Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-18, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

I'm sitting here watching The Sleeper, and all I can think is this is a 2012 movie trying its hardest to be set in the 1980s. How does a puffy jacket make this movie set in the 80s? I think this would have been a score if it had been set in 2018.

Last edited by WillieMLF; 10-07-18 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-07-18, 06:13 AM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Just finished Terrortory (2016). A bunch of lame short stories makes this some terrortory you want to stay away from. Then again I'll probably explore new terrortory with the 2018 sequel.
Old 10-07-18, 07:17 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

Has anyone ever seen Scalps (1983)? I bought the blu ray from 88 Films because the cover was cool and I like Native American themed horror. But the video quality looks really poor on the blu, very low budget. Just wondering if it's worth a watch on slasher day.
Old 10-07-18, 07:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shack
Today I watched Train to Busan - can't believe I haven't seen this one before. I thought it was great.
I loved Train to Busan. Watched it for the challenge last year. I thought the character development was brilliant. First time I've cried (twice) in a horror movie. I was pregnant though so that could have been the hormones
Old 10-07-18, 07:59 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I should have known better, but I binged a bunch of random zombie shorts on Amazon Prime yesterday. A couple of interesting ideas over the hour plus, but for the most part complete crap. From now on, when it comes to shorts, I think I’ll stick to curated collections or award-winning/recommended shorts.
Old 10-07-18, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jholmes
Has anyone ever seen Scalps (1983)? I bought the blu ray from 88 Films because the cover was cool and I like Native American themed horror. But the video quality looks really poor on the blu, very low budget. Just wondering if it's worth a watch on slasher day.
That's pretty much how the movie looks - like garbage. And sadly that's pretty much how I think the movie plays out too. I really wanted to like the movie because as you said it has a great cover and the premise is awesome but it's just an absolute bore. You own it though, may as well give it a shot and maybe you'll enjoy it more
Old 10-07-18, 09:52 AM

Thanks SethDLH. (for some reason, I'm having trouble quoting right now)

That's a bummer. The premise is appealing. I'll have to dig around the web for some better Native American themed horror. I'm hoping Nightwing and Shadow on the Hawk are decent. Still waiting on the pre-ordered blu ray.

Speaking of: I watched The Burrowers (2008) a few weeks ago and it has and old west/native american theme. I recommend it if you're looking for something like that.

Last edited by jholmes; 10-07-18 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-07-18, 10:40 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Watched the OG Halloween early this year since I plan on seeing the new one next week. It better be good.
Old 10-07-18, 10:53 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy24LA
Watched the OG Halloween early this year since I plan on seeing the new one next week. It better be good.
Same here pretty much. Watched the original last month, and H2O the other day.
Old 10-07-18, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Well, I think I'm the only person who hasn't seen Annabelle.
I haven't seen it either, looking forward to it this year. Hopefully can fit it in.
Old 10-07-18, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know I've been absent a lot for discussion in this challenge (and most the building portion), but why is Dr. Cyclops, a Paramount picture, the subset on Universal Monsters day? I'm sure I'm just missing a simple connection that I can't seem to make right this moment.
Old 10-07-18, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I know I've been absent a lot for discussion in this challenge (and most the building portion), but why is Dr. Cyclops, a Paramount picture, the subset on Universal Monsters day? I'm sure I'm just missing a simple connection that I can't seem to make right this moment.
Per wikipeia:

Like some other studios, Paramount saw little value in its film library, and sold 764 of its pre-1948 films to MCA Inc./EMKA, Ltd. (known today as Universal Television) in February 1958.
Plus it's part of The Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection Volume 2, which is a Universal box set.
Old 10-07-18, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks SethDLH. (for some reason, I'm having trouble quoting right now)

That's a bummer. The premise is appealing. I'll have to dig around the web for some better Native American themed horror. I'm hoping Nightwing and Shadow on the Hawk are decent. Still waiting on the pre-ordered blu ray.

Speaking of: I watched The Burrowers (2008) a few weeks ago and it has and old west/native american theme. I recommend it if you're looking for something like that.
Have you checked out Bone Tomahawk? It's a western horror from a couple years ago that is awesome.
Old 10-07-18, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Per wikipeia:

Plus it's part of The Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection Volume 2, which is a Universal box set.
Ah, cool, thanks for the prompt follow-up!
Old 10-07-18, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Well, I think I'm the only person who hasn't seen Annabelle.
Nope. I've not see it. With all the talk I looked it up. Based on the description I'm not likely to see it unless visiting someone who starts it up as it's not a type of film I typically like ("living" dolls/puppets of any type).
Old 10-07-18, 03:11 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Today I watched The Phantom of the Opera from 1925. It's pretty good and I was surprised that the Phantom was actually pretty creepy. Definitely different than the 2004 musical version. In the new one I didn't find the Phantom frightening or creepy at all. I feel like the 2004 version was definitely more romance than anything else. The 1925 version is definitely worth watching.
Old 10-07-18, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lrend
Today I watched The Phantom of the Opera from 1925. It's pretty good and I was surprised that the Phantom was actually pretty creepy. Definitely different than the 2004 musical version. In the new one I didn't find the Phantom frightening or creepy at all. I feel like the 2004 version was definitely more romance than anything else. The 1925 version is definitely worth watching.
IMHO the 1925 Phantom... is the best filmed version of the story. Universal continues to miss the bus by not including it in their "Classic Monsters" collections in favor of the rather lack luster 1943 film (its big claim to fame is mostly that it uses some sets from the 1925 movie so you get to see them in color). That 2004 film strips the horror out of the story and pretty much makes it a romantic musical. It's one of the worst examples of this story on film.
Old 10-07-18, 04:04 PM
Cool New Member

I just watched Demon Hole (2017) which is another one of those "Oops we drilled to hell by accident and released demons" films that ends up being not too bad. The ending is up for debate but you can't have your cake ...
Old 10-07-18, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Grave Robbers was a surprisingly light-hearted comedic romp considering it deals with necrophilia and has great quotes like "It's safe sex cause we can't get AIDS from dead people.". It's basically Dead & Buried meets Nekromantik, but funny. Where does Vinegar Syndrome unearth these?
Old 10-07-18, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

As I rip open my Universal Dracula Blu-ray Legacy set, I immediately notice both "House of Frankenstein" and "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" are also in the Frankenstein set. And they barely acknowledge the far superior (IMO) Spanish Dracula, other than as a bonus feature. That film gets zero respect.
Old 10-07-18, 05:59 PM
Cool New Member

15. Bigfoot Horror Camp (2017) This is a chopped up version of another film that shows people watching other chopped up films! There is a little nudity squeezed in this 50 minute epic but not much horror camp as Bigfoot terrorizes a nudist colony. Try another camp. 1/5.
Old 10-07-18, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Chad
As I rip open my Universal Dracula Blu-ray Legacy set, I immediately notice both "House of Frankenstein" and "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" are also in the Frankenstein set. And they barely acknowledge the far superior (IMO) Spanish Dracula, other than as a bonus feature. That film gets zero respect.
I noticed there were a number of dupes across the packages. I was going to get the "complete" set of 30-something films at $165 but it went out of print before I could get it. I guess there was an error on one of the disc and they're going to reprint them.
Old 10-07-18, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I noticed there were a number of dupes across the packages. I was going to get the "complete" set of 30-something films at $165 but it went out of print before I could get it. I guess there was an error on one of the disc and they're going to reprint them.
Yes. The film "Revenge of the Creature" was mastered incorrectly causing loss of resolution on both the 3D and 2D versions. As soon as it was discovered (well... it was a holiday weekend and took almost a week) Universal pulled all copies and put a replacement program in place for those who'd already received defective copies. It's supposed to be back out in time for Halloween. I read on another site that the updated, corrected, sets will sport a new UPC - both the individual "Creature from the Black Lagoon Legacy" release and the "Complete" set.

They have the same number of dups across the DVD sets. It was done so people who like a particular monster but maybe not another can get one set that has all the films in which that particular monster appeared. That means several duplicates of some films if you purchase several sets and especially in the complete set. People have complained but I don't get it. So you get dups if you purchase them all. Big deal. These sets are still great bargains.
Old 10-07-18, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Fun night of horror movie watching at the theater. Only wish they had food trucks or something to really eat as it might have helped keep me up. They started off the night probably around 8:30 with From Dusk to Dawn which I wasn't too thrilled about when I found out a few days ago, but after watching it again, I liked it better than I thought. And it's a fun crowd film. They sold out the entire theater, thinking around 320-360 people and at $20/ticket, not too shabby for a nonprofit theater (not counting all the drinks, soda, candy, popcorn, shirts, pins, and donated cupcakes they sold which probably easily made over $10k that night).

From there, since they have two theaters, they offered different choices. It was either Pet Sematary or Shaun of the Dead which was one of the harder choices that night. Ended up seeing Pet Sematary just to see it on the big screen and wanted a bit more horror than laughs since the first film had laughs.

Next up was either Dawn of the Dead (new one) or Insidious. Not a HUGE fan of either of those, but decided to see Dawn because I've seen Insidious a handful of times including in the theaters.

From there, I was starting to feel it. Having woke up a bit early to work some OT and not taking a nap, I was feeling a bit drained and the coffee did not help. Not an energy drink person either as it leaves me jittery more than anything. Luckily the next round of films was another hard choice between Bettlejuice and Friday the 13th III in 3-D. As much as I wanted to see Bettlejuice, couldn't pass up the old school 3-D glasses. Sadly, maybe about 2/3rd's into the movie, my eyes had enough and I started to dooze off and missed when Jason got his mask.

Was really hoping for something amazing to keep me up, but I think this is where they kind of screwed up as the choice was between Blade 2 and 30 Days of Night. Since I haven't seen the first Blade ended up watching 30 Days of Night. It started off ok and I was semi interested to see where the movie was going, but there was way too much dialogue and I ended up passing out.

It was now 7 AM and supposed to end at 8 AM so it ended up turning into a 13 hour thing as the last movie was Poltergeist. After the first movie, I walked outside for a bit and as divine intervention would have it, ran into an old coworker from a few years ago and ended up hanging out with as we both came alone. I looked up the runtime, 2 hours, and since we weren't too thrilled on the film, it's good but 2 hours was too long, we ended up leaving.

Overall a fun night, but wish they had some real food options and a few more better selections. Last year, they had Evil Dead to open with Evil Dead 2 to close and they only had 1 time to decide between two films, but a better selection like The Witch and The Blair Witch Project or Cabin the Woods and Sleepaway Camp. Wish I had gone the year before but I will be back next year. Heard there is something like this in the Inland Empire and Los Angeles that I want to look into as well. And this theater will be playing old school horror films throughout October so I'll probably be back.
Old 10-07-18, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chad
I'm not much of a fan of the Spanish Dracula, much preferring the Lugosi version. BUT I agree about its placement on that disc. It deserves more than inclusion as a "bonus" feature. Either a disc of its own or at least a presence on the main menu like all the other 2 film discs in these releases.

FWIW, House of Frankenstein and Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein as well as House of Dracula are also in "The Wolf Man Legacy" set. If you own all three sets, or the "Complete" edition, you have 3 copies of each of those films.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.