Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

TV on DVD* The Ninth Season Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-19, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Re: TV on DVD* The Ninth Season Discussion Thread

Prime Video Canada added Murder, She Wrote and Monk to their lineup. I love MSW and never seen Monk but was always interested.
Old 01-22-19, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I watched a Season 5 episode of Perry Mason, "The Case of the Unwelcome Bride," in which Perry faces off against Bones and the Skipper.

Old 01-22-19, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've got a problem with my post in the list thread. I added a picture and it went haywire when I saved the post. Now there's thousands (millions?) of random characters in the middle of my list and I'm unable to edit or delete the post since those buttons have now vanished from my post. I reported the post and PM'd the three moderators and the one administrator several hours ago, but have not gotten any response.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do?

I don't mind deleting the post, since I can recreate it very easily.

Thanks.
Old 01-22-19, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I went to see if I could quote the post in hopes of saving you some work but the buttons are gone to quote it as well. Maybe report the post so that a mod can take a look and maybe fix?
Old 01-23-19, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The administrator had Adam Tyner fix it, so it's taken care of. (Thanks, Adam!)

So, note to self: don't click on "Copy Image" on Google. Click on "Copy Image Location."

Got it.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 01-23-19 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-23-19, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I've got a problem with my post in the list thread. I added a picture and it went haywire when I saved the post. Now there's thousands (millions?) of random characters in the middle of my list and I'm unable to edit or delete the post since those buttons have now vanished from my post. I reported the post and PM'd the three moderators and the one administrator several hours ago, but have not gotten any response.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do?

I don't mind deleting the post, since I can recreate it very easily.

Thanks.
I just looked at your list to see what it looks like and it looks OK. Apparently Adam got it fixed - at least he's the last person to have made an edit on it.
Old 01-23-19, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since my last viewing update I finished Maude. I just burned through those episodes to get them out of the way. I moved on to a marathon of That 70s Show, a favorite. The BRs of that one look excellent. My only complaint is there's no CC/SDH on the discs. My 7yo granddaughter has watched a few with me and really likes it. I've mentioned that her brother has watched some and just about hurts himself laughing. I have half of S8 left on that one and am saving it for the weekend.

I started S2 of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. after the days long That 70s Show marathon. I'm really enjoying this one. I've not seen it since the original airings in the 60s.
Old 01-23-19, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I'm still binging on Ancient Aliens, and am currently working my way through Season 8. Not sure if I will move on to Season 9, or save the rest and start with something new. I have access to tons of shows, through digital, streaming and physical media.
Old 01-24-19, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since I finished Season 8 of Ancient Aliens tonight, I decided for my next show, I would work on Lion Force Voltron for a few episodes. I had already finished all of the Sven episodes, so I started with ‘The Lion Has New Claws’, which was not only the episode where the Princess became the pilot of Blue Lion, but also introduced Nanny.
Old 01-25-19, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One of my favorite pre Lotor episodes of Voltron is 'The Stolen Lion'. I'm not exactly sure why, but I think it may have to do with that episode's robeast. Perhaps because I am a fan of snakes, or it may be because since the robeast talks, it shows intelligence. The robeast is a cobra monster.
Old 01-26-19, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Since I'm not the only one watching Power Rangers episodes for this challenge, I thought I'd share my latest blog entry commemorating the 25th anniversary of the show.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7815/...042fcdab11.jpg

I found a cache of press coverage of the show from 1993-95 and posted some of it in the piece:

Old 01-26-19, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Since I'm not the only one watching Power Rangers episodes for this challenge, I thought I'd share my latest blog entry commemorating the 25th anniversary of the show.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7815/...042fcdab11.jpg

I found a cache of press coverage of the show from 1993-95 and posted some of it in the piece:

Thanks for the link, Ash. I've considered watching Power Rangers this month myself. I also watched the first episode of Zyuranger on Shout TV earlier this month.
Old 01-27-19, 02:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone i got sidetracked and had forgotten about this challenge. Luckily, i use traktv to log my tv watching habits so i know what i've watched so far. So i'm in the process of getting caught up on my post in the List thread, but will take a bit.

I've been going through a lot of Unsolved Mysteries on Amazon and am up to S4 now. Some really creepy cases. Started watching Cheyenne and burned through S1 pretty quick. A really good western that still holds up.
Old 01-27-19, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Qrusher14242
Someone i got sidetracked and had forgotten about this challenge. Luckily, i use traktv to log my tv watching habits so i know what i've watched so far. So i'm in the process of getting caught up on my post in the List thread, but will take a bit.

I've been going through a lot of Unsolved Mysteries on Amazon and am up to S4 now. Some really creepy cases. Started watching Cheyenne and burned through S1 pretty quick. A really good western that still holds up.

Welcome, Qrusher. Still got a week left.
Old 01-27-19, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finished S2 of The Man from U.N.C.L.E.. It was quite enjoyable. Towards the end you can see some of the Batman influenced camp starting to appear but for the most part it's a slightly lighter version of S1.

I followed that with a long delayed viewing of Branded, a series I watched as a kid and purchased several years ago. I've watched S1 and about 1/3 of S2 so far. It's quite good. I need to look up why it got cancelled as I can see it running much longer than the 1 1/2 years it got.

While doing some general browsing at Amazon I stumbled across BR releases (imports) of the old Sci-Fi Channel mini-series adaptations of Dune and Children of Dune. That prompted me to pull my DVD copy of Dune to see how it looks. I'm happy to report it looks quite good with my BR player and HDTV - good enough that I don't feel the need to upgrade it. It's also quite enjoyable to revisit this series after several years.
Old 01-30-19, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Casual Friday on the Seaview or a feeble attempt to go undercover? (Not that they'd fool anyone).

Old 01-30-19, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Most of my content this month has been new (to me) stuff. Just finished up the first season of Gotham, which was enjoyable. I've also watched a couple of seasons of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Sometime in the last year or 2, I had purchased disc 1 of CYE: Season 6 in one of those paper sleeves at Dollar General. More recently, I saw the complete season 6 (it's a 2 disc set) for $1 at a Half Price Books outlet which I bought figuring I could "finish" it. When I pulled it out this month, I discovered it contained both discs, along with an extra disc 2. Strange coincidence.
Old 01-31-19, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, this is it. The last day of the Challenge. Did everyone enjoy themselves this month. Anyone find any new favorite shows? Last night I watched the first episode of Season 1 of Wild from the National Geographic Channel . I bought both it, and the Season Pass of Dynasties ​​​​​​ on Xbox a couple weeks ago. Myself, I’ll keep watching tv, as I don’t plan to hit the Academy Award Challenge all that hard.
Old 01-31-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It doesn’t count for this Challenge, but yesterday I dug out a DVD set that I got one year on my annual vacation to Oshkosh, an 18 DVD Aviation Anthology. Some things are tv shows, but not everything counts. The disc I started yesterday was classic aviation films.
Old 01-31-19, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No true "new favorite" as the only "new" show I watched was S1 of Andromeda. I did like it enough to order the UK Region Free Full Series BR.

I cemented my dislike of Maude, found That 70s Show to still be very funny (and my oldest grandson and middle granddaughter like it too), The Man from U.N.C.L.E. holds up at least for the first 2 seasons (I've not yet started the much more camp S3), and Branded is still a nice, although rather nondescript, mid-60s half hour western.

I don't bother with the Academy Awards challenge as I find the majority of the nominated movies to be not all that good with the winners being a 50/50 shot. I'd rather watch something else. So... I'll be continuing with the TVonDVD theme. I'm not sure just what I'll watch but it'll be mostly TV stuff... Oh... I will be watching Game of Thrones in preparation for the upcoming final season.
Old 01-31-19, 09:54 PM

For new shows, the best i've seen (only 4 eps) was Get Shorty. I watched S1 of Diagnosis Murder. It was ok, an odd comedy/medical(very little)/crime drama. I will watch more, its not the best show, but still watchable.

Also got through S1 of Cheyenne. I really enjoyed it, although im a sucker for westerns (Gunsmoke, Virginian, Wagon Train etc). I will watch just about any western once lol

Mostly i've been watching Knots Landing. Am almost finished with S9. It's a night time soap and doesn't pretend to be anything else. It's fun but ridiculous sometimes. I think it misses a character like JR, but i still really enjoy it.

I also don't usually do the Academy Awards challenge. It's mostly because i honestly watch very few movies. I almost exclusively watch tv shows. So i look forward to this challenge every year (although i was late to it this year, but i still got my post all updated with everything i've watched. Going to finish at around 200 hrs this challenge.
Old 01-31-19, 10:47 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Watched more media than normal this month, trying several new series. Unfortunately, I enjoyed them all.

Two of them I binged the entire seasons to date. Titans on the DC Universe service, is not like any incarnation of the team from the comics that I’ve read, but since I don’t need that on my adaptations, I was able to appreciate it for what it was, a kick butt superhero story with plenty of nods to the comic continuities. Westworld, while overly convulted especially in season two, was fun and ‘smart’ sci-fi. Both series have me eager for the next seasons.

Other new-to-me shows that I’ll happily watch again include the Canadian sit-com Corner Gas, the hilarious Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, and The Marvelous Mrs Maisel.
Old 02-01-19, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For this challenge, I went back and forth between classic American TV shows from the '50s and '60s (Death Valley Days, Dragnet, Perry Mason, The Untouchables, Star Trek, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, etc.) and Japanese Super Sentai superhero shows from the 1990s to 2010s, with side trips into Super Sentai's American spin-off, Power Rangers.

I made one great discovery that bridged the cultural divide. The final episode of Chojin Sentai Jetman featured the marriage of two of the lead characters from the Jetman team, Ryuu, the Red Ranger, and Kaori, the Pink Ranger. Five days after watching that episode, I watched an episode of Death Valley Days called "Yaller," in which the two lead characters seem headed for marriage at the end. In both cases, the actors playing those pairs got married in real life not long after they finished production--and both couples remain married today. For the Death Valley couple, Ray Boyle and Jan Shepard, their marriage has lasted 65 years so far! For the Jetman couple, Kotaro Tanaka and Rika Kishida, it'll be 27 years this spring. Don't you love when that happens?

Ray Boyle and Jan Shepard at the end of "Yaller" (Death Valley Days, 1954):

Kotaro Tanaka and Rika Kishida in the final episode of "Chojin Sentain Jetman" (1991):

I also watched an episode of Perry Mason which featured a guest star who would later marry one of the regular cast members (in 1964, three years after their episode together) and remain married till her death in 2014.

Karl Held and Sarah Marshall in "The Case of the Roving River" (Perry Mason):

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 02-01-19 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-01-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
Watched more media than normal this month, trying several new series. Unfortunately, I enjoyed them all.

Two of them I binged the entire seasons to date. Titans on the DC Universe service, is not like any incarnation of the team from the comics that I’ve read, but since I don’t need that on my adaptations, I was able to appreciate it for what it was, a kick butt superhero story with plenty of nods to the comic continuities. Westworld, while overly convulted especially in season two, was fun and ‘smart’ sci-fi. Both series have me eager for the next seasons.

Other new-to-me shows that I’ll happily watch again include the Canadian sit-com Corner Gas, the hilarious Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, and The Marvelous Mrs Maisel.
I discovered Corner Gas almost 3 years back. It's highly entertaining and funny! I need to make time to rewatch the series.
Old 02-01-19, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I discovered Corner Gas almost 3 years back. It's highly entertaining and funny! I need to make time to rewatch the series.
Corner Gas is one of my favorite comedies. I've rewatched it countless times. Underrated show