Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-18, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by SethDLH
It's a bit upsetting isn't it?
This is my 11th challenge. I've hit 100 all previous years. The idea of failing to do that this year is very upsetting.

I'm not giving up a yet, though. If I can just pull off one big weekend, I can maybe put myself back on track. Here's hoping for this weekend.
Old 10-17-18, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by clckworang
I'm not giving up a yet, though. If I can just pull off one big weekend, I can maybe put myself back on track. Here's hoping for this weekend.
Cheers. If anyone needs a pep talk there's still plenty of time, you guys can pull this off. Call in for a day and veg at home - I've seen people list up to 12 movies in a day before, which is a lot but it can be really nice to just lounge around all day sometimes. Seth is at 44 and clckworang at 47 - those are not 'throw in the towel' mid-month numbers.

I have thought myself about trying to ease off of so many viewings because the most important thing is to have fun and enjoy some cool movies, be it 10 or 100, and that can sometimes be hard to do if your always got something queued up on your tablet for brief moments here and there. I also sometimes feel compelled to ensure at least 100, but there might be something liberating about not.
Old 10-17-18, 10:25 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I’m all about watching two films a month is equal to three hundred, and just being here and having fun is all that counts; but admit that it’s hard to personally see myself ever dipping below 100 again. Horror films have been my jam since I was a little kid, and binging in October is so natural it seems like something it’d be hard to give up. Maybe when I’m 80 or something.....

If I had a crazy busy month and was close to falling short, I’d have to do something like use some sick days and stick to shorter films just to reach 100.
Old 10-17-18, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I've been trucking along this month and am currently at 44 entries. I've never hit close to 100, usually fizzling out in the 60-70 range. However, I'm really trying to push myself to finish the checklist without using entries for multiple checks, and I'll have to do better than usual to get that done. The checklist feels massive!

Thankfully, my job is a low-key desk one that allows me to watch movies on my extra monitor as I order and process books, or I wouldn't be able to get as high as I have. Added bonus: I get to have conversations with coworkers that start "what the hell are you watching?"
Old 10-17-18, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I've been trucking along this month and am currently at 44 entries. I've never hit close to 100, usually fizzling out in the 60-70 range. However, I'm really trying to push myself to finish the checklist without using entries for multiple checks, and I'll have to do better than usual to get that done. The checklist feels massive!

Thankfully, my job is a low-key desk one that allows me to watch movies on my extra monitor as I order and process books, or I wouldn't be able to get as high as I have. Added bonus: I get to have conversations with coworkers that start "what the hell are you watching?"
Yes, I've started looking at it now, and I'm close to having a coherent game plan. I was planning on using 2-3 duplicates, but I'll more than likely go the long way home and go without duplicates.

Yikes Chad! That Zombie link on the checklist is broken!

Drunk horror on the checklist? Need to be drunk to watch it, or characters are drinking / drunk?

Last edited by WillieMLF; 10-17-18 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-17-18, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Cheers. If anyone needs a pep talk there's still plenty of time, you guys can pull this off. Call in for a day and veg at home - I've seen people list up to 12 movies in a day before, which is a lot but it can be really nice to just lounge around all day sometimes. Seth is at 44 and clckworang at 47 - those are not 'throw in the towel' mid-month numbers.
I agree. All those type numbers need is a good day or two to get back on track. I "lost" an entire week - only getting in 1 or 2 movies per day - but was able to get back on track with a good Saturday/Sunday binging. I'm currently just over 50 and should be able to hit 100 even with another weekend loss (wife's relatives coming in for the weekend - not horror fans - don't "get" October horror movie watching - I like 'em but wish they'd wait another week to come in as that'd put them in the first weekend in November instead).

Watching older movies can help that tremendously as the bulk of the Universal horror movies, as well as most of the pre 1960 horror movies, are in the 70-80 minute running time range. TV shows also make for good catch up material as the episode lengths lend themselves to spread out viewing more easily than stopping/starting a movie.
Old 10-17-18, 02:31 PM

Felissa Rose, of Sleepaway Camp 1 fame, has one of the most interesting IMDB pages - she is apparently non-stop making movies and was in 16 movies so far this year alone. It is likely these are cameos in smaller indie films but she has turned her brush with fame in Sleepaway Camp into something strangely endless. She's probably a really cool person and appears to have talent, it's just strange to me that she never popped back up into mainstream films and is so prolific.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0741378/?ref_=tt_cl_t1
Old 10-17-18, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF

Drunk horror on the checklist? Need to be drunk to watch it, or characters are drinking / drunk?
That was my suggestion, to check it for when characters are drinking. Somebody raises up a beer? Check.

I haven't been taking advantage of my week off work, mostly because I've been sleeping and trying to heal, but today through the rest of the week should increase my numbers dramatically.
Old 10-17-18, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I too am behind the curve. When Buddy was put to sleep, it kind of took the wind out of my sails for a while. I'm still playing catch up, and am around 39 I think. I just need a few good days to get back on track though.
Old 10-17-18, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Ah, the DaveyJoe method.
Old 10-17-18, 04:19 PM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Felissa Rose, of Sleepaway Camp 1 fame, has one of the most interesting IMDB pages - she is apparently non-stop making movies and was in 16 movies so far this year alone. It is likely these are cameos in smaller indie films but she has turned her brush with fame in Sleepaway Camp into something strangely endless. She's probably a really cool person and appears to have talent, it's just strange to me that she never popped back up into mainstream films and is so prolific.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0741378/?ref_=tt_cl_t1
I met her a few times and she is awesome to talk to. She can't believe how well Sleepaway Camp did and is happy to be getting roles today as a result. She does do mostly small parts but won't be in mainstreams anytime soon. Unless of course Tarantino casts her in something. She is a niche horror actor and takes most parts offered. Eric Roberts does the same thing with over 400 credits and probably 20+ a year but he'll snag the odd big role like Expendables and The Dark Knight.
Old 10-17-18, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

^Saw Felissa last week on Victory Crowley On Demand (Cinemax, I think) She does have good screen presence. I'm guessing she based her character on the casting director for Sleepaway Camp. She's a great storyteller!
Old 10-17-18, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

She's a riot as a guest star on the Sleepaway Camp episode of Joe Bob's Last Drive-In.

Yikes Chad! That Zombie link on the checklist is broken!
It's been corrected.

Also a reminder that the 25th should be Video Nasties on the themes copy/paste.
Old 10-17-18, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

People hating my subset choice is my biggest fear in October.
Old 10-17-18, 09:33 PM

Daemonium: Soldier of the Underworld, streaming on Netflix, is not the best film but a lot of fun. It's a hellacious cosplay display with an obvious green screen quality and daemons that action pose and freeze for cool gunshots; a very ambitious film with a lot of action pop bang popcorn action fun of biblical level. There are homages to Star Wars and Thundercats and an over the top road warrior vibe. Barely horror but I feel it counts, because demons/hell theme, and was a good 'mid-month' cleanser.
Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
People hating my subset choice is my biggest fear in October.
Who Can Kill a Child seems like a safe choice; now if you had the guts to go for something like Killer Tongue...
Old 10-17-18, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who Can Kill a Child seems like a safe choice; now if you had the guts to go for something like Killer Tongue...
My boldest choice was House by the Cemetery. Not everyone loved Bob.
Old 10-17-18, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Daemonium: Soldier of the Underworld, streaming on Netflix, is not the best film but a lot of fun. It's a hellacious cosplay display with an obvious green screen quality and daemons that action pose and freeze for cool gunshots; a very ambitious film with a lot of action pop bang popcorn action fun of biblical level. There are homages to Star Wars and Thundercats and an over the top road warrior vibe. Barely horror but I feel it counts, because demons/hell theme, and was a good 'mid-month' cleanser.Who Can Kill a Child seems like a safe choice; now if you had the guts to go for something like Killer Tongue...
The Killer Tongue was the darling of the 2013 OHMC!
Old 10-17-18, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's how I remember it.
Old 10-18-18, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I was one off in my earlier number. I just hit 39 with a viewing of Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation, on Showtime Beyond. Not quite sure what to make of it. On one hand, I enjoyed it, with most of the movie moving fast. On the other hand, I could also say it's one of the worst in the series.
Old 10-18-18, 12:39 AM

Sacrilege, available on Prime Now, struck me as a great mix of amateur acting with sometimes questionable effects that comes together in a much better way that I could readily explain. Sacrilege throws everything into the mix and some of the scary imagery is effective despite cheap production values and it is 'entertaining' even if it's some half formed hodge podge of stuff hung on the same types of tropes we've become familiar with. The cover art featuring a nun is just shameless marketing with nothing to do with the film. The gradually developing premise takes some iffy tactics but really gels well with some cool twists. Sacrilege left me feeling more uneasy than most other horror films so far this month, but I'm not quite sure why. Maybe your mileage will vary but it was a highlight for me today.
Old 10-18-18, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
My boldest choice was House by the Cemetery. Not everyone loved Bob.
Well Bob is awful but the movie is cool and widely liked so you're good in my book
Old 10-18-18, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Did we do Come Out and Play a few years ago as a theme?
Old 10-18-18, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

day 14
Old 10-18-18, 02:49 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before but I just want to say that Tag on Netflix Streaming is a very unique movie. The first 10 minutes are something I have never seen before and although parts of the movie are uneven and I wasn't particularly impressed with the ending I have to say that I have never seen a movie with this plot before and that is hard for me to say. If anyone else has watched it I would love to hear their thoughts, both good and bad. I heartily recommend this to everyone to at least sample the first 10 minutes.
Old 10-18-18, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by orlmac
I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before but I just want to say that Tag on Netflix Streaming is a very unique movie. The first 10 minutes are something I have never seen before and although parts of the movie are uneven and I wasn't particularly impressed with the ending I have to say that I have never seen a movie with this plot before and that is hard for me to say. If anyone else has watched it I would love to hear their thoughts, both good and bad. I heartily recommend this to everyone to at least sample the first 10 minutes.
The Sion Sono movie? Here is what I wrote about it from my 2016 October Challenge List:

I have yet to see a Sion Sono movie that didn't intrigue me to some degree. And that certainly continues here. Right now, he's probably my favorite "cult" director. And you never really know what you'll get with his movies ... comedy, murder/thriller, ghost horror, musical, action, art-house drama, sci-fi. In a way, this hearkens back to his international breakout Suicide Club (especially with an opening sequence that needs to be seen to be believed). And then it gets strange, shifting realities that left me not knowing where we were going next. And where it ultimately went in the end is something that I'm sure I'll remember (and is still rattling around in my brain). My big quibble is that all the CGI gore looks terribly fake (and isn't that usually the case).
Speaking of Sion Sono, his Amazon Prime series Toyko Vampire Hotel is coming up in my viewing queue soon (as soon as I finish the last couple of episodes of BrainDead).

Last edited by brainee; 10-18-18 at 04:50 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.