Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 8th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2019

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 8th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2019

Old 02-28-19, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The 8th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2019

More Homicide thoughts:

1.4 “A Shot in the Dark” Lewis and Crosetti clash over who shot Thormann – Lewis is right and Crosetti is mad that his personal feelings clouded his judgement. Bayliss gets a warrant to question the arabber in the Watson case. Captain Barnfarther screws the Watson investigation by revealing info to the press – now there’s a character who will prove to be slimy throughout the run of the series. Bayliss loses his crap and is later forced to apologize though he was totally right to rip Barnfather.

1.5 “Three Men and Adena” This remains one of the finest hours of TV in history. Andre Braugher, Moses Gunn (in his final performance before his death) and Kyle Secor locked in The Box for 40 minutes. This episode scared the daylights out of the NBC brass at the time. It’s nothing but dialogue and the Watson case never gets solved. The chemistry between Braugher and Secor is electric; they feed off each other. They aren’t always in sync in ways that they will become later but you see the seeds of what’s to come. Tucker mentions that Bayliss has a darkness inside of him and that statement plays itself out over the course of the series. Gunn does so much with the fact that he maintains his innocence through the entire interrogation but you know he’s hiding something. When he breaks down and admits that he loved Adena, it both sickens you and breaks your heart. At the end of the episode, I have no idea if he killed Adena or not.

1.6 “A Dog and Pony Show” Pembleton and Bayliss investigate the murder of a police dog. Edie Falco is back and her character is pregnant and given her husband’s condition, she is not as enthusiastic as she would have been and neither is Thormann. Crosetti talks sense into both of them. Howard has a problem with other female cops and veils her disdain in a “I hold women to a higher standard” bs line. Larry Gillard Jr. marks the appearance of our first future The Wire actor.

1.7 “And the Rockets’ Dead Glare” Munch gives us a history lesson and argument for the legalization of weed. Howard and Felton spend the day in court while Lewis and Crosetti get the runaround by the Chinese Embassy over the murder of a dissident. At the crime scene, Lewis is incredulous that the bullets were imported: “if you’re going to kill here, buy here.” They seemed surprised about the concept of diplomatic immunity which seems strange. Barnfather offers Pembleton the shift commander position but he doesn’t want a desk job. Danvers asks Howard out on a date and we meet Pembleton’s wife Mary (played by Braugher’s real-life wife Ami Babson).
Old 02-28-19, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: The 8th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2019

Let the challenge begin.

Came down with a pretty bad cold yesterday so I'm going to stay in tonight and watch True Romance which I don't think I've seen in about fifteen years.

Hope everyone has a fun challenge and watches some cool movies.
Old 02-28-19, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got in a movie (Scooby-Doo! and the Curse of the 13th Ghost (2019)) and an episode of Have Gun - Will Travel, tonight. I got to thinking that Scooby-Doo was kinda our Lupin III. I don't know if that says more about us or the Japanese. Maybe it just says something about Scooby-Doo and Lupin III. Now that would be an interesting cross-over. I'd say it'd be impossible, but if we can have a Supernatural/Scooby-Doo cross-over who's to say what is and isn't possible.
Old 03-01-19, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I started off the Challenge with 4 episodes of "Monk" from S5 and ended with "My Name is Trinity" on Prime Video Canada.

Season 5 of Monk is in top form as
Spoiler:
the only episode that I was indifferent about was the one of the Rock Concert. The episodes of the Shrink, the Dad and the Leper contained some classic Monk moments especially the Shrink one. The scene with Harold taking a bullet for Dr. Kroger and asking Monk to come closer to tell him: "Beat that!" was a laugh out moment for me.

My dad and I used to watch the old Terence Hill and Bud Spencer movies together when I was a kid and hold fond memories of them however, now as an adult, I didn't like it as much.
Old 03-01-19, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Last night, I just watched what I saw on TV. This morning after fits and starts, having trouble getting into various shows, I started disc 2 of Transformers: Headmasters. The show started to pick up on the first episode of disc 2, starting to make room for the new characters to come to the fore.
Old 03-01-19, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't watch a single thing last night. My son and his family (daughter-in-law plus 3 grandkids - ages 2, 5, & 7) are in town this week, staying with us. By the time everyone went to bed I was too wiped out to pick something, much less watch it to completion. I may try tonight... but... being Friday, no school tomorrow, and the nieces and nephew wanting to play games it's likely to be tomorrow before I start. They leave early in the morning (it's a ~12 hour drive home) so it should be a quiet Saturday. Well... after the rest of us get back from a Lions Club Pancake Breakfast event with Great Grandma and Great Grandpa.
Old 03-01-19, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yesterday evening, I watched You Were Never Really Here with friends. Joaquin Phoenix plays a fixer hired to recover a Senator's kidnapped daughter. He gets caught in a dark, brutal conspiracy. It's on AmazonPrime and definitely worth a watch.
Old 03-01-19, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Homicide thoughts:

1.8 “Smoke Gets in Your Eyes” Howard and Bayliss try to give up smoking because everyone on this show smokes. G finds out that the building has asbestos and the brass didn’t tell the rank and file about the removal. He crawls all up their butts and swears holy Sicilian vengeance if anyone gets sick. That scene was a Yaphet Kotto special. Munch and Bolander use a copy machine to get a confession from a criminal who is clearly several fries short of a happy meal. If I’m not mistaken, they used this trick on The Wire too – I guess it’s a tried and true Baltimore PD technique. John Waters makes a cameo appearance.

2.2 “See No Evil” Felton’s childhood friend gets caught up in an assisted suicide issue. Wilford Brimley stars as the father who is terminally ill and has made it clear that it wants out. Felton intervenes to prevent Brimley from using a Kevorkian style machine but a day later, the son shoots him. Lewis catches the case and decides, after a lot of yelling and soul searching, to let it slide. I really hope the laws in this country catch up to quality of life issues. The squad is assigned a psychologist for sensitivity training and Bolander is serious about not participating. It goes about as well as you think it will. Pembleton and Bayliss catch a case involving a dead drug dealer who was shot in the back and didn’t have a weapon. Everything points to an officer involved shooting but nobody, particularly G, wants to hear that except Pembleton.

2.3 “Black and Blue” A continuation of the Cox murder Pembleton and Bayliss caught in the previous episode. I show this episode in my TV class and the students are gobsmacked every single time. The black vs white and blue vs black dynamics are off the chart. The MLK vs Malcolm X language between G and Pembleton add to the complicated drama. Braugher is masterful in getting a confession from an innocent man and as many times as I’ve seen the episode, I still don’t know what to think about what Pembleton did. Isiah Washington is said confessor who was wearing an American Flag on his head while he was in The Box. Talk about symbolism. Julianna Margulies guest stars in this episode too as a waitress/musician who catches Bolander’s eye.

2.4 “A Many Splendored Thing” Pembleton and Baylis get a case involving BDSM and a phone sex hotline and Bayliss is super uncomfortable and judgmental. I mean seriously, Bayliss is shook and Pembleton just doesn’t care – we also learn that he speaks Latin. Once again, Bayliss is told about his dark side. Bolander and the waitress/musician go on a double-date with Howard and Danvers and Munch crashes the whole thing in a really embarrassing and depressing fashion.

2.1 “Bop Gun” The Robin Williams red ball. This episode aired first because the brass thought Williams would bring more eyeballs but it was meant to be the season finale. Damn good episode regardless of when it aired, and Williams was brilliant. I think this was the first time I saw him in a dramatic role. Family visiting Baltimore and the wife is killed during a mugging. Williams plays her husband. He goes through all five phases of grief in 40 minutes and he makes you feel it. A super young Jake Gyllenhaal plays the son (Gyllenhaal’s father directed the episode). G rightfully points out the fact that a white female tourist merits a red ball while any black murder victim wouldn’t have garnered the same attention. One of the things I love about this series is the music selection: this episode ends with Buddy Guy’s “Feels Like Rain.”
Old 03-02-19, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I finished off S5 of Monk yesterday. I thought it was a great season overall with the Garbage Strike, Meeting his Dad and the Leper episodes being the highlight of the season. Plus we have a blink and you miss, Jennifer Lawrence cameo/role before she was famous.
Old 03-02-19, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My son and I watched the first 4 films from the Jurassic Park series last night. It was a true movie marathon for 7-8 hours, rarely getting up except to swap discs out. It was a fun time while making memories. I had only seen the first film prior to last evening.
Old 03-02-19, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I managed to get in an episode of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. before falling asleep last night. We'd stayed up late playing games so I'm amazed I got it in. Got home from the Kiwanis Pancake Breakfast and started more U.N.C.L.E. but as soon as that disc has finished I'm planning to watch The Spirit of St. Louis starring James Stewart.
Old 03-02-19, 11:09 AM

This cold is kicking my ass more than I anticipated so I am going to have to skip the Police Story double feature today. Super bummed about that.

Stayed in last night and watched Avengers: Age of Ultron which I had not seen since it was in the theater. It was OK? Some of the special effects were shockingly bad, particularly that opening sequence. It looked like they ran out of time or money and weren't able to finish. I remember reading an interview with Joss Whedon around the time it came out and he seemed totally defeated by the production, like he knew he was presenting something that was going to disappoint people. I think there are a handful of good scenes scattered throughout but overall it feels like a big step down from the first flick.
Old 03-02-19, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Iíve been watching Season 3 of Batman today. I didnít get very far into it during the TV Challenge, but Iíve watched a few more episodes today. So far, Iíve seen Joan Collins and Ethel Merman as guest villainesses.
Old 03-02-19, 12:48 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
I finished off S5 of Monk yesterday. I thought it was a great season overall with the Garbage Strike, Meeting his Dad and the Leper episodes being the highlight of the season. Plus we have a blink and you miss, Jennifer Lawrence cameo/role before she was famous.
Weíre doing Monk this year, will have to watch for that one.
Old 03-02-19, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In a Batman '66 related vein... I'm currently watching The Man from U.N.C.L.E. S3. I don't recall seeing this season during its original run. 4 episodes in and the campiness induced/caused by Batman is showing. It's either that or a much reduced budget. There are quite obvious studio bound outdoor scenes, bad rear screen and/or matte shots, obvious stock shots of foreign locations, and plot lines more in keeping with Get Smart than a "Smart" show like TMFU was during S1 & S2. It's watchable, just not anywhere near as good as those first 2 seasons. I can absolutely see why it started losing viewers this season.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 03-02-19 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-02-19, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One thing I always enjoyed about Batman is the celebrity appearances. I just finished an episode that Iím pretty sure I saw Alan Hale. What was even more interesting is that he played a cook named Gilligan.
Old 03-03-19, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I spent the day watching some movies with the exception of one episode of Monk.

Enter the Fat Dragon (1978)
Spoiler:
With news that Donnie Yen will be remaking/rebooting/reusing title of this movie, I finally decided to watch the original with Sammo. It's a crime that the only way I can watch it is on YouTube and no decent HD release has been provided after 40 years of its release.
Plot is your basic standard one with Sammo being a pig feeder who comes to HK to help out his uncle and who's a huge Bruce Lee fan. In HK, he befriends some people and runs into trouble trying to help them. Average plot, great fighting sequences and some inappropriate use of Black Face painting.

Soul of the Sword (1978)
Spoiler:
Shaw Bros. movie about a swordsman trying to become the number one swordsman. Ti Lung stars in this and frankly, I wasn't into it. Some nudity and sex scenes didn't make this movie any better.

CHIPS (2017)
Spoiler:
Movie remake of the classic TV show which was panned by critics and moviegoers alike. I enjoyed this raunchy version as I don't mind Michael Pena and Dax Sheppard was tolerable in this. My only question is if that was really Jane Kaczmarek's naked chest? BTW, for fans of the old show, do not watch this movie. Except for the characters names, this movie shares no resemblance to the old show. I was not a fan of the original so I wasn't offended/disgusted by it.

The Hateful Eight (2015)
Spoiler:
Oh, Quentin! What can I say? My wife and I watched this movie last night. My wife hated this movie but having watched most of his movies, I knew what I was getting. I don't think this was his best effort and the first 40 minutes was painful.
Old 03-03-19, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
We’re doing Monk this year, will have to watch for that one.
Monk was added in February on Prime Video Canada and it has become my wife and I favourite show. We are on S6 already. I hope you enjoy it!
Old 03-03-19, 08:32 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
Monk was added in February on Prime Video Canada and it has become my wife and I favourite show. We are on S6 already. I hope you enjoy it!
Oh we love it, have watched every episode multiple times. It is one of the things that we bonded over while dating. Itís not a stretch to say that I owe my marriage to Tony Shalaub.
Old 03-03-19, 03:29 PM

Finished up my Avengers double feature with Infinity War which is such a huge step up from Age of Ultron. Forgot about the mid-credit sequence which has me hyped for Captain Marvel later this week.

Also watched one of my all-time favorites, Jackie Brown. I've seen this movie probably a dozen times. As much as I love most of his other movies, I don't think Tarantino has ever really topped this one. It's so perfectly paced and suspenseful. And that soundtrack.

This morning I watched a Mystery Science Theater 300 episode, "The Beatniks," which is a hilarious Joel-era episode. My cold is slowly getting better and this episode really put me in a good mood.
Old 03-03-19, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Starting Season 3 of Homicide

3.1 “Nearer My God to Thee” Crosetti is out and Russert is the new shift commander. She lands in the middle of a red ball as the city’s Samaritan of the Year is murdered and left wearing only white gloves. The cold open features a classic Munch rant about the future featuring 500 channels, people only communicating electronically, the demise of newspapers and the beginning of VR and Bolander wishes they would bring Hawaii 5-0 back. All of that came true. Lewis and Munch want to buy a bar. We’re also introduced to Det. Gaffney who is a total racist ass. Felton’s wife throws him out and Howard is caught in the middle. It turns out Felton and Russert are having an affair. Tony Todd has a small part as a reporter covering the Samaritan case.

3.2 “Fits Like a Glove” Not only is Gaffney a racist ass, but he’s also a bad detective. Pembleton finds evidence that he compromised the Samaritan crime scene. When Russert calls him on it, he turns into a sexist ass. Pembleton is put in charge just in time for a second body to turn up. Bayliss signs on as the third partner for the bar but gets in trouble over a misdemeanor gambling charge from way back in the day. A serial killer groupie is creepy as hell but gives the squad a heads up about similar cases in other states. Ted Demme directed this episode.

3.3 “Extreme Unction” The third installment in the Samaritan saga. A third body drops and Pembleton is having a crisis of faith. Woman comes in as a witness but turns out, she’s the killer. Pembleton gets her in the box and what follows is a classic, yet uncomfortable interrogation involving the possibility of multiple personalities. Andre Baugher pulls out all the stops while Russert gets her first look at him in action. Turns out, she called her lawyer ahead of time and then sues Pembleton. Then she goes on TV with Tony Todd and confesses to 8 murders. Russert meets Felton’s wife and breaks off the affair.

3.6 “Crosetti” Another episode aired out of order – it was supposed to be 4th and aired 6th. Everyone thoughts Crosetti was on vacation but it turns out he commits suicide. Lewis refuses to believe it and he runs over Bolander who’s in charge of the investigation. Going back to my love of this show’s music, this episode introduced me to John Lee Hooker’s “I Cover the Waterfront” which feels so perfect when they are fishing the body out of the water and gains resonance when you re-watch because you know who that body is and how it’s going to effect the characters. The song continues to play as Lewis cleans out Crosetti’s mailbox and this is before we know what happens. We learn that Pembleton doesn’t go to church anymore and therefore won’t attend the funeral. Everyone is pissed at him for not going and the brass won’t give him an honor guard because it’s a suicide. Pembleton stages his own personal honor guard as the New Orleans-style processional walks past the station – perfect send off. It’s a great episode for Clark Johnson.

3.7 “The Last of the Watermen” Howard and Felton get called to a horrid crime scene and Howard flips out, takes her vacation days, and goes home to visit family. It’s the “you can never go home again” episode for Howard as she ends up solving a murder while she’s there. That’s one of the things I love about this show: the murder and mayhem is not confined to the city: the boondocks has it’s share of violence and disfunction. Pembleton and Felton pair up to solve the grisly murder and we get to watch them play basketball before catching the killer.

3.4 “A Model Citizen” Lewis is smitten with a police artist and she is smitten with Bayliss. The feeling is mutual which makes things tricky between Lewis and Bayliss. She sleeps in a coffin so me thinks it won’t work out between any of them. The lawsuit against Pembleton and Russert by the Samaritan killer moves forward and it does not go well. The city decides to settle and Russert tells Pembleton that he crossed the line. I honestly could go either way on that issue. This episode was supposed to air fourth which makes Lewis’ statement at the beginning of this episode that Crosettii is dead rather awkward. Joe Morton stars as a community reporter/activist and old friend of G’s. Felton returns home to find his wife, kids, and furniture gone. That’s custodial interference, Felton should have sworn out a warrant for her arrest.

3.5 “Happy to Be Here” One of Joe Morton’s sources is murdered and then he ends up dead too. I kinda wish they would have introduced his character earlier before knocking him off. Bayliss and Emma continue to have sex in her coffin though her boyfriend, who is a state police officer, does not approve. The whole storyline feels really juvenile. Bayliss loses his crap and holds up a convenience store after being 11 cents short on a purchase.
Old 03-04-19, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This week I'm going to watch the one-armed Swordsman trilogy, followed by the two one-armed boxer movies that Wang Yu directed and starred in, The One-armed Boxer (1971) and Master of the Flying Guillotine (1976). All of the movies except The New One-Armed Swordsman (1971) star Wang Yu, The New One-Armed Swordsman stars David Chiang. Besides the obvious theme, the three Swordsman movies count as a trilogy because they're all directed by Chang Cheh. Wang Yu made plenty of movies, but he is probably best remembered for his one-armed roles (man knew how to exploit a niche).
Old 03-04-19, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Today's Homicide installment:

3.8 “All Through the House” Munch and Bolander investigate the death of Santa Claus. They go to the deceased’s house to find his young son but they don’t tell him about his father’s death for like 30 minutes. What’s strange is that he isn’t really dead – why didn’t they confirm ID before going to the house? The kid was annoying in that way that child characters often are. Bayliss tries to hustle G in a game of hearts and it backfires spectacularly.

3.18 “Nothing Personal” Crosetti’s cases are farmed out and Howard gets the impossible one. She’s persistent but sometimes, cases just don’t get solved. Felton continues to unravel and his drinking starts effecting his work. The most memorable plot of the story has to do with Russert introducing G to one of her friends. It looks like they hit it off but the friend decides against a date. G interprets the rejection as being because of his dark skin. I know that this story was based on Kotto’s real-life experience and it was brilliantly done.

3.9 “Every Mother’s Son” the other episode I screen for my TV class and it breaks my heart every time. Two women on opposite ends of a homicide and they don’t even know it. They are so similar and they hit of off and it all falls apart when they learn how they are connected to one another. Pembleton feels for the boy who commits the murder mostly because he is naÔve enough to believe that he is innocent because he killed the wrong person. The most painful part of the episode is at the end when Pembleton tries to talk some sense into the kid and the kid tells him that he’ll be safer in jail than at home. Pembleton starts to say something but realizes that the kid might be right. Great episode.
Old 03-04-19, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by coyoteblue View Post
This week I'm going to watch the one-armed Swordsman trilogy, followed by the two one-armed boxer movies that Wang Yu directed and starred in, The One-armed Boxer (1971) and Master of the Flying Guillotine (1976). All of the movies except The New One-Armed Swordsman (1971) star Wang Yu, The New One-Armed Swordsman stars David Chiang. Besides the obvious theme, the three Swordsman movies count as a trilogy because they're all directed by Chang Cheh. Wang Yu made plenty of movies, but he is probably best remembered for his one-armed roles (man knew how to exploit a niche).
Master of the Flying Guillotine is a favorite of mine. Great stuff.
Old 03-04-19, 10:57 PM

Camped out on my couch most of yesterday. Watched another MST3K episode, "The Final Sacrifice," which I don't think I had ever seen before. So damn funny. It's where the famous line, "I wonder if there's beer on the sun" comes from. Great, great episode.

Also watched Ant-Man and the Wasp which I had seen in theaters when it came out but forgot how much I enjoyed. Some really funny bits throughout, a pretty decent villain (for a Marvel movie), and a few totally random Morrissey references added up to a fun experience. Totally worth a second viewing.

Tonight I got caught up on the two most recent episodes of Star Wars Resistance, which is a show that I've had a pretty low opinion of so far. I thought these episodes were a slight step up in improvement but the show is still crippled by a lead character who rivals Jar Jar Binks in terms of how annoying he is. I think the season is almost over. I will stick with it until then but it is unlikely I will be around for season two.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.