Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Ninth Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge April 1-30, 2018

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: caligulathegod
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

STORE ONLY 15% OFF Coupons -- I and II may finally be dead, but I'll leave them for now. III was reported still active in Jan.
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (I)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (II)
15% OFF Single Item Exp ?? (III)

10% off Whole Order
HEYTHERE -- unknown exp

15% OFF Single Item
EASTEREGG
I think this is now expired

"New Member" Welcome Coupons
Welcome coupons may be dead -- or at least the type that have been available for nearly a decade. The latest set now have what appears to be single use codes so these probably no longer will be generic/multiple use style.
Print Wikipost

Ninth Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge April 1-30, 2018

Old 04-14-18, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts
Re: Ninth Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge April 1-30, 2018

After I finished Mandrake the Magician serial I went ahead and watched the rest of King of the Rocketmen. The ending of that one gets me every time - I forget about all the destruction!

After that I opened my Aussie copy of The Adventures of Sir Galahad. The menu on it does not improve on the one on their "Panther Girl" release. Without pulling that one I'd say it's the same layout and "jazzy" music that absolutely does not fit. That might not be so bad but there's no "Play All" on the menu and each chapter actually goes back to the menu instead of just segueing into the next like many serial releases do. That means you hear that music at the end of every chapter - and it loops rather than playing once and stopping.

The print isn't as good as their "Panther Girl" release and shows its age. There's lots of print damage, a bit washed out, lots of noise in blacks, and the worst... the lip sync is off on every chapter. Some are worse than others. There are also some interlacing issues on display every so often. Chapter 11 ends abruptly. I'm guessing the print was damaged beyond repair or totally missing the last 3 or so minutes.

It's watchable, but is in need of a VCI treatment (or better).

It's also entertaining and a bit goofy at times. It opens with a "tournament" which consists of a pair of contestants jousting at the same time with no separating rail. They just run at each other. One pair knocks the other down and wins the tournament. It takes a whole 30 seconds for the entire sequence! There's also a segment where Reeves' character gets caught in a corridor with the walls, sword blades having come out, doing the compression routine. I'll not give anything away but it's rather amusing how he gets free and the subsequent scene in that area. It also has several fun scenes with Merlin or Morgana disappearing on screen and other magic tricks.
Old 04-14-18, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

I may have just seen the most sublime/ridiculous, epic/over-the-top, crazy/brilliant scene ever filmed. Made all the crazier by the events that led up to it.

From Furious 7:

Spoiler:
The Rock shooting down a helicopter...
...with the minigun he pulled off a drone...
...that he knocked out of the sky...
...with an ambulence...
...that he stole from the hospital...
...that he was recuperating in...
...from the multiple injuries he suffered...
...falling from a multi-storey building...
...while protecting his colleague...
...after they both got blown up by a grenade...
...after a fight with Jason Statham.

Phew.

Whoever choreographed the stunts (and fights) in these films - especially 4, 5, 6 and 7 - deserves a LOT of credit.
Old 04-14-18, 08:05 PM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just watched Party Bus To Hell (2017) and thought Tara Reid's mother was guest appearing. It was actually Tara Reid doing some kind of Mummynado. This flick sucks however but the nudity all the way through it redeems it somehow.
Old 04-14-18, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Picked up some nice exploitation from Diabolik when I got the Trailer Trauma 4 sale. Looks like Crown International but might actually deliver.

Mama's Dirty Girls, with the always reliable Candice Rialson. Any movie that starts with lingering views of a topless Candy Rialson is worth it.
along with
SuperVan.
Piranha! Piranha!

And All Night Grindhouse Marathon (1964-1970): The Velvet Trap, The Tale of the Dean's Wife, Marcy, Hot Nights on the Campus, Sex and the College Girl & Shut Up and Deal

Edited to add, All Night Grindhouse Marathons suuuuuuuuuuucks.

Last edited by caligulathegod; 04-15-18 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-15-18, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

R.I.P. Lee Ermey.

Also the links in the Distributors/Studios tables now require an IMDB Pro membership to view them.
Old 04-16-18, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
R.I.P. Lee Ermey.
He appears in MACHETE MAIDENS if anyone wants to do some honoring.
Old 04-16-18, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I checked out the Black Charley movies starring Fred Williamson- the first "The Legend Of Black Charley" is good, a nice mix of racial drama and western that combines the two really well and is an emotional ride. The sequel "The Soul Of Black Charley" isn't quite as good, as it is more of a straight forward western with a bit of the racial drama that makes the first one special sprinkled in. It's not even a particularly strong western but it was still entertaining. I haven't watched the third film "Boss" in a few years but I do remember liking it and would rank it in between the first two films. This is a trilogy of blaxploiation westerns that I think are definitely worth checking out if you are looking for a bit more obscure blaxploitation.
Old 04-17-18, 11:56 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Anything Fred Williamson gets my vote
Old 04-17-18, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

I've been watching the Andy Hardy series. Many of those movies I've not seen in decades. It's quite fun revisiting those old friends as I'd wondered if they'd hold up. For me, they do!
Old 04-17-18, 08:04 PM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just finished a camp classic by Donald Farmer called Cannibal Hookers (1987) where he's telling you to practice safe sex or to just stay away from hookers. Either way it was good SOV fun.
Old 04-17-18, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

The Twilight People with a young Pam Grier was more fun than I expected. VCI actually did a respectable film transfer for Blu-ray for once. The movie rips off The Island of Dr. Moreau.

http://doblu.com/2018/04/16/twilight...lu-ray-review/
Old 04-18-18, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Today would be a good day to watch a Superman serial if someone was so inclined. Today is Superman’s 80th birthday.
Old 04-19-18, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I watched Dead Eye Dick. I don't know what they were going for with that wig. I didn't even recognize her at first. But, I have to admit, after I got a good look at her with the wig, I kinda dug it. She made it work, and was looking really cute. Plus, I got a good laugh out of the scene where they were bouncing around on the floor, and she had to clumsily grab at the wig to keep it from falling off.
More bad wig sightings!
Spoiler:

Courtesy of Rene Bond in The Cocktail Waitresses. And yes, she wears this thing for the entire movie!
Old 04-20-18, 12:19 AM

Bleah! I've seen better heads on boils!

Hey, it's 4/20. Good day for stoner films.
Old 04-20-18, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
More bad wig sightings!
Spoiler:

Courtesy of Rene Bond in The Cocktail Waitresses. And yes, she wears this thing for the entire movie!
I don't have that one.
Spoiler:
I kinda like the look.

I'm working my way through the Schulmadchen-Report series. They really should've showed us these movies back when I was taking German in high school.
Old 04-20-18, 08:55 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Hey, it's 4/20. Good day for stoner films.
Yep and I celebrated with a double feature. First was Up in Smoke. I though I must have seen this before but I didn't remember anything (of course maybe I was too smokey myself all those years ago!) so I called it a first time view. Very funny, especially the first 10 or 15 minutes. I followed that up with a more recent movie Budz House also good but not as funny as Cheech and Chong.

And yesterday I watched one of the best so bad it's good movies I've seen in a long time, Alley Tramp, a sleazy number directed by Herschell Gordon Lewis. Awful acting across the board and a bizarre plot had me laughing throughout. So, a good couple of days for comedy.
Old 04-20-18, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

I caught Evil Bong 777 since Full Moon shits one out every 4/20. This is the first of seven I actually kinda liked. That probably had something to do with the 59 minute runtime, being in Vegas, and in a movie prop shop full of memorabilia from better films. Also caught 4/20 Massacre. Pretty much a by-the-numbers slasher, but it did have some inventive kills.

And since I haven't seen it in ages, I'll also catch Up in Smoke, which I'd completely forgotten about ordering (arrived today!).
Old 04-22-18, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe I'm expressing some sort of shellshock from this challenge, but I have to say how bizarre it feels to be watching so much rampant sex/nudity in films from yesterday compared to what we see on big screens today! It's just baffling to me how the theatrical experience differs so much in comparison.

Anyways, I mentioned Erwin C. Dietrich's passing in an earlier post and, after just viewing it, a film he was involved with caused me to bring this up. Though I don't know how much he was involved with the final cut, I think I may have found my favorite treasure of this year's challenge with I am a Groupie.
Old 04-22-18, 12:32 AM

Yeah, year nine does feel more subversive than year one.
Old 04-22-18, 10:27 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

i am surprised Roberta Findlay isn't on the save directors list. Just finished watching the Vinegar Syndrome Double Feature - Prime Evil and The Lurkers. B-Movie exploitation at its worst
Old 04-22-18, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

More bad wig sightings!
Spoiler:

This one is pretty bad.

Spoiler:
IMDb says this is Monica Gayle with the grey wig.
NSFW:

Dr. Dildo's Secret (1970)
Old 04-22-18, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Maybe I'm expressing some sort of shellshock from this challenge, but I have to say how bizarre it feels to be watching so much rampant sex/nudity in films from yesterday compared to what we see on big screens today! It's just baffling to me how the theatrical experience differs so much in comparison.
Sex and nudity were included in movies for male audiences. There has been an absolute sea change by Hollywood over the past 15 years on including them. Hollywood is making fewer and fewer movies today aimed solely at men, and there really doesn't exist a solid b-movie tranche of production anymore that often fueled exploitation. Premium cable seems to be one of the last hold-outs.
Old 04-22-18, 05:45 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Anyone know what's up with the May MYO Challenge?
Old 04-22-18, 08:10 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Anyone know what's up with the May MYO Challenge?
Woah, this month is moving fast! Dx is starting the thread tonight, right?
Old 04-22-18, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dimension X
This one is pretty bad.

Spoiler:
IMDb says this is Monica Gayle with the grey wig.
NSFW:

Dr. Dildo's Secret (1970)
Nooooo

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.