Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 8th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2019

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 8th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2019

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-19, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dates: Sunset on February 28th to sunrise on April 1st.

Rules: Any film or TV show listed on IMDB with a genre of action, adventure, crime, or mystery counts for this challenge. You can use any counting method you choose.

Checklist will be updated some time in the next couple of weeks. I will let everyone know when it is finalized.

Questions? Please feel free to ask! If I can do anything to make the challenge more fun, let me know. Hope everyone has a great time!

PS - I will have the list thread up in the next week or so.
Old 02-02-19, 11:09 AM

Re: The 8th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2019

Checklist:

Spoiler:

Watch items from at least 7 decades of film history.
--- 1880 - (insert item title here)
--- 1890 -
--- 1900 -
--- 1910 -
--- 1920 -
--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 -
--- 1960 -
--- 1970 -
--- 1980 -
--- 1990 -
--- 2000 -
--- 2010 -

Watch items on at least 3 different formats (DVD, BD, HD-DVD, VHS, TV, streaming, theatrical, LD, etc.)
--- Format 1 - (insert item title here)
--- Format 2 -
--- Format 3 -

Watch items originating from at least 3 different countries outside of your own.
--- Country 1 - (insert item title here)
--- Country 2 -
--- Country 3 -
n/a my country -

Watch items with at least 6 different ratings.
--- G -
--- GP -
--- PG -
--- PG-13 -
--- M -
--- R -
--- X -
--- NC-17 -
--- Unrated / Not Rated -
--- TV Y -
--- TV Y7 -
--- TV G -
--- TV PG -
--- TV 14 -
--- TV MA -

Watch an item from at least 7 of the following subgenres.
--- Assassin / Hitman -
--- Based on a true story -
--- Comic book / Pulp fiction -
--- Comedy -
--- Conspiracy thriller -
--- Exploitation / B-Movie -
--- Fantasy / Science-Fiction -
--- Film Noir / Neo-noir -
--- Hong Kong crime -
--- Horror -
--- Kung fu / Martial arts -
--- Modern Caper / Heist -
--- Mystery / Thriller -
--- Samurai -
--- Serial Killer -
--- Spy / Espionage -
--- Swordplay -
--- Urban cop thriller -
--- War -

Complete at least seven of these categories.
--- a Criterion release -
--- a film and it's commentary -
--- a film and it's sequel -
--- a riffed version of a film / TV show (MST3K, Rifftrax, Cinematic Titanic, etc) -
--- a trailer -
--- an item selected for preservation by the National Film Registry -
--- Based on a novel -
--- Listen to the soundtrack of an action / adventure / crime / mystery film -
--- Read an action / adventure / crime / mystery comic book or graphic novel -
--- Read an action / adventure / crime / mystery novel -
--- special feature -
--- watch a film you’ve never seen before -
--- won an Academy Award, any category -

Watch a film by at least seven of these directors:
--- Daniel Alfredson
--- David Mackenzie
--- Francis Ford Coppola
--- Hayao Miyazaki
--- Henry Hathaway
--- Herman Yau
--- Howard Hawks
--- Jean Yarbrough
--- John Sturges
--- J. Lee Thompson
--- Lloyd Bacon
--- Petery Hyams
--- Robert Rodriguez
--- Samuel Fuller
--- Takashi Miike
--- Terence Young
--- Tony Scott
--- Tsui Hark
--- Zack Snyder
--- Zhang Yimou

Watch a film featuring at least seven of these actors:
--- Andy Lau
--- Antonio Banderas
--- Arnold Schwarzenegger
--- Chris Pine
--- Edward G. Robinson
--- Gina Carano
--- Jackie Chan
--- Jessica Alba
--- Jet Li
--- Michael Caine
--- Noomi Rapace
--- Richard Widmark
--- Robert Mitchum
--- Sam Rockwell
--- Samuel L. Jackson
--- Sean Connery
--- Shintarȏ Katsu
--- Sylvester Stallone
--- Takeshi Kaneshiro
--- Toshirȏ Mifune

Last edited by Greg MacGuffin; 02-24-19 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-02-19, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2019

After the Oscar Challenge, I'll take a break and jump into my re-watch of Homicide: Life on the Street and The Wire. Those should fit right in with this Challenge.
Old 02-02-19, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Action and adventure is one of my favorite genres, so I am ready for this challenge. I plan to get a jump start by watching some action for the Academy Award Challenge.
Old 02-03-19, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Looking forward to this. I've got all sorts of interesting stuff lined up.
Old 02-06-19, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Was craving a non Oscar film earlier today, so was browsing Amazon Prime. I came across an 80s sword and sorcery film called Sorceress. It reminded me of the movies from the 80s in every way. Especially the effects and the music. I loved it.
Old 02-13-19, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I actually find myself saving movies from the Oscar challenge for this one. I like the Academy movies, but they can be draining. Looking forward to this one because it's fun and it's second favorite favorite genre after horror
Old 02-13-19, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Prime Video Canada added Monk, Murder, She Wrote, Lost and Revenge in February which are perfect for this Challenge.
Old 02-17-19, 10:44 AM

Added the checklist to the second post. It is not finalized yet so if you have any suggestions please let me know.

I will get the list thread up in the next week or so.
Old 02-18-19, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about adding Takashi Miike and Tsui Hark to the director's list.
Old 02-19-19, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
How about adding Takashi Miike and Tsui Hark to the director's list.
Done!
Old 02-24-19, 12:43 PM

Found out that a theater near me is doing the Police Story double feature on Saturday. Perfect timing!

I made a couple more changes to the checklist and it is now finalized. I will put up the list thread in a few minutes.
Old 02-24-19, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I’m pretty much finished with the Oscar Challenge, so started watching some action today. I watched the first episode of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers ​​​​​​. I wanted to test the disc out after putting some toothpaste on it to repair dog caused scratches.
Old 02-26-19, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I’m not sure what I am going to start with, but I’m getting ready for the Challenge. It starts in just two days, and I’m looking forward to it. Many of my movies and tv shows are eligible. One thing I may work on is continuing Transformers Headmasters.
Old 02-26-19, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I got the following lined up for this challenge:
- Monk
- Murder, She Wrote
- Elementary
- The Zatoichi Criterion boxset
- The Shaw Bros. movies on Prime Video
- The Lone Wolf & Cub Criterion boxset

I'm ready for it!!!
Old 02-26-19, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got all kinds of stuff lined up. I'm considering re-visiting the One-armed Swordsman trilogy (if I'm feeling particularly ambitious I'll include the Zatoichi/One-armed Swordsman cross-over) and I'll knock-off another one or two Sleepy Eyes of Death movies (I've only got four or five unwatched movies left). Some deep cuts like When Eight Bells Toll (1971) and Where the Spies Are (1966).

TV will include the usual suspects mostly, like Wild Wild West, Remington Steele, Ellery Queen, The Avengers, etc... I'll probably poke around Netflix, Prime and Shudder to see if any of their TV offerings pull my chain. I think my unwatched trailer compilations lean toward horror, but I'll have to check. I can always re-watch something appropriate. And anime of course. I ought to be able to squeeze in at least one Lupin III movie.

Also a reminder that if you've got a library card, you should check to see if you library offers hoopla and kanopy (you can find out by signing up for an account) . Both provide a limited number of movies a month. Free and more choice is always good.
Old 02-26-19, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ Thanks to anime month deals, I got some free anime last month, including season 1 of Attack On Titan ​​​​​​. I’ve got other anime too.
Old 02-27-19, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Speaking of anime, I see that Mob Psycho 100 season 2 is available at Crunchyroll. Looks like they're simulcasting it. The last episode of season 2 will be available sometime next week, on or after the fourth. I see a binge in my near future.
Old 02-27-19, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I couldn't wait to start my Homicide: LOTS re-watch. My thoughts will not spoil future episodes of the show but I will spoil the episode I am talking about.

1.1 “Gone for Goode” Bayliss’ first day on the job and gets paired with Pembleton. The rookie quickly learns how things are done. Lewis wants to find a shell casing and inadvertently stumbles onto a female serial killer with Crosetti. Howard and Felton question an idiot who had a dead body in his basement. Munch and Bolander solve a cold case. Giardello introduces us to The Box, The Fishbowl, and The Board. Bayliss gets his first case as a primary: an 11-year-old girl named Adena Watson (based on an actual case).

1.2 “A Ghost of a Chance” we pick up right where we left off: Bayliss reading Adena Watson’s murder scene. The murder of a child is a red ball: all hands on deck. Bayliss unravels as the case goes nowhere. We get our first repeated jump cut featuring Crosetti and a super rat and we are introduced to DA Danvers. Howard is haunted by a ghost who wants justice and the ghost helps solve the case. Bolander has a crush on the medical examiner.

1.9 “Night of the Dead Living” G’s unit takes the nightshift. This episode was supposed to air third but aired as the season finale. It makes more sense here since Bolander is still contemplating asking out the medical examiner. Officer Thormann, who we met briefly in the last episode, shows up again. Felton continues to be a dick. Daniel Baldwin may have been a vocal supporter of the show when it was on the air but his character was the least likable IMHO. Pembleton encourages Bayliss to think like a criminal in an effort to break the Watson case and it works. We get a classic, over-the-top Munch rant in this episode. Since the squad isn’t actually investigating anything here, we got a lot of interesting character development.

1.3 “Son of a Gun” and here’s why moving “Night of the Dead Living” made no sense: in this episode, Officer Thormann was shot and blinded in the line of duty. In “Night,” he was not blind. Edie Falco plays Thormann’s wife beginning a long line of awesome guest stars who appear on this series. Luis Guzman also shows up here as Bolander’s neighbor who made a coffin in his apartment. Howard and Fenton investigate a woman who had a co-worker killed over an argument about Spiro Agnew’s bust in the Capital. What’s so funny is that Fenton says that Agnew never committed any crimes while he was VP but thanks to Rachel Maddow’s podcast, we now know that Agnew did commit crimes while he was VP. Howard and Felton also solve the female serial killer case Lewis and Crosetti started in the pilot episode. Bolander and the medical examiner finally go on a date. I like the callbacks.
Old 02-27-19, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been watching some action too, lisadoris. Last night I caught part of a Lion Force Voltron episode, until I got too tired to finish it.

Regarding Crunchyroll, if anyone is interested, there are also some Ultraman series on there. I started Ultraman Geed last year during the Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge.
Old 02-27-19, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I've been watching some action too, lisadoris. Last night I caught part of a Lion Force Voltron episode, until I got too tired to finish it.

Regarding Crunchyroll, if anyone is interested, there are also some Ultraman series on there. I started Ultraman Geed last year during the Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge.
I recommend Thunderbolt Fantasy. Two seasons and a movie. Puppetry and martial arts wu xia action up the wazoo.
Old 02-27-19, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the tip, Coyoteblue. I'll check it out.
Old 02-27-19, 04:04 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I think I am in the mood to watch the Jurassic Park series, but not sure yet.
Old 02-28-19, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The countdown begins. My challenge can start in about two more hours.
Old 02-28-19, 05:18 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I won't be able to start until tomorrow but I'm getting psyched for this. I'm going to start with Once A Thief directed by John Woo. I haven't seen it in a very long time but it was one of the movies that introduced me to Hong Kong action films and I have a DVD that hasn't been opened yet. After that who knows, but certainly some Zatoichi, Shaw Brothers, classic WB gangster movies, film noir, and British TV mysteries.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.