Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Ninth Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge April 1-30, 2018

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: caligulathegod
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

STORE ONLY 15% OFF Coupons -- I and II may finally be dead, but I'll leave them for now. III was reported still active in Jan.
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (I)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (II)
15% OFF Single Item Exp ?? (III)

10% off Whole Order
HEYTHERE -- unknown exp

15% OFF Single Item
EASTEREGG
I think this is now expired

"New Member" Welcome Coupons
Welcome coupons may be dead -- or at least the type that have been available for nearly a decade. The latest set now have what appears to be single use codes so these probably no longer will be generic/multiple use style.
Print Wikipost

Ninth Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge April 1-30, 2018

Old 04-09-18, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Ninth Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge April 1-30, 2018

Internet problems are keeping me on the sidelines tonight. Got home and went to boot up Tubi TV, to discover that my internet is down. At least it will give me the chance to watch good shows on Dish.
Old 04-09-18, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
Trailer Trauma 4 came in (thanks for the heads up, Chad) and can't wait to pop it in. The 80s one is an essential collection.
I've been pondering how to watch/count these blu trailer compilations. Take Trailer Trauma 3: 80's Horror-Thon, for instance. It's two discs, about 7.5 hours, so each blu disc contains over 3 hours of material. That's a lot of trailers to sit through.

If each disc is divided into sub-sections, you could watch by sections, if there are enough sub-sections, but probably the best method is time. The average length of a trailer 2 1/2 minutes. So if you want to watch about 90 minutes of trailers - 36 trailers, 2 hours of trailers - 48 trailers.

I've already watched my trailer compilation for this Challenge, so I won't be cracking my new Drive-in Delirium blu's or the two Trailer Trauma's I picked up (when they're delivered), but it'll be good to know how I'm going to handle it next year.
Old 04-09-18, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by coyoteblue View Post
I've been pondering how to watch/count these blu trailer compilations. Take Trailer Trauma 3: 80's Horror-Thon, for instance. It's two discs, about 7.5 hours, so each blu disc contains over 3 hours of material. That's a lot of trailers to sit through.

If each disc is divided into sub-sections, you could watch by sections, if there are enough sub-sections, but probably the best method is time. The average length of a trailer 2 1/2 minutes. So if you want to watch about 90 minutes of trailers - 36 trailers, 2 hours of trailers - 48 trailers.

I've already watched my trailer compilation for this Challenge, so I won't be cracking my new Drive-in Delirium blu's or the two Trailer Trauma's I picked up (when they're delivered), but it'll be good to know how I'm going to handle it next year.

It is addressed in the rules.

Mini-series and Serials: We will go with the Sci-Fi rule on TV Mini-series (one "night" equals an entry), on Serials (we'll go with an hour's worth per entry), provided they actually were theatrical serials. A serial episode is about 15-20 minutes, so an hour's worth counts as an entry. Four-15 minute ones or Three-20 minute episodes. You can round up. This goes for other shorts and compilations as well.
Old 04-09-18, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is addressed in the rules.

Mini-series and Serials: We will go with the Sci-Fi rule on TV Mini-series (one "night" equals an entry), on Serials (we'll go with an hour's worth per entry), provided they actually were theatrical serials. A serial episode is about 15-20 minutes, so an hour's worth counts as an entry. Four-15 minute ones or Three-20 minute episodes. You can round up. This goes for other shorts and compilations as well.
So, basically what I said, just shortened to an hour. 1 hour = 24 trailers = 1 entry.
Old 04-09-18, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
Here I've been really struggling on what's in my unopened piles that qualifies and that I don't want to hold for another challenge and I have a dozen or more unopened serials on the shelf totally forgetting they qualify! What makes it worse is I've looked over what's in that particular shelving unit several times and never considered them!
Wow! Sounds like an awesome collection! I only have a handful of serials based on IPs that I enjoy: Flash Gordon, Buck Rodgers, Dick Tracy. Do you have any suggestions for what to get next?
Old 04-09-18, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

With all this trailer comp talk, it'd be interesting to attempt a weekend marathon of nothing but them since I now own enough to carry an entire challenge. Then the realization hits that some like Trailer Trauma 3 are over 7 hours long on their own. Maybe stretch it over a week? At the very least I'll try and catch Drive-In Delirium: The New Batch and The Grindsploitation Trilogy from Troma () once they arrive.

Grindhouse Grit is pretty good on ROKU. I went ahead and spent the $2 a month to avoid commercials.
Thanks; gave the ad-free plan a shot. That's a very cool channel.

Originally Posted by pacaway View Post
I subscribe to the Full Moon Video channel but most of the time it crashes my Roku by disconnecting from the internet when I try and start playing certain titles. Weird. I also like Grindhouse Grit and of course Shudder is great too.
My main gripe with FM is their lack of adding anything other than their own bloody titles. I honestly don't think the Blue Underground and Something Weird selections (or anything from the Grindhouse section) has been updated in years.
Old 04-10-18, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This guy's hair from Marauders (1986):

Had it of been an American movie I probably would have been bored but this little low budget/talent Aussie film was somehow quite entertaining.
Old 04-10-18, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^While not starting directly at the pic, all I see is Carl from The Walking Dead lol

After logging my rating for The Ribald Tales of Robin Hood at imdb late last night, I noticed that Erwin C. Dietrich (My favorite director/producer-discovery from this annual challenge) was credited with directing scenes of the film for the overseas market. So when I clicked on his name to see what films of his I could try to tackle this year, I see that he had just passed away last month
RIP to the man who was the king of the nudity-upon-nudity-loaded, humorous (Depending on your humor, I suppose) sexploitation films.

Of his filmography, She-Wolves of the SS (The first of his that I watched) appears to be the most accessible (Full Moon pimps that one a lot and it's found on youtube) but, from what I've seen, Caged Women with Brigitte Lahaie and Karine Gambier is the one to beat. Anyone else a fan?
Old 04-10-18, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mrcellophane View Post
Wow! Sounds like an awesome collection! I only have a handful of serials based on IPs that I enjoy: Flash Gordon, Buck Rodgers, Dick Tracy. Do you have any suggestions for what to get next?
Wow! There are so many good ones...

Adventures of Captain Marvel Adventures of Captain Marvel
- A superhero one with a twist. ~11 year old Billy Batson turns into Captain Marvel when he says "SHAZAM!" It has good special effects and the cliff-hanger resolutions don't cheat. The flying sequences are live action. It's very good and the one I showed my, then 11, grandson as his first serial. He really liked it. This one recently received a remastered BR release (from Kino - I don't own that version yet) that's gotten good reviews. Mine is from VCI, like many of my serials, and looks quite good.

There are 2 Superman ones: Superman (1948) and Atom Man vs. Superman (1950). Both feature Noel Neill as Lois Lane, a part she would later play in "The Adventures of Superman" TV show. They also star Kirk Alyn, the first live action Superman, as Clark/Superman. He has a dance background which shows in his take offs and landings. The first shows Superman's arrival on earth and his getting the job at the Daily Planet and meeting of Lois and Jimmy. The second features Lyle Talbot as Lex Luthor. The flying in these is done via animation rather than live action. Both are available in a single DVD set.

And there are 2 Batman ones: Batman (1943) and Batman and Robin (1945). These are fun serials and established some of the comic mythos - the Bat Cave and it's Grandfather Clock entrance. In the first, Barman and Robin are secret government agents tracking down Japanese saboteurs who have a hand-held ray gun that can dissolve anything hit by its beam. The second isn't quite as good and was done more "on the cheap" but is still fun. Like the Superman ones, both are available in a single set (from Mill Creek). You can also purchase these individually. Those have a higher disc count (2 per series rather than 1 per for the MC release. I own the individual sets with 2 discs per serial).

Undersea Kingdom (1936) - Using his Rocket Submarine, Professor Norton leads an expedition, including Lt. "Crash" Corrigan (both the actor's name and his on-screen character's name) and Reporter Diana Compton, to find Atlantis. They succeed and then attempt to stop an evil tyrant ruler of Atlantis from conquering the lost continent and then the entire upper world. Considered by some to be the greatest serial ever made. It's lots of fun.

The Phantom Empire (1935) stars Gene Autrey in a quasi Western. There's an underground kingdom, complete with ray guns, TV screens, and advance science, who gets invaded by criminals intent on stealing their radium. Gene and his "posse" discover the plot and try to take them down. Lots of fun.

Radar Men From The Moon (1952) - The first Commando Cody serial (there were arguably 3 - the second has his name changed). Another in the Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers vein. It's also lots of fun.

Get the Roan or VCI releases of those three - or pick up the Mill Creak "
Classic Sci-Fi TV Classic Sci-Fi TV
" set which has all three in good prints and lots more (including a couple of the Flash Gordon serials in good prints) at a very good price.

The other two Commando Cody serials are also enjoyable. Zombies of the Stratosphere (1952) has a young Leonard Nimoy in an early role. Commando Cody: Sky Marshal of the Universe (1953) got a remastered BR release from Olive a couple of years ago.

<b>Panther Girl of the Kongo</b> Panther Girl of the Kongo
(1955) One of the last serials made features Phyllis Coats (Lois Lane in the 1st season of "The Adventures of Superman" TV show) as Panther Girl who, along with her friend Larry Sanders, encounter a plot by Dr. Morgan, a Mad Scientist, who breeds giant crayfish ("Claw Monsters") to scare people away from secret diamond mines in the local area so he can control them. Got an excellent BR release not long ago - I have the DVD of that release and it looks very good.

There are three Zorro ones that are entertaining: Zorro Rides Again (1937), Zorro's Fighting Legion (1939), and Zorro's Black Whip (1944). All three are in the "
Zorro Cliffhanger Collection Zorro Cliffhanger Collection
" from VCI.

Drums of Fu Manchu (1940) - Fu Manchu attempts to conquer the world by acquiring the sceptre of Genghis Khan, which will unite the people of Asia under his rule. (VCI version)

Brenda Starr, Reporter (1945) - A reporter assigned to cover a fire in an old house gets a coded message about a satchel full of money. A gang of criminals tries to get the information from her. (VCI version)

I've enjoyed those, and quite a few others, enough to pick up even more as blind buys. While there can be lots of similarities in them they all can be lots of fun if watched with the right frame of mind. Basically put yourself in the mindset of a 10-13 year old kid in the 40s going to the movies on a Saturday afternoon.

I've also found that the best vendors for serials are VCI, Roan, Olive, Kino, Image, and Mill Creek. As far as overall video/audio quality, I've never been disappointed by a release from any of those. Most others use horrible PD copies that have been overprinted to death.

I started Mandrake the Magician (1939) last night. I only made it through the first episode before nodding off. I'll try again tonight but don't know how successful I'll be as I'm helping a friend, the HS Choir director, by singing in a "cockney quartet" for their spring musical, "My Fair Lady." She couldn't get enough of her young men to sing (I'd give them a "major grade zero" for non-participation) and asked a few of her adult friends to sing a couple of songs ("Wouldn't it be Loverly" and "The Flower Garden" - a quartet reprise of the first - thankfully it's a musical I like and my favorite song from the play). There are dress rehearsals the next two nights and then 3 nights of performances. Looooong week after working all day and then doing that for 3+ hours per night (and we're on stage for all of 8 minutes total - early in the first act and late in the last act so we can't just bail early). It's kind of fun - but also a bit goofy. There are four of us 40+ guys singing, essentially backup, for two songs and the rest are HS kids.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 04-10-18 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-10-18, 05:08 PM

^ BobO' Link has some great suggestions and I agree with all of them. Of the ones he mentions favorites of mine include Captain Marvel, the Commando Cody serials, Drums of Fu Manchu and Zorro's Fighting Legion (although all of the Zorro ones are fun).

There's one he didn't mention that I really like and is easily obtainable from Kino which is Daredevils of the Red Circle. This is from the era of the earlier Dick Tracy serials and features Charles Middleton as another great villain. Also one of the three Daredevils is played by Dave Sharpe who was usually a stuntman (including a lot of serials) but did get a few acting parts as well. Flying Disc Man From Mars is on Olive and is another I always liked. Also available from Mill Creek are The Shadow and Blackhawk. Maybe not the best serials out there but I like the characters. Blackhawk is played by Kirk Alyn who did the Superman serials - another reason I like that one.

Some that may not be readily available but I like are The Masked Marvel (a wartime serial), The Mysterious Dr. Satan which started out as a Superman serial until Republic lost the rights, and King of the Rocketmen the first serial to use the rocket suit that's in the Commando Cody serials. Hopefully some of these will be out someday on legit DVD or BR.

Back when VHS was popular Republic pictures released almost all of their serials on two tape sets which is how I saw many of the ones still not out on discs.

Last edited by omike; 04-10-18 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-10-18, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^I have Daredevils of the Inner Circle on my wishlist and have wondered about The Shadow and Blackhawk figuring I'd pick them up eventually.

I totally forgot to mention King of the Rocketmen, another I really like. I have the "Cheesy Flicks" release of that one, which, IIRC, is a pretty good transfer. And I don't think I knew Olive had released Flying Disc Man from Mars! I'll have to add that - just as soon as I double-check my copy for quality. Often with serials I'm happy with the older DVD releases.

Here are the ones in my unopened pile:

Tailspin Tommy
Junior G-Men of the Air
SOS Coast Guard
The Dick Tracy collection (I've seen them before but this is a newer VCI all-in-one release)
Secret Agent X-2 (The one with Lloyd Bridges - there's another with the same title but different plot - I have that one and have watched it - it's pretty good)
Captain Midnight
The Perils of Pauline (the 1933 talkie - not the silent)
The Adventures of Sir Galahad (with George Reeves)
Jungle Girl
Jungle Queen
Captain Video
The Phantom
The Green Hornet
The Green Hornet Strikes Again
Old 04-10-18, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ Thank you for all the recommendations! I really appreciate it. I've put together a wishlist and am going to place an order for several of these to watch after I get done with the last Dick Tracy serial. I've seen Atom Man vs. Superman before, and I should watch the other Superman series - especially since I'm a fan of Adventures of Superman. I recently watched season four, and it's fun to revisit a time when television shows didn't have massive amounts of money poured into their productions.

Both the BD releases of Panther Girl of the Kongo and Commander Cody are included in the BOGO Olive sale on DeepDiscount. So I snatched them up!
Old 04-10-18, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^You're welcome! I think you'll enjoy both of those.

I purchased "Panther Girl" solely for Phyllis Coats as I had a crush on her as a kid and she was, for me, the best Lois Lane (not so much the "damsel in distress" version played by Noel Neill). It's rather cheesy, but is still a fun serial.

I'm a *huge* fan of the Adventures of Superman series and pretty much grew up watching it in the late 50s/early 60s. I'd get up very early Saturday mornings, get a bowl of cereal and watch the test pattern (with the sound turned way down so mom wouldn't complain) until Superman came on at 6am. It irritated mom: "How come you can get up before dawn on Saturday but I have to drag you out of bed during the week?" Because of that I was a bit unsure about those serials but found they are really well done and I enjoy them greatly. Lyle Talbot is a great Lex Luthor.

I got home early and watched the first half of Mandrake the Magician. It's pretty good so far. I'm just about to start the 2nd half (chapters 7-12).
Old 04-10-18, 10:11 PM

^Another big Adventures of Superman fan here too. My best friend and I watched them over and over again on WGN TV in Chicago when we were kids and I still like to watch a few episodes now and then. I also liked Phyllis Coates better than Noel Neill in the TV show but I think Ms Neill is fine in the serials. Of course I'm also a George Reeves fan and I think he is very good in The Adventures of Sir Galahad. That serial also has some unique cliffhangers due to the setting although sometimes it plays a little like a western. Do you have the Cheesy Flicks release of that one? I may try their King of the Rocketmen. I've picked up a few movies from them and haven't been that happy with the picture quality. I suspect you would have remembered if King had been that bad.

The Shadow and Blackhawk both have good picture quality. I watched The Shadow and checked out one chapter of Blackhawk when I got it. I guess Mill Creek released those two because Sony released them on video tape way back when. Now I'm thinking I should check out Blackhawk during this challenge.
Old 04-11-18, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

Quadroon was pretty bland and forgettable entertainment. What cracked me up is the ending that's literally an advertisement for the city of New Orleans. One of the characters breaks the fourth wall, looks directly into the camera and says "I'll show you my New Orleans", which is proceeded by showing the popular destinations onscreen. Seriously doubt there's another city out there with a tourism board that's willing to be associated with a Z-grade exploitation flick about women being bred for sex slaves.

The Brain Leeches is Fred Olen Ray's first film, and If you want an endurance test to see what your pain tolerance is, well, this is it. 55 minutes of pure torture that feels like 3 hours. Words cannot describe how bad this really is.

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
After logging my rating for The Ribald Tales of Robin Hood at imdb late last night, I noticed that Erwin C. Dietrich (My favorite director/producer-discovery from this annual challenge) was credited with directing scenes of the film for the overseas market. So when I clicked on his name to see what films of his I could try to tackle this year, I see that he had just passed away last month
RIP to the man who was the king of the nudity-upon-nudity-loaded, humorous (Depending on your humor, I suppose) sexploitation films.

Of his filmography, She-Wolves of the SS (The first of his that I watched) appears to be the most accessible (Full Moon pimps that one a lot and it's found on youtube) but, from what I've seen, Caged Women with Brigitte Lahaie and Karine Gambier is the one to beat. Anyone else a fan?
Outside of those two, I also really enjoyed Rolls-Royce Baby with Lina Romay.
Old 04-11-18, 09:00 PM
Cool New Member

Steer clear of Elsa Fraulein S.S.(1977) which is one its many titles. A boring Nazisploitation entry with terrible dubbing as they try and cash in on the Ilsa films.
Old 04-11-18, 10:21 PM

[QUOTE=Chad;13309004]Quadroon was pretty bland and forgettable entertainment.

i gotta check this one out since i live in New Orleans.
Old 04-12-18, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by omike View Post
^Another big Adventures of Superman fan here too. My best friend and I watched them over and over again on WGN TV in Chicago when we were kids and I still like to watch a few episodes now and then. I also liked Phyllis Coates better than Noel Neill in the TV show but I think Ms Neill is fine in the serials. Of course I'm also a George Reeves fan and I think he is very good in The Adventures of Sir Galahad. That serial also has some unique cliffhangers due to the setting although sometimes it plays a little like a western. Do you have the Cheesy Flicks release of that one? I may try their King of the Rocketmen. I've picked up a few movies from them and haven't been that happy with the picture quality. I suspect you would have remembered if King had been that bad.

The Shadow and Blackhawk both have good picture quality. I watched The Shadow and checked out one chapter of Blackhawk when I got it. I guess Mill Creek released those two because Sony released them on video tape way back when. Now I'm thinking I should check out Blackhawk during this challenge.
Just to be on the "safe side" I pulled my copy of King of the Rocketmen and watched a segment last night. It looks very good, almost pristine. The only negative I have is blacks are not quite black enough and top end whites are just a bit muted. I'd rather have that than crushed blacks and blooming whites. There's little film damage evident. It's easily as good as anything from VCI, who generally does a very good job on the serials.

I didn't know Cheesy released The Adventures of Sir Galahad. My copy is an Australian release (
Amazon link Amazon link
) as it's all I could find at the time I made the purchase. It's a 3 disc release in spite of that listing showing only 1. I'd purchased a copy of Panther Girl of the Kongo from that same Australian distributor (rocketdvd.com). It was a pretty good transfer (the best available at the time I made the purchase) so I figured it was worth taking a chance on "Galahad." I just hope the menu on it is better than that on "Panther Girl" which has some rather cheesy lounge type music that doesn't fit the film.
Old 04-12-18, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wackyblacky View Post
Steer clear of Elsa Fraulein S.S.(1977) which is one its many titles. A boring Nazisploitation entry with terrible dubbing as they try and cash in on the Ilsa films.
This sums up the majority of the genre that I still love for some reason.
Old 04-12-18, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
^While not starting directly at the pic, all I see is Carl from The Walking Dead lol

I watched four or five Brigitte Lahaie movies during this challenge last year (I think). At least three were Erwin C. Dietrich films. I caught Erwin C. Dietrich's Self Service Girls a few weeks back on B-Movie TV, and they played Faceless (with Brigitte Lahaie) a few days before that.

Last edited by Dimension X; 04-12-18 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-12-18, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
Just to be on the "safe side" I pulled my copy of King of the Rocketmen and watched a segment last night. It looks very good, almost pristine. The only negative I have is blacks are not quite black enough and top end whites are just a bit muted. I'd rather have that than crushed blacks and blooming whites. There's little film damage evident. It's easily as good as anything from VCI, who generally does a very good job on the serials.
Thanks for taking the time to check! I think I will grab that one. I agree about the VCI serials - I've never been disappointed by one.
Old 04-14-18, 08:00 AM

I had to take a break on Friday to do some F13 marathoning!
Old 04-14-18, 09:42 AM

Same here. Did a double feature of Part V and VI last night. I don't think I had seen either in about 15 years.
Old 04-14-18, 09:45 AM

I am going to see RZA on Tuesday night. He is touring with two other DJs and they are doing a live soundtrack for The 36th Chamber of Shaolin. Should be really fun.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackoma.../#25bc81ed57f6
Old 04-14-18, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had some free Xbox credit due to working on surveys, so I used some of it to buy Steel the other night. I watched it immediately. It is widely considered to be a bad movie, but I've always enjoyed it. There were plenty of DC Comic references in the movie too, like Shaq's character having a tattoo of Superman's insignia. Another instance came when Steel got away from the police. One officer wondered where he disappeared to. His partner replied, 'The Batcave?'

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.