Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-18, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by jholmes
I am finally starting to hit my limit. Yesterday I watched 5 films. I had time for one more and several options picked out, but my brain was just like "nope".
I've felt that way a few times, it really helps to vary in some different style films and more upbeat stuff. A few times I've browsed my available titles and felt like they were all too dark or too similar to what I had seen. Dr Caligari today is one that I thought was a refreshing change. I am considering switching to TV series stuff once I hit 200 (at 181 now) because there's some shows like American Horror Story or the Exorcist series I've wanted to see but not yet gotten around too and TV might make for easier binge watching. Before the challenge I was going through Brooklyn 99 and I think that will be refreshing to get back to in a few days.
Old 10-26-18, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I'm so excited about my progress with the checklist. I've got sixteen checks to complete and am track to do it by the end of the month. This is the first time I've come anywhere close to completing the checklist! I've probably got time for 16-20 more films this month so I'll fall a little short of 100 which is a bit disappointing, but I've never been able to do that.

Last night, I got together with friends for hot cider and It (2017) which I missed when it was in theaters. I loved the film a lot and am eager for the sequel! Hell, I'm eager to rewatch it!
I need one actor, one deceased, two composers, two directors and two writers to get the main bulk of the checklist done without repeats. Need to focus on the bottom 1/3 rd of the list to see what else I need...
Old 10-26-18, 11:07 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

Well, the Mondo Macabro sale was disappointing. The red case items I was interested in were already sold out by 12:03 and the retail version blus I wanted to pick up were hardly any cheaper than the Amazon price (like $18 vs $18.25), plus I had to pay $9 for shipping. I went ahead and ordered 6 blus, but I feel like I was bait-and-switched.

Last edited by jholmes; 10-26-18 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-26-18, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, the Mondo Macabro sale was disappointing. The red case items I was interested in were already sold out by 12:03 and the retail version blus I wanted to pick up were hardly any cheaper than the Amazon price, plus I had to pay $9 for shipping. I went ahead and ordered 6 blus, but I feel like I was bait-and-switched.
I find that I have a much harder time giving CodeRed my money than Mondo. I'm probably one of the rare ones, but I'm in it for the movie, and could really care less about cases or dust covers. I wasn't looking for the rare stuff, and ended up getting everything I wanted which was a few preorders and a few depraved DVDs. Missed out on The Inheritors, which is now back in stock....
Old 10-26-18, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I think the biggest reason to buy from Mondo Macabro direct would be to support a cool small scale company in a grass roots way rather than for great deals or red cases. Personally I like the red cases because they are small tokens for supporting MM directly; although after absent mindedly missing out on a few I am no longer a completest about the red cases.
Old 10-26-18, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I was outside earlier, sitting on my porch, thinking about Vincent Price. I got to thinking about my sixth grade teacher. He was a cool teacher who would sometimes show us movies in class. Two of them I remember were, The Pit And The Pendulum , and The House Of Usher . That was the first time I saw those movies.
Old 10-26-18, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Chad, what are the “rules” on the sub-theme tomorrow of Fangoria? Any film featured on the cover?
Yeah, just whatever's on the cover like we did for the 35th anniversary and R.I.P. themes.

And there's full issues of past Fangos on archive.org for anyone interested. Also might make for a better theme link:

https://archive.org/details/fangoria...wnloads&page=2
Old 10-26-18, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I was outside earlier, sitting on my porch, thinking about Vincent Price. I got to thinking about my sixth grade teacher. He was a cool teacher who would sometimes show us movies in class. Two of them I remember were, The Pit And The Pendulum , and The House Of Usher . That was the first time I saw those movies.

The Last Man on Earth
is one of my top 5 favorite films of all time. I've named 2 cats Mooorrgan.
Old 10-26-18, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, the Mondo Macabro sale was disappointing. The red case items I was interested in were already sold out by 12:03 and the retail version blus I wanted to pick up were hardly any cheaper than the Amazon price (like $18 vs $18.25), plus I had to pay $9 for shipping. I went ahead and ordered 6 blus, but I feel like I was bait-and-switched.
Looks like they've added everything back as of this moment, but they won't last long considering many of the previous red cases were leftovers with limited quantities. I just ordered Ferat Vampire [Der Autovampir] after it supposedly sold out this morning.

EDIT: Never mind, all the previous red cases are sold out.

Last edited by Chad; 10-26-18 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-26-18, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whoa, when did Jesse Nelson leave Diabolik and start working for Mondo Macabro? Didn't even realize it until seeing a post on their Facebook page. I guess that explains why contacting him directly through his old work email resulted in no Diabolik sponsorship lately.
Old 10-26-18, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

As others have said, one trick to avoid burnout is to mix things up. Watch some titles that might be more borderline horror. For instance, in the last couple of days, I've watched Multiple Maniacs, which has a horror tag but felt very borderline, and a documentary about haunted houses. I've also started watching some Halloween specials. It's a nice way to break things up but still get credit.

I struggled yesterday. I got in one movie and then had a really hard time making it through the theme movie. It wasn't that I didn't like it, but I was just exhausted and had to be at work extra early for an event today. Luckily, everything went well, and now I'm ready to get home and get things back on track.

Originally Posted by Chad
Whoa, when did Jesse Nelson leave Diabolik and start working for Mondo Macabro? Didn't even realize it until seeing a post on their Facebook page. I guess that explains why contacting him directly through his old work email resulted in no Diabolik sponsorship lately.
I've been surprised Diabolik hasn't been a sponsor in a while. That might be why.
Old 10-26-18, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, just whatever's on the cover like we did for the 35th anniversary and R.I.P. themes.

And there's full issues of past Fangos on archive.org for anyone interested. Also might make for a better theme link:

This is outstanding! Thanks for posting. I didn't know magazines were on archive.org, but I never looked before either. I love how the layout of the page turning is.

Also thanks again to whoever posted the Universal Monsters Amazon deal a while back. Mine arrived today, just in time for Frankenstein theme!
Old 10-26-18, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone have an opinion on Torture Garden? The Indicator disk has 2 versions, theatrical or extended television. Planning on sitting down to watch this one tonight and was wondering which is the best to start.
Old 10-26-18, 06:53 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Does anyone have an opinion on Torture Garden? The Indicator disk has 2 versions, theatrical or extended television. Planning on sitting down to watch this one tonight and was wondering which is the best to start.
Haven’t found the old comments on this, but vaguely recall it being thought of the weakest of that glut of British anthologies that period. I’d start with the shortest and then decide if it’s worth further exploration.
Old 10-26-18, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
As others have said, one trick to avoid burnout is to mix things up. Watch some titles that might be more borderline horror. For instance, in the last couple of days, I've watched Multiple Maniacs, which has a horror tag but felt very borderline, and a documentary about haunted houses. I've also started watching some Halloween specials. It's a nice way to break things up but still get credit.

I struggled yesterday. I got in one movie and then had a really hard time making it through the theme movie. It wasn't that I didn't like it, but I was just exhausted and had to be at work extra early for an event today. Luckily, everything went well, and now I'm ready to get home and get things back on track.
I've struggled today. I'm on vacation this week, so I've watched more movies over the last few days than I had the entire month up until then. I got about 40 minutes into a couple of different movies and ended up turning them both off because I just couldn't get into either of them. Just one of those days.
Old 10-26-18, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Alright! My order of Nightwing (1979) and Shadow of the Hawk (1976) is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I see a Shadow of the Hawk/The Manitou double feature in my near future.
Old 10-26-18, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I have a serious shortage of mad doctor movies in my library, I wish Criterion would release Flesh for Frankenstein on Blu-ray.
Old 10-26-18, 09:25 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Chad, what are the “rules” on the sub-theme tomorrow of Fangoria? Any film featured on the cover?

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
This is outstanding! Thanks for posting. I didn't know magazines were on archive.org, but I never looked before either. I love how the layout of the page turning is.

Also thanks again to whoever posted the Universal Monsters Amazon deal a while back. Mine arrived today, just in time for Frankenstein theme!
That is awesome to be able to read any of them anytime/anywhere!

Here is perhaps a best link for the theme.
https://letterboxd.com/rstrahs/list/...r-of-fangoria/
Old 10-26-18, 10:04 PM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

Thanks for that. Much quicker than looking through the other links.

Today for the Mad Scientist/Frankenstein theme I watched The Curse of Frankenstein (1957), The Fury (1978), Dr. Caligari (1989), The Horrible Dr. Hichcock (1962), Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948), and The Bride (1985).

A few people recommended mixing it up for so I picked the Abbott and Costello for some comic relief. I never thought I'd have a reason to watch that. It was entertaining enough, though it will never be my fav. Some funny comic bits between A&C but sort of sad to see the great monsters parody themselves.

I LOVED The Fury. I have a real fondness for 70's psycho babble I guess. And what an amazing cast! When Amy Irving does the thing at the end with John Cassavetes (trying not to be too spoilery) I literally chortled, it was so great.

The Bride blu ray from Shout! Factory is good. The film was better than I remembered. The monster is very sympathetic and I love that Jennifer Beals tells Sting to go stuff himself. I know it was trashed upon release, but on rewatch now it wasn't bad at all. Nice to have a different take on Frankenstein.
Old 10-26-18, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Chinchilla, Chinchilla, Chinchilla! What the hell is going on with Dr. Caligari? It's taken me all day to watch this one, and I've still got 30 minutes left. I really need a commentary track for some much needed help.
Old 10-26-18, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched Def By Temptation, which brings me to roughly five unwatched left on Fangoria's 101 Best Horror Movies You've Never Seen list. Really good considering it's from Troma, and VS does an amazing restoration as always. Kadeem Hardison's character is eerily similar to the one he plays in the not-so-great Vampire in Brooklyn.

That is awesome to be able to read any of them anytime/anywhere!

Big thanks! Been looking for a decent link on that for ages.
Old 10-27-18, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

One cliche I'm getting sick of: prankster boyfriend dives in the water, doesn't resurface, girlfriend gets panicked and he grabs her from below for a jump scare. They did this a lot in the 80s.
Old 10-27-18, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Wrapped up all the Saws today. My letterboxd & ICM logs said that I had seen Part VI, but nope, none of it looked familiar. So those last 3 were blind-watches.

I'd rank 'em:
II (Best-paced of the bunch, IMO)
I
IV (I loved John's backstory. Starting the film with the autopsy was haunting too)
VI
III (One of the strongest, but seems to drag. Isn't it the longest one too?)
VII (Mostly terrible, but the bringing-back of a certain character did enough service for me. Whole thing should have ended here)
Jigsaw (Not feeling the new guy at all...If they choose to continue with him)
V (Didn't add nothing. Pointless)

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
One cliche I'm getting sick of: prankster boyfriend dives in the water, doesn't resurface, girlfriend gets panicked and he grabs her from below for a jump scare. They did this a lot in the 80s.
*sigh* I've been missing these types of cliches for my stats (i.e, dead phone line, pranks, un-cooperative car/truck) I need to seek more 80s flicks this weekend.
Old 10-27-18, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
I love Torture Garden. It's a gem of an Amicus film. I still just have the DVD from 2005, didn't know there were multiple cuts. If it helps my DVD is 100 minutes in length, and it's the only version of the movie I've seen. Looks like I'll have to buy the Blu-ray you reference.
Old 10-27-18, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

In spite of hitting the proverbial wall yesterday, I still managed to squeeze in 4 movies bringing my total for this year to 52. That tops my totals for the past 2 years, so wherever I end up, I will consider it a success.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.