Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

7th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2018

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

7th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2018

Old 03-20-18, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts
Re: 7th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2018

Have you finished the Hobbit movies, Trevor?
Old 03-20-18, 03:03 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Re: 7th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2018

Originally Posted by davidh777
Have you finished the Hobbit movies, Trevor?
Not yet. I’m looking for a day where I can marathon them all, and the month has been a bit chaotic. But I should have a free day before April.
Old 03-20-18, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Curse you two! Now I’m tempted to add ‘western’ to my already-too-long monthly checklist.

Coincidentally, watching a first-time viewing western right now, The Ruthless Four.
Always happy to help!
Old 03-20-18, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I have some free time this week and hope to get several watches in before we get company on Friday. Was looking for a direction to go and went through my collection and realized I have several Superman films that I haven't opened. I'm going to try to get through the ones I haven't watched at all. Started with Superman III and I'm not really enjoying it, though there are a few things I liked. Lana Lang for one-I love that she ended up being Martha Kent in Smallville.
Old 03-20-18, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LJG765
I have some free time this week and hope to get several watches in before we get company on Friday. Was looking for a direction to go and went through my collection and realized I have several Superman films that I haven't opened. I'm going to try to get through the ones I haven't watched at all. Started with Superman III and I'm not really enjoying it, though there are a few things I liked. Lana Lang for one-I love that she ended up being Martha Kent in Smallville.
Superman III and Superman IV are much like Batman Forever and Batman and Robin. Movies you watch once so you can say you've seen them and then you avoid them in the future unless you need one for a checklist item.
Old 03-20-18, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Superman III and Superman IV are much like Batman Forever and Batman and Robin. Movies you watch once so you can say you've seen them and then you avoid them in the future unless you need one for a checklist item.
Yep, that kind of covers III for sure. Just popped in IV, so we'll see how that goes. So far, not so promising but I'll give it a chance. Though that being said...I kind of like both Batman Forever and Batman and Robin!
Old 03-21-18, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, that kind of covers III for sure. Just popped in IV, so we'll see how that goes. So far, not so promising but I'll give it a chance. Though that being said...I kind of like both Batman Forever and Batman and Robin!
Those 2 Batman films do have a bit of charm - admittedly more than the last 2 Superman films.

I saw "Forever" in the theater and was the only person who laughed when Robin said "Holy rusted metal, Batman!" I don't think anyone else caught or understood the joke/nod to the 60s TV show. I know my son, who was with me, didn't as he gave me an odd look so I had to briefly explain.
Old 03-21-18, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Those 2 Batman films do have a bit of charm - admittedly more than the last 2 Superman films.

I saw "Forever" in the theater and was the only person who laughed when Robin said "Holy rusted metal, Batman!" I don't think anyone else caught or understood the joke/nod to the 60s TV show. I know my son, who was with me, didn't as he gave me an odd look so I had to briefly explain.
I too saw Forever in the theater. I got the reference right away, and am pretty sure I was the only one in the theater who did. I also felt that Jim Carey did a good Riddler, and was a worthy successor to Frank Gorshin.

I was browsing the Dish Guide for something to watch and found a good show on the Smithsonian Channel. It was a documentary on a tribe of Amazon women, called Warrior Women.
Old 03-21-18, 11:30 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

If anyone's looking for a good classic mystery, I highly recommend The Thin Man (1934).

I watched it for the first time last night. It's one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.
Old 03-21-18, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
If anyone's looking for a good classic mystery, I highly recommend The Thin Man (1934).

I watched it for the first time last night. It's one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.
You need to watch the sequels too. They're not as good as the original but still well worth your time.
Old 03-21-18, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ugh, the Thin Man series has been on my to-watch list for at least a decade.

Currently watching the second season of The Shannara Chronicles, which was probably a bad idea right after LOTR considering it's so derivative.
Old 03-21-18, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I too saw Forever in the theater. I got the reference right away, and am pretty sure I was the only one in the theater who did. I also felt that Jim Carey did a good Riddler, and was a worthy successor to Frank Gorshin.
Yeah, that really surprised me. I've never been a big Jim Carey fan and groaned when I heard he was going to be in the movie. That he did such a good job with that role caught me off guard. Tommy Lee Jones was a good Two-Face. It's not that bad of a film, although it has a few too many missteps and is somewhat of a let down after the 2 superior Burton films. It's absolutely better than the dreck of "Batman & Robin."
Old 03-21-18, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ugh, the Thin Man series has been on my to-watch list for at least a decade.
Well... this is the month to fix that you know...
Currently watching the second season of The Shannara Chronicles, which was probably a bad idea right after LOTR considering it's so derivative.
Even the books. When I read them I constantly had a Déjà vu feeling. I've not seen the series but the low price for S1 keeps pulling at me...
Old 03-21-18, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That is my favorite Batman quote ever! I loved that they referenced the original series. I think I was the only one who got it when I watched it in the theater as well. I almost added it to my original post about it, even!

Yeah, that really surprised me. I've never been a big Jim Carey fan and groaned when I heard he was going to be in the movie. That he did such a good job with that role caught me off guard. Tommy Lee Jones was a good Two-Face. It's not that bad of a film, although it has a few too many missteps and is somewhat of a let down after the 2 superior Burton films. It's absolutely better than the dreck of "Batman & Robin."
I hate Jim Carey and this is the only role that I actually will voluntarily watch him in. He did a pretty good job at it. I agree, I think the main problem is that it had 2 well liked movies ahead of them and with just one or two missteps, they're considered awful. For me, Batman Returns is actually my least favorite of those 4. I think Devito looks the part but he gets really tiring after a while.
Old 03-21-18, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That is my favorite Batman quote ever! I loved that they referenced the original series. I think I was the only one who got it when I watched it in the theater as well. I almost added it to my original post about it, even!

I hate Jim Carey and this is the only role that I actually will voluntarily watch him in. He did a pretty good job at it. I agree, I think the main problem is that it had 2 well liked movies ahead of them and with just one or two missteps, they're considered awful. For me, Batman Returns is actually my least favorite of those 4. I think Devito looks the part but he gets really tiring after a while.
Davito was a good Penguin, but I'm with you on the part. I'd have rather they focused more on Catwoman. But that's my gripe of most of that series of movies. After the first one they had too many villains in each one which somewhat diluted the overall effect.
Old 03-21-18, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Davito was a good Penguin, but I'm with you on the part. I'd have rather they focused more on Catwoman. But that's my gripe of most of that series of movies. After the first one they had too many villains in each one which somewhat diluted the overall effect.
I think they could have focused on her much more as well. She was more interesting than Penguin after about 2 minutes. I last watched it with Travis McClain not too long ago and Catwoman was his favorite as well, though I think for different reasons than myself! lol!
Old 03-21-18, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well... this is the month to fix that you know...
Yeah, it's like our Westerns conversation--we try to make the most efficient use of our months and not "waste" time on a title we won't get "credit" for. Logically, I shouldn't be watching so much fantasy this month, but that's just my mood.

Even the books. When I read them I constantly had a Déjà vu feeling. I've not seen the series but the low price for S1 keeps pulling at me...
I mean, it's certainly not great, but there are some cool things about it. The attempts to make it relatable to a younger generation can be a little cringe-worthy, though.
Old 03-21-18, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it's like our Westerns conversation--we try to make the most efficient use of our months and not "waste" time on a title we won't get "credit" for. Logically, I shouldn't be watching so much fantasy this month, but that's just my mood.
I used to hit all the challenges hard and heavy. After a few years it got to be somewhat of a chore and was becoming less "fun" so I started using them as a general guide but watching anything else I felt like I wanted to watch. I still hit the SF/Fantasy and Horror ones with full attention but the rest, not so much. I still seem to get lots watched but that nagging is gone and I'm much more laid back.

Just a few days ago I did a first time viewing of Hotel Transylvania with my 6 year old granddaughter - her choice of movie. She goes around quoting "I do not say bleh bleh bleh..." so I wanted to see the full reference. It was "OK" but I'll not be in a hurry to see it again... and I have the 2nd one to watch... and she's asked to watch it with me. OK... I will... but I'm not looking forward to it because I didn't see anything in the first one that makes me want more. The things you do for your kids/grandkids...

A couple of days before that I finished watching the last half dozen episodes of It's About Time. I've also watched a couple of SF movies and a few episodes of Charmed.

My oldest granddaughter wants to watch My Fair Lady again because we've been listening to a couple of the songs since I'll be singing in the "Cockney Quartet" for the upcoming HS production (I'm helping my friend, the HS Choir Director, since she can't get enough of her students to participate). I've not been in a play since I was in HS so it should be interesting...

And around all that I've finished S2 of Daniel Boone, started S2 of The Rockford Files, and lined up a couple of movies for the next few days.

So... don't feel bad about watching some fantasy.
Old 03-21-18, 08:39 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Just a quick note about the Thin Man series. I don't know any background on the Filmstruck channel but it has a free two week period right now. It has the Criterion Channel and Turner Classic Movie movies and some extras like the introductions from TCM. Anyway, they have the Thin Man series this month (I watched The Thin Man and After the Thin Man for the challenge) and a Mario Bava festival (I watched The Evil Eye and Eric the Conqueror for the challenge). They are also having a Peter Falk festival right now so I'm watching the In-Laws for the challenge. It's well worth checking out if you are interested in older movies.\
Old 03-21-18, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just finished watching Superman Returns and I think it's my favorite so far. It's a bit long in places but overall one I think I'd watch again. I like Spacey's Lex Luthor a lot better than Hackman's, who was a very comic book/over-the-top but not in a scary way Lex Luthor. Does that even make sense?
Old 03-21-18, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Watched "Mr. Yin Presents" (Psych) tonight and all the Hitchcock references have got me in the mood for some Hitchcock. Gonna dig out Vertigo (1958), 'cause I don't think I've seen that one, not all of it at least. Tomorrow I'll be watching the last part of the Yin/Yang trilogy and finishing off the Witchblade anime I've been watching. Feel like it's getting time to break out Community's paintball trilogy and maybe one or two Middleman episodes as well.
Old 03-22-18, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually have a reason to watch the theatrical editions of the LotR movies again. I went to Walmart today, and found the trilogy, on Blu Ray today, for $15. I also grabbed the 3 original X-Men movies in a set for $10.
Old 03-22-18, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I used to hit all the challenges hard and heavy. After a few years it got to be somewhat of a chore and was becoming less "fun" so I started using them as a general guide but watching anything else I felt like I wanted to watch. I still hit the SF/Fantasy and Horror ones with full attention but the rest, not so much. I still seem to get lots watched but that nagging is gone and I'm much more laid back.

Just a few days ago I did a first time viewing of Hotel Transylvania with my 6 year old granddaughter - her choice of movie. She goes around quoting "I do not say bleh bleh bleh..." so I wanted to see the full reference. It was "OK" but I'll not be in a hurry to see it again... and I have the 2nd one to watch... and she's asked to watch it with me. OK... I will... but I'm not looking forward to it because I didn't see anything in the first one that makes me want more. The things you do for your kids/grandkids...

A couple of days before that I finished watching the last half dozen episodes of It's About Time. I've also watched a couple of SF movies and a few episodes of Charmed.

My oldest granddaughter wants to watch My Fair Lady again because we've been listening to a couple of the songs since I'll be singing in the "Cockney Quartet" for the upcoming HS production (I'm helping my friend, the HS Choir Director, since she can't get enough of her students to participate). I've not been in a play since I was in HS so it should be interesting...

And around all that I've finished S2 of Daniel Boone, started S2 of The Rockford Files, and lined up a couple of movies for the next few days.

So... don't feel bad about watching some fantasy.
Agree. I use the monthly theme as a guide, but I won't let it keep me from watching something I want to watch.

Nice of you to help out on the show, though it's too bad there isn't more student interest. Post video!
Old 03-22-18, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Charmed. I used to have Season 1 on DVD, which I got at a bazaar when I was in the desert. My ex, who was not my ex has it now, as I gifted the set to her when I returned stateside. Been meaning to watch it on Netflix, as I remember enjoying the show, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 03-22-18, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I felt like watching a documentary tonight, so decided to pick back up on Season five of Ancient Aliens. I only have Seasons 1-4 on DVD, but I have 5 and 6 on Amazon Instant Video. I never bought anymore seasons though, as thanks to the History Channel app on Roku, I have access to every season of the show.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.