DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 03-12-18, 08:07 PM   #101
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: 7th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
My track record on that is somewhat mixed. Some are, many are not.

I can easily binge The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Jonny Quest, Space Ghost, The Herculoids, The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle, George of the Jungle, Family Guy, King of the Hill, and Batman: The Animated Series.

I can not binge Top Cat, Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Woody Woodpecker, anything from Filmation, Magilla Gorilla, Josie and the Pussycats, Scooby Doo, Pink Panther, and a few others.
I'm with you on Scooby Doo, I like Scooby but I just can't watch more than 2 or 3 in a row. I also agree with Jonny Quest! That one is always rewatchable for me!

I fell asleep last night before I could watch Jason Bourne and started it tonight...only to have something going on with either my internet or Vudu streaming. *sigh*. I'll try again later but it's one of the reasons I'll never fully trust streaming. Oh well!
July Sci-fi/Fantasy 2018; Aug. Animation 2017; Sept. Criterion 2017; Oct. Horror 2012; Nov. Comedy 2017; Holiday 2017; Jan. TV on DVD* 2017; Feb. Academy Awards 2017; Feb. Quadrennial Leap Day 2016; Mar. Action/Adv/Crime/Mystery 2018; May MYOC 2018; June Historical Appreciation 2014
Old 03-13-18, 12:54 AM   #102
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: 7th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2018

Just finished Number Seventeen. Definitely lesser Hitchcock but still pretty fun, particularly the train sequence at the end. I have it on some budget compilation so the picture/sound quality was pretty terrible. I will have to check to see if there is a better version out there.
Old 03-13-18, 05:34 AM   #103
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was browsing the Dish Guide, looking for something to watch, and I came across Zane Grey Theater, on Grit. It's a good western anthology series, that I first discovered in January. The episode I just finished starred Edmund O'Brien as a marshal that no one in town liked.
Old 03-13-18, 01:19 PM   #104
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG765 View Post
I'm with you on Scooby Doo, I like Scooby but I just can't watch more than 2 or 3 in a row. I also agree with Jonny Quest! That one is always rewatchable for me!
In all fairness, I'm not a fan of Scooby Doo at all. I only watch that one if one of the grandkids wants to watch a few episodes. I struggle to make it through one episode before zoning out and getting on the computer or other distraction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG765 View Post
I fell asleep last night before I could watch Jason Bourne and started it tonight...only to have something going on with either my internet or Vudu streaming. *sigh*. I'll try again later but it's one of the reasons I'll never fully trust streaming. Oh well!
I watched The Bourne Ultimatum Sunday evening. While I enjoyed it I also had a lot of "been there seen that" feelings while watching. I think these movies would be better viewed with several weeks between entries. In spite of that, I'll be watching Jason Bourne this coming weekend, if not before.
Old 03-13-18, 01:46 PM   #105
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin View Post
Just finished Number Seventeen. Definitely lesser Hitchcock but still pretty fun, particularly the train sequence at the end. I have it on some budget compilation so the picture/sound quality was pretty terrible. I will have to check to see if there is a better version out there.
I watched a Hitchcock too--the Man Who Knew Too Much remake. Not top-shelf Hitchcock, but entertaining.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2018 | Drive-In 2018 | Leap Day 2016
Old 03-13-18, 01:57 PM   #106
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If anyone here gets MeTV, they air Alfred Hitchcock Presents 6 nights a week.

Was in the mood for some kaiju after the earlier talk about Godzilla and Gamera, so when I got home from running errands, I dug out my Showa Gamera collection, and put in the very first Gamera film, Gammera The Invincible. Working my way through them in order, so hopefully will get to the Heisei movies this month, including Gamera The Brave. I haven't seen that film since I went to a kaiju convention one year.
Old 03-13-18, 07:32 PM   #107

Watched Wind River on Netflix, wow, that was a great film.
Old 03-13-18, 07:52 PM   #108
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
In all fairness, I'm not a fan of Scooby Doo at all. I only watch that one if one of the grandkids wants to watch a few episodes. I struggle to make it through one episode before zoning out and getting on the computer or other distraction.

I watched The Bourne Ultimatum Sunday evening. While I enjoyed it I also had a lot of "been there seen that" feelings while watching. I think these movies would be better viewed with several weeks between entries. In spite of that, I'll be watching Jason Bourne this coming weekend, if not before.
Scooby Doo is definitely not a brain buster show; you see one, you've seen them all, let's be honest here! I do enjoy the mindless aspect of it though, and for me, it's fun to watch once in a while.

Got Jason Bourne up and running finally. I'm about 30 minutes into it and it does kind of seem very similar to the first 3. They even brought Julia Stiles back. Kind of liking Tommy Lee Jones in it, but his character seems interchangeable with many of the agents in the first 3 movies. So far, #4 (Legacy) is still my favorite.

I also went and saw A Wrinkle in Time today. I'm still not sure how I feel about the movie. I went with my mom who did not read the book and she was fairly confused at what the message was supposed to be. I just re-read the book this weekend so it is fresh in my mind. I know they have to change things to translate onto the screen, but I'm not sure why they changed certain plot points and characters. That being said, I did enjoy the actress playing Meg and the actor playing Charles Wallace fit the part. The Mrs.'s were all good and I LOVED their outfits and hairstyles. They mostly fit what I thought they'd look like with the exception of Mrs. Whatsit in one section.

I'm glad it's getting exposure because it does have a great message and it's one that should be heard (about loving yourself as you are.) I just wish they hadn't changed as much as they did. But...that's the danger with books going to the big screen!
July Sci-fi/Fantasy 2018; Aug. Animation 2017; Sept. Criterion 2017; Oct. Horror 2012; Nov. Comedy 2017; Holiday 2017; Jan. TV on DVD* 2017; Feb. Academy Awards 2017; Feb. Quadrennial Leap Day 2016; Mar. Action/Adv/Crime/Mystery 2018; May MYOC 2018; June Historical Appreciation 2014
Old 03-13-18, 08:01 PM   #109

Speaking of the Bourne movies, how is Green Zone? Is it similar to that series? Is it worth watching?
Old 03-13-18, 08:02 PM   #110
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ I remember reading the book when I was a boy. I enjoyed it. Maybe I'll watch the movie some time.
Old 03-13-18, 11:22 PM   #111
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
Speaking of the Bourne movies, how is Green Zone? Is it similar to that series? Is it worth watching?
I remember being kinda lukewarm on it when it first came out. It's directed by Paul Greengrass who did the 2nd, 3rd and 5th Bourne movies so it is similar stylistically. It's more overtly political if I remember correctly, as opposed to the conspiracy/thriller aspects of Bourne.

It's not bad by any means and worth seeing. I just don't think it reaches the heights of the Bourne flicks.
Old 03-14-18, 07:51 PM   #112
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Passengers described itself as an "adventure," and since sci-fi =/< action... I watched it.

I haven't been this bemused since Age of Ultron - ALL the criticisms by the media, revieers and other (alleged) viewers were either blatantly untrue, addressed within the film or the entire blithering plot!

Interesting questions, worries and cast; I enjoyed it. It's also surprisingly a comedy to begin with.

And a lot more so than yesterday's Equals, which was a bland mix of 1984* and Romeo and Juliet.

*Except without a lot of logical elements; there was no spying, little informing and a lot of baffling gaps.

Last edited by ntnon; 03-14-18 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-14-18, 07:59 PM   #113
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntnon View Post
Passengers descrived itself as an "adventure," and since sci-fi =/< action... I watched it.

I haven't been this bemused since Age of Ultron - ALL the criticisms by the media, reviewers and other (alleged) viewers were either blatantly untrue, addressed within the film or the entire blithering plot!
I liked this one a lot more than I thought I would based on the reviews and commentary. I think it kind of got a bad rap, almost like since Christ Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence were doing so well, they were due for a badly made movie and people chose this one. Was it the greatest movie ever? Nope, but it was good and I enjoyed watching it.

Watching Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb for the first time. Liked the first movie, thought the second wasn't that great but I am enjoying it. Reading up on it a bit, it's both Robin Williams last onscreen role and Mickey Rooney's.
Old 03-14-18, 10:52 PM   #114
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finally got around to watching Come Drink With Me. It was cool to see the influence it had on Crouching Tiger and it was fun seeing Cheng Pei-pei in an earlier role. I also have the sequel, Golden Swallow, which hopefully I will have time to watch this month.
Old 03-14-18, 10:58 PM   #115
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A couple years ago, I recorded Mission to Mars and I just got around to watching it. It's a weird mixture of sci-fi/horror/thriller. It's really an odd type of movie. Starts off with a party, goes to a bit of light horror, then turns into a bit of an adventure/first contact movie. Seriously, about every 20 minutes, it changes genre. I did end up liking it, though I don't think I'll feel the need to watch again.
Old 03-15-18, 12:21 AM   #116
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Finally got around to watching Come Drink With Me. It was cool to see the influence it had on Crouching Tiger and it was fun seeing Cheng Pei-pei in an earlier role. I also have the sequel, Golden Swallow, which hopefully I will have time to watch this month.
This talk of Come Drink With Me as me itching to watch King Hu's Dragon Inn (1967). Maybe I'll chase down the two remakes Tsui Hark's New Dragon Gate Inn (1992) and The Flying Swords of Dragon Gate (2011), too
Old 03-15-18, 10:37 AM   #117
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I started working on another show last night. I'm close to 3/4 of the way through Season One of Dogfights. Right now, I just finished episode 8, about the F-8 Crusader.
Old 03-16-18, 08:59 AM   #118
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I’ve watched a couple episodes of Clone Wars , on Netflix the past couple days, and noticed something nice. I’m starting to see original trilogy ships make appearances. Yesterday, on ‘ARC Troopers ‘, I saw some Y-Wings. Today, on ‘Supply Lines’, I saw a Corellian Corvette.
Old 03-16-18, 10:54 AM   #119
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since I have a MoviePass, I've been hitting the theater pretty hard this week. I've seen four films so far this week. (A Fantastic Woman doesn't count for this challenge, but I heartily recommend seeing it if you can.) Here's a brief breakdown:

Black Panther is an excellent Marvel spectacle. My usual line is that I have superhero-fatigue, but I tend to love all of Marvel's offerings. This one indulges in the weirder side of the MCU, and I really dug it. In a departure from the usual Marvel template, the villain, Killmonger, is a both compelling and an adequate foil for the hero. (Also, he's super hot, like shift-in-your-seat-and-hold-your-breath-when-he-takes-off-his-shirt hot.)

Thoroughbreds is better than it's marketing suggests. In a lot of ways it's a dark comedy built out of a film noir plot. It's stylish and very well acted. RIP Anton Yelchin.

Annihilation is amazing. It's loosely adapted for a novel I thoroughly enjoy and captures the dreamlike, contemplative feel of the book. There's some Cronenberg-esque body horror and a lot of musing about science and the nature of humanity, but there's also some great sci-fi action. One scene had me so tense and freaked out that I had to grab my friend's arm. (He took it in stride. We've been watching movies together for years so he's use to my animated outbursts.)

So I guess I recommend all four movies! I may try to go see Tomb Raider over the weekend.
Old 03-17-18, 02:51 PM   #120
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Watched a fantastic Anthony Mann western the other night - Bend of the River, with Jimmy Stewart, Rock Hudson, and Julie Adams. Stewart plays slightly against type as a former border raider leading a wagon train to Oregon. Some unexpected twists and turns combined with a brief 90-minute run time made for a fun night. Recommend this one, especially if you like old westerns.
Old 03-20-18, 10:51 AM   #121
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Something interesting I noticed in an episode of the original series of The Transformers. When Soundwave talks, and the artists forget to add the mechanical sound to his voice, he sounds exactly like Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget. I have every episode of the original series, including all three Japanese series on DVD. I also found out that the final Generation One episode, Transformers Zone, as well as Scramble City are on YouTube.
Old 03-20-18, 11:15 AM   #122
DVD Talk Hero

I watched a couple movies based on European comics. The Heir Apparent: Largo Winch is a... I guess you'd call it a political thriller. I liked it quite a bit. Winch is a long-running character that I guess I've never actually read, though I own a number of issues.

I also watched Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. It's nice as eye candy goes, but it fell flat for me, partly because I disliked the male lead. I've read a number of the original French comics, and they're a blend of sci-fi, social commentary, and goofy humor--kind of an acquired taste but I like them now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcellophane View Post
Annihilation is amazing. It's loosely adapted for a novel I thoroughly enjoy and captures the dreamlike, contemplative feel of the book. There's some Cronenberg-esque body horror and a lot of musing about science and the nature of humanity, but there's also some great sci-fi action. One scene had me so tense and freaked out that I had to grab my friend's arm. (He took it in stride. We've been watching movies together for years so he's use to my animated outbursts.)
Hmm, this is not the first time I've heard good things about Annihilation. It didn't appeal to me at first glance other than being a sci-fi movie, but I guess I should see it!

Quote:
Watched a fantastic Anthony Mann western the other night - Bend of the River, with Jimmy Stewart, Rock Hudson, and Julie Adams. Stewart plays slightly against type as a former border raider leading a wagon train to Oregon. Some unexpected twists and turns combined with a brief 90-minute run time made for a fun night. Recommend this one, especially if you like old westerns.
Love the old Westerns, though I tend to save them for the B movie challenge.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2018 | Drive-In 2018 | Leap Day 2016
Old 03-20-18, 12:01 PM   #123
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I lean towards the "Historical" challenge for those but I shouldn't. So many qualify for so many other challenges it's pretty easy to watch a western almost every month and have it qualify.
Old 03-20-18, 12:14 PM   #124
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I lean towards the "Historical" challenge for those but I shouldn't. So many qualify for so many other challenges it's pretty easy to watch a western almost every month and have it qualify.
True, I watch them for that as well. But yeah, B movie probably has the fewest eligible titles of appeal for me so it's a good opportunity.

The frustrating one is the Oscars challenge because there are many acclaimed Westerns that just don't qualify! I once watched Rio Bravo assuming I'd get credit, but no.
Old 03-20-18, 02:44 PM   #125
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Quote:
Curse you two! Now I’m tempted to add ‘western’ to my already-too-long monthly checklist.

Coincidentally, watching a first-time viewing western right now, The Ruthless Four.