Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-18, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
The Great Pumpkin is classic and I plan on watching it before the end of the month, but I've always been under the impression that Halloween specials would count without using a wild card.
But it was my understanding that it still counts as a stand-alone wildcard, meaning it doesn't need anything extra to go with it to make it a full entry.
Old 10-20-18, 01:38 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by clckworang
But it was my understanding that it still counts as a stand-alone wildcard, meaning it doesn't need anything extra to go with it to make it a full entry.
Yes, I think that's the case. As I recall, it used to be the exception to the full-length rule, and grew into the wildcard idea in the early years of the challenge. Chad will clarify, as always.

I never use all my allowed wildcards, so I think I just got in the habit of using it as one.
Old 10-20-18, 02:06 PM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'll break the current tie. I'd heard so much about this one that when I found it on Amazon Prime streaming I added it to my queue and watched it a few days ago. It was simply awful. Had it not been for the challenge I'd have not finished it. I gave it 3/10 and felt I was being a bit generous.
That's what I rated it too. 3/10. It just was not my cup of tea at all.
Old 10-20-18, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
I finally experienced that gut-wrenching feeling of getting no slip on a Vestron title (Gothic) thanks to DD today! At least Vinegar Syndrome helped ease the sting a little with four in the Oct bundle.

And after avoiding it for years thinking it would be pure torture (no pun intended), I watched Flavia the Heretic. Nunsploitation is usually pretty hit or miss with me, but I found it downright entertaining, and it surprisingly wasn't just cheap exploitation thrills. Still have Bruno Mattei's The Other Hell to watch, which I'm sure it will go in that particular direction.

Followed that up with the apparent new subgenre, STD horrors - the zomedy Night of Something Strange that felt like a '90s Troma flick. I could take it or leave it.
My wife bought me some Vestrons for Christmas and one had no slip. It wasnt a big deal to her.. to me it was.
Old 10-20-18, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Day 15
Old 10-20-18, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
The Great Pumpkin is classic and I plan on watching it before the end of the month, but I've always been under the impression that Halloween specials would count without using a wild card.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yes, no wildcard necessary on anything Halloween related. But it was the original wildcard back in the day.

Originally Posted by Shack
Yes, I think that's the case. As I recall, it used to be the exception to the full-length rule, and grew into the wildcard idea in the early years of the challenge. Chad will clarify, as always.

I never use all my allowed wildcards, so I think I just got in the habit of using it as one.
Yeah, like Trevor said it's the original wildcard, and to my recollection we never had any more voting since the first back in '06 saying otherwise. So count it without it.

I prefer watching it on television over that "4K" set I wasted money on last year. Next airing is Friday 10/26, FYI.
Old 10-20-18, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Tried watching Bats on Comet, but the same commercial repeated 10 times was a bit much. Also getting these strange pauses in the movie with a 'Back Now' banner popping up every 15 minutes or so....

Gave up after an hour and ate dinner. May try and find Bats tonight, as it was pretty entertaining.
Old 10-20-18, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Yeah, like Trevor said it's the original wildcard, and to my recollection we never had any more voting since the first back in '06 saying otherwise. So count it without it.

I prefer watching it on television over that "4K" set I wasted money on last year. Next airing is Friday 10/26, FYI.
It doesn't look right on UHD? I've almost purchased it a few times but have decided to stick to the Blu-ray until a steeper price drop.
Old 10-20-18, 06:08 PM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watched a decent zomedy called Ahockalypse (2018). Its low budget mayhem with a hockey team doing battle with the walking dead.
Old 10-20-18, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Tried watching Bats on Comet, but the same commercial repeated 10 times was a bit much. Also getting these strange pauses in the movie with a 'Back Now' banner popping up every 15 minutes or so....
Along with ads pausing while they’re playing, that’s when this challenge can really get grueling.

Btw, when I last watched GREAT PUMPKIN on TV (It was either last year or the year before) they edited out the part with Snoopy crying over the piano. Time constraints for a 25-minute show? WTactualF????
Old 10-20-18, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

There really should be more vintage Halloween variety specials, like the Paul Lynde Halloween Special which I watch every year. There are a bazillion old TV specials from the 60s and 70s for Christmas, but Halloween? Bupkes.

I saw this on Youtube and thought it would be fun to share:

Old 10-20-18, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do y'all remember watching Hush last year as a theme for the challenge? I just rewatched it on Netflix this evening and I seem to remember a different ending from last year, or I'm mixing it up with another movie. Does anyone remember this movie? I'm not seeing anything for an alternate ending, but I must be imagining a different ending of some other movie. This is really weird!
Old 10-20-18, 10:17 PM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

Some of my highlights this week were Firestarter (1984), Lake Mungo (2009), and Venom (1981) with Oliver Reed. I haven't seen Firestarter since it first released. It held up well and looked great on blu ray. Venom was much better than I expected. I love Oliver Reed. The film has a maid and chauffeur who plan to kidnap the family's rich kid for a ransom, but they end up trapped in the house with a black mamba and the cops outside. I really enjoyed it.
Old 10-20-18, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Rewatching Predator in UHD/4K and it looks much better than I've ever seen it before. Predator is probably the first R-rated movie I'd seen, at a friend's house.

It's kind of a shame there's not been a big trend towards action horror movies like Predator in recent years (other than the recent Predator sequel). Dog Soldiers, End of Days, and Blade II are other ones that stands out as favorites in action horror.

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Do y'all remember watching Hush last year as a theme for the challenge? I just rewatched it on Netflix this evening and I seem to remember a different ending from last year, or I'm mixing it up with another movie. Does anyone remember this movie? I'm not seeing anything for an alternate ending, but I must be imagining a different ending of some other movie. This is really weird!
I've seen Hush twice now and don't remember it having any alternate endings; although it's ending is kind of meta and maybe open to interpretation
Old 10-20-18, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man, how have I never seen Bats? This is what I would have wanted Frogs to be. Love this one!

Venom with Oliver Reed is great! I read that Kinski and Reed really didn't get along, and Reed just tried to piss off Kinski the entire movie. I recognized the lead detective as playing Merlin on Boorman's Excalibur. I don't know where they got that cover for the BU disk.....

I've heard so many good things about Mungo, but have never been able to find it.
Old 10-20-18, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Rewatching Predator in UHD/4K and it looks much better than I've ever seen it before. Predator is probably the first R-rated movie I'd seen, at a friend's house.

It's kind of a shame there's not been a big trend towards action horror movies like Predator in recent years (other than the recent Predator sequel). Dog Soldiers, End of Days, and Blade II are other ones that stands out as favorites in action horror.
Glad to see I'm not the only that appreciates End of Days.
Old 10-20-18, 11:04 PM

Name 3 of your favorite modern (post NOTLD) zombie films.
I've been trying to decide/remember what three zombie movies are favorites of mine. Dawn of the Dead is one but I feel like using it would be 'cheating.' The ones that immediately come to mind other than the classics are:

[Rec] 2
Dead Within
What We Become
Old 10-20-18, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been trying to decide/remember what three zombie movies are favorites of mine. Dawn of the Dead is one but I feel like using it would be 'cheating.' The ones that immediately come to mind other than the classics are:

[Rec] 2
Dead Within
What We Become
Land of the Dead's always been a favorite of mine. I need to think about this one, but I'm sure one of the 28 Days Later is going to be one of them.
Old 10-21-18, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The Autopsy Of Jane Doe... well acted and really had me engaged but I think once the spooky stuff started it went downhill a bit. It was fine but I was hoping for something better than what it ended up being. Worth a watch though
Old 10-21-18, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

One of the scariest things about Incubus is the fact John Cassavetes' facial expression doesn't change throughout the entire film. Gonna squeeze in one more tonight and go from Incubus to Succubus with Night Angel.

It doesn't look right on UHD? I've almost purchased it a few times but have decided to stick to the Blu-ray until a steeper price drop.
I'm probably being a little harsh; just didn't find the upgrade over the Blu-ray that significant. It's definitely worth it if you can find it at a reasonable price considering you get nine of the specials and for the audio upgrades.
Old 10-21-18, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you liked Bloodthirsty Bastards in previous challenges, you'll like The Night Watchmen on Shudder. It's about a quartet of fumbling night watchmen in a newspaper building who have to fight off a wave of vampires created by vampire clowns. It's rude, it's gory, it's funny, it's really dumb, and a lot of fun. I enjoyed it a lot.
Old 10-21-18, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Gobear
...The Night Watchmen on Shudder. It's about a quartet of fumbling night watchmen in a newspaper building who have to fight off a wave of vampires created by vampire clowns. It's rude, it's gory, it's funny, it's really dumb, and a lot of fun. I enjoyed it a lot.
I just finished Night Watchmen (which is also on Amazon Prime) and enjoyed it. Better than average indie fare with a squad of security guards running against a effectively scary looking vampire clowns who infects an office group into fast moving fiends. It is really dumb but also so fast paced and apocalyptic that even if a horror trope or joke fails it's off to the next two. There are so many fart jokes it's practically a meta joke in itself (not constant, like every 15 minutes) but the pacing and vampire mayhem is so efficient it kept me locked in - it's rare to find a movie so dumb and yet so much more than it's dumb jokes, it's got an infectious spirit of dark fun (many jokes land better) and the vampires swarms are well done.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-21-18 at 02:48 AM.
Old 10-21-18, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's a British vampire flick that I've been trying to track down, but it's just not available, especially now that my naughty sites have all disappeared. It's called Fanged Up (like "banged up," Britslang for going to jail). It's a Shaun of the Dead-style horror comedy about a nonviolent offender who is sent to a prison that turns out out to be an AB- storehouse for the vampires who run it. I can't find it on iTunes or Amazon or Netflix or Hulu. I tried to rent it from Amazon UK, but there appear to be rights issues that prevent US-based IPs from accessing it, and I don't fancy spending more money on a VPN to access UK sites. It will likely get a Scream Factory release down the road, but that doesn't help me now.

Last edited by Gobear; 10-21-18 at 03:25 AM.
Old 10-21-18, 05:52 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Saw Halloween 2018 last night. All I will say is - Go See it!
Old 10-21-18, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
If you liked Bloodthirsty Bastards in previous challenges, you'll like The Night Watchmen on Shudder. It's about a quartet of fumbling night watchmen in a newspaper building who have to fight off a wave of vampires created by vampire clowns. It's rude, it's gory, it's funny, it's really dumb, and a lot of fun. I enjoyed it a lot.
I just finished Night Watchmen (which is also on Amazon Prime) and enjoyed it. Better than average indie fare with a squad of security guards running against a effectively scary looking vampire clowns who infects an office group into fast moving fiends. It is really dumb but also so fast paced and apocalyptic that even if a horror trope or joke fails it's off to the next two. There are so many fart jokes it's practically a meta joke in itself (not constant, like every 15 minutes) but the pacing and vampire mayhem is so efficient it kept me locked in - it's rare to find a movie so dumb and yet so much more than it's dumb jokes, it's got an infectious spirit of dark fun (many jokes land better) and the vampires swarms are well done.
Third vote for The Night Watchmen. It was pretty standard but it was exactly what I was looking for when I watched it - something new but familiar.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.