Reload this Page >

TV on DVD* Eighth Season Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-05-17, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Ah, January. It's cold, there's very little new content in any entertainment field and most football fans have already figured out that their teams are going nowhere. Is there a better time to hibernate on the couch and gorge on TV shows?

Guidelines/Rules
This challenge begins at Dusk (your time) on Boxing Day, 26 December 2016, and concludes at Dawn (your time), 1 February 2016.
Eligible content is anything originally produced for television broadcast, including television series, mini-series, made-for-TV movies and specials (including, but not limited to, stand-up specials and music performances).
Also eligible are movies that are directly part of the continuity of eligible content. If you are uncertain, please ask in the discussion thread!
This is not a challenge pitting your final view count against anyone else's. You're fighting your own schedule and capacity for gorging on TV content. You are therefore welcome to count your viewing totals however you wish, as it will only matter to you.
Remember also that 1 January overlaps with the Holiday Challenge, so if you've got any Holiday-themed TV content you want to squeeze in, it counts for both challenges on that day.
* The emphasis of this challenge should be to explore the impact that the DVD format has had on how we view TV content, but you are not restricted to the DVD format. You may watch your content on VHS, Blu-ray, over-the-air broadcast, digital download, online streaming; whatever format suits you.

Don't forget to check out the TV Talk sub-forum, where you may very well find other fans of the shows you choose to watch during the challenge!

Sponsor:

Hamilton Books

Prize determination:

Anyone who has a list is eligible.
Winners will be determined by random.org.

Winners can choose their own prize, up to $20.

Last edited by shadokitty; 12-08-17 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-05-17, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: TV on DVD* Eighth Season Discussion Thread

I've got a lot I can watch this year, plus a newly purchased two DVD set of the Discovery documentaries, Living With Wolves, and Wolves At Our Door, which I found at Dollar General for $3.
Old 12-07-17, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've already started setting aside my DVDs for this Challenge. I put some boxes on my coffee table with a lot of my box sets.
Old 12-08-17, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Allow me to welcome back Hamilton Books as a sponsor. Prize details are in the first post. Thanks again GoldenWheels and Hamilton Books, for their continued generosity.
Old 12-08-17, 04:36 PM

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I usually find myself cleaning off the backlog of TV shows on my DVR during this challenge, but this year it is relatively clear. I'm looking forward to catching up on some TV seasons I have waiting for me on Blu-ray and Netflix.
Old 12-11-17, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since I’m not really too much in the mood for holiday programming yet, I decided to start my TV Challenge early and just list what I watch on the What Are You Watching thread. I have way more to watch than just cover one month anyways.
Old 12-12-17, 06:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't blame you. I am kinda in the mood for this challenge already. Looking forward to next month!
Old 12-12-17, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

In between holiday films I've been marathoning my new Green Acres set. My grandson (age 14) is currently watching a few episodes with me - a first time viewing for him. He's laughing himself silly! I've yet to introduce him to a 60s comedy TV series he doesn't like.
Old 12-16-17, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

List Thread is up.
Old 12-18-17, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can’t believe the Challenge begins in just over a week. I’m already watching some of my DVDs. Not focusing on anything in particular, just what I feel like working on that particular day.
Old 12-21-17, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I have a bit of stuff on the DVR that I plan to start this challenge off with. From there, I've been giving thought to doing a complete Seinfeld re-watch and introducing my son to it. Not sure how receptive he will be to it, but I am gonna put the offer out to him anyway.
Old 12-21-17, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm still pretty focused on the Holiday Challenge right now, but am looking forward to starting something new. Not planning on having a strategy in place other than to clean off my DVR some. I have a few series on it that I've been saving up to binge watch and a few DVDs that I've bought over the year. But honestly, just on TV on DVD alone, I could have the next 10 challenges if not more covered.
Old 12-22-17, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don’t have a particular strategy myself, except maybe to make a dent in some of my DVDs. Between Dish Network, Roku and DVDs, I have a lot I’ll be able to watch to make sure I don’t get bored. Might check out Charmed on Netflix as one of my shows.
Old 12-22-17, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Same here - no strategy other than get some stuff watched. I'm just about done with Green Acres. My grandkids love that one! My grandson proclaimed it "As funny as I Love Lucy" which is high praise from him! I like it far better than when I first watched it during the original run. They tried a few new things in S6 which, like most times this is done, just don't quite work, but it's pretty much kept its humor and surrealism intact.

I'd been rewatching Voyager before the Horror challenge and will likely go back to it (I think I'm in S5 - have to check) and have also been slowly rewatching Game of Thrones. I know I'll not get the latter fully watched during the challenge as I'm spacing out episodes to hopefully finish S7 around the time S8 starts (that is if they ever lock in a start year). I have a feeling I'll likely have time to go through S1-7 twice before S8 finally airs.

I've picked up several British comedy series I want to get to but don't know if I'll try to get them in this month or save them for a British themed "MYO" challenge.

Here are a few of the more recent purchases (all complete series):

The Nanny
Just Shoot Me
The Rockford Files (BR upgrade)
It Ain't Half Hot Mum
Porridge
Dad's Army
Downton Abbey (I've seen this one via streaming and want to see it again)

And a few purchased over the past year or two I really want to get in:
Rawhide
Gunsmoke (S1-S8 of this one)
The Untouchables
Family Ties
Warehouse 13
Battlestar Galactica (BR upgrade of the new one)
That 70s Show (BR upgrade)
Batman (BR upgrade)
The Lucy Show

I have so much unopened product I sometimes get decision lock trying to decide...
Old 12-24-17, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I finished watching my new Green Acres set this morning. I've really enjoyed rewatching this one after decades (for S4-6) of not having seen it. Overall it's a consistently excellent, fun, and funny series up to season 6 which shows a decided downturn in the quality of episodes. There are still some good ones (at least half the season), but it mostly feels like they were experimenting and attempting to inject "new life" into the series with poorly integrated new characters in some episodes, especially the first 5 with a little girl who felt forced in an attempt to inject a kid friendly theme. A few also feel like rewrites of earlier episodes. It also welcomes the 4th/5th? Arnold - I never noticed how many different pigs played the part before. The saddest part is it ends with two (!) "back door pilot" episodes which are quite bad and very contrived. Had they not put the last, true, episode of the series on the same disc (only 3 episodes on disc 4) it would be easy to ignore them. You'd have thought this would be what was done since there are only 26 episodes in S6. Put 8 episodes on 3 discs with the final 2 and the, rather poor, bonus features on the 4th disc. In spite of the negatives in S6, I'm thrilled to finally have the entire series on disc!
Old 12-24-17, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I finished a DVD set myself earlier last week. I finished Collection 1 of the Beast King Golion set that I bought at Salvation Army last summer during the Animation Challenge. It’s nice seeing the origins of what would eventually become Lion Voltron. Some of the big differences is how the guys treated the Princess, and much more violence that isn’t edited out, including actual deaths.
Old 12-26-17, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm really looking forward to tonight. Is everyone ready for the Challenge to begin? Did anyone get any seasons for Christmas that they plan to open up for the Challenge? I'm unofficially working on it tonight, by working on my Season 3 set of Ancient Aliens right now. I'm also looking forward to knocking out some episodes of Xena: Warrior Princess, since I have the complete series. Also looking forward to watching some of my Mighty Morphin Power Rangers set.
Old 12-26-17, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I kicked off my Challenge with an episode of Headhunters TV , on the Outdoor Channel. It was a good episode where the host was hunting whitetail deer down in Texas.
Old 12-26-17, 10:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm gonna do a lot of Netflix this year since i just got Charter internet here last month.

I want to at least watch The Crown and a lot of Peaky Blinders

I have been watching Greys Anatomy and Highway thru Hell.
Old 12-26-17, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

After getting home from Christmas festivities, I decided to finish up a disc from my complete series of I Love Lucy. Incidentally, the last episode on the disc was "The Courtroom", one of my favorite episodes of the entire series. Through sitcom antics, the two couples go to court over broken television sets. The episode allows all four characters to showcase their comedic chops - especially Lucille Ball and Vivian Vance giving conflicting statements to the judge.
Old 12-27-17, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not able to sleep tonight, as one of my dogs is monopolizing my bed, so I thought I’d work on the challenge. Just finished an episode of Forensic Files ,on HLN. Being a true crime show, it is one of my favorite shows.
Old 12-27-17, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I woke up in the mood for true crime, so I browsed the Dish Guide, and came across a good episode of Forensic Files, on HLN. In it, a woman killed a woman that she suspected of being involved with her girlfriend, and got life in prison. She could have been the first woman in South Dakota to get the death penalty, but the jury spared her life.
Old 12-28-17, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Trashy true crime shows are one of my vices. I can sink into an endless stream of grisly reenactments and pompous police detectives. Today I was finishing a couple of art projects and watched four episodes of A Crime to Remember as I worked. It's one of my favorite true crime shows due to the high production values. Also, since a lot of the people involved are dead, they usually rely on true crime writers to do the talking head segments, and they tend to weave better narratives. Of the four cases, I was only familiar with one: Charles Whitman and the University of Texas shooting. All the other cases were unknown to me, so I got stuck in a bit of a Wikipedia spiral!

If anyone is interested in checking out the show, it's on Hulu. I'd recommend the season one episode "Time Bomb" as a good starting place. That particular episode highlights how the show is interested in contextualizing the cases and showing how they changed law enforcement or challenged excepted truths about criminals.
Old 12-28-17, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Last night I started working on one of my DVD sets, and continued working my way through my Season 3 set of Ancient Aliens . I know some of the theories are far fetched, but all in all I still enjoy the show. Plus I wanted to start making a dent in my DVD series.
Old 12-28-17, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I figured out my strategy on challenge viewing. Every day I will mainly concentrate on a particular type of TV show. For the rest of today for example I will mainly stick to one of my favorite genres, outdoor programming. Right now I am watching an episode of The Given Right, on the Pursuit Channel. It's about the host going on a hunt as he honors Veterans Day.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.