DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

9th Annual Historical Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 24-July 5 2018

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-18, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: 9th Annual Historical Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 24-July 5 2018

Originally Posted by shadokitty
You don’t need high numbers to do good in this Challenge. Just watch what you can or want and you are as much a ‘winner’ as the next person..
I understand that, but I like to get in as much as I can. I always seem to leave a lot out that I could watch. Same thing with the Horror challenge.
It's like..damn, I could of gotten that one in on that day
Old 06-19-18, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by JOE29
I understand that, but I like to get in as much as I can. I always seem to leave a lot out that I could watch. Same thing with the Horror challenge.
It's like..damn, I could of gotten that one in on that day
I know that feeling very well.
Old 06-21-18, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wednesday nights on The Outdoor Channel have some good gun shows. I'm not sure how many count for this Challenge, but while browsing the On Demand section, I found a good show on the history of guns, called American Rifleman. This particular episode covered some of the history of H&K, as well as the 1934 Beretta 9 mm pistol.
Old 06-21-18, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

I got back on track a bit last night by watching the first episode of the BBC Documentary "series" (I think it's 4 episodes) Madagascar. It was quite interesting. I fell asleep on the 2nd one so will try again tonight.

I got sidetracked by a new Amos 'n Andy set I purchased as a LD from Amazon a couple of weeks back (of course a bootleg and attempts to claim good video, it's acceptable, and some legitimacy since there's no official release - but it's pressed. Surprise!). I've not seen that one in decades so have been concentrating on it.
Old 06-21-18, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I got back on track a bit last night by watching the first episode of the BBC Documentary "series" (I think it's 4 episodes) Madagascar. It was quite interesting. I fell asleep on the 2nd one so will try again tonight.

I got sidetracked by a new Amos 'n Andy set I purchased as a LD from Amazon a couple of weeks back (of course a bootleg and attempts to claim good video, it's acceptable, and some legitimacy since there's no official release - but it's pressed. Surprise!). I've not seen that one in decades so have been concentrating on it.
I have Madagascar on digital, and quite enjoyed the series. Been sidetracked a lot myself lately, but have somewhat started getting back into the Challenge.
Old 06-22-18, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since I've been in the mood for aviation lately, I began working my way through my Aviation Anthology. It's a 18 DVD set of aviation documentaries. I'm currently working my way through disc 4, which contains episodes of the Australian TV show, The Plane Facts. Each half hour episode contains different segments about various aspects of aviation.
Old 06-23-18, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Last night, I moved on to Disc 5 of the Aviation Anthology. The next few discs are classic aviation films, such as the type made with old movie cameras to record flights from the ground.
Old 06-25-18, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just about a week and a half left in the Challenge. Is everyone meeting their goals, or at least enjoying themselves?

A reminder that from Dusk on June 30 to Dawn on July 5, you can use sci fi documentaries, or time travel as double credit viewings with the Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge.
Old 06-25-18, 07:30 PM

June 25th- the anniversary of Custers Last Stand. A topic that has fascinated me from when I was a little child. Going to start They Died with their Boots on in about 20-30 minutes in honor of the anniversary.
Old 06-25-18, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Just about a week and a half left in the Challenge. Is everyone meeting their goals, or at least enjoying themselves?
I'm doing pretty well. My goal is to get 30, which is mainly the days of the month, give or take. I've already passed that. I'd like to pick one day, at least, where I can just sit down from the early morning to the late night, and just watch movies. - minus lunch, dinner that is. Haven't been able to do it yet. But there's still some time to get it done. I've been doing mostly one viewing a day. I'd like to increase that on some days. We'll see.
Old 06-26-18, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Earlier this month, I started the National Geographic Nature Collection. I used to have it on DVD, until it was destroyed when my boxer went through his phase of destroying my DVDs. Oddly enough, while I paid $60 for the DVD set, I got it digitally on Amazon Instant Video for $10. I started watching it again tonight, with Rhino Rescue, a documentary that showcased Botswana's rhino relocation program.
Old 06-30-18, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

I just finished a first time viewing of 2016's remake of The Magnificent Seven. While it's a passable remake it's just passable. Without giving anything away, there was some pure stupidity on display with the final battle. Leave off the "Magnificent Seven" title and you have a fairly good, although somewhat cliche, revenge type western. They had some good opportunities but blew it with some of the choices. I'm not sure how I feel about their use of the original's theme at the start of the end credits - it just doesn't fit this film. At least it was a shortened version.

I was surprised upon opening the case as they included a BR of the 1960 "original" (yes, I know it's a remake of Kurosawa's Seven Samurai) in a paper sleeve. That was not indicated on the case.

My grandson came in about 20 minutes into the film to ask me to move my car so he could get the mower out (he mows mine and his yard), asked what it was, so I gave him a brief history of the film and told him what had happened up to the point he came in. He expressed interest in watching them so there's another set of films we'll be watching together at some point. Now I just have to decide on the order. He's absolutely OK with subtitles. He's watched the original, Japanese, version of Gojira for several years. We watched both it and the US remake and he immediately decided the original was the better of the films and one of his favorite SF films - I gave him a copy for Christmas that year. I'm leaning heavily towards the 1960 US remake first for no other reason than it's the first one I saw. It was decades before I knew it was a remake so he'll have a leg up on me in that aspect.
Old 07-01-18, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

I've been lucky to see four stage musicals this month that fit the theme: Les Miz, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Bandstand, and The Color Purple. I traditionally don't count stage shows but I list them. Bandstand was a Fathom event, though, so it qualifies.

I just finished a first time viewing of 2016's remake of The Magnificent Seven. While it's a passable remake it's just passable. Without giving anything away, there was some pure stupidity on display with the final battle. Leave off the "Magnificent Seven" title and you have a fairly good, although somewhat cliche, revenge type western. They had some good opportunities but blew it with some of the choices. I'm not sure how I feel about their use of the original's theme at the start of the end credits - it just doesn't fit this film. At least it was a shortened version.

I was surprised upon opening the case as they included a BR of the 1960 "original" (yes, I know it's a remake of Kurosawa's Seven Samurai) in a paper sleeve. That was not indicated on the case.

My grandson came in about 20 minutes into the film to ask me to move my car so he could get the mower out (he mows mine and his yard), asked what it was, so I gave him a brief history of the film and told him what had happened up to the point he came in. He expressed interest in watching them so there's another set of films we'll be watching together at some point. Now I just have to decide on the order. He's absolutely OK with subtitles. He's watched the original, Japanese, version of Gojira for several years. We watched both it and the US remake and he immediately decided the original was the better of the films and one of his favorite SF films - I gave him a copy for Christmas that year. I'm leaning heavily towards the 1960 US remake first for no other reason than it's the first one I saw. It was decades before I knew it was a remake so he'll have a leg up on me in that aspect.
Nice bonus! I saw the remake and agree that it was fine but nothing memorable. The original has more rewatch value for me (I just picked it up on Vudu), and the theme song might be my favorite ever. And yes, the Kurosawa is an all-time favorite movie for me, but the length and language barrier make it harder to casually watch.

Viewing order is a tricky question. I might lean toward 1960 first as a more accessible entry to the story, then Kurosawa because the more familiar plot and characters may ease the hurdles I just mentioned.
Old 07-01-18, 03:53 PM

I just finished a first time viewing of 2016's remake of The Magnificent Seven. While it's a passable remake it's just passable. .
I agree. I bought it when it was first released. Watched it, and ehh.
Nothing special. Haven't seen it since.
Old 07-01-18, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

It's great to assemble a huge cast, but at the end of the day you still have to make an entertaining movie out of it.
Old 07-01-18, 07:16 PM

Watched Tomahawk last night. I was surprised to see Yvonne De Carlo in it. The later famed Lilly Munster. It was interesting to see her in a different role. Although not a great movie, but I liked it.
I kept expecting her to come up with the " Herman, you goofed it again " line that dominated the show.