DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   12th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/647939-12th-annual-sci-fi-fantasy-challenge-discussion-thread.html)

LJG765 07-31-19 04:18 PM

Re: 12th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 13586795)
I love the Serenity movie so I’m sad to see other people don’t. :sad: I watch it more often than the Firefly series because of time efficiency.

I totally understand this! You love something so much that you want others to love it just as much. I will admit, the ending got better than the beginning. I think if they had just made it like it was a continuation of the series, I would have enjoyed it much more. But they had to recap what the show was about for those who never watched it and doing that lost some of the connection the crew had at the end of the series.

I plan on watching a Miyazaki film to use as a crossover film and maybe starting my Jonny quest BRs. I also need 2 more checks for the "He's dead, Jim" category so hoping to find something that I can get some double credit for. Hmm, wonder if Alan Rickman did any of the voice overs for the English versions of the Miyazaki films...I'll have to check that out.

BobO'Link 07-31-19 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by shadokitty (Post 13586868)

My ex gf has the Director’s Cut of Army Of Darkness ​​​​​​. The ending is definitely different in that one, without giving anything away.

IIRC the original ending is a "bonus" item on the Theatrical cut releases (all of them - even the DVD and BR with all three versions).

LJG765 07-31-19 09:44 PM

Just popped in Jonny Quest and within the first 5-8 minutes predicted cell phones with video calling! I don't think they copied from Star Trek either, since it was made 2 years before ST: TOS, season 1!

BobO'Link 08-01-19 11:27 AM

I finally watched 9 last night. It was visually interesting but the story didn't hook me. It was OK, but somewhat confusing at times and mundane at others. Parts of the story seemed to be set up solely so specific events would happen and not by any logic - at least none that I saw/got. I read some reviews after watching it to see if there was something I missed and they were uniformly of the same opinion as mine - even Ebert's (not surprising as I tend to agree with his opinions). Supposedly it's a film for adults but I kept thinking my 8yo granddaughter might like it better than me.

I'd watch it again but it's not high on my rewatch list.

shadokitty 08-01-19 11:29 AM

Thank you for another fun month LJG. I’m thinking I might do more sci fi this month when I’m not watching animation. There are a lot of movies and series that I didn’t get to.

LJG765 08-01-19 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 13587278)
I finally watched 9 last night. It was visually interesting but the story didn't hook me. It was OK, but somewhat confusing at times and mundane at others. Parts of the story seemed to be set up solely so specific events would happen and not by any logic - at least none that I saw/got. I read some reviews after watching it to see if there was something I missed and they were uniformly of the same opinion as mine - even Ebert's (not surprising as I tend to agree with his opinions). Supposedly it's a film for adults but I kept thinking my 8yo granddaughter might like it better than me.

I'd watch it again but it's not high on my rewatch list.

:( I was hoping you'd like it more. Did you watch the short by any chance? You may enjoy that more. Glad you gave it a chance though!

Watched 5 episodes of Jonny Quest last night and the picture is really clear! I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it looked. Pretty sure episode Pursuit of the Po-Ho is why they have that warning on the back of the case about being intended for the collector and not suitable for children.

Originally Posted by shadokitty (Post 13587281)
Thank you for another fun month LJG. I’m thinking I might do more sci fi this month when I’m not watching animation. There are a lot of movies and series that I didn’t get to.

I'm glad you had a fun month! It's one of my favorite genres so I'm like you, have plenty left over to watch later!

BobO'Link 08-01-19 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by LJG765 (Post 13587289)
:( I was hoping you'd like it more. Did you watch the short by any chance? You may enjoy that more. Glad you gave it a chance though!

No, I've not seen the short. That's one thing all the reviews had in common - praise for the short and a general wondering why it went wrong when expanded to movie length. I may look it up this month for the Animation challenge.

Originally Posted by LJG765 (Post 13587289)
Watched 5 episodes of Jonny Quest last night and the picture is really clear! I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it looked. Pretty sure episode Pursuit of the Po-Ho is why they have that warning on the back of the case about being intended for the collector and not suitable for children.

That episode's the primary reason for the "warning" as well as the reason many of us long-time fans were upset with the DVDs, where the non-PC dialog was edited out, and thrilled with the BR for finally putting it back where it belongs... although they curiously left it out of the subtitles when it was there on the DVDs where the dialog was cut... Oh well...

All of the end credits have been properly restored as well. The DVDs used the same end credit sequence for every episode. And both open sequences are back on their proper episodes. I forget the exact episode but they changed a bit a few episodes in.

LJG765 08-01-19 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 13587331)
No, I've not seen the short. That's one thing all the reviews had in common - praise for the short and a general wondering why it went wrong when expanded to movie length. I may look it up this month for the Animation challenge.

That episode's the primary reason for the "warning" as well as the reason many of us long-time fans were upset with the DVDs, where the non-PC dialog was edited out, and thrilled with the BR for finally putting it back where it belongs... although they curiously left it out of the subtitles when it was there on the DVDs where the dialog was cut... Oh well...

All of the end credits have been properly restored as well. The DVDs used the same end credit sequence for every episode. And both open sequences are back on their proper episodes. I forget the exact episode but they changed a bit a few episodes in.

Well, I'll be interested to see what you think of that! I honestly enjoyed the movie though, maybe seeing the short first helped?

There's def. been quite a bit of racial stereotyping in these episodes that I've been watching. But, I agree, if you get rid of the racism and try to forget, you're doomed to repeat it. Use the medium to show how far we've come and why it was wrong.

LJG765 08-01-19 08:57 PM

Well, that month went by fast! I wanted to thank everyone for participating!

This month we had (excluding myself) 30 participants! Only 2 of which did not fill out their watch list. Of those 30 people, we had someone watch 209 items! 5 people watched over 100 and there were several in the 80-90 range. Not too shabby!

Average amount of watches seems to be 65.5...pretty good for a group of 30!

Not including myself, 7 people worked on the checklist. There were 3 finishers, so congrats to orlmac, popcorn and tarfrimmer!

Until next year!

lisadoris 08-02-19 05:01 AM

Thanks for hosting this wonderful challenge. I completely slacked this year but I still had fun.

Trevor 08-02-19 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by LJG765 (Post 13587573)

This month we had (excluding myself) 30 participants! Only 2 of which did not fill out their watch list. Of those 30 people, we had someone watch 209 items! 5 people watched over 100 and there were several in the 80-90 range. Not too shabby!

Not including myself, 7 people worked on the checklist. There were 2 finishers, so congrats to orlmac and tarfrimmer!

Until next year!

You’re too fast. You have to give people at least a week to finish up their lists!

BobO'Link 08-02-19 08:20 AM

Thanks for hosting LJG!

I kind of slacked off a bit this year but I've done that with all of the challenges. They had started to take over (my OCD was coming out) and I decided it was time to end that before it got fully out of control. ;)

Trevor 08-02-19 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 13587698)
Thanks for hosting LJG!

I kind of slacked off a bit this year but I've done that with all of the challenges. They had started to take over (my OCD was coming out) and I decided it was time to end that before it got fully out of control. ;)

I think my OCD is always in control, I just try to direct it to useful places from time to time.

LJG765 08-02-19 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 13587689)
You’re too fast. You have to give people at least a week to finish up their lists!

Sorry! I'm hosting the Animation challenge and since I skipped prizes this year, decided to kind of wrap this one up a little sooner than usual!

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 13587698)
Thanks for hosting LJG!

I've been not participating as much either. I started a new job (well, not so new now!) about a year and a half ago and find I'm exhausted when I get home. But, I still try to participate because it gives me incentive to not just watch drivel on the TV when I do have energy! Just remember, even one watch usually counts as long as you number your list! lol! But anyway, it's good you realized what was happening! Challenges are supposed to be fun, not work!

popcorn 08-04-19 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by LJG765 (Post 13587573)

Not including myself, 7 people worked on the checklist. There were 2 finishers, so congrats to orlmac and tarfrimmer!

Until next year!

Three finishers! I was just slow to update my list.

This month did fly by quickly! Thanks for hosting it,

orlmac 08-04-19 03:48 PM

Thanks for your work on this challenge LJG. It is much appreciated!

LJG765 08-04-19 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by popcorn (Post 13588550)
Three finishers! I was just slow to update my list.

This month did fly by quickly! Thanks for hosting it,

Congrats! I'll update that post! I did do the stats pretty quickly...but in my defense, that was the first time I did them! Thought it might be a good closer to the challenge since there weren't prizes this year. :)