Search this Thread

Old 04-24-19, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
The Tenth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2019

The Tenth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge
May 1-31, 2019

The list thread is here.

May is just a week away, so it's time, once again, to take a look at your dusty, unopened box sets, your unwatched stacks of Blu-rays, DVDs, HD-DVDs, LDs, VHS or Beta tapes, your DVR, your Netflix queue, etc., etc., and decide what you think you should spend 31 days watching. Now's your chance to finally watch all the stuff that didn't fit, or that you just didn't get around to, during the other Challenges.

Since you choose your own Challenge theme, you make the rules.

There are however a few guidelines which everyone should follow.

Challenge Guidelines:

The Challenge runs from May 1 through May 31.

Sure, you can do your May MYOC in September if you want, but the list thread will only be stickied during May, so if you want anyone else to see what you're up to, please try to do it near those dates.

Please state your challenge theme and your challenge goal and rules (if any) at the top of your list(s) in the list thread so others can tell what you're doing.

Please don't duplicate an existing "Official" DVD Talk Challenge.

This guideline is mainly here so we don't subtract from participation in any of the other Challenges, and to encourage participants to focus on genres not already covered by a Challenge, but since everyone's "need to watch" list is different, and you're able to watch stuff that qualifies for one or more of the other Challenges during every other Challenge, you're free to narrow the focus of one of the broader "Official" Challenges.

For example; Say you only collect horror, then you could make your Challenge to watch just horror films, or just horror TV shows, or just zombie films, etc. Or if you have lots of unwatched Sci-Fi, then your MYOC could be just watch Sci-Fi movies, or watch Star Trek shows, or watch TOS, etc.

Last edited by Dimension X; 04-29-19 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-24-19, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: The Tenth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2019

I'm planning to do another Comic Book movies and TV challenge. I've got a lot of unwatched Blus, plus NetFlix shows...

Last edited by Dimension X; 04-24-19 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-24-19, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: The Tenth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2019

I'm planning to do a Dick Miller Tribute.
Old 04-25-19, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I think I might do Documentaries and Sports
Old 04-25-19, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 378 Likes on 236 Posts

Thanks for starting this up, DX!

Last year, I attempted a 50 films in 50 (different) years challenge. I fell short of reaching my goal so I'm considering another go at it.
Old 04-25-19, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

I have a whole bunch of R2 TV series and am looking at repeating my "The British are Coming" challenge. Or a rather generic "Shrink the Unwatched Pile" one. Or a repeat of "Movie Serials" as I've acquired enough to do that one again with all new, unseen before by me, serials.
Old 04-25-19, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I'm going to do a Great Directors theme to coincide with a series that a local theater is having in May/June.
Old 04-26-19, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm going to go back to Canadian films again as I barely scratched the surface last year, in fact I'm going to retroactively start my challenge on Canada's National Canadian Film Day back on April 17 when I saw Happy Birthday To Me (1981) which will also allow me to count Canadian films that I'm seeing right now at the Calgary Underground Film Festival.
Old 04-27-19, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

With all of the talk of Avengers wherever I turn, I want to add a comic book challenge to Documentary and sports.
Old 04-28-19, 02:16 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, no never mind. I'm already bored by my idea. I'm gonna wing it.

Last edited by PCBreakdown; 04-30-19 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-28-19, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm going to try to figure out some theme to do this month. I haven't been watching a lot of movies lately and I'm kind of missing it. That being said...coming up to the end of the school year and I know I'm going to be swamped. Not sure what would pique my interest enough for a full month at this point. I'm very tempted to go in a direction that would get some of my unwatched pile watched rather than pick one theme/genre to watch.
Old 04-28-19, 10:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm thinking of doing an Asian film challenge. I have a lot of Hong Kong, Japanese, Korean, and Thai movies that have been sitting unwatched for far too many years. There will be lots of martial arts and Shaw Brothers movies but also other types like musicals and dramas for some variety. I don't know yet if I'll include TV shows but I do have Korean dramas and Japanese henshin shows that could fit the theme.
Old 04-29-19, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by omike
I'm thinking of doing an Asian film challenge. I have a lot of Hong Kong, Japanese, Korean, and Thai movies that have been sitting unwatched for far too many years. There will be lots of martial arts and Shaw Brothers movies but also other types like musicals and dramas for some variety. I don't know yet if I'll include TV shows but I do have Korean dramas and Japanese henshin shows that could fit the theme.
What a muse. I also have a large selection of asian titles that have sat neglected on my shelves. put me down for a Far East challenge.
Old 04-29-19, 01:27 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Like last year, I needed to come up with a theme that would let me continue to whittle away at my unwatched pile and at the same time offer me the widest variety of movies to choose from. So this year it's going to be imported movies... or more specifically: movies available on blu-ray, but only in region B.
Old 04-29-19, 08:08 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

As always, we have a concurrently running Make-Your-Own comic book reading Challenge.
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book...ay-2019-a.html
Old 04-29-19, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

I think I will do unwatched sitcoms again this year.
Old 04-30-19, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I have a ton of Blu-Ray special features to watch. That might be my challenge.
Old 05-01-19, 02:04 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Imma go with "Summer Sizzle Movies", either movies released in the summer or movies about/takes place during summer.
Old 05-01-19, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm structuring my challenge around the subscriptions I have (AMC A-List, Hulu, The Criterion Channel) and discs put out by boutique distributors (Twilight Time, Kino Lorber). I want to make sure that I'm actually going to use the subscriptions, and I have dozens of unwatched boutique discs from various sales.
Old 05-02-19, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I guess it's fitting that I finished listening to the isolated score for Star Wars: The Last Jedi. I smiled at Peter Mayhew's "Chewbacca consultant" credit. Went to my computer and saw that Mayhew passed.
Old 05-02-19, 08:34 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I'm structuring my challenge around the subscriptions I have (AMC A-List, Hulu, The Criterion Channel) and discs put out by boutique distributors (Twilight Time, Kino Lorber). I want to make sure that I'm actually going to use the subscriptions, and I have dozens of unwatched boutique discs from various sales.
I have a monthly checklist to make sure I watch something on every subscription and from every subset of things I collect.
Old 05-03-19, 02:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I gave a little thought to returning to a prior theme, Cops, Detectives, Criminals and Crime, but returned to my theme of the last two years, Around the World in 31 Days. Thanks again to mrcellophane for his suggestion of doing a foreign film challenge, which I don't think he actually used. Last year I started in the UK (Scotland), I think because Phileas Fogg began and ended in London (his home). This year I finally realized that I should use my home, so I began with The Oranges (apparently actually filmed largely in Rockland County, NY), a reasonably funny satire of suburban life set in my home of the last several decades. I expect to finish with Paterson, set within a half hour of home, a movie that I loved and my son has wanted to see since I told him about it shortly after. In between, I'll try to visit at least 31 other countries.

I continued to Canada, watching the first episode of The Kids of Degrassi Street, which evolved into a couple of other TV series. I also watched a couple of short films concerning the immigrant experience in Canada, Question Period (about Syrian refugees, a documentary short apparently just released a few hours before I watched it) and Blossom, an animated short about Chinese immigrants produced in connection with the Vancouver Olympics. The National Film Board of Canada web site is a great source for Canadian films, especially animation and documentaries.

The theory of my challenge is that I look for contemporary (at the time the film was made) movies about the way people live, excluding for the most part genre movies, not always serious but hopefully with some insight. As sociology, I would say The Oranges was ludicrous, if I didn't know anyone who had screwed up his life in the way that Hugh Laurie does in that movie.

It's always normal for a high percentage of what I watch to be foreign (my wife and I watched two K-Dramas last month), but this challenge has become a great way to get to movies in my collection that don't fit other challenges, and is a nice prelude to the cultural exploration of next month's Historical Challenge.

Last edited by ororama; 05-03-19 at 02:13 AM.
Old 05-03-19, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I have a monthly checklist to make sure I watch something on every subscription and from every subset of things I collect.
I meant to mention your checklist as an influence on my challenge idea but forgot. I'm planning to adopt a your system to make sure I utilize my subscriptions and collections and/or figure out where to trim the fat.
Old 05-04-19, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I decided what I finally want to do for my Challenge. I’m making myself an Xbox Challenge. I figure I have so many movies, apps, subscriptions, DVDs and Blu Rays that I haven’t used. This would give me the perfect opportunity to take advantage of the fact that the Xbox One is an entire entertainment system.
Old 05-05-19, 01:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by KaBluie
I'm planning to do a Dick Miller Tribute.
I had an unexpected crossover with your challenge today when Dick Miller popped up in one of my movies, Mr. Billion. A pleasant surprise...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.