Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Ninth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2018

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Ninth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2018

Old 05-05-18, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: The Ninth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2018

I just discovered a great show. I woke up in the night, and was looking for something to watch for my Challenge. I came across Grudge Race, on NBC Sports Network. It reminded me of when I used to watch Pinks, on the Speed Channel.
Old 05-05-18, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: The Ninth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2018

I'm going to downgrade my theme. I'm just not going to be able to cover both aspects that I wanted to, so I'm going to go full on with the Canadian film theme. I'll save the "not on HD" theme for next year, although that will only limit my choices more next year.

I'm going to note any movie that is an obvious Canadian setting (shows a flag or mentions a Canadian location) with a little flag emblem. So it's all "Oh, Canada!" now!
Old 05-05-18, 11:40 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

I watched Miracle Mile last night for my 80's challenge. It's such a great flick. I haven't seen it in years. But it still holds up well today.
Old 05-06-18, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Two more X-Files. Things are going to slow down a bit as I head out of town for vacation.

“Shapes” Our first glimpse into Native American culture for the series. We’ll be back. This is a basic werewolf story with Native American culture mixed in. I don’t know if the mythology, traditions, and customs are accurate but some of the tropes feel a wee bit stereotypical. In some of the previous episodes, local law enforcement was hostile to Mulder and Scully for no apparent reason. Here, the locals had every reason to be hostile so at least everyone’s behavior made sense.

“Darkness Falls” Oh the joyous effects of deforestation: you keep cutting down trees and sometimes you run into something unexpected. This time it’s creepy, green, glowie bugs that cocoon and eat people when the lights go out. This episode makes me itch. Titus Welliver is rocking an unfortunate mustache. Which reminds me, I need to watch the new season of Bosch sooner or later.
Old 05-07-18, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

I watched the first couple of discs of that Wild Kingdom set I'd purchased (I looked it up for fun - it's going for stupid high prices). It is good, nostalgic, fun.

My oldest grandson joined me for a half-season's worth of Duck Dynasty and just about laughed himself silly (OK... sillier...).
Old 05-07-18, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I watched the first couple of discs of that Wild Kingdom set I'd purchased (I looked it up for fun - it's going for stupid high prices). It is good, nostalgic, fun.

My oldest grandson joined me for a half-season's worth of Duck Dynasty and just about laughed himself silly (OK... sillier...).
Wild Kingdom is also available on YouTube. I might watch some episodes this month, as I believe it falls under my challenge as well, being a documentary show too.

I was going to watch an episode of Africa earlier today, but if I want to watch it, I'll either have to use my PlayStation 4, or my regular Blu Ray player. I tried watching it on my Xbox, but I guess the disc was smudged or something. My Xbox one is picky at playing DVDs.
Old 05-09-18, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I've not had a lot of free time, but tonight turned on the TV for the first time in about 4 days. Looked at my list and decided to go with Funny Face since I'm a fan of Audrey Hepburn. I'm enjoying the dance numbers while trying to ignore the fact that Hepburn and Astaire have 30 some years in-between them. Also trying to ignore the fact that Jo is supposed to be an American even with a heavy European accent who has never been to Paris before.

I am enjoying it overall...I do think more movies could have such theatrical song and dance numbers! (That may be why I really enjoyed The Greatest Showman...!)
Old 05-10-18, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

Enjoying my Tarantino challenge so far, even only two films in. I've been rewatching the films where I can and also watching the bonus materials. Since he didn't direct a huge number of films, I'm going to work in some writing credits as well. I find the non-linear plot structure rewards a second viewing (I've seen almost all of these before, but some not in several years). I'm also hoping to go chronologically as much as possible.

Originally Posted by LJG765
I've not had a lot of free time, but tonight turned on the TV for the first time in about 4 days. Looked at my list and decided to go with Funny Face since I'm a fan of Audrey Hepburn. I'm enjoying the dance numbers while trying to ignore the fact that Hepburn and Astaire have 30 some years in-between them. Also trying to ignore the fact that Jo is supposed to be an American even with a heavy European accent who has never been to Paris before.

I am enjoying it overall...I do think more movies could have such theatrical song and dance numbers! (That may be why I really enjoyed The Greatest Showman...!)
The movie is a little awkward and dated, but the stars are great, as are the songs.
Old 05-10-18, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
The movie is a little awkward and dated, but the stars are great, as are the songs.
Dated is a great way to describe it. The quality of the film is great, music numbers were well done, loved the costuming and setting. But...some of the dialogue was cringe-worthy. A lot of the casually thrown out there dialogue relating to Jo and women in general, for instance.

That being said, it is a watchable movie and Mickey Rooney's character in Breakfast at Tiffany's is MUCH more cringe-worthy.
Old 05-11-18, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Woke up early today, and was in the mood to hit my Challenge hard today. I looked to see what I could find on Dish, and came across an episode of What On Earth?, on Science. I think my favorite segment of the episode was when lampreys were being discussed, since it hits close to home. That's because I remember when they were a big problem in Lake Erie.
Old 05-11-18, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I took a bit of a break last night and watched a few episodes from my Outer Limits S1 BR. That's a great program! Say what you want about The Twilight Zone (and I do like that one very much) - but it's The Outer Limits for me!
Old 05-11-18, 12:42 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I took a bit of a break last night and watched a few episodes from my Outer Limits S1 BR. That's a great program! Say what you want about The Twilight Zone (and I do like that one very much) - but it's The Outer Limits for me!
I have The Outer Limits earmarked for July's Sci-fi challenge. May slip a couple into my Geek challenge though.
Old 05-11-18, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been in the mood for sci fi lately myself. As such, I've been trying to work what sci fi I could into my challenge. At the moment, I'm taking the opportunity to continue my way through my Ancient Aliens collection. I restarted last month with Season 1, and currently am close to finishing Season 3, being on the last disc. I haven't decided yet if I am going to move on to Season 4 yet, or change gears to something else yet.

I don't know if I still have it, but my ex gf once gave me a copy of Season One of the original Outer Limits.
Old 05-11-18, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I've been in the mood for sci fi lately myself. As such, I've been trying to work what sci fi I could into my challenge. At the moment, I'm taking the opportunity to continue my way through my Ancient Aliens collection. I restarted last month with Season 1, and currently am close to finishing Season 3, being on the last disc. I haven't decided yet if I am going to move on to Season 4 yet, or change gears to something else yet.

I don't know if I still have it, but my ex gf once gave me a copy of Season One of the original Outer Limits.
I have S1-6 of Ancient Aliens and have been wondering if they're considered "reality" type shows... basically an excuse to work in a couple of seasons of that one I've not gotten to yet. I lean more towards pseudoscience/pseudohistory/SF genres with them but the guys who do the interviews seem so convinced they're right...
Old 05-11-18, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just watched From Dusk Till Dawn (Tarantino wrote the script and acts) and am now listening to the Rodriguez/Tarantino commentary. If I finish all my Tarantino movies this month, maybe I'll add some non-Tarantino Rodriguez.
Old 05-12-18, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Among the other shows I'm working on, when I have a Netflix DVD at home, I also work on that. Right now I'm working on Disc 2 of The Life Of Birds. I have always had a soft spot for the BBC Nature documentaries.
Old 05-12-18, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I have always had a soft spot for the BBC Nature documentaries.
Same here. They do 'em better than just about everyone else. If Attenborough is narrating I consider it a no brainer purchase.
Old 05-13-18, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I never thought I'd say this about a pregame show, but I just finished watching the Pirates pregame show, and it was quite moving, with all of the talk of the players' mothers for Mother's Day. One story particularly was touching, with a touch of jeopardy as well. A player from Venezuela once had his mother abducted from her home by a group of rogue police. She was found fur days later at a policeman's home. They wanted ransom money, since they knew her son played for the Pirates.
Old 05-13-18, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tonight's viewing was Baby Driver. It wasn't bad. Liked the music. Best part of the whole film were the opening scenes. Don't think I need to re-watch it anytime soon, though.
Old 05-14-18, 09:18 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

My wife has been making decent choices this month, a combination of things she wants to watch with me, and things she knows I’d enjoy without her. But that ended the other day, when she “made me watch” Gone With the Wind. It’s not that I don’t somewhat enjoy the film, but once a decade is probably enough. 4 hours when I’m already behind schedule this month didn’t help things, but I must confess to appreciating most aspects of it this viewing, and it kept my undivided attention more of the running time than I figured. Still think the first half would work well as the entire film, but the second half is just as good.
Old 05-14-18, 09:58 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

[QUOTE=Trevor;13331182]My wife has been making decent choices this month, a combination of things she wants to watch with me, and things she knows I’d enjoy without her. But that ended the other day, when she “made me watch” Gone With the Wind.

A great film, but your right about rewatchability. You having watch GWTW gave me an idea for a May Challenge - Watch the top 100 films of all time.
Old 05-14-18, 09:58 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

[QUOTE=Trevor;13331182]My wife has been making decent choices this month, a combination of things she wants to watch with me, and things she knows I’d enjoy without her. But that ended the other day, when she “made me watch” Gone With the Wind.

A great film, but your right about rewatchability. Because you mentioned GWTW, it gave me an idea for a May Challenge - Watch the top 100 films of all time.
Old 05-14-18, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
A great film, but your right about rewatchability. Because you mentioned GWTW, it gave me an idea for a May Challenge - Watch the top 100 films of all time.
Man, that would be tough. It's one thing to hit 100 during the Horror Challenge when so many qualifying titles are 90 minutes or less. Most films listed in a top 100 list are substantially longer. I'd be impressed if anyone could pull that off.
Old 05-14-18, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I respect GWTW more than I enjoy it. It's been several years since I saw it, though.
Old 05-14-18, 10:39 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Man, that would be tough. It's one thing to hit 100 during the Horror Challenge when so many qualifying titles are 90 minutes or less. Most films listed in a top 100 list are substantially longer. I'd be impressed if anyone could pull that off.
Agreed. I once watched every Oscar Best Picture winner for an Academy Award Challenge, but that was only 85 or so films, and iirc there were 5+ weeks that Challenge. Still, it was exhausting, with the typically longer and often emotionally draining films. Challenges filled with “lighter” fare like TV or horror or action are much easier imo.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.