Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Eighth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2018

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Eighth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2018

Old 11-09-18, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts
Re: The Eighth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2018

I watched Blockers, which was pretty meh, though it had a couple of moments. In general, I'm not a big fan of the raunchy genre, but I also rewatched Wedding Crashers. Years ago, I saw it in theaters via a free pass and was surprised by how much I liked it. I've seen it a number of times since, and while I knew the cast was loaded, it took me a minute to recognize a young Bradley Cooper. Still a good watch.
Old 11-09-18, 03:39 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Re: The Eighth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2018

Just watched The ‘Burbs for pretty sure the first time ever. Not sure how I missed it all these years. It was very good, but not quite stellar. Not sure how to describe it exactly, but a few performances or scenes should have been great, but were just a bit ‘off’.

Rewatched Dirty Rotten Scoundrels for the first time in years and laughed more than I expected.
Old 11-10-18, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm visiting my sister this weekend, and she picked up tickets to the high school's musical they are performing right now, Mamma Mia! She asked if we all wanted to watch the movie first this afternoon, and no one objected, so we did and I got a double dose of ABBA tonight. I do like that movie-the music really is catchy and it's fun to watch. Luckily for me, most of the student actors were good singers and I would even go as far as to say the student who played Sam in the play sang much, MUCH better than Pierce Brosnan did! lol!
Old 11-11-18, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by LJG765
I'm visiting my sister this weekend, and she picked up tickets to the high school's musical they are performing right now, Mamma Mia! She asked if we all wanted to watch the movie first this afternoon, and no one objected, so we did and I got a double dose of ABBA tonight. I do like that movie-the music really is catchy and it's fun to watch. Luckily for me, most of the student actors were good singers and I would even go as far as to say the student who played Sam in the play sang much, MUCH better than Pierce Brosnan did! lol!

The movie and the show are just fun, and it's hard to go wrong with ABBA music. I just watched the sequel, and it was pretty meh. Lily James was great casting, but a lot of the songs seemed like second-tier ABBA (granted, the original show hogged most of the big ones, and I admit I'm mostly familiar with the greatest hits). It wasn't a waste of time, but it's not something I'm likely to revisit.
Old 11-11-18, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777

The movie and the show are just fun, and it's hard to go wrong with ABBA music. I just watched the sequel, and it was pretty meh. Lily James was great casting, but a lot of the songs seemed like second-tier ABBA (granted, the original show hogged most of the big ones, and I admit I'm mostly familiar with the greatest hits). It wasn't a waste of time, but it's not something I'm likely to revisit.
I'd agree with most of this. Saw it in the theater when it came out and while I enjoyed it, it wasn't near as good as the original. Also, watching the original, they kind of changed a few things so they don't match up...movie making license, I guess! (The original implies that the grandma is dead, the pictures of the dads 20 years ago show different looks...)

I'll probably pick it up so I have both, but I'm very much waiting for Black Friday when the price goes down. I am disappointed that there isn't a version that comes with the music soundtrack like the first one did too though!
Old 11-11-18, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd agree with most of this. Saw it in the theater when it came out and while I enjoyed it, it wasn't near as good as the original. Also, watching the original, they kind of changed a few things so they don't match up...movie making license, I guess! (The original implies that the grandma is dead, the pictures of the dads 20 years ago show different looks...)

I'll probably pick it up so I have both, but I'm very much waiting for Black Friday when the price goes down. I am disappointed that there isn't a version that comes with the music soundtrack like the first one did too though!
I'm weaning myself off physical media so I bought it digitally (same $14.99 price for UHD or HD, so I'm covered if I ever upgrade my TV to 4K ), mostly to support the production of movie musicals.
Old 11-12-18, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 624 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
You’re my brother from another mother in many ways Bob, but not here. I’ll still hug you at Thanksgiving dinner though.
OK... I totally forgot to do this yesterday! Tell Jen "Happy belated anniversary" from your brother from another mother!
Old 11-12-18, 08:05 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
OK... I totally forgot to do this yesterday! Tell Jen "Happy belated anniversary" from your brother from another mother!
Aw, thanks Bob! Jen and I had a great day seeing family and had two good meals out. Went to the my old church Sunday morning, where we got married 7 years ago that day. Finished the day with another episode in our Monk marathon, a show that was actually a big part of our courtship. We were an hour or more away from each other when we met, probably a bit too far for both of us normally, but mutual love for that show was a huge draw for us continuing to date. If I ever meet Tony Shaloub I’ll have to thank him for the best 7 years (so far) of my life.
Old 11-12-18, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm weaning myself off physical media so I bought it digitally (same $14.99 price for UHD or HD, so I'm covered if I ever upgrade my TV to 4K ), mostly to support the production of movie musicals.
I totally support supporting musicals!

A bit off topic, sorry! But honestly, I'm not sure there's a great challenge for this one to fit in so I'm just going to mention it here... I watched Won't You Be My Neighbor?, tonight, the Mr. Rogers documentary. It's well worth the watch. Learned a lot about him I didn't before, realized that even with fact checking, I don't catch everything and both laughed a bit and cried a bit. I bet a lot of us grew up watching his show and it definitely brought back memories from watching it as a kid!
Old 11-13-18, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A bit off topic, sorry! But honestly, I'm not sure there's a great challenge for this one to fit in so I'm just going to mention it here... I watched Won't You Be My Neighbor?, tonight, the Mr. Rogers documentary. It's well worth the watch. Learned a lot about him I didn't before, realized that even with fact checking, I don't catch everything and both laughed a bit and cried a bit. I bet a lot of us grew up watching his show and it definitely brought back memories from watching it as a kid!
The June "Historical Challenge" is where! It encompasses Westerns, War, "Costume Dramas" (aka Period Pieces), and Documentaries.
Old 11-13-18, 12:52 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I totally support supporting musicals!

The June "Historical Challenge" is where! It encompasses Westerns, War, "Costume Dramas" (aka Period Pieces), and Documentaries.
And, just guessing here, but the Academy Awards challenge too.
Old 11-13-18, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Indy24LA
Not unless it receives a nomination for or wins an Academy Award. At this point it has no nominations for that one but several for other awards.
Old 11-13-18, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

June is the best match, but it might work for TV as well, considering the subject matter. Because it wasn't shown on TV, though, it'd need a lenient challenge host.

But I totally support any somewhat-relevant discussion in this thread!
Old 11-13-18, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

June is the best match, but it might work for TV as well, considering the subject matter. Because it wasn't shown on TV, though, it'd need a lenient challenge host.

I host the TV Challenge and would allow it.😀
Old 11-13-18, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I host the TV Challenge and would allow it.��
Well... ! I should have thought of that too! Of course it should qualify for the TV challenge! I'd think any documentary about a TV personality or TV itself would count whether or not it ever aired on TV.
Old 11-13-18, 02:39 PM

Not unless it receives a nomination for or wins an Academy Award. At this point it has no nominations for that one but several for other awards.
Imagine the backlash if it didn't get a nom... well at least in my household. My wife completely loved it. She has never said, "you need to buy that" until we watched it. And that brought a tear to my eye
Old 11-13-18, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

D'oh! I totally missed this one...I usually take June off since I host the next two.

Nope, at least right now it doesn't qualify.

Yay! It did make me laugh (and cry). So many good memories it brought up!

I host the TV Challenge and would allow it.😀
I'll have to remember to hype it for people then!

Imagine the backlash if it didn't get a nom... well at least in my household. My wife completely loved it. She has never said, "you need to buy that" until we watched it. And that brought a tear to my eye
I hope the documentary itself was the cause of at least half that tear! lol!
Old 11-13-18, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Breaking news: Golden Wheels has confirmed that Hamilton Books will once again be sponsoring the challenge! Three random winners will receive their choice of up to $20 of products at Hamilton. Anyone with a list that includes at least one title will be eligible, and we may offer future ways to enter as well. Thanks, Hamilton Books!

Old 11-14-18, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Thanks again Goldenwheels!

I keep beating their drum... You should at least go to their site and browse a bit. They have lots of closeout stuff - books, music, DVD, and BR - with some really good prices on most (a few items are similarly priced to Amazon and others but these guys are a small family owned and run business and can't always compete with those bigger guys). Amazon could take lessons from them on packaging. It's always excellent and protects well.

Example: I just purchased the 4 individual 15 Year Anniversary BR edition seasons of Farscape for $15 each (plus a modest shipping fee).
Old 11-14-18, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I keep beating their drum... You should at least go to their site and browse a bit. They have lots of closeout stuff - books, music, DVD, and BR - with some really good prices on most (a few items are similarly priced to Amazon and others but these guys are a small family owned and run business and can't always compete with those bigger guys). Amazon could take lessons from them on packaging. It's always excellent and protects well.

Example: I just purchased the 4 individual 15 Year Anniversary BR edition seasons of Farscape for $15 each (plus a modest shipping fee).
I’ve ordered from them before. I highly recommend them.
Old 11-14-18, 04:43 PM

I’ve ordered from them before. I highly recommend them.
I have as well, great people, site, and shopping experience! And now I get a groovy catalog.
Old 11-14-18, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yep, I've placed multiple orders there with no bad experiences.
Old 11-16-18, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks to HamiltonBooks and GoldenWheels! They are always very generous to the challenges...

Just saw a post from the Holiday challenge thread. That starts tomorrow, at Midnight, so there is quite a bit of crossover time. I've been super busy the last two weeks, but hopefully I can get some watches in now that I have some time off. Double credit helps, too!
Old 11-16-18, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thanks to HamiltonBooks and GoldenWheels! They are always very generous to the challenges...

Just saw a post from the Holiday challenge thread. That starts tomorrow, at Midnight, so there is quite a bit of crossover time. I've been super busy the last two weeks, but hopefully I can get some watches in now that I have some time off. Double credit helps, too!
Yep, I’ve been holding off on my holiday comedies so I can get double credit!
Old 11-17-18, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks to movies on PlayStation, I finally found a movie that I had only seen once, and never actually been able to find. I went to G-Fest, a kaiju convention one year, and there were all Japanese movies playing on the hotel TV Channel. That Saturday night, there was a movie called Big Man Japan. It's about a Japanese super hero, but also counts for this challenge, as it is a comedy at the same time.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.