DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 05-14-18, 11:58 AM   #76
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The Ninth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
My wife has been making decent choices this month, a combination of things she wants to watch with me, and things she knows I’d enjoy without her. But that ended the other day, when she “made me watch” Gone With the Wind.
I like the film - my wife has never seen it (yeah... I don't get it 'cause it's basically a "chick flick" at heart and she kind of likes those) and once every 4-5 years is plenty (I purchased the BR last year so need to make time for it somehow).

Were it to be remade it'd lose lots of its heart and be a two, if not three, film package stretching the releases over 3-4 years. It would also lose lots of its impact in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbercrunch View Post
A great film, but your right about rewatchability. Because you mentioned GWTW, it gave me an idea for a May Challenge - Watch the top 100 films of all time.
I had something vaguely similar pop in my head a week or so back but failed to write it down thinking it'd be an easy one to remember. No such luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
Man, that would be tough. It's one thing to hit 100 during the Horror Challenge when so many qualifying titles are 90 minutes or less. Most films listed in a top 100 list are substantially longer. I'd be impressed if anyone could pull that off.
Quote:
Agreed. I once watched every Oscar Best Picture winner for an Academy Award Challenge, but that was only 85 or so films, and iirc there were 5+ weeks that Challenge. Still, it was exhausting, with the typically longer and often emotionally draining films. Challenges filled with “lighter” fare like TV or horror or action are much easier imo.
I agree with that being quite difficult watching the top 100 films (I'm guessing the AFI list?) in a month. I'd absolutely have to be in the right frame of mind and have a more than normal availability of "free" time for that one. There being several films on that AFI list that I absolutely do not like and would prefer to never watch again would make it even more difficult.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 05-14-18 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-14-18, 12:42 PM   #77
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Ninth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2018

I've watched GWTW once, I don't feel the need to watch it again.

Now that I'm back from vacation, I can update my X-Files re-watch:

1.21 “Tooms” Our favorite liver-eating stretch guy is back. We also have Scully calling Mulder Fox which doesn’t go well and we have our first sighting of AD Skinner. Hello Mitch Pileggi! For some reason I thought this episode happened next season but I guess they couldn’t wait to bring back this character. Last time we had the medium creepy factor with Tooms squeezing through Scully’s vent and this time we have turned the creepy up to 11 with Tooms writhing naked across the floor trying to get to Mulder.

1.22 “Born Again” a pissed off murdered cop is reincarnated into a little girl and the vengeance is strong with the little one. We have some telekinesis being used to take out the folks who killed the still angry cop and there’s origami to boot. A black male bus driver without any lines make an appearance to help take someone out.

1.23 “Roland” I’m not sure how I feel about this episode. On the one hand, this portrayal of an autistic man feels stereotypical and lacks any nuance. On the other hand, Zeljiko Ivanek’s performance is really strong (I can’t wait to re-watch Homicide: Life on the Street next year). Roland is our autistic janitor whose twin engineer brother was killed in a car accident. The ghost of said engineer brother is possessing his autistic twin to finish his work and keep his co-workers from claiming the credit. The story feels a bit repetitive after the previous episode. Dead folks need to let things go. Actress of color alert as Sue Mathew has a blink and you’d miss it role.

1.24 “The Erlenmeyer Flask” Super-duper mythology episode for the season finale. Here we expand the mythology from simply the existence of extra-terrestrials to government experiments with ET DNA.I have always loved Scully’s monkey pee line though there isn’t much use for that line in the real world. We see the green blood and the severe allergic reaction humans have that blood. Deep Throat lays it all out, Mulder gets exposed to the alien blood chemistry, Scully holds an alien fetus in her hands, and Deep Throat gets capped. Before he gets got, Deep Throat also mentions a vaccination experiment with alien DNA; that’s going to become a big deal in later seasons. He also tells Scully to trust no one. The X-Files gets shut down and Cigarette Smoking Man is back to his middle management duty of hiding evidence.

2.1 “Little Green Men” Mulder gets the heads up from a Senator that aliens are coming to Puerto Rico. So off Mulder goes, under an assumed name of course, which leaves Scully to follow the bread crumbs. The most obvious surveillance team in history is tracking Scully, Cigarette Smoking Man is out of cigarettes, and Mulder meets a frightened man who doesn’t speak English and who appears to die of fright. Skinner grows a pair and kicks CSM out of his office but he keeps Mulder on a medium-sized leash.
Old 05-14-18, 02:37 PM   #78
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Loving your X-Files write-ups and watch-thru lisadoris. Will likely always be a top ten show for me. I’m finishing up the latest season soon, hopefully it’s at least marginally decent and doesn’t sour the overall feelings I have for the franchise.
Old 05-14-18, 04:40 PM   #79
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched the first episode of the latest season and just gave up. I know season 9 has it's problems but seasons 10 & 11 did absolutely nothing for me.
Old 05-14-18, 05:20 PM   #80
DVD Talk Hero

As a big X-Files fan who was underwhelmed by the revival, I will say that the latest season got better after a rocky start. So you might consider giving it another try after you're done with your rewatch. Good write-ups, BTW.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2018 | Drive-In 2018 | Leap Day 2016
Old 05-14-18, 07:59 PM   #81
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I plan to watch some X-Files during the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge. Seeing that Dish is a participating provider on the Nat Geo App, which now includes the Fox Family of networks, I get all of the episodes on demand.
Old 05-15-18, 05:23 AM   #82
DVD Talk Limited Edition

More X-Files backlog:

2.2 “The Host” fluke worm killing folks in the NJ sewer system; gross. Mulder does not endear himself to Skinner and the Bureau higher-ups. I hate it when the suspect is a giant, blood-sucking worm. We get the introduction of X’s voice but no sight of Steven Williams.

2.3 “Blood” tells its age based on the dated computer readouts and the multiple references to the OJ Bronco Chase. I recently re-watched Blade Runner so it was nice to see William Sanderson again. I too dislike the sight of blood so I understand the character’s apprehension. The Lone Gunman make another appearance and give us the 411 on government use of toxic chemicals which of course leads Mulder to get sprayed. While everyone else turns homicidal, Mulder is encouraged to become an exercise fiend proving once again that Mulder is not wired the way the rest of us are. The image of some dude going ape shit in a tower with a gun and lots of ammo is more frightening now than it was when it originally aired.

2.4 “Sleepless” I love this episode for two reasons: Tony Todd and Alex Krycek. Todd’s character has legit beef against the folks he takes out and the method of murder is quite ingenious. Nicholas Lea makes his second appearance on the show but his first as Krycek. He has a great line about not wanting to be treated like someone’s bad prom date. He starts out so green and that’s so not where the character ends up. We finally see X in this episode who tells Mulder about the military’s sleep eradication experiment.

2.5 “Duane Barry” Mulder in a red speedo, nice. CCH Pounder as a guest star, nice too. None of this would have happened if Mulder had let the sniper take the original shot. Wanting to believe Barry is cool and all but there was still one hostage left in the room. That’s just piss poor judgement and bad police work on Mulder’s part.
2.6 “Ascension” Scully has been abducted by Duane Barry, a move necessitated by Anderson’s pregnancy. That fact has been clear in the last few episodes as she has been showing and they keep hiding her behind desks. We already knew that Krycek was bad but now we see how low he’s willing to sink. When Mulder finds Barry, why doesn’t he inquire about the lift operator? That would have clued Mulder into Krycek’s duplicity before he found the cigarettes.

2.7 “3” The blood-play episode. The writers keep throwing random women at Mulder and the truth of the matter is that Duchovny does not have chemistry with any of them. Once again, without Scully around, Mulder gets knocked the hell out by a man of color to boot. Tom McBeath from Stargate SG-1 makes an appearance.

2.8 “One Breath” Scully is returned but is in a coma. Frohike visiting Scully in a suit and tie is priceless. We meet Scully’s sisters; see a flashback and a dream sequences of Scully’s father; and see Scully’s mom deal with ending life support. Anderson spends most of the episode sitting in a boat and laying in a hospital bed. X tries to school Mulder on the path he’s on but it doesn’t work and for the second episode in a row, Mulder gets knocked the hell out. Skinner schools Mulder too but he finally listens. Skinner comes through with Cigarette-Smoking Man’s home address and Mulder gets nothing useful from him. Mulder doesn’t kill CSM but he should have at least punched him just because. This episode gives us some good backstory on Skinner and some insight into CSM.
Old 05-15-18, 11:19 PM   #83
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Still, it was exhausting, with the typically longer and often emotionally draining films. Challenges filled with “lighter” fare like TV or horror or action are much easier imo.
I think this hits the nail on the head: longer, emotionally charged films are a lot harder to watch one after another...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisadoris View Post
I've watched GWTW once, I don't feel the need to watch it again.
I feel this way too. I have only watched it once. Back in college, I was desperate for something to read that wasn't school related and my college library had very few "fun" reads. GWTW was one of them. I really enjoyed the book, so rented the movie.

Some movies I can watch 100s of times, some movies that I loved/appreciated but only see myself watching once or twice and then those where I have no desire to even see clips of them again. GWTW falls somewhere between the last two for me. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't something that I desire to see again.
July Sci-fi/Fantasy 2018; Aug. Animation 2018; Sept. Criterion 2018; Oct. Horror 2012; Nov. Comedy 2017; Holiday 2017; Jan. TV on DVD* 2018; Feb. Academy Awards 2017; Feb. Quadrennial Leap Day 2016; Mar. Action/Adv/Crime/Mystery 2018; May MYOC 2018; June Historical Appreciation 2014
Old 05-16-18, 05:48 AM   #84
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Even more X-Files backlog:

2.9 “Firewalker” Hey, Bradley Whitford is our guest of the week and we’re visiting a volcano. At least the man of color wasn’t the first to die though his death was really gruesome. It’s a classic horror tale that isn’t particularly interesting. I don’t really understand the ending. Trepko might not talk about the spore but that’s no reason to leave him at the volcano.

2.10 “Red Museum” This is a rather convoluted episode. It’s about kids being kidnapped and drugged and left stranded in the woods. Then there’s a religious cult that believes eating meat is wrong and they are suspected of the crimes. Then it turns out it’s a corrupt doctor injecting kids and cows with alien DNA. The man who popped a cap in Deep Throat gets got at the end of the episode. The plot takes too long to get where it needs to go and it’s wrapped up too quickly once it gets there.

2.11 “Excelsis Dei” Teryl Rothery from SG-1 is our guest star this week and she is sexually assaulted in the cold open. The episode takes place in a memory care facility with elderly patients receiving meds that were not prescribed by their primary care physician. A mushroom provided by an Asian orderly has awaken a very unhappy spirit hellbent on exacting revenge.

2.12 “Aubrey” I’ve always found the concept surrounding this episode to be fascinating and it was executed really well. Terry O’Quinn is good as usual though it’s not about him. The idea of nature vs nurture and serial killer DNA being activated by pregnancy is interesting. The fact that the episode ends with Aubrey trying to abort her pregnancy and being denied that right shows how little things have changed in the intervening years.

2.13 “Irresistible” This episode is so freaking creepy and Nick Chinlund scared the daylights out of me here. The death fetishist who was supposed to be into necrophilia in the original draft before FOX standards and practices got involved. The sexual dimension of the crimes was toned down as well but it still comes through like a neon blinking light. Scully having to confront her PTSD after the Duane Barry episode felt earned and necessary. I judge favorite episodes based on re-watchability and while this is a good episode, I don’t like re-watching it so it gets shoved toward the bottom of the list (but not below the objectively horrible episodes).

2.14 “Die Hand die verletzt” hey, the devil worshiping PTA episode. This one always felt like an escapee from the Buffy universe. I love the scene when toads fall from the sky and Mulder’s response is “I guess their parachutes didn’t open.” If you’re going to make a deal with a devil, you better hold up your end of the bargain.

2.15 “Fresh Bones” the mad disrespectful Vodou episode. Since most US pop culture misinterprets and disrespects Vodou, I’m not terribly surprised. The good news is that there are a bunch of black folks in this episode including the delightful Bruce A. Young. Roger Cross makes another appearance and this time he is credited and his character has a name. The little boy playing Chester Bonaparte is adorable. I found it amusing that Scully, a Catholic, says that Vodou is based on fear. Most religions are based on fear, that’s a bs reason for a religious person to dismiss it.

2.16 “Colony” the introduction of the alien bounty hunter/clone storylines and the beginning of Brian Thompson’s run on the series. That man has been on pretty much every sci-fi fantasy series known to man. In this version of the conspiracy, aliens arrived in the 1940s and cloned themselves creating colonies all over the country. They’ve been working toward eliminating their identical features. Because the experiments weren’t sanctioned, a bounty hunter was dispatched to eliminate them. The experiments were deemed a dilution of their race.

2.17 “End Game” for the third time this season, Scully is kidnapped. The bounty hunter agrees to exchange Scully for the woman claiming to be Mulder’s sister. Mulder’s father’s righteous indignation about letting Samantha go is rich considering what we learn later. Of course we see that “Samantha” is also a clone and isn’t his sister. Mulder gets knocked out again and once again he goes off on his own without telling Scully and damn near gets himself killed. Scully contacts X and he brushes her off and then X and Skinner come to blows in the elevator. Mulder yells at SG-1’s Colin Cunningham for a few minutes which isn’t very nice but it wasn’t really Cunningham so I guess that excuses everything. Bounty hunter leaves Mulder in the frozen tundra (what is it with aliens and icy temps) and tells him that Samantha is alive.
Old 05-16-18, 10:52 PM   #85
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched Marnie tonight. Over the past few years, I've been trying to watch Hitchcock films as I grew up watching The Birds and liking it but not really watching any others. I discovered that I do like his films, but Marnie is a miss for me.

Thought Mark was just too slimy to like and that Bernice and Marnie were almost caricatures of people. Also, some of the film work was just too much...there was a scene where he zooms in and out, in and out, in and out...which made me laugh and not in a good way!
July Sci-fi/Fantasy 2018; Aug. Animation 2018; Sept. Criterion 2018; Oct. Horror 2012; Nov. Comedy 2017; Holiday 2017; Jan. TV on DVD* 2018; Feb. Academy Awards 2017; Feb. Quadrennial Leap Day 2016; Mar. Action/Adv/Crime/Mystery 2018; May MYOC 2018; June Historical Appreciation 2014
Old 05-17-18, 05:05 AM   #86
DVD Talk Limited Edition

More X-Files backlog:

2.18 “Fearful Symmetry” invisible zoo animals go stomping through the city; that’s a problem. What we end up with is a convoluted story about aliens abducting and impregnating animals.

2.19 “Dod Kalm” rapid aging; a well-worn theme in sci-fi/fantasy TV. The only new twist is the addition of a Bermuda Triangle type location and sodium chloride as a cause. It’s not a bad episode, it just doesn’t bring anything new to the table except for mixing sardine juice, lemons, and snow globe liquid. The old-age makeup is pretty good though.

2.20 “Humbug” crimes in a town filled with former circus performers. This is the first episode to rely on broad comedy. Most fans hold this episode in high esteem but for me, I don’t think the episode had the proper balance of comedy and drama that future endeavors like “Clyde Bruckman” or “Bad Blood” have. It’s a decent episode and the final line is a hoot but I don’t love it as much as other folks.

2.21 “The Calusari” our Exorcist episode complete with mysterious deaths occurring around a young boy. Turns out a stillborn twin is pissed off about something and has set his mind on taking out everyone in his path. We don’t know why the twin is pissed but since the exorcism works, who cares I guess. SG-1’s Bill Dow makes an appearance here.

2.22 “F. Emasculata” the prison escape/plague episode that is super gross and displays massive stupidity by a bunch of folks. The fact that you have two escape prisoners who are extremely dangerous and there’s no public warning is just bad. Add the fact that the two prisoners could have an unknown and deadly contagion and the public isn’t warned is horrific. Hell, the US Marshalls chasing the prisoners aren’t even told about the contagion. Then, to make matters worse, Scully is told that there is an unknown contagion with an unknown method of transmission that is deadly in 36 hours and her response is to go to where the dead bodies are kept armed with only a mask and some gloves. WTF! This is Prometheus level stupidity on her part and it got another doctor infected and killed. The CDC guys had on full hazmat gear so she knew that there were some serious questions. And when she goes back to examine the bodies, she doesn’t even put the mask on. I haven’t taken a science class since high school (which was 25 yrs ago) and I know how stupid this is.

2.23 “Soft Light” Hey, Tony Shalhoub makes an appearance as someone whose shadow can kill people due to experiments with dark matter. Mr. X shows who’s boss and shows that he’s nobody’s fool. He also played Mulder like a drum.

2.24 “Our Town” Oh joy, cannibals. Given the events of the episode, I probably shouldn’t eat chicken ever again but what can you do. Resorting to cannibalism in an effort to live forever and stay youthful seems like too steep a price. Scully gets kidnapped again and almost gets her head chopped off.
Old 05-17-18, 04:08 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG765 View Post
I watched Marnie tonight. Over the past few years, I've been trying to watch Hitchcock films as I grew up watching The Birds and liking it but not really watching any others. I discovered that I do like his films, but Marnie is a miss for me.

Thought Mark was just too slimy to like and that Bernice and Marnie were almost caricatures of people. Also, some of the film work was just too much...there was a scene where he zooms in and out, in and out, in and out...which made me laugh and not in a good way!
I'll have to dig Marnie out and watch it. I own pretty much every Hitch movie but have definitely not watched them all but I have not really found any duds among the ones I HAVE seen. Now I'm curious.
Old 05-17-18, 04:20 PM   #88
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacaway View Post
I'll have to dig Marnie out and watch it. I own pretty much every Hitch movie but have definitely not watched them all but I have not really found any duds among the ones I HAVE seen. Now I'm curious.
I hope you like it more than I did! It's no Psycho or The Birds, that's for sure.

I know I have several of his films left to watch, but I have gotten to most of the big ones except for Vertigo. North by Northwest was alright, Rear Window was good, but not my favorite. I'm not a huge James Stewart fan, though. I liked Rebecca and The Lady Vanishes. I think I prefer his earlier works except for the 2 mentioned earlier, to be honest.
Old 05-17-18, 04:25 PM   #89
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yesterday's X-File viewing. I'm almost caught up with my posts

2.25 “Anasazi” The beginning of the integration of Native Americans into the show’s mythology. A hacker gains access to the DODs original UFO files and gives them to Mulder but unfortunately, they are written in Navajo. Mulder, who hasn’t been sleeping, loses his shit and punches Skinner. CSM visits Mulder’s father and apparently daddy’s name is in the file. Krycek kills daddy and it turns out that Mulder’s recent batpoop crazy behavior is due to his water being drugged. Krycek and Mulder come to blows and Scully stops the fight by shooting Mulder. Scully & Mulder end up in New Mexico in the company of a Navajo Code Talker named Albert Holsteen and it turns out that Scully’s name is in the files. Turns out Axis powers scientists were given immunity after the war and they conducted experiments. Mulder finds a train car filled with alien bodies and CSM burns it. To be continued.

3.1 “The Blessing Way” Albert Holsteen provides the narration for Mulder’s journey back to life. Holsteen and his kin nurse Mulder back to health. Meanwhile, Scully is relieved of duty and finds a metallic object embedded in her neck. The hacker from the previous episodes gets got but we all saw that coming. Scully undergoes hypnotherapy to remember how the computer chip gets into her body. We meet well-manicured man here as he talks to Scully after daddy Mulder’s funeral and warns her about how she will be killed. She takes the advice to heart and pulls a gun on Skinner. Unfortunately, Krycek kills Scully’s sister. The episode ends with Scully and Skinner sitting in Mulder’s apartment with their guns pointed at each other.

3.2 “Paper Clip” Mulder walks in and pulls his gun on Skinner. I’m sorry but if I were Skinner, I would have run both of their asses out of the FBI after that incident. We get back to the conspiracy with the Nazi scientists which lead Scully & Mulder to an underground facility with lots and lots of files. There are medical files with small pox vaccination forms and tissue sample cases and the file containing his sister’s info was originally meant for him. Skinner gets his butt kicked by Krycek who also steals the tape. Krycek’s fidelity is repaid by his car being bombed but our favorite slimy weasel survives and makes sure CSM knows the score. Well-Manicured Man spins a tale of the government using tissue samples to try to create an alien/human hybrid. Samantha was taken as insurance because daddy Mulder threatened to expose the program. Mommy Mulder confirms that she was asked to make Sophie’s Choice and she wouldn’t do it. I guess we know why that marriage failed. Then we get to one of my favorite moments of the series: Skinner’s confrontation with CSM about the tapes and Albert Holsteen. Skinner grew several pair and it is glorious.

3.3 “D.P.O.” Giovanni Ribisi is our guest star this week and he conducts electricity with his best friend Jack Black. Local law enforcement is behaving like a dick toward Scully and Mulder just watches it happen. Darrin is a sociopath who kills people with lightning and causes car crashes by controlling the lights. He’s also in love with his former teacher/boss’s wife and you feel sorry for this poor woman who does not ask to be and does not want to be the object of Darren’s obsession. Jack Black gets electrocuted and so does the law enforcement dick and the sociopath ends up in a mental institution. Oh well.

3.4 “Clyde Bruckman’s Final Repose” This episode gets the mixture of humor and horror and is one of the best episodes of the series. Peter Boyle is great and deserved the Emmy he won as a man who sees how everyone dies. That knowledge is not a power he wants and it takes a tremendous toll on him psychologically. He reluctantly helps Mulder and Scully catch a serial killer and helps Scully obtain a dog (while dropping the tidbit that Scully doesn’t die). Pretty much everything about this episode is perfect.

3.5 “The List” did it have to be maggots and did there have to be so many of them. I feel like we had the warden abusing black prisoners episode not that long ago with “Fresh Bones.” Instead of Haitians we have African Americans. A recently executed man is exacting revenge from beyond the grave. Rather than go the Voodou route, we have reincarnation. Bokeem Woodbine and J.T. Walsh are our guest stars and both do a good job.

3.6 “2Shy” gives a serial predator who targets plus-sized women and he’s literally digesting their fat tissue. The sexism is strong with local law enforcement and it’s not even a bit subtle. If the phrase “I’m not being sexist but…” comes out of your mouth, you know some sexist nonsense is about to be said. Online dating shows its age in this episode. The last woman violated every rule about meeting people from the Internet IRL. She did redeem herself by popping a cap in his ass.

3.7 “The Walk” a quadriplegic Gulf War vet finds a way to exact vengeance on his CO’s by killing them and their families thanks to astral projection. Aside from the fact that Rappo’s diatribe about The Gulf War sounds a hell of a lot like what veterans say about the current wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the episode itself is just okay. Willie Garson plays a pretty thankless role here.

3.8 “Oubliette” A young girl, played by Jewel Staite, is abducted from her home by a predator. A former abduction victim is experiencing what the current victim is. Scully’s lack of empathy for Lucy is disturbing. Mulder is the only person who treats Lucy as the victim/survivor that she is and not as an automatic suspect. Scully suspects Lucy because she has Amy’s blood on her. Mulder has an explanation: Lucy bled Amy’s blood. Scully doesn’t have an explanation since over one dozen people alibi Lucy as being 20 miles away when the kidnapping happens.
Old 05-17-18, 04:51 PM   #90
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacaway View Post
I'm with LJG on this one. I generally like Hitchcock movies but felt that one was pretty bad. I found nothing to like.

I also don't much care for The Birds. The visual effects always take me out of the film. They get raves but I just don't get it. To me they look like bad TV visual effects or something from a lesser Bert I. Gordon movie.
Old 05-17-18, 05:21 PM   #91
DVD Talk Hero

I'm a Hitchcock fan, but Marnie is just an unpleasant watch.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2018 | Drive-In 2018 | Leap Day 2016
Old 05-18-18, 09:13 AM   #92
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My X-Files backlog is complete. I'm all caught up on my posts

3.9 “Nisei” The alien conspiracy deepens. Mulder orders an alien autopsy video from the back of a magazine and it leads the duo down the rabbit hole. Scully meets a group of women who claim to be abductees and who recognize her. One of them is dying of cancer and they claim they are all consigned to the same fate. In the meantime, while we’ve heard of Nazi involvement in testing, now we hear that the Japanese were running their own program and several doctors just got pumped full of holes for their trouble. The train car that may or may not have a live alien specimen on it is rolling across America and Mulder hitches a ride.

3.10 “731” Scully is learning more info about the implant in her neck (we met Agent Pendrell in the previous episode and he’s so smitten with Scully that it’s ridiculous). We follow Scully to what we’re told is a leper colony where soldiers have been murdering the residents. Mulder’s adventures involve a man claiming to be an NSA agent and a bomb on the train. Scully gets a monologue from the First Elder (I didn’t know this was the character’s name until now) about the experiments one of the doctors was conducting on innocent people. According to him, the government perpetuates the alien conspiracy to cover up the experiments. I don’t know which version of the story to believe. The story ends with Mulder getting knocked out again and X dragging Mulder out of the train car right before it explodes.

3.11 “Revelations” R. Lee Ermey (RIP) doesn’t even make it out of the cold open. This episode sees Scully rediscovering her religious beliefs. People displaying the stigmata are being targeted. They previous victims, including Ermey, have been fake but we meet a young boy who is the real deal. Scully and Mulder have a profound discussion about the difference between her faith and his and I find them both to be hypocritical on the issue. It is possible to believe in one thing and not believe in another but that doesn’t give you the right to pee on what other people believe and that’s exactly what both of them are doing.

3.12 “War of the Coprophages” dammit, the cockroach episode. I really do not like roaches. It’s a good episode but I can’t get past the creepy roach factor. Seriously, I spent most of this re-watch looking at my computer screen instead of my TV screen. Yuck.

3.13 “Syzygy” Wow, a super young Ryan Reynolds doesn’t make it out of the cold open. Two obnoxious, stereotypical valley girls are in the middle of a rare planetary convergence that makes all the power of the cosmos focus on them. Murder and mayhem commence. Everyone, including Mulder and Scully behave like idiots and it’s not a good look for our dynamic duo. What I don’t believe is that those two girls don’t end up behind bars at the end of the episode. Cosmic power or not, they are responsible for at least five deaths and nobody walks away from that. Sure, fine, whatever.

3.14 “Grotesque” Kurtwood Smith is our guest star and he plays Mulder’s former boss over in behavioral sciences. A serial killer with an affection for gargoyles claims to have been possessed. The fact that a murder happens while the suspect is in custody raises some questions. This is one of those episodes that just doesn’t make an impression. I’ve seen this episode at least 6 times over the years but couldn’t remember what happens in the episode. I didn’t remember that Smith was the second killer until it was revealed.

3.15 “Piper Maru” Oh my, here comes the sentient black oil. French divers discover something at the bottom of the ocean that gives most of them radiation poisoning and one of them comes back with the black oil. The story goes that there is a nuclear bomb from WWII chilling on the ocean floor and everybody is trying to get their hands on it. Mulder meets Krycek in Hong Kong and the black oil person follows him and causes all sorts of glowie mayhem while Skinner gets shot ostensibly because he doesn’t want to close the investigation into Melissa Scully’s murder. The episode ends with Krycek walking toward the camera showing the audience that the black oil has taken over.

3.16 “Apocrypha” Krycek goes all glowie when CSM’s men run him and Mulder off the road. The Syndicate is pissed at CSM over Skinner’s shooting. In his quest to find Krycek, Mulder has a chat with Well-Manicured Man who doesn’t know much of anything. Black oil Krycek makes a deal with CSM: the digital tape in exchange for passage back to his ship. Scully catches up with the man who shot Skinner and Melissa Scully (though Cardinal tries to blame Krycek for the latter). The dynamic duo in up in North Dakota but CSM stops them before they can see the downed UFO or see Krycek throwing up his new friend. Cardinal dies in his cell by an apparent suicide (not likely) and Krycek desperately wants out of the room. I don't remember how he gets out of there.
Old 05-18-18, 09:48 AM   #93

Just wanted to remind anyone that's looking for something to watch. Vudu has thousands of free movies. They're ad-supported, but the commercial breaks are only 45 seconds every 20-30 minutes. There's a good selection of popular movies. And they also have a bunch of obscure, hard-to-find movies that aren't available on other streaming services.

I just watched the 80's Ninja movie Pray For Death (a Vudu freebie). I remember thinking this stuff was really cool back when I was a young teen. But watching it today, it's such a cheesy flick.
Old 05-18-18, 04:35 PM   #94
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
I'm with LJG on this one. I generally like Hitchcock movies but felt that one was pretty bad. I found nothing to like.

I also don't much care for The Birds. The visual effects always take me out of the film. They get raves but I just don't get it. To me they look like bad TV visual effects or something from a lesser Bert I. Gordon movie.
Maybe it's because I watched it as a kid and liked it before I realized how bad the birds were? I like the premise of it and for whatever reason, I can suspend my disbelief long enough to enjoy the film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I'm a Hitchcock fan, but Marnie is just an unpleasant watch.
Yes, it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
Just wanted to remind anyone that's looking for something to watch. Vudu has thousands of free movies. They're ad-supported, but the commercial breaks are only 45 seconds every 20-30 minutes. There's a good selection of popular movies. And they also have a bunch of obscure, hard-to-find movies that aren't available on other streaming services.
Thanks, always good to have the reminder! I do forget about this.
Old 05-18-18, 07:27 PM   #95
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Maybe it's because I watched it as a kid and liked it before I realized how bad the birds were?
And yet the special effects received an Oscar nomination that year! I've watched it several times thinking I'll finally see what was so great to get the nomination but always come away puzzled and wondering what the Oscar nomination committee saw that I do not.
Old 05-18-18, 08:20 PM   #96
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
And yet the special effects received an Oscar nomination that year! I've watched it several times thinking I'll finally see what was so great to get the nomination but always come away puzzled and wondering what the Oscar nomination committee saw that I do not.
I don't have the energy to look up what it was competing against, but perhaps its competitors were that bad? Or at the time, it was good?

Just had my first fail in a long time. Usually, I can manage to get through a film even if I dislike it, but just could not make it past 20 minutes. I put on Bringing Up Baby and hated it. It might be a classic slapstick movie but all I wanted to do was strangle Susan. Blah!
Old 05-18-18, 08:33 PM   #97
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I don't have the energy to look up what it was competing against, but perhaps its competitors were that bad? Or at the time, it was good?
Ha, I was thinking the same thing, that we shouldn't look at it through 2018 eyes. The winner (and only other nominee) that year was Cleopatra, which I'm sure looks as dated as heck now.

Random trivia when I looked at the list: They had separate color and black-and-white nomination lists for categories such as costume design, cinematography, and art design.

Quote:
Just had my first fail in a long time. Usually, I can manage to get through a film even if I dislike it, but just could not make it past 20 minutes. I put on Bringing Up Baby and hated it. It might be a classic slapstick movie but all I wanted to do was strangle Susan. Blah!
That one underwhelmed me too when I saw it, and I saw the whole thing so I don't think you missed much. I prefer The Philadelphia Story.
Old 05-18-18, 08:51 PM   #98
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
That one underwhelmed me too when I saw it, and I saw the whole thing so I don't think you missed much. I prefer The Philadelphia Story.
Good to know I wasn't the only one! It wasn't on my original list, but I was watching with my mom and chose something I thought she'd like as well as something that would count for me. I was going to let her keep watching as she did laugh once or twice but she chose TV over the movie!

The Philadelphia Story is also on my too watch eventually list, but it just got pushed down a lot further, I have to admit!
Old 05-18-18, 10:27 PM   #99
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Good to know I wasn't the only one! It wasn't on my original list, but I was watching with my mom and chose something I thought she'd like as well as something that would count for me. I was going to let her keep watching as she did laugh once or twice but she chose TV over the movie!

The Philadelphia Story is also on my too watch eventually list, but it just got pushed down a lot further, I have to admit!
Warning: James Stewart is in it.
Old 05-18-18, 10:44 PM   #100
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Warning: James Stewart is in it.
And down it goes even further!