Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 11-07-18, 10:45 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

My list is complete. I completed the checklist and the theme nights but did not finish the subsets and did not hit 100 movies. Next year I will be in the 10 year club! I could not find all of the subset films and I was easily on pace to break 100 movies but a hospitalization in the family on the 17th (still ongoing today) slowed me down and I ended up at 83. Here's to better health and 100 movies again next year!
Old 11-07-18, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

My list is completed on the list thread + answered the questions Chad asked on the top of my list there as well for stats (will check back if need to give an address up until deadline for that but please take me out of the running if there is no english subtitles or closed captioning regarding potential dvd prizes as I rely heavily on them with my hearing loss & it could go to someone that would not need them if so). Thanks again to all involved in making this challenge what it is and the prize contributors as well. Hope everyone has a great year until the next horror challenge! 😎
Old 11-07-18, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
At the top? Crap. I put everything at the bottom. I’ll have to fix that when I can get to a computer. Too much text to shift on a tiny iPhone. Lol
Done. List is complete.
Old 11-07-18, 02:21 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Just put my stats at the top as well.
Old 11-07-18, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Got a better chance to look through the lists since downtime at the office, there's some amazing ones out there. I voted for SurfinHawk as best list but think Jholmes and SterlingBen came close. Congratulations to everyone who made 100 or broke their personal goals!

I feel like tarfirmmer are my arch-nemesis because his viewing count is always higher than mine, always (not like Trevor, mightsparks, or MysterioMan who rack up bogglingly big numbers one year but not others). Curses but well done!

I especially enjoyed the lists with more elaborate mini-reviews [this seems like a lot but it’s only 22 out of 105 lists posts so ~21% of people with mini-reviews]: mallratcal, Gobear, Cardsfan111, SterlingBen (especially with the beer reviews & pics), mightysparks, jholmes (epic graphic review pages), numbercruncher, Dimension X (b-movie tv), Joe29, MrStayPuft, Indy24LA, idontKNOWmargo, omike, mrpeavey, SnapDawg, indiephantom, pagefrance, mrcellophane, rbrown298 (we both suffered through Franco’s Succubus, ugh), brainee, pacaway, nondiatonic

I loved jholmes graphic review pages which could rival SurfinHawk’s. PCBreakDown, tarfirmmer, and thecrazydude using movie quotes is a great touch.

Mrcellophane seemed to dig deepest into horror smuck with a lot of film I hadn’t heard of before so I enjoyed reading about those.

Mondo Kane's end of year post marks the true end of the challenge, epic stuff from him and I love the drive-in totals. 7 breasts? 1 dead baboon? What is that guy watching?

Alyxstarr's list is well formatted (but I miss the bloody hand prints this year), and I appreciate the subset films - epic contribution. Tarfirmmer and SterlingBen had good formatting too.

I wrote down some cool looking new to me films to check out from the lists:
Spoiler:
Rifftracks: Hideous Sun Demon (mallratcal), Sleepstalker: The Sandman's Last Rites (GoBear, Prime), Luna (tarfirmer), She (1965, shellebelle), Monolith Monsters (arw6040), The Bone Yard (SterlingBen), Krysar (mightysparks), Chasing Sleep (mightysparks), Viy (jholmes), Exte: Hair Extensions (Dimension X, seems nicely weird), Turbo Kid (PCBreakdown), Haunting of Hill House (Irend, tv show), Kill List (omike), Girl in Room 2A (omike), 14 Camera (thecrazydude, also need to see 13 Cameras), The Evil (pagefrance), The Screaming Woman (mrcellophane, Youtube), The Man Who Laughs (TerrorTerror), The Man Who Could Not Hang (nondiatonic, always need 20s films for checklist)

Last edited by Undeadcow; 11-07-18 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-07-18, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello! Yes, it certainly pays to keep up with the conversation and not let the list overwhelm. But I did enjoy my October, will require some forethought next year. My list is done, save for some editorial afterthoughts... I did complete the checklist but no time today to post it. I'm going to post it if only for my own sanity, tomorrow if that's okay.
Old 11-07-18, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 623 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Got a better chance to look through the lists since downtime at the office, there's some amazing ones out there. I voted for SurfinHawk as best list but think Jholmes and SterlingBen came close. Congratulations to everyone who made 100 or broke their personal goals!

I feel like tarfirmmer are my arch-nemesis because his viewing count is always higher than mine, always (not like Trevor, mightsparks, or MysterioMan who rack up bogglingly big numbers one year but not others). Curses but well done!

I especially enjoyed the lists with more elaborate mini-reviews [this seems like a lot but it’s only 22 out of 105 lists posts so ~21% of people with mini-reviews]: mallratcal, Gobear, Cardsfan111, SterlingBen (especially with the beer reviews & pics), mightysparks, jholmes (epic graphic review pages), numbercruncher, Dimension X (b-movie tv), Joe29, MrStayPuft, Indy24LA, idontKNOWmargo, omike, mrpeavey, SnapDawg, indiephantom, pagefrance, mrcellophane, rbrown298 (we both suffered through Franco’s Succubus, ugh), brainee, pacaway, nondiatonic

I loved jholmes graphic review pages which could rival SurfinHawk’s. PCBreakDown, tarfirmmer, and thecrazydude using movie quotes is a great touch.

Mrcellophane seemed to dig deepest into horror smuck with a lot of film I hadn’t heard of before so I enjoyed reading about those.

Mondo Kane's end of year post marks the true end of the challenge, epic stuff from him and I love the drive-in totals. 7 breasts? 1 dead baboon? What is that guy watching?

Alyxstarr's list is well formatted (but I miss the bloody hand prints this year), and I appreciate the subset films - epic contribution. Tarfirmmer and SterlingBen had good formatting too.

I wrote down some cool looking new to me films to check out from the lists:
Spoiler:
Rifftracks: Hideous Sun Demon (mallratcal), Sleepstalker: The Sandman's Last Rites (GoBear, Prime), Luna (tarfirmer), She (1965, shellebelle), Monolith Monsters (arw6040), The Bone Yard (SterlingBen), Krysar (mightysparks), Chasing Sleep (mightysparks), Viy (jholmes), Exte: Hair Extensions (Dimension X, seems nicely weird), Turbo Kid (PCBreakdown), Haunting of Hill House (Irend, tv show), Kill List (omike), Girl in Room 2A (omike), 14 Camera (thecrazydude, also need to see 13 Cameras), The Evil (pagefrance), The Screaming Woman (mrcellophane, Youtube), The Man Who Laughs (TerrorTerror), The Man Who Could Not Hang (nondiatonic, always need 20s films for checklist)
I'm confused... I looked at your spoiler and see She from shellebelle's list... but don't see it on her list. Did she maybe remove it as it's not horror? It's a nice fantasy/adventure flick from Hammer which is a remake of the 1935 She from Merian C. Cooper. I prefer the 1935 one by a slight margin. Either is a good watch.
Old 11-07-18, 06:11 PM

Received 218 Likes on 161 Posts

I just fixed my list to put my stats at the top; I've always put a note at the top saying that the list was finalized and that my stats were at the bottom, but I caved to peer pressure this year and moved my stats.

To change the subject a wee bit, when will the suggestion list for next year go up? I had several ideas pop into my head during the Challenge, and I wrote them down somewhere....

One more note: I really miss SterlingBen's wife's comments. That's always been the high point of the Challenge for me.
Old 11-07-18, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
So just to be clear we have today (the 7th) to complete our lists? I've had some internet and computer issues this month so haven't been able to finish mine.
Well, it is technically the deadline, but you'll have a little leeway because I probably won't announce the winners until Friday (11/9).

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I made the club a year ago I believe, but I presume you are just referring to those that made it this challenge.
Yes, just recent entrants. You're already in.

Originally Posted by rbrown498
To change the subject a wee bit, when will the suggestion list for next year go up? I had several ideas pop into my head during the Challenge, and I wrote them down somewhere....
Not long after the winner announcements. Just put them in the wiki until then and I'll carry everything over.
Old 11-07-18, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

I need a little more time to update my list, I work in news and this week has been crazy with the election. Sorry for the delay and thanks to Chad for all of his hard work!
Old 11-07-18, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chad
Well, it is technically the deadline, but you'll have a little leeway because I probably won't announce the winners until Friday (11/9).
Okay, my list is complete now. It's not pretty, but it's there and chalk-full of tasty stats. Anyway looking forward to the wrap-up! But sad to be done so soon. Might need to revive that horror club...

Interestingly, I managed to watch 160 hours this year, same as last year. Weird.
Old 11-07-18, 09:52 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'm confused... I looked at your spoiler and see She from shellebelle's list... but don't see it on her list. Did she maybe remove it as it's not horror? It's a nice fantasy/adventure flick from Hammer which is a remake of the 1935 She from Merian C. Cooper. I prefer the 1935 one by a slight margin. Either is a good watch.
It is on shellebelle's list...
109. She / 1965 / 106 min / NR / DVD / ****
I was intrigued by the higher rating (4 out of 5) and it being an older film I hadn't heard of before (plus She seems like a cool name), but perhaps you have explained why as it does seem more adventure driven. I may still look into them (now that you've pointed out it being a remake). Thank you for the additional information.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 11-07-18 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-08-18, 07:19 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

jholmes[/I]I loved jholmes graphic review pages which could rival SurfinHawk’s.
Thanks! I'm glad to hear someone perused them. :-) I had fun making them. I like to have something to do on my computer while movies are on.

My October viewing cut into my work hours considerably. I'm self-employed so my schedule is flexible, but since Nov 1 I've been slammed catching up with work. Hopefully by the time the December challenge starts my plate will be relative clear and I can binge on holiday movies. And I'd like to go through everyone's list again and pull out horror titles to check out.

I'd be up for the horror club thing, though I'm not familiar with how it worked before.
Old 11-08-18, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

struggled to get to 100. a little rougher watch this year. Next year I hope we get the checklist and subset films earlier. Give a little time for preparation... that being said... Thanks CHad for doing this yet again,, and thanks everyone for having some awesome lists. I broke my phone but Is till have videos to upload,
Old 11-08-18, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Dimension X[/I] (b-movie tv)
I spend way too much time watching that channel. I even re-watch movies that I have on DVD sometimes, just because it's on and I don't feel like getting off the couch to find something else to watch.

But it is a great channel. I watched the first two Trailer Trauma compilations earlier this week, and I had seen most of the films on B-Movie TV sometime during the last couple of years.

Chad, sorry I'm so late with this, but I should have my stats on my list later today.
Old 11-08-18, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok my list is essentially done, what are the stats that Chad likes us to track for him? Something about decades? My total viewing was 68 films and 52 of those were first-time-viewings.
Old 11-08-18, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

I've been out of town for work for the last several days and need to catch up on this thread, but my final total number watched was already complete (107), but I made sure to now add that the themes and subset were complete and the checklist was a fail.

I also updated some stats at the top of my list, which included first-time views, decades watched and formats.
Old 11-08-18, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One of my unwritten goals was to tackle more of the Universal Monsters franchise. For some odd reason, I always save those for the challenge and never get to them. So I’ve decided that my post-challenge goal (post holidays is probably more realistic) is going to be to get though some of them. I’m trying to decide if I want to go chronologically or series by series. I do plan on tackling some of the “smaller” films but my main focus will be the main “monsters”.
Old 11-09-18, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One final reminder that I'll be announcing the winners tonight. Again, all I need is your total, number of challenges, and which optional lists were completed.

Also, it just recently came to my attention that there's going be a slight delay with four of the offerings from Cult Epics, and thankfully DVDTalk's alright with it. The Nekromantic and Pig limited VHS sets won't be shipped to the warehouse until the first week of December. To my knowledge the three Moon Child Blus were already sent and ready to ship off. I'm assuming DVDTalk will go ahead and send everything off as usual and just those four will go out later. Whatever the case, the 11/15 address deadline still stands for all. Really sorry about that, but I don't always have control over what's sent.
Old 11-09-18, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think I speak for everyone when I say “no apology needed, Chad”. I think all of us do the challenge for fun and any prizes associated with it are just icing on the cake.
Old 11-09-18, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by darth maher
i think i speak for everyone when i say “no apology needed, chad”. I think all of us do the challenge for fun and any prizes associated with it are just icing on the cake.
👍
Old 11-09-18, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oops, I've bumped my stats to the top of my list for convenience.
Old 11-09-18, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

PM or email me those addresses as soon as you can! I absolutely, positively have to send them off by 11/15. As always, if you already own something let me know and I'll *try* to accommodate your request. No guarantees.

THE SURFINHANK "BEST LIST" AWARD
Surfinhank

EVERYONE
MysterioMan007
Darth Maher
Cardsfan111
mallratcal

50 & OVER
mikewendt
Cronenbergfan71
numbercrunch

100 & OVER
jholmes
Irend
WillieMLF

5 OR MORE CHALLEGES
SterlingBen
wd40cloud

10 OR MORE CHALLENGES
HyperWeather
Indy24LA

OPTIONAL LISTS
Darkgod

And a special thanks to everyone involved in all the prize offerings and distribution - Rich Hamilton (GoldenWheels) of Hamilton Book, Seth Poulin (SethDLH) of Celluloid Terror, Don May Jr. and Matthew Kiernan of Synapse Films, Nico Bruinsma of Cult Epics, James Neurath and Chris Fletcher of Vinegar Syndrome, the Internet Brands warehouse workers, Joel Morris, and John Sinnott!

Last edited by Chad; 11-11-18 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-09-18, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Congratulations to all of the winners!! A big thank you to all of the generous sponsors and to Chad as always for keeping the granddaddy of all Challenges running.
Old 11-09-18, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've suddenly come the realization that I never posted the Vinegar Syndrome offerings (which just arrived today), so here's the complete prize list for the winners.
  • The Incubus (Vinegar Syndrome)
  • Body Melt (Vinegar Syndrome)
  • Terror (Vinegar Syndrome)
  • Unearthed & Untold: The Path to Pet Sematary (1 copy remaining) (Synapse)
  • Suspiria (2 copies remaining) (Synapse)
  • Moon Child Limited Edition (3 Copies) (Cult Epics)
  • Nekromantic VHS LE with T-shirt, lobby cards, and signed by Jorg Buttgereit (Cult Epics)
  • Nekromantic VHS LE (3 copies) (Cult Epics)
  • Pig VHS (Cult Epics)
  • A $20 GC to Diabolikdvd.com (Celluloid Terror)

Another reminder the 5 VHS sets are shipping later in December. And whoever chooses the Nekromantik sets, I'll do a random drawing to see who gets the box set edition with T-shirt and other stuff.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.