Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 09-12-18, 08:39 PM

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by Chad View Post

Gotta love Vinegar Syndrome.
A Tiny Tim horror movie is coming to Bluray, what an age we live in!
Old 09-12-18, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by jholmes View Post
I pre-ordered that because I remember it very fondly. I thought the cover was cool. But you're right, it's spoilery.
If it came out in 1975..is it really spoilery lol. I'm sure they thought most people who would pick it up have seen it before.
Old 09-13-18, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
It feels good to be a (blu-ray) subscriber.
I subscribed to the 6-month plan for the first time this year. Best decision ever. Wish all the labels offered this.

And bonus: they'll ship out mid-October.

Originally Posted by mallratcal View Post
A Tiny Tim horror movie is coming to Bluray, what an age we live in!
I know, right? That's one of countless reasons I love 'em.
Old 09-13-18, 07:02 AM

I subscribed to the 6-month plan for the first time this year. Best decision ever. Wish all the labels offered this.
Is that a deal they only offer ocassionally? Because I didn't see it on their website.
Old 09-13-18, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is that a deal they only offer ocassionally? Because I didn't see it on their website.
It is a time limited seasonal offer. On Black Friday, and in the Summer, Vinegar Syndrome offers a 'subscription' package where you can buy in advance to receive all releases (blu only or to include dvd) for the coming year, or 6 months. I think VS usually ends up over delivering by releasing more than expected (such as 5 blus this October).
Old 09-13-18, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
It is a time limited seasonal offer. On Black Friday, and in the Summer, Vinegar Syndrome offers a 'subscription' package where you can buy in advance to receive all releases (blu only or to include dvd) for the coming year, or 6 months. I think VS usually ends up over delivering by releasing more than expected (such as 5 blus this October).
Thanks. I'll look for it at Thanksgiving.
Old 09-13-18, 09:12 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Does anyone mind sharing what you paid and what you received for those subscriptions? This month looks interesting. 5 films each with one of Tiny Tim, Cindy Williams, John Cassavetes, Samuel L. Jackson, and Thora Birch(‘s father)? Nice! But $98 for that is too pricey. How much would it have been on a subscription plan?
Old 09-13-18, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Does anyone mind sharing what you paid and what you received for those subscriptions? This month looks interesting. 5 films each with one of Tiny Tim, Cindy Williams, John Cassavetes, Samuel L. Jackson, and Thora Birch(‘s father)? Nice! But $98 for that is too pricey. How much would it have been on a subscription plan?
I found a thread on another site that gives some prices. Hope it's okay to post a link to another site here:
http://www.horrordvds.com/community/....44094/page-87

My issue is that, while the packaging is super cool, I only really want to see half or so of the movies. Many of them look a little more B-grade than I usually care for, like ranked in the 4's on imdb. But I guess I could always sell the ones I wasn't interested in. The ones I *am* interested in look awesome and it would be nice to get them early. I watched "Incubus" last year on Amazon and I really liked it.

The Hearse looks interesting, despite being ranked at 4.8 on imdb. The plot sounds like something I'd like and it has Joseph Cotton. Has anyone seen it?

Last edited by jholmes; 09-13-18 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-13-18, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Hearse looks interesting, despite being ranked at 4.8 on imdb. The plot sounds like something I'd like and it has Joseph Cotton. Has anyone seen it?
I watched it for the last Challenge. I was kinda underwhelmed. All the parts were there, but it never seemed to gel. Mind you that's me; YMMV.
Old 09-13-18, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by coyoteblue View Post
I watched it for the last Challenge. I was kinda underwhelmed. All the parts were there, but it never seemed to gel. Mind you that's me; YMMV.
Thanks for the mini review. :-)
Old 09-13-18, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by coyoteblue View Post
Pretty much my take as well, iirc.
Old 09-13-18, 01:34 PM

And bonus: they'll ship out mid-October.

I know, right? That's one of countless reasons I love 'em.
I'm kicking myself a bit for not subscribing this year.
Old 09-13-18, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone mind sharing what you paid and what you received for those subscriptions? This month looks interesting. 5 films each with one of Tiny Tim, Cindy Williams, John Cassavetes, Samuel L. Jackson, and Thora Birch(Ďs father)? Nice! But $98 for that is too pricey. How much would it have been on a subscription plan?
Like Chad, I got the Halfway to Black Friday package which includes all of the Blu-Ray releases from June through December. I had been a fan of VS for sometime and would purchase their titles during their biannual 50% sales. Their popularity has increased and this was the first time some of their recent titles had sold out before the Summer sale so I decided to take the plunge and subscribe. It cost $375 and this is what I've received so far:

Spoiler:

June

July

August

September

With the following releases coming in October:

They have 5 releases scheduled for November and we really don't know what's coming in December. Vinegar Syndrome tends to focus more on obscure, gritty, and exploitation cult films so if you're into that it's a worthy subscription. If you don't care about the limited slipcovers you're probably better off waiting and pre-ordering the monthly packages.

Obviously you're not going to love every single release they put out, but not including the December titles, the subscription averages to about $16 a movie. Personally I love all of the hidden gems and bizarre oddities that VS has exposed me to so, I feel like it was money well spent.

Last edited by DaveyJoe; 09-13-18 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-13-18, 08:30 PM

Thanks Davey! So is there any guarantee of the number of films? Could they release less than 4 or even zero in a month? If it’s 4-5 per month, you’ll end up with 26-27 for $375, not too bad. I’m tempted to just continue waiting for sales and get the 15 or so I want per year for less than that, but monthly grab bags and surprises are a lot of fun too. Hmmm...
Old 09-13-18, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks Davey! So is there any guarantee of the number of films? Could they release less than 4 or even zero in a month? If it’s 4-5 per month, you’ll end up with 26-27 for $375, not too bad. I’m tempted to just continue waiting for sales and get the 15 or so I want per year for less than that, but monthly grab bags and surprises are a lot of fun too. Hmmm...
The subscription prices change from year to year depending on how many releases they have scheduled. I've edited my post to show the breakdown of releases from month to month. So far five is the most releases I've gotten with the lowest being 2. In 2017 they released more films than they were promising for the subscription in late 2016. So they seem to do right by the folks who sign up. I don't think I've ever seen them go a month with zero releases. The biggest perk for me is getting a monthly package of films that are new to me without having to stress about whether or not they'll sell out before the sales.
Old 09-14-18, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I always wanted to do the Vinegar Syndrome Blu-ray subscription but just couldn't justify the price given my expenses at the time. I'm thinking I will likely try to subscribe next time. I've missed pretty much all their releases from the past year because I cut down so much on spending. There are quite a few titles I need to catch up on.
Old 09-14-18, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post

Spoiler:

July

I'm still impressed with July's surprise announcement of 10 additional films. Who else does that? That more than justified it for me.
Old 09-14-18, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So who else is getting this Anthropophagous gut-munching thing:

Spoiler:

I couldn't resist after missing out on The Sinful Dwarf plush. And it just so happens to be a subset pick this year for those not in the know.
Old 09-14-18, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm still impressed with July's surprise announcement of 10 additional films. Who else does that? That more than justified it for me.
Yeah, I bought that whole package. I'm a big supporter of VS blu-ray.
Old 09-14-18, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:

I couldn't resist after missing out on The Sinful Dwarf plush. And it just so happens to be a subset pick this year for those not in the know.
I'm not familiar with this movie at all. Is it worth a blind buy?
Old 09-15-18, 10:55 AM

I do the Horror Pack subscription. Is there anything else like that and the Vinegar subscription?

I agree that it would be nice if Shout! Factory would do it. Though this fall a lot of their big releases have been re-releases in a special, special edition. Like re-releasing The Howling and The Thing. I don't need to have a blu ray ten times over. The bells and whistles like posters and lobby cards don't mean that much to me. But I'd probably still join a sub if they had one.

I also really like Arrow from the UK. Their packages are fantastic.
Old 09-15-18, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I do the Horror Pack subscription. Is there anything else like that and the Vinegar subscription?

I agree that it would be nice if Shout! Factory would do it. Though this fall a lot of their big releases have been re-releases in a special, special edition. Like re-releasing The Howling and The Thing. I don't need to have a blu ray ten times over. The bells and whistles like posters and lobby cards don't mean that much to me. But I'd probably still join a sub if they had one.

I also really like Arrow from the UK. Their packages are fantastic.
I did Horror Pack and I just kept getting a lot of the same stuff and outside maybe one or two exclusives, I wasn't too impressed sadly. Vinegar isn't really my "cup of tea". I thought Full Moon may do something like this, but I'm not too sure. I do wish Scream (Shout) would do something like this as I would be all in for it. I wonder if it has ever been pitched to them.
Old 09-15-18, 12:47 PM

I jumped on the blu rays, but skipped the doll. Its pretty cool tho. The Severin purchase was a double dip for me since i had already bought the 88 films releases.
Old 09-15-18, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
I did Horror Pack and I just kept getting a lot of the same stuff and outside maybe one or two exclusives, I wasn't too impressed sadly. Vinegar isn't really my "cup of tea". I thought Full Moon may do something like this, but I'm not too sure. I do wish Scream (Shout) would do something like this as I would be all in for it. I wonder if it has ever been pitched to them.
Yeah, I did horror pack for about a year, but ultimately decided it wasnít worth it.
Probably averaged one duplicate every month, and the exclusives were never all that great. Maybe worthwhile if youíre just starting building a horror collection though.

I am currently doing their bi-monthly Coffin Pack though. Itís $29 with shipping. It includes each issue of Rue Morgue, a t-shirt, a Blu-ray, and 1-2 mystery items. The last box included a cool Halloween t-shirt, Train to Busan BD, a Puppet Master mini action figure, and a trading card signed by the director of some indie horror film. For me, itís basically worth it just to get the magazine and t-shirts. The BD and bonus items are just gravy.
Old 09-15-18, 03:23 PM

Riding out the remnants of the hurricane, but I really need to give a huge thumbs up for the Vinegar packages. The 6 month package has turned out to be a very nice deal this time around. I went for the complete 6 month package (includes DVDs), and I've been able to get rid of most of the stuff that I didn't want on eBay. I don't need to worry about having to order VS disks anymore, as they magically appear on my front porch once a month. This was my first time subscribing, but I'm pretty sure I will go again the next time it's offered around black Friday.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.