are able to start fires. The problem gets worse when a plan to kill them turns them into carnivorous cockroaches. The third movie I watched today was Fortress 2: Re-Entry ​​​​​​, on the Sony Movie Channel. I’d never seen it before, but loved it. Finally, while browsing the Dish Guide tonight, I came across what I think is a new show on Starz Edge, The Rook. It’s too early to tell yet, as I’ve only seen the first episode, but it looks like it will be a good show.
Old 07-03-19, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Then I felt like a movie after that, so I revisited Avengers: Infinity War. I have always enjoyed that movie, but have been hesitant about watching Endgame. The Facebook posts I read about it were mostly negative.

I'm a huge fan of all the movies. I really enjoyed both Infinity War and Endgame. Endgame is pretty much one giant action scene from start to finish (with a few feel good moments thrown in). I say go for it. Prepare for a long sit, but honestly, the time flew. I was never bored, looking at my watch wondering how much was left in the film. That being said, I'm not a comic book fan, so I don't have that to compare to. I just enjoy the movies for what they are; a big action love fest. I feel like Endgame wrapped things up pretty well. It's been a couple months since I've seen it, so I bet there are parts I'm forgetting, but nothing major is jumping out that bugged me, like a plot line that didn't get wrapped up or something that makes no sense in the movie verse. There is definitely at least one scene that got me in the feels, two really. I mean, we've all likely have spent the last 10-11 years following these movies and now they're coming to an end...

I received The 7th Voyage of Sinbad today, so I'm going to pop that in right now. Think this one has the scene with the skeletons fighting and I'm looking forward to seeing the whole thing, not just bits and pieces of it.
Old 07-03-19, 08:57 PM

Made it through all four Picard Star Trek films. I really enjoyed all of them. I think this series is under-rated.
Old 07-03-19, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I received The 7th Voyage of Sinbad today, so I'm going to pop that in right now. Think this one has the scene with the skeletons fighting and I'm looking forward to seeing the whole thing, not just bits and pieces of it.
That's Jason and the Argonauts, though you'll see Harryhausen's trial run for that scene (with just a single skeleton).
Old 07-03-19, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
Made it through all four Picard Star Trek films. I really enjoyed all of them. I think this series is under-rated.
I started Trek with TNG so these films are my favorite, too. I do enjoy ST: Voyage Home though. Gotta save the whales!

Originally Posted by brainee
That's Jason and the Argonauts, though you'll see Harryhausen's trial run for that scene (with just a single skeleton).
D'oh! I have about 15 minutes left and was wondering when they would show up! Luckily, I do have that one on order too, but likely won't get it for another week or two. I ordered another one tonight as well, The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms. I'm enjoying this one a fair amount. I might pop in Thief of Bagdad tonight as well since I'm enjoying the fantasy aspect of this (as opposed to the sci-fi ness of It Came From Beneath the Sea).

Oh, and here's the skeleton! Was starting to wonder if I missed him somehow. You totally have to give Harryhausen credit. Even though it's pretty obviously filmed in two parts, they go together pretty darn seamlessly. The movements of the puppet and the actor match up very well!

Old 07-03-19, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, and here's the skeleton! Was starting to wonder if I missed him somehow. You totally have to give Harryhausen credit. Even though it's pretty obviously filmed in two parts, they go together pretty darn seamlessly. The movements of the puppet and the actor match up very well!
When I was a kid I saw through all those effects and wished they could make them more realistic. Now we have CGI that looks very good and realistic and I find myself wishing we had someone like Harryhausen to make new stop action features. The grass ain't always greener...
Old 07-03-19, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
When I was a kid I saw through all those effects and wished they could make them more realistic. Now we have CGI that looks very good and realistic and I find myself wishing we had someone like Harryhausen to make new stop action features. The grass ain't always greener...
Very true! I'm a huge Disney fan, have been since I was a kid, so I grew up with all the old Disney live action films along with the animated films. So many of them need to use special effects (The Parent Trap, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Darby O'Gill). I went from being thrilled by it to seeing how dated it was and then eventually to admiring how well they did with what they had. The effects person/team had to be ahead of the times to invent new ways of showing the effects and do their best to make it seamless.

I find the newer CGI is amazing, but one bad scene can kick me out of the magic the film creates whereas an older film I appreciate the effects for what they are and it's easier to go with the flow. I mean, there are definitely films where the effects are laughable, but that's another fun aspect of movie watching!
Old 07-04-19, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yesterday while I was watching the Webinar for Features and Attractions at Airventure Oshkosh this year, I found another sci fi movie I can watch for this challenge. The Sunday night before opening day, Captain Marvel is playing in the theater on the campground.
Old 07-04-19, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Very true! I'm a huge Disney fan, have been since I was a kid, so I grew up with all the old Disney live action films along with the animated films. So many of them need to use special effects (The Parent Trap, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Darby O'Gill). I went from being thrilled by it to seeing how dated it was and then eventually to admiring how well they did with what they had. The effects person/team had to be ahead of the times to invent new ways of showing the effects and do their best to make it seamless.

I find the newer CGI is amazing, but one bad scene can kick me out of the magic the film creates whereas an older film I appreciate the effects for what they are and it's easier to go with the flow. I mean, there are definitely films where the effects are laughable, but that's another fun aspect of movie watching!
I'm *always* more impressed by "practical effects" visuals than CGI. While there are some excellent and amazing looking CGI sequences in films there's little "artistry" involved outside producing the artwork for the sequence(s). For CGI all you really need is a good starting image and software that can take that image from point A to point B while keeping perspective correct. No matter how good the original artwork may be, the visuals on film are only as good as the software and rendering hardware are capable of producing. I stopped being impressed by CGI long ago.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.