Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 11-02-18, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

The more Halloween decorations I get, the bigger the price I pay for it when it comes to bringing/stocking them all back in (But it's always worth it) Fully-recovered now to do a wrap-up.I'm pleased that I finally surpassed 150 this time. Thanks mostly to having a roku for the first time in this challenge. On the negative side, I feel pretty bad for having neglected so many "Extras" on my list. Just didn't have the time or feel the need to check out TV shows or various Halloween/Horror youtube vids like I usually do.
Haven't finalized my list yet, but here's my usual observances before I get to the awards:

Opening-Quote Frenzy: Maybe it's because I finally noticed it this year, but there were a LOT of films that began with a (Mostly) literary quote. A majority of them were Poe-related, but my favorite was at the beginning of Aunt Rose. Watch the movie to see what it is

Helga Line-Kudos to whoever it was that mentioned her to be in the checklist. I've never taken notice of her, but (Much like the way Isabelle Adjani did several challenges back) she kept re-appearing in other films that I would coincidentally watch...And kept making an impression!

New Mexico was a hot place for horror for a while there (Insidious 3,Curse II: The Bite) but then good ol' Canada came back with a vengeance

Encountered a few Birthday parties:
The Zero Boys
Happy Death Day
American Gothic
(I think)

"You F__ing B*tch!" <----Unquestionably, that was THE most overused line I heard in this challenge. Whether it was in 4/20 Massacre, various SAW sequels, or My Little Eye. You were always guaranteed to hear this being shouted by the bad guy/killer/antagonist after he would get wounded or humiliated by The Final Girl.

Double Feature actors: I would unexpectedly go "I just saw him/her!" within a 24-hour period.
Louis Ferreira The Marsh,Saw IV
Shawnee Smith Various Saw movies, Carnival of Souls
Charlie Heaton Marrowbone, Shut in

"Hey, crazy lady! That baby you're caring for is either dead or isn't real!"
Daylight's End
Terrifier
American Gothic
The Terror Within

Other Holidays encountered (Mostly Xmas)
Elves
Requiem for a vampire (2006)
Bikini Bloodbath Christmas
The Moth Diaries

Best scores:
420 Massacre
Rest in Pieces
Halloween (2018)
Summer of '84
Tenebre
(I love it even more now)

Zero budget movies that did their job well (For the most part)
Dead Doll
Mr. Cleaver
Aunt Rose
The Thirsting
Wicked Lake

Coolest makeup/creature design: The Boneyard

Biggest Cheater ending: Sodoma's Ghost

Coolest Opening-Credits-Dracula: Dead and Loving It (Should have been used for a serious horror movie!)

More sex than horror (But not really complaining) Wolfhound

Need to see it remastered: The Demon (1979)

Favorite (Spooky) rewind-worthy moment: The Witch in the Window

Favorite (For other reasons) rewind-worthy moment: Ritual of Death (Which I posted in the discussion thread)

Awards time!

Best Movie(s) (First time viewing)
Summer of '84-I was really surprised at all the mixed reactions to this. Surprised this "Went there" at the end.
Burying The Ex-The most fun I had and oh, how I would love to live in that world.
Dead Doll-This one stuck with me the longest.
Happy Death Day-See Subset thread for my lengthy reaction lol
Ghostwatch-Could be seen as horribly dated by today's standards, but what an excellent job for it's time.

Worst Movie(s)
Cage Dive-Complete dud
Freakshow-I had a rough time with Anthologies this year. I'd say this was the worst.
Exposure-I noticed Seth watched this too...And I agree with his rating.
Absolution-So terrible it doesn't even have a page at either ICM or Letterboxd.

Imagine My Surprise! (aka "holy shit, I actually enjoyed that!")
House of the Dead 2-Dare I say, I had a blast with this.

Biggest Disappointment(s)
I'll go with my own subset for Terrifier. I agree with Retro Horror (On his youtube vid) that this didn't know what it wanted to be. Honorable mention goes to The Invitation (2015), probably because I just wasn't in the mood for something like that at the time.

Best "Better on a 2nd viewing" movie
Quite a bit to choose from this year. I really loved the "Badness" of Haunting of Morella this time, but overall I would definetly go with Visiting Hours. Forgot, or didn't even notice, how tremendous Michael Ironside is in that!

It's Cheestastic!
Winterbeast
Killer Workout
Swamp Zombies
(Didn't need to be THAT long though)

"WTF did I just watch?"
Ritual of Death
Lady of the Dark: Genesis of the Serpent Vampire
Nightmare Weekend

The Boobage Award!
Fantom Killer is the obvious winner, but The Thirsting wins for the natural types

**Favorite Horror Babes**
Nicole De Boer-Prom Night IV
Cristina Suriani-The Dracula Saga
Bobbie Phillips-Carnival of Souls
Eve Mauro-Wicked Lake
Tina Krause/Lauren Ryland-The Thirsting
Emmanuelle Vaugier/Victoria Pratt/Nadine Velasquez-House of the Dead 2

Lastly, my Compilation vid:

As usual, thank you Chad for keeping this going, Pal.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 11-02-18 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-03-18, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Thanks Chad for another great challenge and thanks alyxstarr for your big contributions as always, much appreciated!

Top FTVs
Blue Sunshine, starting with the character introductions and the blue moon this film kept it interesting to the very end
Peeping Tom, a well done film, sympathetic murderer and a great supporting cast
Happy Death Day, it's been done before but the lead actress shines in this one

Meh FTVs
Hereditary, an affluent family like this should have already been in therapy, just sayin'...
Abraham Lincoln:  Vampire Hunter, characters not having some fun seemed like a missed opportunity
Firestarter, a cool term like pyrokinesis deserved a better film, impressive pyrotechnic work though

Bottom FTVs
Bog, dumb
Demon Wind, that constant stock sound of people falling on the ground and into walls
Inside/Terrifier, the two reasons why I will never complete the subset challenge again

Honorable mentions
Blood Beach, like Blue Sunshine this was a film that stuck to its premise and pulled it off fairly well, ominous theme too
Kwaidan, dreamy atmospheric Japanese storytelling, long but worth it
Trilogy of Terror, I remember my mom talking about the scary doll and fearing undersides of couches and beds, know I know why
The Descent, good film but less crawlers would have made this a great film
Hobgoblins, I watched the MST3K version and "I didn't mean to turn you on" and "chord! chord! chord! chord! chord! chord! other chord!"

Favorite rewatches
The Funhouse, I love the theme music, it sets the mood for the malevolent midway
An American Werewolf in London, Blu-ray upgrade looked great
Captain Kronos:  Vampire Hunter, 'nuff said
Old 11-03-18, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a blast this year! Despite a new job I beat last year's numbers with 105. I only wished I would have had more time to get on here and discuss more regularly. But I had a lot of fun reading posts and reviews. Can't wait 'till next time!

Special thanks to Chad and ALYXSTARR for all you do!!!
Old 11-04-18, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

List is complete and only able to watch 7 movies. Somethings came up that messed everything up, next year I’ll do better
Old 11-04-18, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Another reminder for anyone that overlooked the wiki post...

• Best List voting is open.

• Lists are due 11/7.

• Winner addresses are due 11/10.

Once again, including 'list complete', how many challenges you've participated in, and which optional lists you've completed is always appreciated.

Prize categories are the same as the last few years:
Spoiler:
  • Best List
  • Everyone
  • 100 & Over
  • 50 & Over
  • Optional Lists (1 entry for each completed)
  • 10 or More Challenges
  • 5 or More Challenges

And here's the new additions to the 10 challenges club I have so far:
  • Undeadcow
  • alyxstarr
  • wishbone
  • SethDLH
  • Indy24LA
  • mallratcal
  • Numes
  • acubfaninmd
  • Mountain Biker

Let me know if you should be on there.

Last edited by Chad; 11-06-18 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-04-18, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I should have my list finalized some time tomorrow, Chad. I was at my sister's all day today for an early Thanksgiving dinner.
Old 11-05-18, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was listening to the morning show on the radio this morning, and I heard some Walking Dead news. The actor who plays Rick has said that starting next year, there will be an entire series of movies starring Rick. So we haven't seen the last of him.
Old 11-05-18, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

My list is complete!

Thanks Chad!
Old 11-05-18, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My list will be delayed a little longer, Chad. Problems on our property are at the forefront of my mind today.
Old 11-05-18, 10:18 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

Hi, Chad,

My list is complete.
This is my second challenge.
I watched 133 films with just 1 wildcard.
I watched all the subset films including Criterion and Comedy crossovers
I did all the theme nights
Checklist is complete

Thank you!
Old 11-05-18, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Chad- List is finalized, 10th challenge and... I think that's it. Thanks again for running the best challege on the net.
Old 11-05-18, 10:40 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Guys, I think Chad wants the “list complete” messages and the stats at the top of your actual list post, not here. At least, it would be a lot easier for him not to have to cross reference the posts/threads. Even if he’s willing to do the work, let’s make it easier for him or any other stat talliers.
Old 11-05-18, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Finalized my list! This is only my 8th challenge. Thanks for all your work, Chad! October is always a fun viewing month!
Old 11-05-18, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Guys, I think Chad wants the “list complete” messages and the stats at the top of your actual list post, not here. At least, it would be a lot easier for him not to have to cross reference the posts/threads. Even if he’s willing to do the work, let’s make it easier for him or any other stat talliers.
Get outta my head!!!

I was thinking the exact same thing when up comes your post...
Old 11-05-18, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

List is complete.
Old 11-05-18, 04:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

My list is complete. I had a great time once again. Huge thanks to Chad, all the sponsors and all the participants. My only problem this year was that I was never able to catch up with the discussion during the challenge. I really need to start reading the discussion before the challenge even begins next year.

I did participate in a few of the subset pick reviews again and enjoyed that very much. At least I was able to get these read in a timely manner! All of the comments there were interesting and I often found that Undeadcow's could be particularly though provoking. I don't think I'd ever want to do all of the picks but I hope to up the number I watch next year. I just focussed on doing all the theme nights this year and I thought that worked really well for me. That's one of the great things about this challenge - you can pick and choose your approach from a bunch of options.

I hope I can get to some of the special features now that I ignored but I always intend to do that but never seem to check out very many.

I'm already looking forward to next year.
Old 11-05-18, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

My list is complete in regards to films watched. There will still be a few reviews that roll in after the date though.
Met the 100
9th challenge year
Theme night complete
Old 11-05-18, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
  • Undeadcow
  • alyxstarr
  • wishbone
  • SethDLH
  • Indy24LA
  • mallratcal

Since 2007:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/8175762-post36.html
Old 11-06-18, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by omike
I did participate in a few of the subset pick reviews again and enjoyed that very much. At least I was able to get these read in a timely manner! All of the comments there were interesting and I often found that Undeadcow's could be particularly though provoking. I don't think I'd ever want to do all of the picks but I hope to up the number I watch next year...
Thanks, I really enjoy the subset discussion and am glad my posts didn't turn out to just be insane ravings of a sleep deprived and overly horrored mind...
Old 11-06-18, 11:21 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Thanks, I really enjoy the subset discussion and am glad my posts didn't turn out to just be insane ravings of a sleep deprived and overly horrored mind...
I particularly enjoyed your posts on the subset films and scanning your list for new-to-me films you ranked highly.
Old 11-06-18, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by jholmes
I particularly enjoyed your posts on the subset films and scanning your list for new-to-me films you ranked highly.
The discussion and finding new to me films is the best part, echoing earlier sentiments that it's a bummer a more routine horror club never worked out. I think I have you to blame for my new found quest for a DVD of Viy, even though I've been avoiding DVDs lately.
Old 11-06-18, 07:53 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry for any delay, I'm still reading lists, but mine is final.
Old 11-06-18, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My List is complete.
Old 11-06-18, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor

At the top? Crap. I put everything at the bottom. I’ll have to fix that when I can get to a computer. Too much text to shift on a tiny iPhone. Lol
Old 11-07-18, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another reminder for anyone that overlooked the wiki post...

Lists are due 11/7.
So just to be clear we have today (the 7th) to complete our lists? I've had some internet and computer issues this month so haven't been able to finish mine.

• Undeadcow
  • alyxstarr
  • wishbone
  • SethDLH
  • Indy24LA
  • mallratcal
  • Numes
  • acubfaninmd
  • Mountain Biker

I made the club a year ago I believe, but I presume you are just referring to those that made it this challenge.

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
At the top? Crap. I put everything at the bottom. I’ll have to fix that when I can get to a computer. Too much text to shift on a tiny iPhone. Lol
I think we used to put it in the Title so that it would be at the top no matter what, but then we switched over to putting it in the top of the list itself. I kind of like the Title idea though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.