The Eighth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2018

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Eighth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2018

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-18, 09:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Eighth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2018

Thanks David, GoldenWheels and Hamilton Books.

I use the challenges to help me select what to watch, and on at least a few nights per month to push me to watch one or two extra things. Winning a prize is a nice bonus.

I never got around to posting my favorites because I had a hard time deciding what to say about them.

Tillsammans and Terms of Endearment were the probably the best feature films, but were comedy dramas, and not necessarily the best comedies.

Astrópía is an Icelandic comedy about a superficial model who has to hide out because of her tangential involvement in a tabloid scandal, and gets a job in a comics store. She becomes the queen of the role playing game geeks whose lives revolve around the store. I began watching with low expectations, and found it very funny and charming.

Buster Keaton and Max Linder are always funny. Watching Buster destroy a car (reportedly a wedding gift from his in-laws, the Talmadges-the marriage quickly went sour) in The Blacksmith was fun, and The Electric House has loads of great gags, but The Frozen North was funny in places but was mostly an odd parody of the conventions of westerns. The Three Must-Get-Theres was a faithful parody of The Three Musketeers, well made but not as funny as Max Linder's contemporary comedies.

The other Icelandic "comedy" that I watched, Of Horses and Men, should be avoided by all.
Old 12-16-18, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: The Eighth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2018

Glad to have all the prize winners check in! PM me your selections when it’s convenient.
Old 12-16-18, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Glad to have all the prize winners check in! PM me your selections when it’s convenient.
I pmed Goldenwheels already. My selections weren't all comedy, but I did choose Season 3 of Batman, since I enjoyed Batgirl, and imdb lists it as a comedy.
Old 12-17-18, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I also sent my information/selections to GoldenWheels.

My comedy-related choices were the first season of The Big C, the PBS series The Pioneers of Television and the BD double feature that includes Those Darling Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies. All of these are blind "buys" that I'm anxious to check out.

Thanks again! Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-19-18, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Well, I applaud the winners for embracing the spirit of the challenge by defying authority and making up their own rules just like the best teen comedy would do.

ororama, your choice on how to send in your selections.
Old 12-31-18, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

My prize came today. Thanks again David, and Goldenwheels and Hamilton Books. I look forward to watching them for the TV Challenge.