Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 10-01-18, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

I'm getting off to a *very* slow start. My son and his family are in town this week so I'm spending most of my free time playing with his kids (ages 2, 4, & 6) or playing board games with him and my oldest grandson (daughter's kid - he's 15). We played "Blood Rage" tonight - no, it's not gory... it's about Viking conquests and dying gloriously when Ragnarok appears at the end of eras.

Anyway... I started last night with a single movie: Messiah of Evil. I've only seen MC P&S versions before and wasn't sure I wanted to spend upwards of $25 on a BR copy so when a used DVD (the Code Red SE) for ~$12 came up I purchased a copy. I enjoyed it much more in this superior DVD version but that Code Red version is pretty good so I don't think I "need" the upgrade.

Tonight is a first time viewing of Fulci's "City of the Living Dead." This one is the older, 2007, Blue Underground release.
Old 10-02-18, 12:41 AM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Disney's Hocus Pocus and Nightmare Before Christmas are each $4.99 at iTunes right now. It's probably a misprice. They should be $9.99. So grab them quick.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/id329144864

https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/id281660706

Both movies are Movies Anywhere, so they'll transfer to all the other streaming services.
Old 10-02-18, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Day 1 in the books

https://youtu.be/xV_Z-HCXHFQ
Old 10-02-18, 06:08 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by lrend
I just watched Little Evil. It's been on my to-watch list since last year. It was different than I expected and I really enjoyed it. It was funny without being over the top. It may be one that I watch every year.
I enjoyed Little Evil when I watched it a few months ago. Interesting little twist and well done.

Thanks to Cult Epic and Seth for the awesome prizes.

Last edited by jholmes; 10-02-18 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-02-18, 06:15 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

I’m aiming for exactly 100 films this year, but also at least 100 comic book in our 5th annual DVDTalk Horror Comic Book Reading Challenge.
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book...er-2018-a.html
Old 10-02-18, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JAX036
That is the best thing I've seen today. I need one to brighten up my work days!
It's something like $9 on Amazon. Well worth the money to be festive!

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I'm hoping to use this challenge to get my mind off things. We went to the vet today, since one of our boxers was going downhill fast. He didn't come home with us.
That sucks. Ever since I moved to my new house I've been dreaming about my Aussie we had to put down a couple years ago. Not sure why, but it's nice to get visits from her while settling into an unfamiliar place.
Old 10-02-18, 08:47 AM

Bummer. I ordered the new Nightwing/Shadow of the Hawk blu ray and planned to watch Nightwing and Bats for Jawsploitation. (someone else's suggestion in a previous thread). But the Nightwing blu won't be out til Oct 16th. I'll have to substitute.

For some reason, I had my theme nights order all screwed up. Maybe they changed after the first iteration. Just had to re-org my excel to match the subset list in the thread. Screwed up a few of my pre-orders which are coming out during Oct but it's all good!
Old 10-02-18, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Got an email from Severin today about the limited edition blu Blood Island Collection (BRIDES OF BLOOD, MAD DOCTOR OF BLOOD ISLAND, BEAST OF BLOOD, & TERROR IS A MAN), so I went ahead and bit for the box set. I've seen trailers for one or more of them, so it's not exactly a blind buy. Won't be here until November, though, so I'll crack the box for the next Challenge.
Watched the low quality youtube versions last year. Went ahead and placed an order for them, as I had a good bit of fun with them.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I'm hoping to use this challenge to get my mind off things. We went to the vet today, since one of our boxers was going downhill fast. He didn't come home with us.
Really sorry to hear this shadokitty. Losing a pet is such a difficult thing, and I'm sorry to hear about your loss.
Old 10-02-18, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by jholmes
I enjoyed Little Evil when I watched it a few months ago. Interesting little twist and well done.
I've been running through my Netflix queue this week and I've got Little Evil up soon. There are some pretty good choices, as I've liked the ones I've seen so far: 13 Cameras and When Animals Dream.

Thanks SethDHL and CultEpics for the great prizes.
Old 10-02-18, 11:26 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Undeadcow has already mentioned a Thai film but I'm still going to throw in my recommendation for Phobia 2 streaming on Netflix. It's an anthology and so it's uneven as you would expect but I found something good in every story and really liked most of them. It's a good way to get one of the foreign language films if you don't speak Thai.
Old 10-02-18, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

Got an email from Severin today about the limited edition blu Blood Island Collection (BRIDES OF BLOOD, MAD DOCTOR OF BLOOD ISLAND, BEAST OF BLOOD, & TERROR IS A MAN), so I went ahead and bit for the box set. I've seen trailers for one or more of them, so it's not exactly a blind buy. Won't be here until November, though, so I'll crack the box for the next Challenge.
I saw that announcement on DVD Drive-in! and thought it sounded interesting. Certainly worth consideration. I own a
DVD copy DVD copy
of Terror is a Man, which is not bad... not great but not the worst either. It reminds me quite a bit of The Island of Dr. Moreau in its overall theme. I don't think I've seen any of the other 3 movies in the set.
Old 10-02-18, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

The Maus, available on Netflix, is well made; nicely ambiguous with hints at terror mixing machismo and paranoia and a dash of sly situational humor played straight. It had me reviewing Bosnia War details because it's very relative to that conflict but a very tense character based horror film. The ending is a bit of a head scratcher but leaves you thinking.
Originally Posted by orlmac
Undeadcow has already mentioned a Thai film but I'm still going to throw in my recommendation for Phobia 2 streaming on Netflix. It's an anthology and so it's uneven as you would expect but I found something good in every story and really liked most of them. It's a good way to get one of the foreign language films if you don't speak Thai.
I'm planning on checking out Phobia 2 on Anthology day. I can't decide if I like that Netflix has so many oddball foreign films or if they're just cheaper filler for the catalog (so many end up lukewarm at best but finding a gem sometimes makes it worth it). Edit: This sounds biased against films just because they're foreign, but I like foreign films and ultimately it's probably a good thing these are on Netflix since it's not like there's any chance of finding them anywhere else which goes to show how limited popular cinema and mass media is.

Anthology films I usually enjoy but every year I end up feeling like there are not that many of them; then a Phobia 2 comes along.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-02-18 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-02-18, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Anthology films I usually enjoy but every year I end up feeling like there are not that many of them; then a Phobia 2 comes along.
I think I'll do Phobia 2 as well. I was hoping to do the new blu ray of Trilogy of Terror, but it's not shipping until Oct 16th. Looking forward to both of these.
Old 10-02-18, 01:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Any reason for the Sharknado movies not counting towards the Jawsploitation theme day? I haven't seen the last few but will check something else out first if they won't count.
Old 10-02-18, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm leaning toward Chillerama (2011) tonight, though The Nightmare (Der Nachtmahr) (2015) on Shudder is also on my radar. Either way the movie will be followed by an episode of Shiki and maybe an episode of Night Warriors: Darkstalker's Revenge: Alpha or Iria: Zeiram the Animation (depending on which I find first).
Old 10-02-18, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by JAX036
Any reason for the Sharknado movies not counting towards the Jawsploitation theme day? I haven't seen the last few but will check something else out first if they won't count.
None whatsoever. I've added them to the list.

And FYI, with the exception of a few, that list was taken from a now defunct Jawsploitation website, so some of the more recent titles may not be on there.
Old 10-02-18, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chad
None whatsoever. I've added them to the list.

And FYI, with the exception of a few, that list was taken from a now defunct Jawsploitation website, so some of the more recent titles may not be on there.
Does basically any "killer animal" / "killer insect" count?
Old 10-02-18, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

For the third challenge in a row, still working through my Dark Shadows complete original series Barnabas coffin set! I cracked the set open for the 2016 challenge, was up to episodes in the 500's for 2017, and this year I'm up to the 790's.

Everyone seems to get a creative jolt from time travel, and the 1890's has been a fun setting. Barnabas gets to be a vampire again, Angelique the witch is back, Reverend Trask gets to chew more scenery, Laura the fire Phoenix demon is back, Quentin Collins has dialog. Throw in a werewolf, a warlock, a zombie, an evil disembodied hand, gypsy curses, ghosts, a Manchurian Candidate story, a Gaslight story, a madwoman locked in a closet (riffing on Jane Eyre) ... lots of fun stuff (and I'm probably overlooking a bunch of stuff). And the positive of going to a different time is that regular cast members can really die at any moment since they're playing different characters.
Old 10-02-18, 05:02 PM
Cool New Member

Just finished Day Of The Reaper (1984). It's pretty good for one of Tim Ritter's first flicks. Shot in Super-8.
Old 10-02-18, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As long as the movie is exploitative in it's ripping off the Jaws idea, so most likely yes. IMO I would count Sharknado (obviously) and the more knowingly rip-off Jawsploitation classics like Orca the Killer Whale and Piranha. But for me I wouldn't count something like Slither since that's a very unique story idea. But Bees or Grizzly would be a yes.
Old 10-02-18, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

My copy of Blue Sunshine won't arrive until tomorrow.

I have a couple other movies that will fit the theme but I hate getting behind in the subset picks so early in the month.
Old 10-02-18, 06:40 PM

Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts

I'm leaning toward Chillerama (2011) tonight, though The Nightmare (Der Nachtmahr) (2015) on Shudder is also on my radar. Either way the movie will be followed by an episode of Shiki and maybe an episode of Night Warriors: Darkstalker's Revenge: Alpha or Iria: Zeiram the Animation (depending on which I find first).
My advice: skip Chillerama. I found it to be a long slog up a steep, muddy hill. However, if you like the kind of stuff that Full Moon and Troma regularly release, you might find it tolerable.
Old 10-02-18, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
As long as the movie is exploitative in it's ripping off the Jaws idea, so most likely yes. IMO I would count Sharknado (obviously) and the more knowingly rip-off Jawsploitation classics like Orca the Killer Whale and Piranha. But for me I wouldn't count something like Slither since that's a very unique story idea. But Bees or Grizzly would be a yes.
It's odd there's not more info online about Jawsploitation; not even a Wikipedia or GCDb entry. But according to this article, they fizzled out in the late '80s and were made popular again in 1999 with Deep Blue Sea.

As well as this from Alamo:
Spoiler:
In the May of 1974, a young Steven Spielberg stood rocking back and forth in a rented crew boat, his cameras pointed at the waters off the coast of Martha’s Vineyard. After everything settled, Spielberg called “ACTION!” on the first shot of his latest film, and the gigantic foam great white shark that was supposed to leap out of the water seized up, malfunctioned, and sank to the bottom of the ocean.

It was the beginning of a new era for Hollywood.

Despite its famously insane production - JAWS leapt into the canon of great American films like a 25-foot-great white crippling a shoddy sea vessel, cementing its place as an all-time pop-horror classic. For a filmmaking feat of brazen talent, luck, and stupidity, JAWS was lighting in a bottle - a seemingly impossible film to top.

Did that stop anyone from trying? Of course not! This is showbiz.

The challenge of capturing the success of JAWS drew enterprising exploitation filmmakers (with cartoon dollar signs in their eyes) like a bloody cloud of chum in the water. From the sunny shores of Italy to the Florida coast, they released a veritable cinematic horde of fish, bears, hogs, snakes, crabs, and other giant beasties from the sleazy depths of their colorful imaginations. The collective effort of these filmmakers to own a piece of shark mania resulted in one of the great “sploitation” waves of the late 20th century - JAWSPLOITATION. With budgets one-zillionth the size of Spielberg’s, Jawsploitation films thrived on sheer lunatic creativity, a pulpy sense of fun, and dirt cheap thrills, while recognizing the heart of what made JAWS an undisputed classic - seeing people being eaten by gigantic, fake-looking monsters.

And all that remains of the old Jaws Ripoff Library:

https://www.facebook.com/Jawsripofflibrary/
Old 10-02-18, 06:42 PM

Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
My copy of Blue Sunshine won't arrive until tomorrow.

I have a couple other movies that will fit the theme but I hate getting behind in the subset picks so early in the month.
Blue Sunshine is available on Shudder; if you don't have a subscription, I recommend getting one as soon as possible. It's a steal at $5 a month.
Old 10-02-18, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brainee
For the third challenge in a row, still working through my Dark Shadows complete original series Barnabas coffin set! I cracked the set open for the 2016 challenge, was up to episodes in the 500's for 2017, and this year I'm up to the 790's.

Everyone seems to get a creative jolt from time travel, and the 1890's has been a fun setting. Barnabas gets to be a vampire again, Angelique the witch is back, Reverend Trask gets to chew more scenery, Laura the fire Phoenix demon is back, Quentin Collins has dialog. Throw in a werewolf, a warlock, a zombie, an evil disembodied hand, gypsy curses, ghosts, a Manchurian Candidate story, a Gaslight story, a madwoman locked in a closet (riffing on Jane Eyre) ... lots of fun stuff (and I'm probably overlooking a bunch of stuff). And the positive of going to a different time is that regular cast members can really die at any moment since they're playing different characters.
Back in February I finished off the set after just over two years. Miss it already. I was planning on catching the 1991 series during the challenge, but didn't wanna pay the outlandish OOP prices.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.