DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   The 14th Annual DVDTalk Holiday Challenge (11/17 - 1/1) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/645520-14th-annual-dvdtalk-holiday-challenge-11-17-1-1-a.html)

The Monkees 10-14-18 10:14 PM

The 14th Annual DVDTalk Holiday Challenge (11/17 - 1/1)

2017: Bluelitespecial (205)
2016 Winner: mijorico (177)
2015 Winner: The Big Dave (288)
2014 Winner: Gobear (159)
2013 Winner: Cardsfan111 (289)
2012 Winner: Trevor (277)
2011 Winner: dfmaverick (276)
2010 Winner: HyperWeather (182)
2009 Winner: Trevor (287)
2008 Winner: Dimension X (250)
2007 Winner: Trevor (509)
2006 Winner: RobCA (128)
2005 Winner: FantasticVSDoom (35)

OFFICIAL RULES

-Movies, TV shows/specials, Short Films & Cartoons Count

-The movie or TV show DOES NOT need to be holiday oriented. It could simply take place during the holiday season (i.e. Batman Returns, Gremlins, Die Hard, etc.)

-Although the movie doesn't have to take place during the holiday season, a MAJORITY of the film HAS to take place during the holiday season. No movies with just one scene during the holiday season. If you're not sure, ASK!

-Any holiday from Thanksgiving through New Years Day may count

-A film can only be viewed once, UNLESS you watch it and then watched it again with a commentary

-There is no global goal, shoot for a personal goal. Whatever you want your goal to be go for it. For returning participants maybe your goal should be to beat a previous year's goal.

-Again, like past years there will be a THREE Wild Card option to include movies or TV shows you might watch during the holiday season that is not holiday oriented. My family used to watch Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory every Christmas. So anything is allowed, up to 3.

-Specials such as the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, New Years Rockin' Eve, etc. can count, but you MUST watch the entire special in order to count it.

-PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE number your lists! If you do not number your list it will not count towards the challenge

-It doesn't matter how you see the film, VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, Laserdisc, Theatrical release, it can be counted. Just have fun.

-The challenge will begin at midnight on Saturday November 17, 2018 and will end at dawn on Wednesday January 2, 2019

CHECKLIST

Spoiler:
--- Watch a Thanksgiving movie:
--- Watch a Thanksgiving TV episode:
--- Watch a Thanksgiving special:
--- Watch something animated about Thanksgiving:

--- Watch a Christmas movie:
--- Watch a Christmas TV episode:
--- Watch a Christmas special:
--- Watch something animated about Christmas:
--- Watch some version of A Christmas Carol:

--- Watch a New Year's movie.
--- Watch a New Year's TV episode.
--- Watch a New Year's special:
--- Watch something animated about New Year's:

--- Watch something Charlie Brown:
--- Watch something Garfield:
--- Watch an Oscar Winner:
--- Watch "It's a Wonderful Life", "A Christmas Story", National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" OR some version of "Miracle on 34th Street"

--- 1920s:
--- 1930s:
--- 1940s:
--- 1950s:
--- 1960s:
--- 1970s:
--- 1980s:
--- 1990s:
--- 2000s:
--- 2010s:
--- Watch a Film From the Year You Were Born:

--- Watch the MST3K version of a film/show.
--- Watch a film/show and its remake:
--- Watch a film/show based on or turned into a video game. -
--- Watch a film/show based on a novel:
--- Watch a silent film.
--- Watch a film/show with commentary.
--- Watch a film/show that takes place in space.
--- Watch a film/show that takes place on or under the sea.

Watch a film/show for each rating:
--- G:
--- PG:
--- PG-13:
--- R:
--- Unrated:

PLEASE KEEP THE DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Enjoy the Horror Movie Challenge and I Look Forward to All Participants!

The Monkees 10-14-18 10:15 PM

Re: The 14th Annual DVDTalk Holiday Challenge (11/17 - 1/1)

This year the challenge will officially begin on the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Last year I did the same thing, but the official start date was actually that Sunday, so this year it will officially be the Saturday beforehand.

shadokitty 10-15-18 12:51 AM

Can't wait. Already looking forward to Christmas music.

LJG765 10-16-18 07:32 PM

Looking forward to the challenge starting! I bought a couple .99 cent movies this summer on Prime for Christmas that I've been saving...

Bluelitespecial 10-18-18 08:57 AM

I can finally say I won a challenge after last year. I'm in even if I don't get to watch a ton of stuff. I think Hallmark's Countdown to Christmas starts a week from this Saturday.

The Monkees 10-20-18 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial (Post 13427827)
I can finally say I won a challenge after last year. I'm in even if I don't get to watch a ton of stuff. I think Hallmark's Countdown to Christmas starts a week from this Saturday.

I have still yet to win my own challenge. Both last year and the year before I came in 2nd :/

shadokitty 11-01-18 10:06 AM

Now that it is November, I am already starting to think of what I can watch. I love this Challenge.

BobO'Link 11-01-18 12:38 PM

I really enjoy this one in spite of not hitting it hard. Maybe that's why I enjoy it so much... I tend to focus on my Holiday Regulars and not try to binge or add new titles to the stacks. That said, I *do* have a few unopened titles I picked up last year but never managed to get watched. They'll go at the top of the stack this year.

Indy24LA 11-01-18 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 13436370)
I really enjoy this one in spite of not hitting it hard. Maybe that's why I enjoy it so much... I tend to focus on my Holiday Regulars and not try to binge or add new titles to the stacks. That said, I *do* have a few unopened titles I picked up last year but never managed to get watched. They'll go at the top of the stack this year.

I am pretty similar, I watch the same list every year, but try to mix in some new stuff. I will say my list grows by 1 or 2 each year though, last year added Christmas in Connecticut.

LJG765 11-01-18 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 13436370)

I tend to watch a lot of new films (or at least, new to me), especially Hallmark movies. They're my no-so-secret secret favorite. I do watch a lot of favorites every year as well, though I do tend to rotate some and only watch every other year.

I kind of feel like a lot of holiday films are seeped in tradition-you get that little feeling of warmth or happiness when do something over and over again. Maybe it's who you first watched it with or reminds you of a great holiday when you got THE toy of the year (I totally got the Gizmo in the Barbie corvette that year and it was awesome).

jholmes 11-02-18 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by LJG765 (Post 13436700)
I tend to watch a lot of new films (or at least, new to me), especially Hallmark movies. They're my no-so-secret secret favorite. I do watch a lot of favorites every year as well, though I do tend to rotate some and only watch every other year.

Me too. I love to binge on Hallmark holiday movies. And they certainly put out enough of them each year to keep it fresh.

Looking forward to this challenge!

shadokitty 11-05-18 05:13 AM

It doesn't affect me much, as it's not the main radio station I listen to, but I consider it officially the Holiday Season now. I was watching the local news this morning, and at 5:30 AM , a local radio station switched over to their 24 7 Christmas music. Now I'm going to consider it fair game when I listen to Spotify.

Indy24LA 11-05-18 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by shadokitty (Post 13438131)
It doesn't affect me much, as it's not the main radio station I listen to, but I consider it officially the Holiday Season now. I was watching the local news this morning, and at 5:30 AM , a local radio station switched over to their 24 7 Christmas music. Now I'm going to consider it fair game when I listen to Spotify.

I haven't listened to the radio since I got my first iPod sometime in the 2000s, so it's nice to know I can break out the Xmas playlist :)

BobO'Link 11-05-18 02:36 PM

I sing in my church's annual "Living Christmas Tree" program. We started practicing a month ago... my oldest granddaughters sing and/or play bells in the children's choir for that program. They've been "begging" since it started for me to listen to the program music in the car. I told them "No... not until at least November. I'm not ready for Christmas full time yet!" :lol:

By the actual time for the performances (we do it 3 times) I'm so tired of that music I'm itching to break out my "normal" Christmas music. I play the pop 50s/50s stuff for them and the classical choral stuff for me. The closest to "modern" Christmas music I can tolerate is usually orchestral or things like "The Jethro Tull Christmas Album" or "A Merry Axemass."

I was a bit excited when I saw Clapton did a Christmas album this year... then I sampled it. There's not a single arrangement or song I like. That's typical for me with many holiday albums recorded after ~1960.

BobO'Link 11-05-18 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Indy24LA (Post 13438186)
I haven't listened to the radio since I got my first iPod sometime in the 2000s, so it's nice to know I can break out the Xmas playlist :)

I've not actively "listened to the radio" since ~1975. At work I currently stream a rock station out of Memphis. They play *zero* holiday music, which is OK by me (see above). Any other time I listen to music of *any* type it's stuff I've programmed myself.

LJG765 11-05-18 07:13 PM

I substitute teach in my local school district. One of the high schools plays music shorts between every period. Last Friday, Nov. 2, they started playing Christmas music. I was not ready! I'm a purist-let's wait until Thanksgiving at least for it to start!

My love for Christmas music waxes and wains depending on the year. I usually do add that playlist back into my iPod and listen to them until after Christmas to and from work, but hate when that's all you hear, no matter where you go! At least in my car, I can switch songs!

davidh777 11-05-18 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 13438482)
I sing in my church's annual "Living Christmas Tree" program. We started practicing a month ago... my oldest granddaughters sing and/or play bells in the children's choir for that program. They've been "begging" since it started for me to listen to the program music in the car. I told them "No... not until at least November. I'm not ready for Christmas full time yet!" :lol:

By the actual time for the performances (we do it 3 times) I'm so tired of that music I'm itching to break out my "normal" Christmas music. I play the pop 50s/50s stuff for them and the classical choral stuff for me. The closest to "modern" Christmas music I can tolerate is usually orchestral or things like "The Jethro Tull Christmas Album" or "A Merry Axemass."

I was a bit excited when I saw Clapton did a Christmas album this year... then I sampled it. There's not a single arrangement or song I like. That's typical for me with many holiday albums recorded after ~1960.

Heck, my choirs have been rehearsing holiday music since September. :lol: Mixes of pop and more classical selections, and I like the variety.

SterlingBen 11-05-18 07:54 PM

I inherited a large box of Christmas VHS tapes this year so I think I am going to give this challenge a go.

Trevor 11-05-18 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen (Post 13438645)
I inherited a large box of Christmas VHS tapes this year so I think I am going to give this challenge a go.

Welcome aboard Alan!

Bluelitespecial 11-11-18 07:53 PM

So when will the list thread go up?

The Monkees 11-11-18 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial (Post 13442308)
So when will the list thread go up?

Right now ;)

Link

Bluelitespecial 11-11-18 08:32 PM

I don't know how much I'll watch this year, and I've got to find some new stuff as well. I feel like I watch the same movies and shows every year. I hope more people will still participate.

Bluelitespecial 11-16-18 05:11 PM

I didn't realize we were starting tomorrow.

MysterioMan007 11-16-18 06:00 PM

It's been a long time since I've watched a bunch of Christmas stuff. I epically failed at last year's challenge, but I'm going to try harder this year. I'm more in the Christmas spirit this than last....

LJG765 11-16-18 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial (Post 13445434)
I didn't realize we were starting tomorrow.

Whoa, neither did I! Well, I have a feeling that my comedy challenge numbers will go up starting tomorrow...