Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

TV on DVD* The Ninth Season Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

TV on DVD* The Ninth Season Discussion Thread

Old 12-27-18, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: TV on DVD* The Ninth Season Discussion Thread

A bit over a year ago I did a partial blind buy on Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda S1 right after they did a repackage rerelease of that season. At the time I thought they might continue with those but they didn't. I finished the first season this morning (I'd started a couple of weeks back) and enjoyed it so much that I ordered the complete series on BR from Amazon.uk. It was actually less expensive to do that than try to complete the series on DVD, even had they continued with those repackaged rereleases.

After finishing Andromeda I moved on to Mannix, S1. That's another I picked up quite some time back (almost 2 years ago) to see if I still like the show. I watched this one during its original airings. I'm currently on episode 3 and it's really bringing back memories. It looks like I'll be picking up the entire repackaged series on this one as I can get it for less than just the next 4 seasons. With 7 seasons to purchase otherwise it's quite a bargain. I may have my kids get this for me for Christmas since they handed me an empty box and said "We never know what to get you so when you come up with something let us know and we'll pay for it."
Old 12-27-18, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I haven’t watched it lately, but I remember enjoying Andromeda in its original airing. I stumbled on it one day, soon after Hercules: The Legendary Journeys finished. Kevin Sorbo drew me to check the show out, and I became a fan.
Old 12-27-18, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whoops! Totally missed the creation of this thread earlier in the month but it has been a busy one for me!

Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
Are you ready for tonight? Did anyone get any TV shows for Christmas that they plan to watch in this Challenge?
My one Christmas gift that was a DVD was Manor House, a PBS special that I plan on watching. I may also make it a marathon and watch that series. I own all but one or two at this point, Colonial House, Pioneer House, Texas Ranch House...

I'm only home tonight though, if the weather cooperates I'm off to visit with a friend until Sunday, so that's when I'll be able to start the challenge.
Old 12-27-18, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
I hope everyone had a great Christmas. Are you ready for tonight? Did anyone get any TV shows for Christmas that they plan to watch in this Challenge?
I totally missed your question until LJG answered!

No... I wasn't ready for the 26th start and had forgotten it started then. It was sometime this morning that I checked in and saw it'd started! The good thing is I was already watching TV content so snuck in by accident!

As for getting TV shows for Christmas... my wife and kids pretty much stopped purchasing for me a few years back as I tend to just buy what I want when I see a sale. And, in spite of my making a order-of-preference list, they would never get what I really wanted. We came to an agreement that I just purchase what I want and call it a present from them. That said, here's this year's haul:

Last of the Summer Wine S28 & S29 (aka Vintage 2007 and Vintage 2008)
Kingdom Come - S2
The Goldbergs - S3 & S4
The 100 - S5
The Andy Griffith Show - S1 BR upgrade but mainly for the original cast commercials reintegrated into the episodes.
Vikings S5V1
Big Bang Theory S11
Perry Mason S7V2, S8/V1, S8/V2
Saved by the Bell - Complete collection (Got mostly for Good Morning Miss Bliss the official S1 that's never been available before)
Lavern and Shirley S1 (I've never been too fond of this one and purchased mostly to show my grandson the open so he'll "get" the "Wayne's World" bit that mirrors it.)
Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In S4
Black Sails - Complete collection
Ash vs. Evil Dead - Complete collection
The Outer Limits - S2 BR
Combat! - S1 (the LA Entertainment release)
Death Valley Days - S14 (The Ronald Regan Years Collection - Year 2)
Farscape - Complete series plus The Peacekeeper Wars (BR upgrade)
Twin Peaks - The Entire Mystery (BR)
The Time Tunnel - Complete Collection (BR upgrade)

I've already watched Big Bang Theory S11, Combat! S1, The Time Tunnel, and have started The Outer Limits S2. Of the others I plan to watch some earlier seasons of Last of the Summer Wine, that Andy Griffith Show S1 upgrade, and possibly start Black Sails and/or Ash vs. Evil Dead. Most of the others I've either not made it up to the season I purchased or just want to wait.

I'm also planning to start To Catch a Thief, a set I purchased 6 years ago and just haven't made time for. I watched it in the original airings as a kid and am interested to see if it holds up. I think it will as there've been very few series I watched as a kid that I don't care for now.
Old 12-29-18, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
Edtheripper
I took your previous years table and used it in my list too. I hope that you don't mind...
Nope, not a problem at all!

I intended to start clearing my DVR and instead decided to start rewatching The Office. I've blown through the first 2 seasons already. I'd forgotten just how much I enjoyed that show.
Old 12-30-18, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I’ve been working my way through one of my Wild Kingdom sets lately. It brings back memories of my childhood when I would look forward to every Sunday afternoon to watch the show on a Canadian TV Channel that we got.
Old 12-31-18, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I always enjoyed Wild Kingdom. I don't know that I "looked forward" to watching it every week but it was a welcome diversion and I learned a few things (accidentally, of course).

I'm trying to work my way through a Maude Complete Series set I purchased very inexpensively. I still don't much care for it and a single season would have been enough but that full series was only a couple of $$ more than one season. I'd stop but I have this thing where I watch everything I purchase, like it or not.

To somewhat mitigate that I'm finally watching my BR upgrade of That '70s Show, one I never thought would last beyond 2 or 3 seasons since I liked it so much. The networks seem to have this penchant to cancel shows I really like.

I also dug out my still unwatched copy of The Man from U.N.C.L.E.. I've seen the show (watched it "religiously" during the original airings) but just haven't made time for the DVDs. Odd part is I was looking for my copy of It Takes a Thief but came up with this instead. Either will be good so I'm happy...

Last edited by BobO'Link; 12-31-18 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-31-18, 11:55 PM

On a whim I started Killing Eve on Hulu. I'm 4 episodes in and I'm hooked. Definitely deserving of all the hype it has gotten.
Old 01-01-19, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I started Batman: The Animated Series last night and the restoration is gorgeous. Definitely worth the upgrade.
Old 01-01-19, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lisadoris View Post
I started Batman: The Animated Series last night and the restoration is gorgeous. Definitely worth the upgrade.
I’m glad I own both that and Superman: The Animated Series . I was browsing Amazon a few weeks back, and it looked like both series were taken off of Prime. I may be wrong though. Anyways, I have a digital copy of Batman on Google Play, and I have Superman on DVD.
Old 01-03-19, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I recently renewed my subscription to Gaia, on Amazon Prime. That gives me good shows that I’ve always liked in the genre of metaphysics. One of my favorite shows on there is Beyond Belief With George Noory , since I am a big fan of Mr. Noory anyways.
Old 01-05-19, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For Christmas, I received a PBS special, Manor House. Before watching it though, I decided to watch the others I own in chronological order. This means I'm starting with Colonial House, which takes place in the 1600s. They aren't long series, about 8 hours or so each and I have 4 of them, so I think I can get through them this month baring any unforeseen circumstances. I am watching with someone else, so it's sort of based on their schedule too. I plan on watching other things too, I keep on saying I need to catch up on The Facts of Life but never really do so that might be on the list again this year. Also, I've been thinking of going through M*A*S*H again. One of my favorite all time shows...
Old 01-10-19, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The first series of what I won in the Comedy Challenge that I watched was Wild America. I just finished the second season of the show. That was always one of my favorite nature shows.
Old 01-10-19, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finished up Batman: The Animated Series last night and it looked great. I hadn't seen Subzero in so long that I didn't remember the story - it was pretty good. After two tries, Amazon finally delivered a Discovery blu-ray that wasn't damaged so I'll dig into that this weekend.
Old 01-10-19, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

On Sept. 30, 2018, I received my DVD box set of "Chojin Sentai Jetman" (1991-92), the first Japanese Super Sentai series released with English subs by Shout Factory that has never been adapted into a Power Rangers season. (It aired the year before "Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger," the first sentai season that was adapted into Mighty Morphin Power Rangers in 1993.) I finished watching Jetman yesterday. Easily one of the best Japanese superhero series ever made. I will write it up on my blog.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 01-11-19 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-10-19, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My BR of Andromeda came in yesterday. I may continue with that one but am leaning on saving it for July.

I've been in comedy mode watching more of That '70s Show and Maude. I'm loving revisiting That 70s Show and finding Maude just as bad as I remember from its original airings. I almost didn't purchase that one but the lure of a bargain pulled me in... I should have stuck with my original plan of purchasing a single season. I'm disliking it so much that I'm seriously considering a rare thing for me - abandoning watching the rest of the set (I have 2 seasons left).
Old 01-11-19, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sometimes just by browsing the cable or satellite guide one can find some good shows. I woke up early this morning and started looking at the Dish Guide. I came across the ranger episodes of Lassie​​​​​​, on FETV. I’ve always enjoyed those episodes, partially because I never saw many of those, so they were new.
Old 01-12-19, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great Moments in Crossover History:

So I'm watching an episode of "Dragnet 1969" devoted to "Internal Affairs" and in the course of investigating a case of alleged police brutality, Sgt. Friday (Jack Webb) and Officer Gannon (Harry Morgan) meet with the patrolmen who came on the scene as back-up to get their side of the story. And who should they be but Malloy and Reed (Martin Milner and Kent McCord) from "Adam-12," another Webb-produced series, then in its first season.

Old 01-13-19, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Today marks Robert Stack's centennial. A good time to pull out my box set of "The Untouchables." And to check out episodes of "Unsolved Mysteries" on Amazon Prime. I did in fact watch a segment this morning, the first time I've sampled that show, and the mystery turned out to have never been unsolved. They knew who the culprit was right away, it just took time to make their case strong enough to charge him and convict him. Weird.

Old 01-13-19, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Recently made it through all the extras/commentaries of Simpsons season 18.

Speaking of which, anyone have any idea how that sold? Are they going to continue to release them, or was that the last gasp?

After years of no releases, Fox finally relented and put out season 18 on DVD, but there's been no announcement for 19 yet, and no one seems to be clamoring for it either. (I seem to be the only person who loves Simpsons, old AND new and in between)
Old 01-14-19, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched an episode of “Dragnet 1969” called “Community Relations,” about the efforts of Sergeant Friday (Jack Webb) and Officer Gannon (Harry Morgan) to recruit more black officers to the Los Angeles Police Department, with the help of a black patrolman played by Don Marshall (“Land of the Giants”). They address a meeting of the East Los Angeles Graduates Union and who should be among the audience of potential recruits, but O.J. Simpson, in his very first acting role! Little did producer-director-star Webb know what Simpson would have in store for the LAPD some 25 years later.

Old 01-14-19, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's fascinating, Ash! One of my favorite things about watching older TV shows is seeing the familiar faces that pop up from time to time. I'm sure I've never discovered a more ironic appearance.

Ironically, I went through the first season of American Crime Story this month detailing the OJ case/trial. It was an interesting watch despite feeling like I was very familiar with the events of 25 years ago.
Old 01-14-19, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Early O.J. Simpson, damn that's funny.
Old 01-20-19, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yesterday I finished Frozen Planet​​​​​​, so I was looking for another show to binge on. I recently signed up for Hulu Live TV, and paid extra for the DVR. I added Ancient Aliens to my queue, and besides recording episodes, it also added the entire series to My List. I own up through Season 6, so I decided to work on Season 7. Since yesterday, I have watched nearly the entire season, with only a couple episodes left. Looks like I will be looking to binge another show soon.
Old 01-20-19, 02:49 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Finally checked out Westworld this Challenge. Wow!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.