Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Tenth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2019

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-19, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: The Tenth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2019

I've finally narrowed down my theme. I've been inspired by Cardsfan11 (hope you don't mind!) and their watching of films from the past fifty years. I want to take that and combine it with only choosing from my unwatched pile. I am not limiting myself to films, but to TV Shows, docs, whatever else would qualify. I doubt that I'll make it to 50 years, but that's a pretty good goal to aim for.
Old 05-05-19, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Re: The Tenth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2019

I still haven't decided... have some personal things going on that are taking my enthusiasm away. I'd started finally watching the BR of The Twilight Zone I purchased a couple of years back and have just been binging it as it's easy... One season left so I may just complete that and then come up with something. Right now I'm just in autopilot mode with my watching...
Old 05-05-19, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
I've finally narrowed down my theme. I've been inspired by Cardsfan11 (hope you don't mind!) and their watching of films from the past fifty years.
Of course not!

Quite possibly the first time in all my years at DVDTalk that I've inspired someone. Ha!
Old 05-05-19, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Of course not!

Quite possibly the first time in all my years at DVDTalk that I've inspired someone. Ha!
Thanks! I'm sure it's not the first time you've inspired someone...probably the first time someone wanted to admit it...but not the first time! lol!
Old 05-08-19, 06:30 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Have pretty much ignored Game of Thrones until recently. Watched one episode several years ago, but the wife didn’t like it enough to want to continue, so I put it in the back burner.

Well, it ending next week or so made me think it might be fun to try to binge it this month.

It’s been a blast. Love how each season ending tends to be a major shock, and I’m glad I’m not having to wait a year or two to continue. Should be able to get current in the next couple days and then watch the final two episodes “live”.
Old 05-09-19, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
Have pretty much ignored Game of Thrones until recently. Watched one episode several years ago, but the wife didn’t like it enough to want to continue, so I put it in the back burner.

Well, it ending next week or so made me think it might be fun to try to binge it this month.

It’s been a blast. Love how each season ending tends to be a major shock, and I’m glad I’m not having to wait a year or two to continue. Should be able to get current in the next couple days and then watch the final two episodes “live”.
At least you got yours to watch an episode or two with you. Mine absolutely will not watch anything like GoT unless it's her idea and she stumbles across it. I'll tell her "It has lots of stuff you like - it's just set in a fantasy world/another planet/outer space or is based on a legend" but those words are her "no way" triggers. I really think mine would like GoT but as soon as she'd see the costumes and setting it'd be game over.
Old 05-09-19, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Luckily I have streaming subscriptions, like Sling TV and YouTube TV. Don’t know if this counts as an equipment failure or not, but I need a new Dish receiver. When we called Dish yesterday, we were informed that our box was obsolete. They are coming tomorrow morning to hook up a new receiver. At least I will be getting hd tv and possibly a DVR for Dish now.
Old 05-10-19, 02:41 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

GoT is so detailed, layered, and rich with (fake) history, binge watching is really the best way to get the most out of it.

For the Summer Sizzle, I watched The Mummy Returns for the first time since it came out. I remember thinking it had some bad CGI at the time, but wow, it's really ridiculous. Were all the good CGI artist busy working on Lord of the Rings?
Old 05-13-19, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I officially started my challenge last night with The Maltese Falcon. I picked that one as it's been on my to watch list for years and was going to watch it a few months ago, but never got to it. I didn't hate it. I think if I had watched it when I first was starting to get into older (pre-1970s) films, I would have really liked it (other than Sam Spade, but more on that later.) Unfortunately, it is such a classic film that EVERYONE has done an homage or parody or referenced it and while I didn't read up on the details, as soon as O'Shaughnessy walked into the office, I knew what was going to happen. And other than a few smaller plot points, I pretty much knew who was going to do what about 10-15 minutes into the film and that did take away some enjoyment of the film for me.

That being said, I enjoyed the film. It still managed to keep my attention even with me knowing the "twist." I mean, there is definitely a reason so many people wanted to homage to it! I did kind of hate the character of Sam Spade. What a jerk. He's horrible to most of the women in his life. His partner's wife, O'Shaughnessy...even his secretary, really.

I did follow up the movie with watching the 2 included shorts, "Hiawatha's Rabbit Hunt" and "Meet the Doughboys." They were alright. I did have the thought watching the movie that the score was very Looney Tunes/Tom and Jerryish and the shorts just reinforced that for me.
Old 05-15-19, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Canada has some magnificent scenery. I was watching an episode of Foxpro Fast And Furious on YouTube. The host was on a coyote hunt up in Alberta, and one of the camera shots that it showed while the host was talking was a magnificent view of the Rocky Mountains on the horizon. It was a breathtaking shot.
Old 05-20-19, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

I worked through 5 hours of the second season of Soap -- Mill Creek crams a lot on one disc including the first episode of season three. I have memories of the show as a kid and I did recall a few scenes from season two but for the most part it was new to me. The show definitely broke a lot of ground for its time.
Old 05-20-19, 09:35 AM

Think I’ll be ending my Challenge early and calling it quits later today. Finishing up my ~40 item checklist now, and also watched all of Game of Thrones this month, so much more screen time than normal. I need a break and some fresh air.

Very enjoyable month though. GoT was as great as the buzz has been, for the first 5 seasons at least, and still a decent enough ending to not entirely sour me on it.

Young Adult was my favorite blind watch. Very dark and great performances from pretty much the entire cast.

And I finally got off my butt and started The Hobbit trilogy. It wasn’t bad, but looks like I was correct in thinking that it wouldn’t come close to measuring up to the LOTR trilogy.

Looking forward to a short break and then plunging into the Historical Challenge, which starts early to add in Memorial Day war film time.
Old 05-20-19, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Very enjoyable month though. GoT was as great as the buzz has been, for the first 5 seasons at least, and still a decent enough ending to not entirely sour me on it....

And I finally got off my butt and started The Hobbit trilogy. It wasn’t bad, but looks like I was correct in thinking that it wouldn’t come close to measuring up to the LOTR trilogy...
We once again agree.

I told my coworker who's firmly in the "I love Dany" camp - The GoT ending was satisfying but felt rushed at times with some scenes dragging out too long. Another said he hated it and won't ever rewatch it. I countered the first 5 seasons are absolutely worth revisiting with a couple of good S6 episodes (Hodor esp.) and I can tolerate the last 3.

I enjoyed The Hobbit but felt it was 1 movie too long.
Old 05-20-19, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
We once again agree.
Yay, back in sync!
I told my coworker who's firmly in the "I love Dany" camp - The GoT ending was satisfying but felt rushed at times with some scenes dragging out too long. Another said he hated it and won't ever rewatch it. I countered the first 5 seasons are absolutely worth revisiting with a couple of good S6 episodes (Hodor esp.) and I can tolerate the last 3.
Few shows get a near perfect ending, and they’ll always be a sizable percentage unhappy with certain resolutions even then. I might rewatch some of it someday, but pretty sure that will stay behind my backlog of multiple hundred seasons of first time views. So in all practically, I’ll never see it again unless I live to be 123.

I’ve already sold most of my discs of it, but have much of it in digital just in case medicine keeps me alive that long.
I enjoyed The Hobbit but felt it was 1 movie too long.
Knowing it was stretched out to three was partially my reason for losing excitement on it. I’m sure I’ll watch the other two fairly soon.
Old 05-28-19, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
I had an unexpected crossover with your challenge today when Dick Miller popped up in one of my movies, Mr. Billion. A pleasant surprise...
I finally found Mr. Billion! I enjoyed it.
Old 05-28-19, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I've enjoyed this month. My goal was 50 films from 50 different years. I'm on #48, I believe.

I appreciate the opportunity to involve my kids/family in a challenge if I can. I've introduced the kids to Shirley Temple this week while catching a few movies from the 1930s.
Old 05-28-19, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I've enjoyed this month. My goal was 50 films from 50 different years. I'm on #48, I believe.
That’s a good topic. I have a pipe dream of one May watching a film for every year of film history. Even concentrating on shorts, it’s be difficult I think.
Old 06-01-19, 06:35 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm satisfied with the way my Asian Film Challenge went. Although the numbers weren't huge (25 films) I enjoyed what I watched and probably wouldn't have viewed any of these last month if it weren't for the challenge. As predicted most of the movies I watched were from Shaw Brothers studio and most were martial arts. I did watch a few samurai movies and a couple from Golden Harvest studios. The Shaws I watched included three pure fantasy movies (based on a famous 16th century novel Journey to the West), a few horror martial arts films (the best being Finger of Doom), and a huangmei opera, Lady General Hua Mu-Lan. These operas are one of several kinds of opera in China and the form is based on rural songs and could be over 200 years old. All this barely scratched the surface of what I have unwatched and didn't even include Korean films so I wouldn't be surprised if this challenge pops up for me again next year.

Many thanks to Dimension X for hosting this.
Old 06-01-19, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, that was a challenge fail for me. I only got to one film this month. I had a small stack of movies to get to but never got to them. Work got too busy and I ended up with a cold this last week. By the time I got home at night and ate, I usually was tired enough I headed to bed. I didn't even watch TV much at all in general. There's always next year!
Old 06-01-19, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Thank you to everyone who participated.

I had fun with my challenge. I didn't even get to any of the movies I haven't seen yet, or any of the DC shows (plus I still have a lot of Marvel shows to go), so I'm planning on keeping on with the theme for a while. I may keep my list updated, but maybe not. i found a few shows I hadn't heard about, or had forgotten about (Cloak & Dagger? Really?), and it'll take more than another month to get through them all.
Old 06-02-19, 12:37 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Thank you Dimension X, this challenge is always fun to do. I was able to put another dent in my unwatched pile. I'm sure this time next year I'll still have a lot of unwatched blind buys, so I'll have to come up with another creative way to keep the discs spinning.
Old 06-02-19, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for running this Dimension X. I always enjoy this challenge.
Old 06-02-19, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

Thanks Dimension X, I enjoyed this challenge. I managed to get through all of the special features I hadn't watched. They really pulled out all the stops on Mission: Impossible Fallout. That took forever! Now I can go forth and buy more blu-rays!
Old 06-02-19, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Thanks Dimension X for hosting another challenge, I too worked a bit on my unwatched pile.
Old 06-04-19, 05:31 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Let me add my thanks to Dimension X. I play this challenge fast and loose and it's alway fun.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.