Reload this Page >

Ninth Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge April 1-30, 2018

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: caligulathegod
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

STORE ONLY 15% OFF Coupons -- I and II may finally be dead, but I'll leave them for now. III was reported still active in Jan.
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (I)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (II)
15% OFF Single Item Exp ?? (III)

10% off Whole Order
HEYTHERE -- unknown exp

15% OFF Single Item
EASTEREGG
I think this is now expired

"New Member" Welcome Coupons
Welcome coupons may be dead -- or at least the type that have been available for nearly a decade. The latest set now have what appears to be single use codes so these probably no longer will be generic/multiple use style.
Print Wikipost

Ninth Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge April 1-30, 2018

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-18, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: Ninth Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge April 1-30, 2018

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
Just got Threads in the mail. I was looking forward to it. By "day ruiners" i assume you mean it is depressing?
Grave of the Fireflies (1988) level depressing.
Old 04-05-18, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got Threads in the mail. I was looking forward to it. By "day ruiners" i assume you mean it is depressing?
Yeah, I watched it right before bed which probably has pros and cons to it but at least I didn't have to sulk around thinking about it all day lol!
Old 04-05-18, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Sergio Corbucci's 1972 western Sonny And Jed is good fun! A fun Bonnie and Clyde type story that Tomas Milian and Susan George are absolutely fantastic together in and it has a brillant and severely overlooked score by Ennio Morricone. This was a fun "pick me up" after Threads last night.
Old 04-05-18, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Grave of the Fireflies (1988) level depressing.
Grave is the only movie that actually made me cry.
Old 04-05-18, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Robot Love Slaves was a snooze.
I was afraid of that. Knowing that, I doubt the Bat Pussy Blu-ray will ever drop down to an acceptable price for me to buy (I don't see any need to upgrade Bat Pussy, so my only excuse to buy it was Robot Love Slaves).

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
A good opening day, so far, for me...Considering that I sat through an entire Insane Clown Posse-movie which (To my great surprise) turned out to be tolerable. One Other cringeworthy problem (If Dimension X is watching) was my first movie starring Uschi had her in a blasted wig At least my Neola was spared
I watched Dead Eye Dick. I don't know what they were going for with that wig. I didn't even recognize her at first. But, I have to admit, after I got a good look at her with the wig, I kinda dug it. She made it work, and was looking really cute. Plus, I got a good laugh out of the scene where they were bouncing around on the floor, and she had to clumsily grab at the wig to keep it from falling off.
Old 04-05-18, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Happy Birthday to Roger Corman. Born April 5, 1926 (age 92).

http://deadline.com/2018/04/roger-co...ht-1202357825/

"Roger Corman — the prolific producer and director who received an honorary Oscar in 2009 — is being sued by his sons over the sale of his film library, which they argue is part of an irrevocable trust established in the late 1970s. The lawsuit is the latest in an ugly longstanding battle between the sons — Roger Martin Corman and Brian William Corman — and their parents, the elder Mr. Corman and Julie Corman."
Old 04-05-18, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Today, I watched the bumbling made-for-TV movie Mazes and Monsters. It capitalizes on the D&D panic of the early 80s and tells the story of four college students who immerse themselves in a role-playing game. One of them gets a little too immersed because the game is DANGEROUS! The movie feels quaint and silly now - as moral panics often do after the fact. As an added bonus, I watched an 1985 60 Minutes segment on the controversy.
Old 04-05-18, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Since the challenge started on Easter, I wanted to start off with some Christploitation, so I started off with RISEN, which was better and not as didactic as expected. I followed it up with the classic big-budget flop THE SILVER CHALICE which I hadn't seen since I was a kid. Great campy Jack Palance performance, but seeing it in widescreen color it really looked chinzy.

Later in the week, inspired by a Cinesavant review on Trailers from Hell, I watched RED PLANET MARS. Sounds like a sci-fi adventure flick. but there are no martians, no battles, no monsters and a lot of talk. It's more of a cold war propaganda film. Very enjoyable, but I bet there were a lot of boys who saw it expecting a space monster and came away sorely disappointed.
Old 04-05-18, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Seeds was one of those rare occasions I didn't completely regret buying an Andy Milligan film. Sort of reminded me of the dysfunctional family from Shameless, but with murder, incest, shoddy production values and a much less attractive cast. But in all seriousness, I do think he's a bit underrated. Somewhat.

And then there's The Wild, Wild World Of Jayne Mansfield. It's just a fun fluff-ridden travelogue with her doing her trademark dumb blonde shtick while traveling to Cannes, Rome, some nude beaches, etc. That is, until she doesn't;
Spoiler:
completely out of left field towards the end, the camera shows the perspective of a car speeding down the highway, screeching brakes are heard, and the screen transitions to a black & white photo of the car wreck in New Orleans that killed her and two others. In other words, it ends with her bloody, mangled dead body on the pavement, and that's promptly followed by a memorial from her family. Good times.
Old 04-06-18, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

^What I said about TWWWOJM in an earlier challenge: "A very odd compilation (Was the ending taken from a completely different film?)"

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I watched Dead Eye Dick. I don't know what they were going for with that wig. I didn't even recognize her at first. But, I have to admit, after I got a good look at her with the wig, I kinda dug it. She made it work, and was looking really cute. Plus, I got a good laugh out of the scene where they were bouncing around on the floor, and she had to clumsily grab at the wig to keep it from falling off.
Did the copy you saw have any titles? Mine didn't. And it was a shame since this is a cool looking font/title (The print damage helps of course) I'm guessing this must have been screengrabbed by it's trailer.
Old 04-06-18, 08:31 PM

That reminds me, I have to get Mansfield 66/67.
Old 04-06-18, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Did the copy you saw have any titles? Mine didn't. And it was a shame since this is a cool looking font/title (The print damage helps of course) I'm guessing this must have been screengrabbed by it's trailer.
Just a title card, no credits, and it was only onscreen for a couple of seconds so it would easily be lost if the print suffered any damage at the beginning of the first reel.

Spoiler:
Old 04-06-18, 09:57 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
Later in the week, inspired by a Cinesavant review on Trailers from Hell, I watched RED PLANET MARS. Sounds like a sci-fi adventure flick. but there are no martians, no battles, no monsters and a lot of talk. It's more of a cold war propaganda film. Very enjoyable, but I bet there were a lot of boys who saw it expecting a space monster and came away sorely disappointed.
Yep, that was exactly my experience when I saw it on TV as a youngster. I picked it up on VHS many years later and appreciated it more. It's been a while since I watched it so it may be time to check it out again.

I've had a pretty good run the last couple of days, enjoying Moonshine County Express, Bloodfist III: Forced to Fight, and Stunt Rock quite a bit. Then I ran into The Electric Chair (1976), filmed in the Carolinas and with some really tedious stretches and lame dialogue. There were a few bright spots that saved the 90 minutes but maybe it's not always a good idea to see the uncut version. Still, it made me feel better. I was beginning to think that I was enjoying the movies so far way too much.
Old 04-07-18, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I took a couple days off, as I wasn't in the mood for movies. Reading this thread got me rarin to go though. Just watched my first movie of the day, Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla II.
Old 04-07-18, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

I sincerely hope Exploitation.tv hasn't bitten the dust. Doesn't look good: the Roku app hasn't worked in ages, no major updates since September, and the newer VS releases now only promote VinegarSyndrome.com. The website's currently still up and running, though sluggish. They acknowledged the problem over two month's ago on Facebook; no word since. It's hands down the best streaming site for exploitation flicks (IMO), and I'll miss the living hell out of it if it really is going away.
Old 04-07-18, 10:26 PM

Grindhouse Grit is pretty good on ROKU. I went ahead and spent the $2 a month to avoid commercials.
Old 04-08-18, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I subscribe to the Full Moon Video channel but most of the time it crashes my Roku by disconnecting from the internet when I try and start playing certain titles. Weird. I also like Grindhouse Grit and of course Shudder is great too.
Old 04-08-18, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Man! I hate when this happens! Halfway through Blood Mania I realized I'd seen it a few years ago. Being past the point of no return, I finished it anyway. Damn its intriguing title (which pretty much has NO meaning in this movie anyway!). Thank goodness for some very attractive girls taking their clothes off! LOL
Old 04-08-18, 03:42 PM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm late to the game this year but I kicked it off with Fantom Kiler (1998) from Massacre Video. This one is tame compared to the sequels but still sleazy enough. Tons of full frontal nudity done the way Teraz Films was famous for.

Sorry for the late entry and hope to have fun. You guys always watch the best exploitation films out there and expose me to the madness. I thank you in advance.
Old 04-08-18, 03:58 PM

Never too late.
Old 04-08-18, 04:21 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Watched Night of the Living Dead. I never get tired of this classic. I have the Umbrella release Blu Ray that includes the Savini remake. The transfer is fantastic. I will probably still buy the Criterion at some point, but it is hard to imagine the picture quality being better than the Umbrella release.
Old 04-09-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had an unusually great viewing weekend. Cold temperatures and slick roads canceled my weekend plans, so I ended up huddled on the couch with a quilt, a cat, and a bourbon. (Side note: I found out my cat will drink bourbon if it is unattended.) I started with a rewatch of Jackie Brown, my favorite Tarantino and a film that grows in my estimation every time I watch it. The dialogue is so snappy, and the acting is dynamic and nuanced. I then watched the one slight misstep of the weekend: Pink Angels. While I think the film is an interesting curiosity, I just couldn't quite get into its rhythm, so I was ultimately perplexed. I thought there would be a bit more play from the gay angle, but there's just a bit of campiness and a lot of boobs. I finished the day with Burn, Witch, Burn a great British film about witchcraft in academia. It's a full film that I'm definitely going to recommend to several friends.

Sunday, I continued with Dick Tracy's G-Men which is pretty standard serial fare. These episodes covered myriad plans by a dastardly international spy and the required cliffhangers. Next up was Multiple Maniacs which I adored! I've got to watch more John Waters films. This was depraved, guerrilla madness! There's a couple of scenes that are still very shocking. Then came Ninjas, Condors 13, a bit of Hong Kong goodness. The editing is nonsensical; the story is confusing; the characters are cardboard. It gave me my favorite line of the challenge: "Brian, you're a ninja!" I ended with Spider Baby which is both comedic and creepy! I'm not sure how to describe it, and I just want to recommend it to everyone. It's bizarre and amazing!
Old 04-09-18, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watched Night of the Living Dead. I never get tired of this classic. I have the Umbrella release Blu Ray that includes the Savini remake. The transfer is fantastic. I will probably still buy the Criterion at some point, but it is hard to imagine the picture quality being better than the Umbrella release.
I'm planning to break out my new Criterion BD this month. I just need to set aside some time so I can delve into all the special features they packed on the discs. I'm really excited because I've only seen crappy DVD copies so the new transfer will be a treat!
Old 04-09-18, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I'm planning to break out my new Criterion BD this month. I just need to set aside some time so I can delve into all the special features they packed on the discs. I'm really excited because I've only seen crappy DVD copies so the new transfer will be a treat!
I got mine out when I read numbercruch's post - I'd actually forgotten I purchased a copy! Part of me wants to hold it for the October Horror Challenge but that's sooooo far off! I have a Legend DVD version (actually the Rifftrax version which also has a colorized, blech, version) that has a very good transfer - the best I've seen, looking almost new. I'm curious to see how much better the BR will be.
Originally Posted by mrcellophane
...Sunday, I continued with Dick Tracy's G-Men which is pretty standard serial fare...
Here I've been really struggling on what's in my unopened piles that qualifies and that I don't want to hold for another challenge and I have a dozen or more unopened serials on the shelf totally forgetting they qualify! What makes it worse is I've looked over what's in that particular shelving unit several times and never considered them!
Old 04-09-18, 02:52 PM

The Criterion Night is gorgeous. I've bought that movie so many times, from old VHS and the original Elite Laserdisc to the Umbrella BD, but this one is perfect. Umbrella is nice, but I believe it has some cropping issues.

Trailer Trauma 4 came in (thanks for the heads up, Chad) and can't wait to pop it in. The 80s one is an essential collection.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.