Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 14th Annual DVDTalk Holiday Challenge (11/17 - 1/1)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 14th Annual DVDTalk Holiday Challenge (11/17 - 1/1)

Old 11-24-18, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The 14th Annual DVDTalk Holiday Challenge (11/17 - 1/1)

For anyone who doesn't have cable, Ion Television's Christmas movie schedule starts tomorrow.
https://iontelevision.com/holiday-movies#
Old 11-24-18, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LJG765 View Post
I don't know, while I agree Roseanne had good Halloween episodes, I was always partial to the Thanksgiving ones. 1) Shelley Winters. 2) reminds me of my own family holidays.
I've never been a Shelley Winters fan so that contributes to me not liking those episodes as much. I find her more grating/annoying than even Roseanne.

I looked at post #1 for the wikipedia lists of Christmas and Thanksgiving TV episodes and found they're not there. So... here they are:

Wikipedia list of Christmas TV episodes (all genres).

Wikipedia list of Thanksgiving TV episodes.

And the "Holiday Themed Films" page. This one has 'em all - Christmas, New Year's, Valentine's Day, Hanukkah, basically if a holiday has had a film featuring/around the holiday it's listed here.
Old 11-24-18, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Very good list, Bob. I would just like to add the second season episode of Knight Rider, Silent Knight. I forget the name, but there was a second Christmas episode of Batman: TAS, in the fourth season. It basically was about Harley and Poison Ivy hypnotizing Bruce Wayne and going on a shopping spree.
Old 11-25-18, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I found a Christmas Episode of Batman the Animated Series called "Christmas with the Joker". Its on The Killing Joke bluray.
Old 11-25-18, 09:50 AM

We've had family visiting for Thanksgiving, so my movie watching has been severely curtained for the past 4 days. But I did convince everyone to watch the new Netflix "The Christmas Chronicles" with Kurt Russell as Santa and we all loved it. Highly recommended,
Old 11-25-18, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Haven't been watching a lot this weekend because I've been watching all the movies I got on Black Friday. I'm watching First Blood and just realized it takes place during Christmas.
Old 11-26-18, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I feel almost disgustingly wholesome after watching my last movie

Old 11-28-18, 08:36 AM

I watched The Sure Thing for the comedy challenge, haven't seen it since the 80's, and what do you know, it takes place during Xmas.
Old 12-01-18, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched The Man Who Invented Christmas this afternoon. It was good enough but nothing noteworthy. It tries hard but just doesn't feel involving enough. I can't quite put my finger on just why it feels "off" a bit. Still... it's worth a viewing.

Amazon has the DVD for $4 right now (add on but free shipping w/Prime). I'm considering the purchase just because it's a Christmas movie and very inexpensive... but I just don't know how often I might find myself watching it again.
Old 12-01-18, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
I watched The Man Who Invented Christmas this afternoon. It was good enough but nothing noteworthy. It tries hard but just doesn't feel involving enough. I can't quite put my finger on just why it feels "off" a bit. Still... it's worth a viewing.
I watched this a bit ago for the first time myself. Kind of felt like they were doing too much nudge nudge, wink wink, see this is where this line came from! type of thing.

I doubt I'd watch it again but if you're a huge Christmas Carol fan, it's worth the watch at least once and for $4, it's not too expensive for a blind buy.
Old 12-01-18, 08:08 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Amazon has the DVD for $4 right now (add on but free shipping w/Prime). I'm considering the purchase just because it's a Christmas movie and very inexpensive... but I just don't know how often I might find myself watching it again.
I watched this a bit ago for the first time myself. Kind of felt like they were doing too much nudge nudge, wink wink, see this is where this line came from! type of thing.

I doubt I'd watch it again but if you're a huge Christmas Carol fan, it's worth the watch at least once and for $4, it's not too expensive for a blind buy.
I saw it in the theater (last year was it?) and loved it, but Iím a sucker for that sort of meta stuff. Still havenít bought it, so maybe I didnít love it that much....
Old 12-01-18, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think that might be my problem with the movie. I was more looking for those little bits than giving it real attention. I also found myself wondering how much of the movie was based on his actual life or all just another fabricated story to advance the bit about his writing the book.
I'd recommend it even if you're not a huge A Christmas Carol fan. Right now it's on back-order (says in stock on Dec. 11) so I went ahead and ordered a copy. I have a few days to decide whether or not to keep the order.
Old 12-03-18, 05:23 PM

Old 12-03-18, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been busier than usual this month for the challenge, but been enjoying watching Hallmark Channel movies. I've just been leaving the channel on and when I get a chance, watching the new movies.

I'm a sucker for cheesy, feel-good Christmas movies. I'm also enjoying the change to the formula for this year! They used to have some bit of drama about 20-25 minutes before the end of the movie, then solve it really quickly, then feel good last 5-10 minutes resolution. Now, that big drama seems to have been left out and I'm okay with that. Not that there isn't something that needs to be fixed in them, because the movies do have some conflict that needs to be resolved, but I really didn't enjoy the usual drama they added in at the last minute. It was usually an ex-girlfriend/boyfriend causing trouble or some overly jealous co-worker. I have enough llama-dramas in my life without seeing it in my feel good movies! It's a nice break from real life; conflict resolution all wrapped up in a bow.

Anyone else feel that way about Hallmark movies?
Old 12-04-18, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't have cable but I enjoy plenty of Hallmark movies through dvd and youtube. My favorites are the Nine Lives of Christmas and Signed Sealed and Delivered for Christmas. I get my made for tv movie fix through the Ion Network.
Old 12-04-18, 07:07 PM

Old 12-05-18, 07:35 AM

Thanks, Dark God, for the Christmas Horror focus. I will be checking out your vids since I'm always looking for new Christmas horror. There are a few new ones coming out this year.

I just got back from a week-long trip for a con, so I have some catching up to do. Did manage to watch a few movies on the plane. I really loved Holiday Engagement (now on Netflix).
Old 12-05-18, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Finally got around to watching P2, which is pretty much what you'd expect for a woman-in-peril movie. For those on Vudu, you can watch it free today and get a $2 credit. Unfortunately I had already rented it.
Old 12-05-18, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If Anna and the Apocalypse is playing near you, go see it. It's a British teen zombie musical set at Christmas which has the same feel as the Buffy musical episode, except that ANNA is much gorier and funnier. I really enjoyed it, and will definitely be picking up the Blu-Ray.

Last edited by Gobear; 12-05-18 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-05-18, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm going to see Anna and the Apocalypse when it opens here next week. I'm watching the first Christmas Episode of Married with Children, I had to laugh as it had a Viewer Discretion is Advised intro on it.
Old 12-06-18, 08:34 AM

I've been watching tons of Hallmark and I made my own Hallmark movie checklist. Thought I'd share it in case anyone else is interested. Feel free to add on! It looks like a lot, but honestly, most of their new Christmas romances check off ALL the Christmas trope boxes in a single movie.

HALLMARK TROPES:

Genre:
o Romantic Comedy
o Family Drama
o Hallmark Hall of Fame

Hallmark by Decade:
o 60’s
o 70’s
o 80’s
o 90’s
o 00’s
o 10’s

Overall Plot:
o Big city girl falls in love with small town
o Workaholic lead character is reminded of meaning of life
o Lead character “stopped believing in Christmas” and regains belief
o Hint of magic in the story (angel, magic ornament etc)
o Plot involves the “real” Santa or North Pole
o Small business in peril
o Fake/pretend boyfriend/girlfriend
o Enemies or rivals to lovers
o Lead characters are forced to work together/compete
o One of the leads has young kids (under 12)
o Son/daughter tries to set up mom/dad
o One of the leads decides to join the family business after all

Cast:
o Lead guy who is funny/a goof
o Lead girl who is perky
o Lead character is a child or teen (family drama)
o One of the leads is up for promotion
o One of the leads is a widow/widower
o One of the leads was a foster kid/orphan
o Unpleasant parent puts too much pressure on one of the leads
o Side character guest star who used to be huge
o Side character/bff is a Person of Color
o Funny/wacky bff
o Old child actor in the cast
o Stars Lacey Chambert, Danica McKellar, Alicia Witt, Lori Loughlin, or Candace Cameron
o Stars Dean Cain, Luke MacFarlane, James Van Der Beek, Trevor Donovan, or Marc Blucas
o Family dog

Christmas Tropes:
o Snowball fight
o Mistletoe kiss
o Buy a Christmas tree
o Decorate a Christmas tree
o Making Christmas cookies
o Making Gingerbread house
o Ice Skating
o Making snow angels
o Building a snow man
o Glamorous holiday party
o Store Santa/taking pics with Santa
o One of the leads dresses as Santa
o Sleigh ride
o Gift shopping (in an actual store)
o Caroling
o Character has a holiday name
o Soup kitchen or charity event the leads participate in
o One of the leads is inappropriately dressed for the weather

Romance Tropes:
o Lead girl is engaged to someone else
o Workaholic or money-focused current boyfriend/fiancť
o The girl’s current boyfriend “hates Christmas”
o Slip/fall that leads to spontaneous touching
o One MC shows the other how to do something that leads to spontaneous touching
o Snowed in together
o Interrupted first kiss
o Lead girl dressed up all fancy and the new love interest stares in awe
o New love interest sees the other lead kiss or hug old love interest and gets feelings hurt
o There’s a Big Lie or Secret that will eventually blow up in someone’s face
o Engagement ring/Proposal
o Wedding dress
o The first kiss is the last scene
Old 12-06-18, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thatís a great list Iím going to print it out and see if I can complete it. I can only complete it for movie in the 00ís and 10ís. Also I would call hallmark a generalized term as it applies to plenty of made for tv Christmas movies.
Old 12-06-18, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
That’s a great list I’m going to print it out and see if I can complete it. I can only complete it for movie in the 00’s and 10’s. Also I would call hallmark a generalized term as it applies to plenty of made for tv Christmas movies.
Yeah, true. There are some Netflix and Lifetime knock-offs that are good.

I checked and Hallmark Hall of Fame has been on TV since the 50's. But I'm not sure how many Christmas movies were made that are available today from the earlier decades -- 50's, 60's, and 70's. I'll have to do more research.

ETA: I really like watching the older Hallmark Hall Of Fame family dramas too. An Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving (2008) and An Old-Fashioned Christmas (2010) were both good. Also A Season for Miracles (1999), Silent Night (2002). If anyone knows of any in the 70's and 80's, let me know.

Last edited by jholmes; 12-06-18 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-06-18, 07:12 PM

Watched this last night and liked it. Reminded me a little of Shakespeare in Love, which I adore.
Old 12-08-18, 10:03 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I just watched the worst holiday “film” in the history of holiday films. It’s made by people who appear to be The Asylum of family animation fare. A Frozen Christmas has a few short framing sequences of Santa preparing for Christmas with his helpers deciding to share stories. Then 95% of the “movie” is a mediocre narrator telling generic holiday stories while wintery imagery shows on the screen. Yes, this “film” is basically a screensaver. Some of the images are nice, but then you get something like two minutes of candy canes from some generic video app dancing in the screen. To flesh out the running time there is a song or two at the end, and long moments where you’ll swear your TV went into actual screensaver mode. If I was catholic, watching this film would satisfy my penance for the year.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.