Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Demise of "Blu-ray+DVD Combo" format: "Last Jedi" and "Black Panther"

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 04-27-18, 09:47 AM

What's the story with the apparent demise of DVD+Blu-ray Combo format for new releases? Disney and Pixar have traditionally led the way with releasing almost all titles in that 2-disc combined format. Then this Spring, with the release of "Star Wars: The Last Jedi," that format was only available as a limited-time special pre-order from Target and Best Buy. I never saw it at any of their brick-and-mortar stores (starting looking the week of its release) and it always shows as chronically unavailable at their online sites. I've called Target's customer service number, and they do not know any more than what their Web site says. Now Disney does not even appear to be releasing "Black Panther" in that DVD+Blu-ray combined format at all.

Apparently the demand is there, since they sold out what "DVD+Blu-ray Combos" they had the first day it was released. The other formats "4K" and "Blu-ray" excluding DVD are plentiful and languishing on the shelves. Is this a temporary strategy or a business experiment to test consumer behavior? Otherwise, it seems odd that a company existing to make a profit would pass up the opportunity to make money from existing demand at virtually no added cost to the company.
Old 04-27-18, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Demise of "Blu-ray+DVD Combo" format: "Last Jedi" and "Black Panther"

Possibly a push to get people to buy into the newer formats? 3d is dead in its current iteration, so that's not even a blip on the radar anymore, but 4k and to a certain extent blue ray are trying to reach the saturation that dvd has had for years on the market.
With that being said, I dont know that we can really call it a "demise" yet, as you only give examples from one company. If other studios follow suit then we may be seeing a shift.
Old 04-27-18, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by gcbma View Post
Apparently the demand is there, since they sold out what "DVD+Blu-ray Combos" they had the first day it was released. The other formats "4K" and "Blu-ray" excluding DVD are plentiful and languishing on the shelves. Is this a temporary strategy or a business experiment to test consumer behavior? Otherwise, it seems odd that a company existing to make a profit would pass up the opportunity to make money from existing demand at virtually no added cost to the company.
My question is whether the SKUs are selling out because of the DVD or regardless of the DVD. For example, if the BD+DVD also includes the digital version, I could see why that would have a lot more appeal than the disc-only version whatever the resolution.

I also disagree that producing the extra disc and putting it in a non-standard case would be considered virtually no added cost.
Old 04-27-18, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
Possibly a push to get people to buy into the newer formats? 3d is dead in its current iteration, so that's not even a blip on the radar anymore, but 4k and to a certain extent blue ray are trying to reach the saturation that dvd has had for years on the market.
With that being said, I dont know that we can really call it a "demise" yet, as you only give examples from one company. If other studios follow suit then we may be seeing a shift.
3D is only dead in Region 1. I've ordered and already received from Amazon UK in 3D: Thor: Ragnarok and Star Wars: Return of the Jedi. On preorder I have Jumunji: Welcom to the Jungle, Avengers: Infinity Wars, Pacific Rim: Uprising and Black Panther, all in 3D Region Free. After currency conversion AND shipping, I'm pretty sure I'm not paying any more than I would have here.

Last edited by pacaway; 04-27-18 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-27-18, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is the BD + DVD combo a common thing among blockbuster-type movies? I buy very few of those, but I'm always delighted to get a combo pack when I buy a Blu-ray.
Old 04-27-18, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pacaway View Post
3D is only dead in Region 1. I've ordered and already received from Amazon UK in 3D: Thor: Ragnarok and Star Wars: Return of the Jedi in 3D. On preorder I have Jumunji: Welcom to the Jungle, Avengers: Infinity Wars, Pacific Rim: Uprising and Black Panther, all in Region Free. After currency conversion, I'm pretty sure I'm not paying any more than I would have here.
So dead in the home market for all the titles you listed. Gotcha.
Old 04-29-18, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/peter-p...g08nfjKy36JuGw

Disney Peter Pan steelbook coming out. Specs say it is a blue ray/dvd combo.
Old 05-01-18, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I never really understood the Blu-ray+DVD combo idea. There are arguments of having people that are DVD-only to be able to pick the combo pack to future-proof, but when studios continue to also release DVD-only editions for a cheaper price, it wouldn't make last-gen watchers to upgrade.

When I buy a Blu-ray and it comes with a DVD and digital copy, I don't find any instances ever watching the DVD or DC. If you have the Blu-ray, why bother watching the lesser version?
Old 05-01-18, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was kind of nice having a DVD I thought for certain instances. If I wanted to go to a friendís place and they only had a DVD player (which does happen) or if I want to watch a movie with my parents theyíve only got a DVD player set up. Plus it was kind of nice having a backup copy. Iím not ready to migrate to 4K/Blu-ray combos until theyíre cheaper. I would to future proof because I donít have a 4K player/tv yet but Iím not spending considerably more money to do so.
Old 05-01-18, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like combos especially for kids/family movies. My kids don't have a BD player in their room and we don't have a BD player in the car, but we do have DVD players in those places.
Old 05-01-18, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by manicsounds View Post
I never really understood the Blu-ray+DVD combo idea. There are arguments of having people that are DVD-only to be able to pick the combo pack to future-proof, but when studios continue to also release DVD-only editions for a cheaper price, it wouldn't make last-gen watchers to upgrade.

When I buy a Blu-ray and it comes with a DVD and digital copy, I don't find any instances ever watching the DVD or DC. If you have the Blu-ray, why bother watching the lesser version?
The others hit the nail on the head. The included dvd was nice to have, as there are a lot more dvd players out in the wild than there are blue ray players. Many more options to play a dvd than a blue ray. Personally, close toe everyone I know owns a dvd player. Very few even own blue ray players. Much less multiple blue ray players. Do they even make portable or mobile blue ray players?
Old 05-01-18, 06:42 PM

I always just thought that because physical media was on the decline, companies don't have much of a reason to include DVDs with Blu-Rays as often as before and it was more cost-effective to produce less discs. I will mention, though, that the Target Exclusive for The Last Jedi came with a DVD copy of the film, so I'm not sure what their reasoning was behind that.

That being said, I think I'd be more likely to jump on board with 4K if they included 4K / BD / DVD / Digital in one package.