Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 13th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (January 22, 2019 - February 24, 2019)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 13th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (January 22, 2019 - February 24, 2019)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-19, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Re: The 13th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (January 22, 2019 - February 24, 2019)

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I thought about Star Trek II for a movie that should have been nominated, but never got around to it. My reasoning is that I always felt that Ricardo Montalban deserved a best supporting actor nod.
I totally agree.
Old 02-26-19, 09:27 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: The 13th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (January 22, 2019 - February 24, 2019)

Originally Posted by lisadoris
Well, I didn't watch the ceremony (I never do) but there were some good surprises and some not so good surprises.

I kinda figured that The Green Book would win even though I was hoping it wouldn't. It's a film that makes white people feel good about racism so I had a feeling it would win. As folks are already predicting, this one's going down in history in the same vein as Driving Miss Daisy.

Maybe because the Academy knew the backlash they'd get for the Best Picture choice, several black people won: Regina King, Ruth Carter (finally), Hannah Beachler, Peter Ramsey, Mahershala Ali, and Spike Lee/Kevin Willmott.

What say you all: did the Academy get it right?
I cannot believe that FIRST REFORMED didn't get nominated. It would have been my choice for Best Picture.

Out of the pictures nominated...I would have preferred ROMA.
Old 02-26-19, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
They should just do straight up voting for the Best Picture winner though who knows if that would have changed the outcome. We did have Crash and Driving Miss Daisy win for Best Picture so, there's a history of this sort of thing.

Do folks have any suggestions for next year's challenge? I think I am going to put the Checklist in Alpha order since the Oscar Database lists the categories in Alpha order. 2018- will be added to the checklist years.

It doesn't look like too many people took advantage of the Razzie or the Movie That Should Have Been Nominated checklist categories so I can nix those.
Agreed. Just count the votes. Why complicate it?

As for the Razzie and fantasy allowance, I kind of just forgot about it. I was obsessed with seeing the actual nominees, but I think I would do it in the future. Why not let it breath a little and see if it catches on eventually?

Originally Posted by MrTerrific
I cannot believe that FIRST REFORMED didn't get nominated. It would have been my choice for Best Picture.

Out of the pictures nominated...I would have preferred ROMA.
Agreed! I would have liked to see First Reformed do much better! And there were several choices better than GB, Roma tops among them for sure.
Old 03-02-19, 03:13 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm going to choose the winner this year...it'll be from a combination of lots of titles watched and a varied mix of titles, too.

Stay tuned!
Old 03-10-19, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mao
I'm going to choose the winner this year...it'll be from a combination of lots of titles watched and a varied mix of titles, too.

Stay tuned!
So a week later, who won?
Old 03-11-19, 06:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

even though ShortsTV made available the Live Action / Animated shorts just a few days prior to the Oscar telecast last year, this year, they didn't make them available til AFTER .... [grumble, grumble] oh well.