DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   What do you do with extra DVDs from BD purchases? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/642896-what-do-you-do-extra-dvds-bd-purchases.html)

melasnus 02-01-18 04:17 PM

What do you do with extra DVDs from BD purchases?

First of all, I want to apologize if this thread is in the wrong forum.
I couldn't figure out where it should go.
MOD: please move to proper forum if necessary.

I have a BUNCH of DVDs and BDs that came with my purchases of UHD and BDs.
Don't need or want more than one copy of a movie and would like to sell them.
I have been putting them in simple paper sleeves and setting 'em aside without ever being played or used.
What do you all do with yours?
Suggestions appreciated.

BobO'Link 02-01-18 07:51 PM

Re: What do you do with extra DVDs from BD purchases?

I keep them in the case where they belong. They're part of the overall package.

Mao 02-01-18 08:13 PM

Ebay

melasnus 02-02-18 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 13260060)
I keep them in the case where they belong. They're part of the overall package.

What difference does that make?

BobO'Link 02-02-18 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by melasnus (Post 13260229)
What difference does that make?

Likely none to anyone but me. I'm somewhat OCD in that I keep all packaging, right down to inserts and label stickers (other than store added ones) "just because." They also don't take up any extra space in the case. Few people are interested in purchasing "white envelope" discs and those that do won't pay enough to make it worth messing with.

majorjoe23 02-02-18 02:13 PM

I hold on to them because the room my kids watch movies in doesn't have a blu-ray player, so they get to watch Lego Batman or whatever on DVD.

coyoteblue 02-02-18 02:36 PM

I like to hold on to them as backups.

Alan Smithee 02-02-18 02:46 PM

Likely none to anyone but me.
And me. I even WATCH them, because they're there- but I won't be sad when they finally stop including them.

Trevor 02-02-18 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 13260628)
Likely none to anyone but me. I'm somewhat OCD in that I keep all packaging, right down to inserts and label stickers (other than store added ones) "just because." They also don't take up any extra space in the case. Few people are interested in purchasing "white envelope" discs and those that do won't pay enough to make it worth messing with.

Probably no surprise, but I keep everything too. I’ll throw away the plastic wrap, after cutting off any non-store stickers, but that’s it.

And I keep the DVDs because there are still places I watch movies with only DVD players (mom’s, work, car...). And if the BD gets damaged, lent out, or lost, might as well have the DVD around.

shadokitty 02-02-18 03:50 PM

I keep mine to use as a backup in the case as well. I found out the hard way that it is good to have them. When my old Blu Ray player died, I had the Blu Ray of Attack Of The Clones inside. Since there was no way to get the disc out, I used my DVD instead.

The Cow 02-02-18 03:50 PM

I offer it to friends/family. If there are no takers, it usually gets trashed, along with the case and slipcover.

melasnus 02-02-18 06:56 PM

I hate the idea of trashing a perfectly good DVD or BD...seems like such a waste.:(
OTOH,....

Josh-da-man 02-02-18 08:37 PM

I just leave them in the case UNLESS

I need the hub for a store exclusive bonus disc, like the Target Avengers when the exclusive comes in an envelope. I put the bonus disc in the case with the blu-ray, and then stash the DVD in the envelope.

It's a "stacker" case, which I hate, and I take the DVD out and put it in a paper envelope.

kd5 02-02-18 09:07 PM

I keep the package deal intact, it's just part of being the collector that I am. I'd also never buy movies in paper sleeves, if it doesn't come in the original case with the goodies intact, I don't want it. I go to flea markets, there is this one seller who always removes the DVDs from the BD/DVD Combos (and apparently sells them separately), if he'd left them complete I might have bought some from him, but he doesn't and I haven't.

melasnus 02-03-18 12:32 AM

One of my other reasons for pulling extra disks is the weight reduction.
At last counting, I have 8,000 DVDs, BDs, UHDs, and CDs.
Lugging them between houses becomes a problem when you are 62 years old...:(

kd5 02-03-18 05:50 AM

^ I am 62 as well, my videos (currently 1138, counting TV seasons as 1) are housed in 4 big 5 & 6-shelf bookcases. My wife and I are permanently settled in our house and we have no reason to want to take anything with us when we go anywhere so they don't ever leave the house. I can understand your concern with weight if you move around a lot, that would be a consideraton with me as well, but I'd still have a hard time separating videos with my current mentality. They just wouldn't seem whole to me...

Alan Smithee 02-03-18 09:56 AM

Try moving CED videodiscs- no 5-inch disc weighs anything CLOSE to those! :)

jjcool 02-03-18 10:17 AM

"Extra" dvds? No such thing. The DVD included in the blue ray packaging gets used anywhere there isn't a blue ray player, which is a lot of places. Car, portable player, kids room, sisters, grandparents, etc.

Zodiac 02-03-18 10:37 AM

I just leave them in the case.

As others have said, they make a nice back up.

Mike86 02-03-18 10:40 AM

I just keep them in the case. On the off chance that I go to someone’s house who doesn’t have a Blu-ray player and wants to watch a movie or someone wants to borrow a movie I volunteer the DVD first normally. I see no reason to get rid of them and it’s not worth the effort trying to sell them.

melasnus 02-03-18 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by kd5 (Post 13261040)
^ I am 62 as well, my videos (currently 1138, counting TV seasons as 1) are housed in 4 big 5 & 6-shelf bookcases. My wife and I are permanently settled in our house and we have no reason to want to take anything with us when we go anywhere so they don't ever leave the house. I can understand your concern with weight if you move around a lot, that would be a consideraton with me as well, but I'd still have a hard time separating videos with my current mentality. They just wouldn't seem whole to me...

It's funny about the weight thing...
It doesn't take many to make a moving box weigh too much to move without getting a hernia (something I have learned the hard way).:doh:

Originally Posted by jjcool (Post 13261136)
"Extra" dvds? No such thing. The DVD included in the blue ray packaging gets used anywhere there isn't a blue ray player, which is a lot of places. Car, portable player, kids room, sisters, grandparents, etc.

That's the thing...I don't go anywhere where a BD player isn't available.:scratch2:

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13261144)
I see no reason to get rid of them and it’s not worth the effort trying to sell them.

I'll be having a garage sale this spring...maybe I'll just put them in a $1 box.

ReduxGuy 02-03-18 06:38 PM

I keep and use them to make screen caps for Facebook references and cover photos.

Doc Moonlight 02-04-18 11:13 AM

Like others, I like to have the DVD as a back-up or to use in situations where a Blu-ray player isn't available.

I have a number of self-made combo packs. If I really like a film and it have it on both DVD and Blu-Ray, I'll put both editions in a double blu-ray case so they'll be in the same place. I especially do this when the DVD is in one of the old "snapper" cases.

melasnus 02-05-18 12:02 AM

Someone recommended I donate them to a Boys Club or library or a non-profit of my choosing.
That way I could write them off on my taxes.

Trevor 02-05-18 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by melasnus (Post 13262407)
Someone recommended I donate them to a Boys Club or library or a non-profit of my choosing.
That way I could write them off on my taxes.

I hope you did that before 12/31/17. Unless you can somehow still itemize more than 12000/24000.