Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 10-19-18, 08:10 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
Just got home from seeing Halloween (2018).... and I loved it. Well worth a watch.
So happy to hear (read) that. Plan on going Monday afternoon.
Old 10-19-18, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

What has rock and roll zombies, Hitler, self-devouring puppets, Nazi midgets, yokel townfolk, old woman werewolves, sex pervs, weird choreography and counts as a tick off your rock and roll / musical checklist?

Ladies and gents, I give you Hard Rock Zombies:
Old 10-19-18, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
What has rock and roll zombies, Hitler, self-devouring puppets, Nazi midgets, yokel townfolk, old woman werewolves, sex pervs, weird choreography and counts as a tick off your rock and roll / musical checklist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6e_vmO7E3Q
God I love this movie
Old 10-19-18, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
God I love this movie
Cassie is a kinda' catchy tune. :P
Old 10-19-18, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Pyewacket (2017) is a very effective slow-burn horror about a girl's obsession with the occult going too far. It's very deliberately paced, with a strong emphasis on character, but it genuinely frightened me a few times. I thought it was a strong film but I can see some people wanting more scary moments by the end. One of my favorite FTVs this year.
Originally Posted by jholmes
I really liked Pyewacket. I'm enjoying all of the recs on this thread.
Pyewacket is one melancholy film; I also enjoyed it and despite some plot holes it perfectly captures a dread sense of paranoia and fear that you can't quite place. My favorite scene is when she's walking home from the bus, subtle but creepy. Good recommendation, although it is slow burn enough I agree you'd have to be in the mood for it.
Old 10-19-18, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Shudder is continuing to impress me and this time it's with their International Exclusive offerings. A couple of supernatural-themed films that were actually somewhat terrifying--the Argentinian Terrified and Satan's Slaves from Indonesia. Also the slasher Among the Living from France, which definitely delivers in the originality department for the killer.
Add Cold Hell from Germany to that list.

Just got home from seeing Halloween (2018).... and I loved it. Well worth a watch.
Been hearing a lot of positive feedback for this lately. It'll be interesting to see what the opening weekend numbers are, and if it meets/exceeds those 70-80M projections.

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Well, I hate SAW movies, and Jigsaw was no different. Not sure why I even bothered with it...I guess I was in the mood for something newer.

Awful. Awful, overdone, overwrought, stupidly fantastical nonsense. Blech. The worst movie I've watched all month.
I'm still working up the nerve to crack open my set and watch part 4 for the first time. Not exactly looking forward to it either.

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6e_vmO7E3Q
I still say Hard Rock Zombies, Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare, and Black Roses is one of the greatest schlock triple features ever. Only second to Death Spa/Raw Force/Night Train to Terror.

Originally Posted by jholmes
I'm planning to watch the Joe Bob Briggs commentary on "I Spit On Your Grave" for that section. I've never seen the film, and I figure it's probably not a film where you really need to focus on the story to follow it. Plus his commentary may help lighten it up a bit. Found the DVD on ebay.
That's his best, IMO.
Old 10-19-18, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Watching a Shudder exclusive right now called Terrified. It’s living up to its name. Pausing until daylight, ‘night all!
Terrified, available on Shudder, is a pretty great horror film with a lot going on and some bizarre eye candy. I'm glad this was mentioned because it's a standout.
Edit: Not to be confused with Terrifier, which I did not like as much.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-19-18 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-19-18, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey everyone, I'm hosting a Comet TV giveaway on my blog, winner will be selected on Halloween. There's a chance to win a cool Nosferatu shirt along with other goodies and all it takes is an email (US only). All the info is in the blog post - https://celluloidterror.blogspot.com...-giveaway.html
Old 10-19-18, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Well, I hate SAW movies, and Jigsaw was no different. Not sure why I even bothered with it...I guess I was in the mood for something newer.

Awful. Awful, overdone, overwrought, stupidly fantastical nonsense. Blech. The worst movie I've watched all month.
I've been marathoning them this month (2 a week. Supposed to do Part 6 sometime today) Never seen 7 & Jigsaw yet. But my expectations aren't high, of course.
Old 10-19-18, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

I've made it through 1.5 Saw movies. Just can't do it.
Old 10-19-18, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Another thumbs up for Pyewacket. You gotta be in the right frame for this one and I thought it went pretty well.

Man, The Toxic Avenger really hasn't aged well. I remember loving the DVD back in the day, but I think I've lost that loving feeling. May shoot for the Whip and the Body for Christopher Lee on the checklist, then may try Mandy and Satan's Slaves.
Old 10-19-18, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

I don't usually do much TV during the challenge but I'm craving a Hannibal binge session. I missed during it's initial airing, but I watched it last winter and I was hooked. It's an exceptional series, and in some ways I love it more than the films.

If you like the movies but haven't watched the show, you owe it to yourself to check it out. It's visually stunning, with a creepy soundtrack and great performances. It also features some episodes directed by David Slade and Neil Marshall. Won't need any wildcards either, it's pretty horrific. It's available to stream on Amazon Prime.
Old 10-19-18, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Another thumbs up for Pyewacket. You gotta be in the right frame for this one and I thought it went pretty well.
I watched this one a while back and enjoyed it as well. The slow burn worked well for it and it was a pretty lesson about being careful what you wish for...
Old 10-19-18, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally experienced that gut-wrenching feeling of getting no slip on a Vestron title (Gothic) thanks to DD today! At least Vinegar Syndrome helped ease the sting a little with four in the Oct bundle.

And after avoiding it for years thinking it would be pure torture (no pun intended), I watched Flavia the Heretic. Nunsploitation is usually pretty hit or miss with me, but I found it downright entertaining, and it surprisingly wasn't just cheap exploitation thrills. Still have Bruno Mattei's The Other Hell to watch, which I'm sure it will go in that particular direction.

Followed that up with the apparent new subgenre, STD horrors - the zomedy Night of Something Strange that felt like a '90s Troma flick. I could take it or leave it.
Old 10-19-18, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finally experienced that gut-wrenching feeling of getting no slip on a Vestron title (Gothic) thanks to DD today! At least Vinegar Syndrome helped ease the sting a little with four in the Oct bundle.
Imagine getting that feeling when you pre-order a title. It happened to me with Beyond Re-Animator and Dagaon. And that point I said screw it all and have slowly been selling off the rest of my Vestron slips on Ebay.
Old 10-19-18, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man, The Toxic Avenger really hasn't aged well. I remember loving the DVD back in the day, but I think I've lost that loving feeling. May shoot for the Whip and the Body for Christopher Lee on the checklist, then may try Mandy and Satan's Slaves.
I am currently watching Toxic Avenger and trying to figure out what bad deed I must have done to be subjected to this torture.
Old 10-19-18, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

I just introduced Toxic Avenger to a friend. We had a fun time, lots of laughs. Sorry others haven't enjoyed their evening with Toxie.

I've got a group of people here. We found out that one of my friends has never seen a Friday the 13th movie. She has been playing the game a lot lately and mentioned getting confused by some things having not seen the film. We appropriately shamed her and are starting the first one now. I'm not sure how many well do tonight, but I guess her voyage has begun.
Old 10-19-18, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've always found The Toxic Avenger to be a blast. Can't say the same for the restrained "big budget" (by Troma standards) first two sequels. And four, well, that's one's just completely off-the-wall batshit crazy.

Imagine getting that feeling when you pre-order a title. It happened to me with Beyond Re-Animator and Dagaon. And that point I said screw it all and have slowly been selling off the rest of my Vestron slips on Ebay.
That does indeed suck. Normally I'm not that obsessed with them, but I had them all up until now and, you know ...completest syndrome.

Originally Posted by clckworang
I just introduced Toxic Avenger to a friend. We had a fun time, lots of laughs. Sorry others haven't enjoyed their evening with Toxie.

I've got a group of people here. We found out that one of my friends has never seen a Friday the 13th movie. She has been playing the game a lot lately and mentioned getting confused by some things having not seen the film. We appropriately shamed her and are starting the first one now. I'm not sure how many well do tonight, but I guess her voyage has begun.
Just in case you'd prefer the shortcut route --
Old 10-20-18, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've always found The Toxic Avenger to be a blast. Can't say the same for the restrained "big budget" (by Troma standards) first two sequels. And four, well, that's one's just completely off-the-wall batshit crazy.

That does indeed suck. Normally I'm not that obsessed with them, but I had them all up until now and, you know ...completest syndrome.
Exactly. It's weird that I was so attracted to them because they're just glossier versions of the normal cover art but I thought they were really sharp and sleek but if I wasn't going to have them all I basically said screw it. The fact that people are willing to pay $15 for each slip made it alot easier to part with lol
Old 10-20-18, 12:13 AM

Followed that up with the apparent new subgenre, STD horrors - the zomedy Night of Something Strange that felt like a '90s Troma flick. I could take it or leave it.
Night of Something Strange might be the worst thing I've seen in a long time; the idea of STD horrors could be interesting but this one is total trash in the worse way.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-20-18 at 01:04 AM.
Old 10-20-18, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

People that don't like the Toxic Avenger would not be invited to my wedding. That's just a fact.
Old 10-20-18, 08:55 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Just a note that everyone's favorite wildcard (okay okay, my favorite wildcard...) It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown airs Friday at 8 p.m. eastern, on ABC.
Old 10-20-18, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Great Pumpkin is classic and I plan on watching it before the end of the month, but I've always been under the impression that Halloween specials would count without using a wild card.
Old 10-20-18, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 623 Likes on 457 Posts

Man, The Toxic Avenger really hasn't aged well. I remember loving the DVD back in the day, but I think I've lost that loving feeling.
I am currently watching Toxic Avenger and trying to figure out what bad deed I must have done to be subjected to this torture.
I've always found The Toxic Avenger to be a blast.
People that don't like the Toxic Avenger would not be invited to my wedding. That's just a fact.
I'll break the current tie. I'd heard so much about this one that when I found it on Amazon Prime streaming I added it to my queue and watched it a few days ago. It was simply awful. Had it not been for the challenge I'd have not finished it. I gave it 3/10 and felt I was being a bit generous.
Old 10-20-18, 10:30 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Shack
Just a note that everyone's favorite wildcard (okay okay, my favorite wildcard...) It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown airs Friday at 8 p.m. eastern, on ABC.
The Great Pumpkin is classic and I plan on watching it before the end of the month, but I've always been under the impression that Halloween specials would count without using a wild card.
Yes, no wildcard necessary on anything Halloween related. But it was the original wildcard back in the day.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.