Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Plastic that sticks to the spine of DVD/Blu-rays plus some other unrelated questions

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Plastic that sticks to the spine of DVD/Blu-rays plus some other unrelated questions

Old 10-06-18, 05:57 AM

Hello everybody,

-Over time I have become more and more serious about my DVD/Blu-ray collection. For example I used to not care in the least about lenticular art covers, nice art work, steelbooks, etc. but now I kind of like them and before I know it I will love them, lol. What has happened to me? Have I become a movie nerd?
Can anyone else relate?

-Now that I have gotten more serious about my DVDs and Blu-ray films/tv shows I just received a rather badly damaged DVD case of a television series I love today from Amazon. This is the first time I received a damaged DVD case from Amazon. Does a broken case justify asking for a replacement from amazon? To me that badly damaged case was an instant disappointment. The DVDs are fine though, that’s why I’m worried about exchanging it out for a new one because I heard of a guy who made too many returns to Amazon and they banned him from the website, I don’t want that happening to me as well.The DVD case is broken on the bottom and it has jagged edges , I almost cut myself with it in fact. It’s also really scratched up inside the DVD case ( holds 3 DVDs. It’s not one of those black dvd cases this is the clear kind). It just doesn’t look well with my other DVDs. I consider the case as part of the product so I might return. Should I return?

- How do you get rid of the last remaining shrink wrap paper that sticks to the spine of a DVD or blu-ray case? I always have pieces of the shrink wrap stuck to the spine and I can’t get it off.

From what I wrote above do I sound really picky?

Thanks

Last edited by sparkles; 10-06-18 at 06:02 AM.
Old 10-06-18, 07:18 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Plastic that sticks to the spine of DVD/Blu-rays plus some other unrelated questi

A broken case definitely warrants a return, no matter where it came from (if you feel like messing with it):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/orc/returns/homepage.html/ref=orc_surl_ret_hp?fg=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/orc/returns/homepage.html/ref=orc_surl_ret_hp?fg=1

If the missing pieces were inside the packaging, it probably happened during shipping. No missing pieces inside the packaging, Amazon most likely shipped it broken.

Not much you can do about plastic sticking to the spine but peel as much off as you can. If you're really picky you can get a magnifying glass and a pair of tweezers...
Old 10-06-18, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Plastic that sticks to the spine of DVD/Blu-rays plus some other unrelated questi

Originally Posted by sparkles View Post

-Now that I have gotten more serious about my DVDs and Blu-ray films/tv shows I just received a rather badly damaged DVD case of a television series I love today from Amazon. This is the first time I received a damaged DVD case from Amazon. Does a broken case justify asking for a replacement from amazon? To me that badly damaged case was an instant disappointment. The DVDs are fine though, that’s why I’m worried about exchanging it out for a new one because I heard of a guy who made too many returns to Amazon and they banned him from the website, I don’t want that happening to me as well.The DVD case is broken on the bottom and it has jagged edges , I almost cut myself with it in fact. It’s also really scratched up inside the DVD case ( holds 3 DVDs. It’s not one of those black dvd cases this is the clear kind). It just doesn’t look well with my other DVDs. I consider the case as part of the product so I might return. Should I return?
I’d probably return it. I don’t think Amazon will ban you unless you do a lot of returns. Nobody really knows what triggers the ban, though, if it’s the number of returns, the frequency, the dollar amount, or some kind of algorithm that uses all three.

- How do you get rid of the last remaining shrink wrap paper that sticks to the spine of a DVD or blu-ray case? I always have pieces of the shrink wrap stuck to the spine and I can’t get it off.
That happens because the wrap is heat sealed on a seam across the spine and melts into the case. Sometimes tweezers will get it off, but the only surefire solution is to get a new case and swap it out.
Old 10-06-18, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For whatever reason it seems like Fox titles have this issue a lot. Like more than most of the other major studio releases. I try and peel away some of the excess but a lot of it just doesnít like to come off. Iím not too OCD about it but will replace the case if I happen to have a spare.
Old 10-06-18, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Iíd probably return it. I donít think Amazon will ban you unless you do a lot of returns. Nobody really knows what triggers the ban, though, if itís the number of returns, the frequency, the dollar amount, or some kind of algorithm that uses all three
Thatís interesting.

I will return this one...but I better watch my step because I think I returned about 10 things ( over the course of like 5 years though ). Still they ship in really bad packaging, at least for me. For example they will put a book in tons and tons of paper wrapping paper and a DVD set inside a thin case of bubble wrap or a box without wrapping paper/ bubble wrap..itís like duh of course itís gonna break, come on Amazon! Itís so easy to figure this out, how do they screw up packaging. Iím not a genius but I know how to wrap up delicate things. I will most likely buy DVDs and blu-rays from a different company and just buy books at Amazon.

Anyway, thanks for advice everyone.
Old 10-11-18, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Reason why I still prefer to buy at actual stores.
Old 10-11-18, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sparkles View Post
Thatís interesting.

I will return this one...but I better watch my step because I think I returned about 10 things ( over the course of like 5 years though ). Still they ship in really bad packaging, at least for me. For example they will put a book in tons and tons of paper wrapping paper and a DVD set inside a thin case of bubble wrap or a box without wrapping paper/ bubble wrap..itís like duh of course itís gonna break, come on Amazon! Itís so easy to figure this out, how do they screw up packaging. Iím not a genius but I know how to wrap up delicate things. I will most likely buy DVDs and blu-rays from a different company and just buy books at Amazon.

Anyway, thanks for advice everyone.
Ten returns over five years isn't bad. Amazon calculates how valuable you are as a customer when factoring in returns.

If you order dozens of items a year, don't sweat returning something.