Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Tvshowsondvd is done. 24 May 2018

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-18, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Tvshowsondvd is done. 24 May 2018

Site is dead. They’ll be on Facebook and Twitter from now on.

Shame to lose all those pages of show data.
Old 05-25-18, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts
Re: Tvshowsondvd is done. 24 May 2018

Wow, I've been checking their RSS feed for years and occasionally still visited their site. A sad day for collectors everywhere. Presumably traffic was down and they felt like it wasn't worth paying for bandwidth costs anymore. I wish they had alerted users the site may go down - someone may have been willing to host the archived content they had before pulling the plug.

I guess this is just another signal that physical media, especially for TV, is nearly at its end.
Old 05-25-18, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I figured it would happen sooner or later, but it’s still sad to see the end of an era.
Old 05-25-18, 03:20 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I figured it would happen sooner or later, but it’s still sad to see the end of an era.
A new era has begun
Old 05-25-18, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Looks like it was taken offline due to a security breach. I remember being on their mailing list for certain shows but I have no idea what password I used. I actually don’t remember even having one. Sucks about the site though. I didn’t frequent it a ton anymore but would still check it every so often.
Old 05-25-18, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Looks like it was taken offline due to a security breach. I remember being on their mailing list for certain shows but I have no idea what password I used. I actually don’t remember even having one. Sucks about the site though. I didn’t frequent it a ton anymore but would still check it every so often.
What makes you think it was due to a security breach?
Old 05-25-18, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Wezzo
What makes you think it was due to a security breach?
They sent an email saying so and that some of my personal information may have been compromised. I honestly don’t even remember registering anything with them other than a couple email addresses but maybe I did.

Dear TVShowsonDVD user,

We are writing to alert TVShowsonDVD users to a recent security incident that may have involved some of your personal information. We recently learned of a potential security incident involving TVShowsonDVD.com and immediately launched an investigation.

On May 21, 2018, we determined that between January and May 2018, an unauthorized party had gained access to information submitted by users to TVShowsonDVD. As a result, certain registration information that you submitted to the site, which may have included your name, username, password, or date of birth, may have been compromised. If you used the same password for TVShowsonDVD.com for other websites, we strongly recommend you change those passwords and monitor your accounts for any suspicious activity. Please note that we will never email you a direct link to update your settings or ask for your password.

We take the security of our users very seriously and have decided to take the site permanently offline.

If you have further questions you can reach out to the team here: [email protected]

Sincerely,

The TVShowsonDVD team
Old 05-25-18, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

TV Guide owned their site IIRC. I guess they just decided it wasn't worth re-launching after that incident. Plus, I really don't know how that site was making any money. It must have been a money loser for TV Guide.

I'll miss their content. They were so on top of keeping up with the press releases for all the newest TV shows hitting BD and DVD. But. streaming has killed a lot of the interest in owning TV shows after they finished airing. I doubt anyone here at DVD Talk especially wants to spend $30-40 on a 22 episode season of a show you just watched over the last 6+ months. And CW shows go to Netflix the week after the season finishes airing. That alone kills some of the incentive to pick up any of the DC shows right away in August or September when they 1st come out.
Old 05-25-18, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
TV Guide owned their site IIRC. I guess they just decided it wasn't worth re-launching after that incident. Plus, I really don't know how that site was making any money. It must have been a money loser for TV Guide.

I'll miss their content. They were so on top of keeping up with the press releases for all the newest TV shows hitting BD and DVD. But. streaming has killed a lot of the interest in owning TV shows after they finished airing. I doubt anyone here at DVD Talk especially wants to spend $30-40 on a 22 episode season of a show you just watched over the last 6+ months. And CW shows go to Netflix the week after the season finishes airing. That alone kills some of the incentive to pick up any of the DC shows right away in August or September when they 1st come out.
Yeah, streaming is taking over in our house too. The only stuff I'm interested in now is things like the old Planet of the Apes or Logan's Run tv shows, that aren't likely to get streaming deals.

We never even replaced our Star Trek TNG DVDs with Blurays because it's easier to stream. I kept my TOS DVDs because I collected all 40 of the 2 episode orange case releases and they're in production order. Also kept TAS because it's basically TOS part 2.
Old 05-28-18, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I guess they just decided it wasn't worth re-launching after that incident.
I've seen more than a few sites, particularly smaller forums, do the same. After some sort of security incident, they just completely wiped everything out instead of firing back up again.
Old 05-28-18, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn’t realize they were owned by TV Guide.
Old 05-28-18, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Yep. That sale was in 2007. Gord and Dave continued to run the site for TV Guide. TV Guide was purchased by Gemstar in 1999 who ruined both the magazine and site making them rather lame gossip products. They later purchased and ruined the "Jump the Shark" site. I'm surprised it took them this long to take down TVShowsonDVD.com - even more surprised that they didn't ruin the site first. In 2013, CBS Interactive purchased TV Guide (don't know if that included Gemstar) and the properties changed hands several more times before 2018 (again - don't know if CBS Interactive was part of all that - but the site still showed them as copyright owners right before it was shut down).