Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-18, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Had a problem loading day 2s video.. so late, but here is day 2

Old 10-03-18, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Watched Hell House, LLC... it was okay at best... watched the second one and was pleasantly surprised. Second one is down right creepy. I don't say that often as outside the unusual jump scare, I dont frighten. Part two had me turning on the lights as i went to bed.
Old 10-03-18, 08:41 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkgod
Watched Hell House, LLC... it was okay at best... watched the second one and was pleasantly surprised. Second one is down right creepy. I don't say that often as outside the unusual jump scare, I dont frighten. Part two had me turning on the lights as i went to bed.
Really? I thought the first one was well-done and quite scary, so now I want to see the second one even more.
Old 10-03-18, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Pleasantly surprised by Secrets of Emily Blair on Netflix, it's a routine enough possession film with some but with a bit more situational drama and sly humor than average with a woman on the eve of her marriage navigating all the parties and family meetings while demonically infested. It actually seemed less appealing to me as it went on and her condition worsened into more generic full archetype exorcism mode.
Originally Posted by jholmes
My favorite was Mill of the Stone Women. I picked up a German import blu ray on ebay and it's gorgeous. One of the best Euro gothic movies I've seen.
Mill of the Stone Women is the classic of horror movies no one has ever seen before. Definitely needs more attention.
Old 10-03-18, 10:45 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
I just got a reminder of how my DVD buying was out of control in the 2000's. Even though I upgraded it to Blu Ray, I thought I still had a DVD of Cronos around to lend to someone (who didn't have a Blu Ray player). So I dig it out and it turns out instead of the Guillermo del Toro movie I have this:

which was a 1985 art-house photography movie. I must've bought the wrong movie 15 years ago and never even noticed because I never got around to watching the majority of stuff I purchased. How could I have not even noticed the cover was wrong?!? I even filed it away alphabetically under "Cronos" and made a note in a database that I owned the del Toro movie. Jesus ... I wonder what other mysteries I have in my giant unwatched DVD collection?
I just had the same experience. I was sure that I had the movie The Lift for the elevator theme night but after much searching it turned out to be some travel movie or something. I was extremely unhappy about that!
Old 10-03-18, 10:46 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Blood Harvest is brutal to get through. I watched it on Shudder vs buying the blu ray. thank god. When your only redeeming feature is Tiny Tim, you got issues.
Old 10-03-18, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
I just got a reminder of how my DVD buying was out of control in the 2000's. Even though I upgraded it to Blu Ray, I thought I still had a DVD of Cronos around to lend to someone (who didn't have a Blu Ray player). So I dig it out and it turns out instead of the Guillermo del Toro movie I have this:

which was a 1985 art-house photography movie. I must've bought the wrong movie 15 years ago and never even noticed because I never got around to watching the majority of stuff I purchased. How could I have not even noticed the cover was wrong?!? I even filed it away alphabetically under "Cronos" and made a note in a database that I owned the del Toro movie. Jesus ... I wonder what other mysteries I have in my giant unwatched DVD collection?
^^This sounds like something I would do.

Man this thread is moving, and I've only ignored it for one day. There are some really great suggestions going on here, and I need a few hours to try and get my checklist in order before things go all to hell. Keep those suggestions coming. Watching Blood Beach, and I really love that Run Run Shaw is somehow connected to this gem. We really need a blu release of this movie. Finished up Little Evil this morning on the bus, and yes it was pretty cute and funny.
Old 10-03-18, 11:44 AM

Films based underwater and around the water will never get old to me; atmospheric underwater photography is captivating. It's a little disappointing that aquatic environments are so closely tied with killer shark flicks (which are not my taste).
Old 10-03-18, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I watched a made-for-TV movie called Tarantulas: The Deadly Cargo which is definitely a Jaws knock-off, right down to a cantankerous mayor who wants to endanger people to keep the local economy safe and an outlandish plan to kill the threat. Since it's a made-for-TV affair, the horror is kinda minimal, but ramps up when a group of people are caught in a dark warehouse with a mob of spiders. I'd recommend if you need a reprise from gore or if you find spiders scary.
Old 10-03-18, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

So started my Ash/Evil Dead marathon and pulled out my old Anchor Bay Book of the Dead DVD. It's looking pretty worse for wear with pieces now crumbling and big cracks in it. How are yours fairing all these years on?
Old 10-03-18, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Watched the Synape Suspiria blu. Top notch visuals. Sound seemed uneven to me but I think that has always been that way due to the dub. But somehow, I like the movie less each time I watch it.
Old 10-03-18, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
So started my Ash/Evil Dead marathon and pulled out my old Anchor Bay Book of the Dead DVD. It's looking pretty worse for wear with pieces now crumbling and big cracks in it. How are yours fairing all these years on?
I still have my Army Of Darkness blu ray, but one of my boxers destroyed my Blu Ray of Evil Dead 2.

After playing some horror video game, with Alien vs Predator Pinball, I decided to take a day to binge Challenge viewing the rest of the day. So far I've seen two cartoons. Earlier I watched Scooby Doo! Pirates Ahoy!, on Boomerang. That was a first time view too, my third in three days. I just finished watching a Halloween episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, on Disney Junior too.
Old 10-03-18, 01:02 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
I have the Book of the Dead versions for 1 and 2 and they are both cracked and have lost pieces along the spine.

Anchor Bay shouldn't have cheaped out and instead bound the things in human flesh.
Old 10-03-18, 01:38 PM

I feel spoiled for choice tonight since I love creature features, and since my NIGHTWING blu ray didn't come yet, I'm feeling indecisive. I've seen Tremors but I might watch it since it's been so long I don't feel I can honestly cross it off my "They Shoot Zombies" list. The Swarm is another option. I love those 70's disaster movies though I'm sure, based on reviews, it's not very good. I've seen the original Piranha but not Piranha 3D. Choices, choices.
Old 10-03-18, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I can definitely recommend 47 Meters Down on Netflix. It's about two sisters on vacation in Mexico who decide to go on a shark viewing excursion and get stuck in a cage . . . 47 meters down. It's a solid action film that had me on the edge of my seat the entire time.

Originally Posted by mallratcal
I have the Book of the Dead versions for 1 and 2 and they are both cracked and have lost pieces along the spine.

Anchor Bay shouldn't have cheaped out and instead bound the things in human flesh.
Mine are falling apart as well. I removed the discs for fear the chemical fumes from the decomposition of the plastic might damage them.

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I watched a made-for-TV movie called Tarantulas: The Deadly Cargo which is definitely a Jaws knock-off, right down to a cantankerous mayor who wants to endanger people to keep the local economy safe and an outlandish plan to kill the threat. .
This has been on Svengoolie a couple of times over the past year. I thought it was a lot of wasted potential, like most made-for-TV movies.
Old 10-03-18, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I Drink Your Blood was a crazy grindhouse flick from the 70s that felt like Night of the Living Dead meets the Manson Family. A group of hippies are hanging out in a small town and terrorizing the locals when a kid finds a way to infect them with rabies as retaliation. The final act is appropriately Gonzo.

I wasn't expecting much from it but I found it pretty entertaining, and the Grindhouse Releasing Blu-ray looked great.
Old 10-03-18, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I feel spoiled for choice tonight since I love creature features, and since my NIGHTWING blu ray didn't come yet, I'm feeling indecisive. I've seen Tremors but I might watch it since it's been so long I don't feel I can honestly cross it off my "They Shoot Zombies" list. The Swarm is another option. I love those 70's disaster movies though I'm sure, based on reviews, it's not very good. I've seen the original Piranha but not Piranha 3D. Choices, choices.
There's always Bats (1999), if you have your heart set on a bat creature feature. I think it's reputation is undeserved. The Swarm is pure 70's cheese, but hey, Michael Caine and Katharine Ross.
Old 10-03-18, 02:09 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by mallratcal

With the dozens of editions of the Evil Dead films, are we sure this hasn’t happened?
Old 10-03-18, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Ataud Blanco (White Coffin) was a pretty tense road movie about child abduction that veers into supernatural territory (while throwing logic out the window). This one didn't hold back, and it's only 70 minutes.

And already I've caught an accidental rewatch--Horror House on Highway 5. Another possibly LSD-inspired oddity from Vinegar Syndrome that's completely devoid of a plot. A killer in Richard Nixon mask (credited as Ronald Reagan), a Jennifer Lawrence doppelganger, invisible whipping noises straight out of Phantasm, bumbling Nazi brothers, etc. I actually enjoyed this mess of a movie. Great soundtrack too.
Old 10-03-18, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
There's always Bats (1999), if you have your heart set on a bat creature feature. I think it's reputation is undeserved. The Swarm is pure 70's cheese, but hey, Michael Caine and Katharine Ross.
Yes, I think I will do Bats today. It was on my list to watch with Nightwing, which I don't have, but I can do Bats. Just for Lou Diamond Phillips.

Everything's sounding good to me right now. Probably by the end of the month that will no longer be the case. :-)

47 meters down looks good too, but I'm not a fan of claustrophobic films. They stray into the painful end of tension for me. I hate small spaces! Gravity was like that.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
Old 10-03-18, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gobear
I can definitely recommend 47 Meters Down on Netflix. It's about two sisters on vacation in Mexico who decide to go on a shark viewing excursion and get stuck in a cage . . . 47 meters down. It's a solid action film that had me on the edge of my seat the entire time.
47 meters down looks good too, but I'm not a fan of claustrophobic films. They stray into the painful end of tension for me. I hate small spaces! Gravity was like that.
I watched 47 Meters Down and though it was serviceable. The underwater setting was a nice murky blue complete with often floating sand particles, overall the sort of just well lit enough dim that makes me suspect a stage so didn't feel 'claustrophobic' to me. I did find the last half of 47 Meters Down to be better than the lead-in and much more tense.
Old 10-03-18, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
It's satirical. This picture doesn't actually condone violence to women.
Wait till you see what Blood Beach thinks of rapists.
Old 10-03-18, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I can't wait. I've also got The Great Alligator lined up to fit the theme. Both will be first-time-viewings for me.
Old 10-03-18, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
:-) Best scene in the movie.
Old 10-03-18, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Please welcome in their very first year of sponsorship, Vinegar Syndrome

Prize details coming soon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.