Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Never buy a 2 disc DVD special edition DVD of a movie from a pawn shop

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-20-18, 04:00 PM

Most of the time it has never happened to me but whenever I buy a 2 disc DVD special edition of a movie from a pawn shop, later i find out i only end up with only just the movie disc or the bonus features dvd disc.

Previous owners of the 2 disc special edition DVDs must be doing this on purpose where they just dump off 2 disc dvd special editions at a pawn shop only that the previous owners hold on to the movie disc or theyre still holding onto the bonus features dvd disc.

Couple of hours ago I bought the 2 disc DVD special edition of District 9 and it was only 3.99.

No biggie but as I got home, i find out its only just the 2nd disc bonus features with no movie.

Not a big deal since i have seen a few single disc DVDs of District 9 at the Dollar General store which I can go buy any other time
Old 10-20-18, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Never buy a 2 disc DVD special edition DVD of a movie from a pawn shop

Is it that hard to you know, open the case and check before you leave?
Old 10-20-18, 04:47 PM

the DVD cases are taped up at the pawn shop, so no i i cant just open the DVD cases up, Joshy boy
Old 10-20-18, 04:58 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by urrutiap View Post
the DVD cases are taped up at the pawn shop, so no i i cant just open the DVD cases up, Joshy boy
You’re a real peach!
Old 10-20-18, 05:11 PM

Besides, Dollar General has a couple of the single disc DVDs of District 9 where they have the same bonus features as the disc 1 for the 2 disc special edition of District 9.

I can go to the dollar general store any time to go buy one
Old 10-20-18, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
You’re a real peach!
It's okay Trevor, I for one am glad to be warned about the vast conspiracy of people selling DVDs to pawn shops for .25 only to scam them out of the main move or bonus disc. It must be part of the gnomes left sock business plan.
Old 10-20-18, 05:12 PM

im just saying and giving some advice to people to warn them of when trying buy 2 disc DVD special editions of movies from a pawn shop. You either get lucky and have both discs in the DVD case or you end up with either only the movie disc or you end up with just the bonus features disc.
Old 10-20-18, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by urrutiap View Post
im just saying and giving some advice to people to warn them of when trying buy 2 disc DVD special editions of movies from a pawn shop. You either get lucky and have both discs in the DVD case or you end up with either only the movie disc or you end up with just the bonus features disc.
That pretty much sums up what can happen, but you forgot a few permutations:
1. No discs AT ALL in the case
2. Correct movie disc, but mismatched special features disc (from another two-disc special edition set)
3. Wrong movie disc, but correct special features disc
4. Neither disc has anything to do with the movie the case touts
5. Correct movie disc but fried egg in place of special features disc
6. Wrong movie disc AND CD single of Chumbawumba's "Tubthumping" in place of special features disc

I, like urrutiap, am just saying and giving advice to people that these things CAN HAPPEN. I'm not kidding. It's a thing.
Old 10-20-18, 05:41 PM

ive also seen two copies of the old 2 disc DVD set of Hellboy but I havent bough either copy since i am getting annoyed at the way 2 disc DVD special editions are being handled at pawn shops where previous owners either are deliberately keeping certain discs or something.

It doesnt happen to me all the time but there are times when I am lucky where one time I bought a 2 disc DVD special edition of a movie years ago where both discs were included in the DVD case
Old 10-22-18, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is a catalog title that is routeinly on sale for $5 new on Blu-ray. Why buy it used on DVD for $4?
Old 10-22-18, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So what's so hard about saying at checkout: "Before I make the purchase I need to verify that all discs are present, the correct one(s), and look OK."

If they say no then walk away.
Old 10-23-18, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
So what's so hard about saying at checkout: "Before I make the purchase I need to verify that all discs are present, the correct one(s), and look OK."

If they say no then walk away.
Exactly. I never buy secondhand sets (especially DVDs) that I cannot inspect. Not just for correct contents, but to also ensure the discs aren't all scratched up.

A reputable shop shouldn't mind you allowing them to open up the item themselves. I can understand if they seal the cases to prevent theft, but they have no good reason not to allow you to inspect the contents under their supervision.

I got "cheated" at a pawn shop once because a blu-ray combo pack didn't contain both discs (thankfully, it was just the DVD that was missing), but I chalk that up to being my own fault for not inspecting before I bought (this pawn shop doesn't seal the cases up, so you can easily check for yourself).
Old 10-23-18, 09:43 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've never bought a used DVD/BD that was taped shut by the seller. If they're anal enough to tape it shut, I'm anal enough to walk away.
Old 10-23-18, 01:00 PM

Sucks that you got burned.

Every time I've bought a DVD from a pawnshop/2nd hand store I've asked to open the case (if it was wrapped or taped) so I could make sure the disc wasn't scratched, and so far have never been told no. If the seller refused I would just walk away.
Old 10-23-18, 02:15 PM

regular single disc DVDs I buy all the time from the pawn shop where everything is intact.

Its just that sometimes its the 2 disc DVDs that I end up with either just the main movie disc, the bonus features disc or if Im lucky then both discs are intact.

Besides the 2 disc DVD of District 9, I can go and buy the single disc version from the Dollar General store where the single disc version has the same bonus features such as the 3 part documentary and commentary.
Old 10-23-18, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm one of those who will open up taped CD and DVD cases at thrift or pawn shops off the rack to check it out first before I decide to buy it. Just me.