Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-18, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

I keep a TV series or two in constant rotation for late night or fill-in (not-enough-time-for-a-whole-movie) viewings. I finally opened and watched my DVD set of "Hammer House of Horrors" this past week (picked it up in July 2017). Wow! That's a superb series. I wish it could have lasted longer than 13 meager episodes. I followed it up with a long overdue viewing of "The Veil" (I purchased that one in October 2009!!) I've only seen 4 episodes of that one so far but at this point I'd say it's another very good series. I highly recommend both for fans of pre-1970s horror.
Old 10-18-18, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Did we do Come Out and Play a few years ago as a theme?
It was my subset pick in 2014.
Old 10-18-18, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Quick reminder since I forgot to post this yesterday...

Originally Posted by Chad

Sunday Night Trivia Question #2

It's back with a vengeance and even easier the second time around. On October 1, 2018 we celebrated the 50th anniversary release date of "Night of the Living Dead", and it gave birth to the modern zombie film.

Name 3 of your favorite modern (post NOTLD) zombie films.

That's it. There are no right or wrong answers. Randomly drawn.

You're playing for the very well-stacked HamiltonBook.com Prize Pack #2:

Spoiler:

- Bram Stoker's Shadowbuilder
- Psychos In Love
- A Woman's Torment
- Orgy of the Dead
- The Corpse Grinders
- Prey
- Blood Hook
- Malatesta's Carnival of Blood
- What Have They Done To Your Daughters?
- Scalpel
- The Gore Gore Girls
- The Gruesome Twosome
- Two Thousand Maniacs!
- The Hammer Horror Series
- The Green Inferno: The Director's Cut
- Frankenhooker
- Wicked, Wicked
- Pure Terror
- Psycho Complete 4-Movie Collection
- Blumhouse 8 Movie Horror Collection

Courtesy of...

Submit your answers to me via PM or email (one entry per person).

Contest is open until next Sunday's trivia question begins.

Good luck.

Old 10-18-18, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Yeah, when the subset list was finalized I was worried my pick would feel redundant since we did Come Out and Play a few years ago. Unfortunately the remake was very similar to the original, even reusing a lot of the same shots. However I thought the original had enough value and substance that I think it was a worthy choice. I hope others feel the same.
Old 10-18-18, 08:35 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Yeah, when the subset list was finalized I was worried my pick would feel redundant since we did Come Out and Play a few years ago. Unfortunately the remake was very similar to the original, even reusing a lot of the same shots. However I thought the original had enough value and substance that I think it was a worthy choice. I hope others feel the same.
Most definitely a great selection. Films that good are worth re-visiting.
Old 10-18-18, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Just got home from seeing Halloween (2018).... and I loved it. Well worth a watch.
Old 10-18-18, 09:55 PM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

Question: I've seen people talk about doing the checklist with a) never repeating the use of a film or b) completing every person/category even when it says you can do 20 out of 30 or 5 out of 10 etc.

There actual rules of the checklist are clear, like "select 2 writers" and you can reuse films if they count for multiple things on the checklist. Is there any benefit to going beyond that in terms of the prizes? Because from what I can gather from the official rules, there isn't any benefit. If you "complete" the checklist, per the actual stated checklist rules, you are entered in a random drawing.

Is that correct? Or am I missing something?

This is my first year doing the full challenge so I'm trying to figure out what folks are doing and why.
Old 10-18-18, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by jholmes
Question: I've seen people talk about doing the checklist with a) never repeating the use of a film or b) completing every person/category even when it says you can do 20 out of 30 or 5 out of 10 etc.

There actual rules of the checklist are clear, like "select 2 writers" and you can reuse films if they count for multiple things on the checklist. Is there any benefit to going beyond that in terms of the prizes? Because from what I can gather from the official rules, there isn't any benefit. If you "complete" the checklist, per the actual stated checklist rules, you are entered in a random drawing.

Is that correct? Or am I missing something?

This is my first year doing the full challenge so I'm trying to figure out what folks are doing and why.
People like to stretch for fun, for the "Challenge" of it.
Old 10-18-18, 10:55 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by orlmac
I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before but I just want to say that Tag on Netflix Streaming is a very unique movie. The first 10 minutes are something I have never seen before and although parts of the movie are uneven and I wasn't particularly impressed with the ending I have to say that I have never seen a movie with this plot before and that is hard for me to say. If anyone else has watched it I would love to hear their thoughts, both good and bad. I heartily recommend this to everyone to at least sample the first 10 minutes.
Originally Posted by brainee
I have yet to see a Sion Sono movie that didn't intrigue me to some degree. And that certainly continues here. Right now, he's probably my favorite "cult" director. And you never really know what you'll get with his movies ... comedy, murder/thriller, ghost horror, musical, action, art-house drama, sci-fi. In a way, this hearkens back to his international breakout Suicide Club (especially with an opening sequence that needs to be seen to be believed). And then it gets strange, shifting realities that left me not knowing where we were going next. And where it ultimately went in the end is something that I'm sure I'll remember (and is still rattling around in my brain). My big quibble is that all the CGI gore looks terribly fake (and isn't that usually the case).
Ok, you people suckered me into watching Tag. I agree the first 10 minutes were especially intense/gorey setup, but also remember the director's Suicide Club being an even more wtf intense display (I am due for a revisit). Tag is a film that feel like it has more depth to it although I suspect so much of it is just a nonsensical framework for gorey and surreal imagery there is no real rationale for. As cool as the first segment is, the film never even seems to resolve some mysteries (or does so in a very cryptic/abstract way that eludes me). Starts with epic bloody carnage before parading off to a series of pseudo-metaphysical nonsense punctuated by more bloody carnage. It's like a gorey Japanese spin on The Matrix with arterial spray and pondering on free will versus fate in terms of shaping reality and identity. Like a one person chase sequence I cannot decide if it's a setback that Tag lacks plot or if abstract and weird enough to not need one. For as many ideas that resonate or intense visuals there any number of plot holes, shortcuts, or just irreverent sight gags.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-18-18 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-18-18, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

For anyone with kids or that grew up with the books - I think it is worth checking out the new Goosebumps movie while it's in theaters. It's not going to blow your mind but it is entertaining family friendly horror that sets the Halloween mood pretty well. Good solid fun.
Old 10-18-18, 10:59 PM

Forest of Lost Souls is pretty stellar, bonus for only be 70 minutes long and available on Amazon Prime streaming. Black and white Portuguese film with artful shot compositions in a scenic forest and a thematic focus on bleak sadness that matches the drab colors of the film. Gradual subtle plot that is both shocking and nicely cryptic building on itself from abstract themes of the suicide forest (length of sadness) to more base slasher elements but with an arthouse slow mo style which I found to be a good metaphor for suicide/sadness devastating loved ones (which is my interpretation, not an obvious part of the film). Easily a highlight from my recent watchings.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-18-18 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-18-18, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by SethDLH
For anyone with kids or that grew up with the books - I think it is worth checking out the new Goosebumps movie while it's in theaters. It's not going to blow your mind but it is entertaining family friendly horror that sets the Halloween mood pretty well. Good solid fun.
My favorite were the gummy bears; evil gummy bears could be a film in itself. I also enjoyed G2 but felt it stepped more away from the books and into a more generic Halloween romp. House With a Clock in It's Wall is also worth checking out, Jack Black is big with family movies these days.

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
Just got home from seeing Halloween (2018).... and I loved it. Well worth a watch.
Damn... looking forward to checking new Halloween out; and Suspiria remake. This year might actually be one of the strongest Halloween theatrical offerings in some time.
Originally Posted by jholmes
Question: I've seen people talk about doing the checklist with... completing every person/category even when it says you can do 20 out of 30 or 5 out of 10 etc...
I use to try to do this, complete every checklist item to 100% (which SterlingBen is correct is just a weird personal challenge thing) but that horrible horrible 'masters of commentary' category killed that. I hate commentaries, generally speaking, and might listen to one or two for especially interesting films but listening to 10 commentaries would be such a chore. Whoever suggested that should be flogged, actually I know who suggested it... curses, Trevor. Anyone who can 100% this deserves an instant prize.
Spoiler:
Watch 1 w/commentary from the "Masters of Commentary":
--- Joe Bob Briggs -
--- John Carpenter -
--- Larry Cohen -
--- Joe Dante -
--- Herschell Gordon Lewis -
--- Tim Lucas -
--- George A. Romero -
--- Guillermo del Toro -
--- David del Valle -

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-18-18 at 11:11 PM.
Old 10-18-18, 11:04 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Watching a Shudder exclusive right now called Terrified. It’s living up to its name. Pausing until daylight, ‘night all!
Old 10-18-18, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Watching a Shudder exclusive right now called Terrified. It’s living up to its name. Pausing until daylight, ‘night all!
Don't... go... to... sleep... this is the October horror movie challenge, you can sleep in November or if you go all out for comedy then December unless you also like holiday movies in which case you might be able to adapt to not getting much sleep. One two Freddy's coming for you...
Old 10-18-18, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Trying to get one more in, as I've got tomorrow off. I was going to do Mandy (2018), but I wanted to save Nick Cage for a sober night. It looks like The Cured (2017) may be the winner.
Old 10-18-18, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you've ever wondered what Aliens would be like with a shoestring budget and set on a submarine, check out The Rift to see how it would turn out(not well).
Old 10-19-18, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

If you've ever wondered what Aliens would be like with a shoestring budget and set on a submarine, check out The Rift to see how it would turn out(not well).
I was so disappointed in that movie. It kept coming up on lists with Leviathan, Deep Star Six & Unknown Origin so when it finally made it to optical I was super jazzed, and it ended up sucking. Hard.
Old 10-19-18, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Showtime Beyond seems to be a good channel for this month's Challenge viewing. In two days, I've seen two horror movies on there. Tonight was an interesting first time view, called The Scarehouse. It was an interesting take on the revenge genre, taking place at a Sorority house.
Old 10-19-18, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I was so disappointed in that movie. It kept coming up on lists with Leviathan, Deep Star Six & Unknown Origin so when it finally made it to optical I was super jazzed, and it ended up sucking. Hard.
Yeah as someone who really enjoys Pieces and Slugs(from the same director) I had high hopes that this would be cheesy, yet fun. It wasn't. It was boring and the horror elements are confined to a ten minute window near the end. R Lee Ermey was wasted.
Old 10-19-18, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I have the DVR add-on on Sling TV, and have been going through episodes of Paranormal Survivor this month. I've seen the occasional episode before, but am enjoying watching episodes more regularly. I'm glad that Travel Channel has been participating in Ghostober this year. Interestingly enough, while I was just watching an episode, the radio station I was listening to played 'Enter Sandman', by Metallica.
Old 10-19-18, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pyewacket (2017) is a very effective slow-burn horror about a girl's obsession with the occult going too far. It's very deliberately paced, with a strong emphasis on character, but it genuinely frightened me a few times. I thought it was a strong film but I can see some people wanting more scary moments by the end. One of my favorite FTVs this year.

Bite (2015) takes the gross-out gags from Cronenberg's The Fly and builds an entire movie around them. Pretty much a waste of time.
Old 10-19-18, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
People like to stretch for fun, for the "Challenge" of it.
Thanks. That's what I figured but just wanted to be sure. I am trying to watch more than the minimum and do all the categories. But there are so many films I have on my "to watch" list, and I'd rather use this time to hit some of them versus watching films I don't really want to if it's not necessary for the challenge.
Old 10-19-18, 07:19 AM

Pyewacket (2017) is a very effective slow-burn horror about a girl's obsession with the occult going too far. It's very deliberately paced, with a strong emphasis on character, but it genuinely frightened me a few times. I thought it was a strong film but I can see some people wanting more scary moments by the end. One of my favorite FTVs this year.
I really liked Pyewacket. I'm enjoying all of the recs on this thread.

Has anyone watched the new The Apostle with Dan Stevens on Netflix? Looks great.
Old 10-19-18, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Damn... looking forward to checking new Halloween out; and Suspiria remake. This year might actually be one of the strongest Halloween theatrical offerings in some time.I use to try to do this, complete every checklist item to 100% (which SterlingBen is correct is just a weird personal challenge thing) but that horrible horrible 'masters of commentary' category killed that. I hate commentaries, generally speaking, and might listen to one or two for especially interesting films but listening to 10 commentaries would be such a chore. Whoever suggested that should be flogged, actually I know who suggested it... curses, Trevor. Anyone who can 100% this deserves an instant prize.
Spoiler:
Watch 1 w/commentary from the "Masters of Commentary":
--- Joe Bob Briggs -
--- John Carpenter -
--- Larry Cohen -
--- Joe Dante -
--- Herschell Gordon Lewis -
--- Tim Lucas -
--- George A. Romero -
--- Guillermo del Toro -
--- David del Valle -
Thanks for that clarification.

Yeah, there are a few sections of the checklist that, if I tried to do them all, I'd end up watching a lot of marginal stuff (marginal for me), and there are so many films I still need, and want, to see for the first time. The commentary section is a good example. I don't usually listen to commentaries either. On first viewing it's too distracting. And I don't watch things repeatedly unless it's once a year for something like "Halloween", but even then, I prefer to experience the film itself. I know I should listen to more commentaries because I'm sure they're interesting. A few of the actors/deceased too have a very limited horror list. But I am trying to do all of the category/genre trope sections. Between that and the subset, I'm watching things I wouldn't have picked, which is a nice stretch.

I'm planning to watch the Joe Bob Briggs commentary on "I Spit On Your Grave" for that section. I've never seen the film, and I figure it's probably not a film where you really need to focus on the story to follow it. Plus his commentary may help lighten it up a bit. Found the DVD on ebay.

I'm at my conference and I've managed to watch a bit each day so far, so that's good. Though last night a friend I talked into coming back to my room with me to watch Repo! The Genetic Opera fled after the first twenty minutes. Portsmouth/Norfolk Virginia is a beautiful area.
Old 10-19-18, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, I hate SAW movies, and Jigsaw was no different. Not sure why I even bothered with it...I guess I was in the mood for something newer.

Awful. Awful, overdone, overwrought, stupidly fantastical nonsense. Blech. The worst movie I've watched all month.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.