Reload this Page >

TV on DVD* Eighth Season Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

TV on DVD* Eighth Season Discussion Thread

Old 12-28-17, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 627 Likes on 460 Posts
Re: TV on DVD* Eighth Season Discussion Thread

I've continued my slow journey back through Game of Thrones. I finished S1 with a watch a disc a week strategy, basically watching all the episodes on a disc and then no more for at least another week. I'm trying to pay more attention this time through and take my time. I'm seeing things I missed before, either due to not fully paying attention or clues originally missed but are now clear knowing what's coming. Little tidbits that really expand the story.

I've also resumed my journey with Star Trek: Voyager. I'd left off at the end of S5 back in September and picked back up with S6. So far it's been a hit/miss season. A few good episodes but a few that just don't resonate with me - filler type stuff or 7-of-9 Borg stories.

I've also watched part of S9 of Last of the Summer Wine, the longest running sitcom in the world. I have this one up to S26. The entire run of 31 seasons is available in R2 but R1 currently only goes up to S28. Considering what the BBC charges for a series in R1 it's tempting to just pick up the complete series set in R2 as it's less expensive than purchasing those last 5 seasons in R1 (assuming they all actually get released).

I "need" to get another comedy series in rotation but just can't decide which one...
Old 12-29-17, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I've finished my first DVD set of the Challenge just now, having sat down to watch the last two episodes of Ancient Aliens, Season 3. I just have to figure out what my next DVD set will be, since I don't normally plan far ahead.
Old 12-29-17, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I read this morning that Rose Marie passed away yesterday (94 years old and worked as an actor for 91 of those years!). That, coupled with the loss of Mary Tyler Moore early this year, prompted me to finally pulled out my BR of The Dick Van Dyke Show and start watching. I'd been saving it... don't know just why. I've liked this one since I first saw it in 1961. It's one of a handful of comedy series that hit the ground running. Just think how different it would have been had Johnny Carson won the role over Van Dyke.
Old 12-29-17, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I read this morning that Rose Marie passed away yesterday (94 years old and worked as an actor for 91 of those years!). That, coupled with the loss of Mary Tyler Moore early this year, prompted me to finally pulled out my BR of The Dick Van Dyke Show and start watching. I'd been saving it... don't know just why. I've liked this one since I first saw it in 1961. It's one of a handful of comedy series that hit the ground running. Just think how different it would have been had Johnny Carson won the role over Van Dyke.
I heard that on the radio this morning myself. Unfortunately I don't have any Dick Van Dyke episodes.

One of the shows I started to work on is the US Dubbed version of Tekkaman Blade, Teknoman. I found the entire series on YouTube, which prompted me to give it a rewatch after a long time. I bought the series set used a long time ago, but have been missing Disc 1 for a long time. Since I couldn't start from the beginning, I ignored the set.
Old 12-29-17, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was watching an episode of Relentless Pursuit, on the Sportsman Channel, and the host went on a very unique hunt that I didn't know people still did. He was hunting a big black bear with of all things, a spear. He succeeded too.
Old 12-29-17, 07:56 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd like to thank Netflix for season 4 of Black Mirror and Halt and Catch Fire. Two of my favorite shows.
Old 12-29-17, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm watching Monk, and it's a lot of fun. It also has a hilarious in-joke in the second season episode "Mr. Monk and the TV Star". A large part of the (sub)plot involves a TV show that has changed its theme song, to the derision and dislike of (some) fans.

Like Monk did for its second second season...

...which is amusing anyway, but then a) Sarah Silverman's crazy fan character makes Monk promise that if he gets his own show, he'll never change the theme. Then b) the original Season One theme plays over the closing credits!.

...and then c) the amusing reprise of the original theme contains additional flourishes and embellishments, undercutting and emphasising the punchline of bringing it back, but also not the same!

Brilliant.
Old 12-30-17, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is odd... I'm seeing episodes of The Dick Van Dyke Show S1 that I absolutely do not remember ever seeing. It's only been a couple, but they don't have a shred of recognition for me. I know I missed a few episodes during its original run and saw only half, or less, of some during its Wednesday 8pm (Central) time slot airings, but I also watched it in syndication when possible.
Old 12-30-17, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is odd... I'm seeing episodes of The Dick Van Dyke Show S1 that I absolutely do not remember ever seeing. It's only been a couple, but they don't have a shred of recognition for me. I know I missed a few episodes during its original run and saw only half, or less, of some during its Wednesday 8pm (Central) time slot airings, but I also watched it in syndication when possible.
Maybe some episodes never made it into syndication.
Old 12-30-17, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I got that set though I had never seen the show. I need to watch it for one of these challenges.
Old 12-31-17, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been working my way through a rewatch of Blue Planet the past couple days. I watched the 'Seasonal Seas' episode when I woke up this morning. I've always been a big fan of the BBC Nature Documentaries.
Old 12-31-17, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The problem with having a lot to choose from is sometimes you run into problems deciding what to watch. I’ve spent the last few hours trying to figure out what I want to watch. I can choose from a DVD series, a digital series, or something on Roku.

On a side note, while browsing Amazon, I discovered that the new Battlestar Galactica is on Prime now.
Old 01-01-18, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have that problem pretty much all the time... So much good stuff and too little time...

I've made it to S7 of Voyager and am really liking the last couple of seasons of this one. So far the only negative is there seem to be too many episodes that interject Deanna Troi (from TNG) into the proceedings. She normally comes into play when Starfleet manages to contact Voyager with the help of a researcher who's the aid to the scientist who created the EMH program. Watching the episodes in such a short time makes it feel like she's showing up every few episodes, which is truly not the case, but her presence pulls me out as they seem to focus on her rather than the Voyager crew. In spite of that, most of those episodes are rather good and do include the Voyager cast in meaningful, interesting, stories. Still, I find myself wishing they would have told the stories without injecting a TNG cast member into things. It comes off as a "We don't think you're getting good enough ratings so we're going to add a TNG cast member to draw viewers" ploy. That, IMHO (I never cared for her character and didn't understand why she was always on the bridge), it's a 2nd (3rd?) tier cast member just adds insult to the injury.
Old 01-01-18, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

^^^

It's weird how much she pops up! I enjoy Troi's appearances on Voyager. Oddly, I feel like the writers knew how to handle her character better than those of TNG ever did. She's more competent and less a prop.
Old 01-01-18, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I felt like watching some cooking shows today, so I've watched a couple episodes today of Kids Baking Championship, which is being run on Food Network today as part of a marathon to get ready for the new season tonight. I just finished an interesting episode about waffle and pancake cakes.
Old 01-02-18, 02:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm into the 2nd season of Parenthood and am really enjoying it. I know i'd seen a few episodes years ago, but never really watched it.

I'm also hooked on Highway Thru Hell for some reason lol. I'm into Season 3 of that. I just wish Ice Road Truckers was on Netflix.
Old 01-02-18, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
^^^

It's weird how much she pops up! I enjoy Troi's appearances on Voyager. Oddly, I feel like the writers knew how to handle her character better than those of TNG ever did. She's more competent and less a prop.
Yes, that's true. While it, overall, felt like a ratings stunt type thing it was usually handled well. It'd start out as if she were going to be the focus of the episode but then the Voyager crew would show up and she's now just supporting. But she wasn't just sitting on the bridge and actually practicing her trade, something I feel she rarely did on TNG.

I'm really enjoying the S7 episodes of Voyager. I've only seen these episodes once before when I purchased the DVDs. I never saw them in syndication as I'd changed jobs at the end of S5 and no longer had access to the satellite feed (I worked at a TV station and had control of the "record calendar" so made sure it was recorded on VHS for me to take home and watch - we didn't air it) plus no one in my area aired it. I had to wait for it to show up on DVD to finally see how everything resolved. I'm about a half dozen episodes from the end so should finish it tonight or tomorrow.
Old 01-02-18, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I finished the last disc, the bonus episodes on my Blue Planet set early this morning, so I started looking for another DVD set to watch. I decided on a rewatch of Season 1 of Dogfights. I've already finished the first disc, and started disc 2 tonight.
Old 01-03-18, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

So far, I've watched a bit of Seinfeld with my son. He seems to be enjoying it, but we are in only in season 2 so it hasn't really hit its stride just yet.

This is looking like the challenge where I finally finish the Scrubs re-watch that I started a few years back. I blew through season 6 in a few days and started 7 last night after my son went to bed.
Old 01-03-18, 08:54 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I started watching The Strain again last night. When it originally aired I only watched the first two episodes. So far I'm really enjoying it and it has a pretty quick pace with stuff happening so it doesn't get boring.

I also started season 2 of Slasher on Netflix. I really enjoyed the first season and it looks like I'll be enjoying this one as well. It reminds me of Game of Thrones because no character is safe.
Old 01-03-18, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After I finished binge watching the last three episodes of Dogfights, Season 1, I was ready for a little change of pace, so I browsed the Dish Guide and decided to watch some of the Outdoor channels. I just finished a good episode of The Bass Pros, on the Outdoor Channel, all about a visit to the National Wildlife Museum.
Old 01-04-18, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Got off to a good start with Perry Mason, Bonanza, Hawaii Five-O and Dragnet 1968. Robert Redford was in one of the Masons, Robert Culp guest-starred in a good Bonanza and Nancy Kwan and Leslie Nielsen are in the two-hour Hawaii Five-O pilot film. I watched an episode of Dragnet 1968 today that originally aired on Jan. 4, 1968, 50 years ago today. Good stuff.
Old 01-04-18, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finished Voyager last night. That last episode started off rather weak but redeemed itself by the end. It was a satisfying send off for the crew.

I then started S1 of Father Dowling Mysteries, a show I've not seen since it went off the air. It's a bit hokey with some strange scripting/editing decisions and absolutely implausible happenings. However, it's also kind of fun. Hopefully it'll improve as it continues. I'm also wondering if all the episodes are 2 hour (or 90 min w/o commercials). I wasn't surprised when the first, pilot, episode was "movie length" but it somewhat caught me off guard when the 2nd was also a longer episode. I've not checked the length of episode 3 - that'll be tonight.
Old 01-04-18, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Luckily I have an Xbox One to fall back on, as today my primary blu ray player, my PlayStation 4 bit the dust. I had just put in disc one of Frozen Planet , and my PlayStation, while it registered the disc, it wouldn’t read it at all. Thinking it was just the disc, I tried others and none would play. I’m watching Frozen Planet on my Xbox right now.
Old 01-04-18, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^This is not the Horror Challenge... there are not supposed to be hardware failures in this one!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.