DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   2017 November Comedy Challenge Prize Vote (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/642253-2017-november-comedy-challenge-prize-vote.html)

davidh777 11-27-17 12:11 PM

2017 November Comedy Challenge Prize Vote

We have too many choices to make a formal poll, so please indicate your top three choices in this thread.

You get one entry in the prize drawing for each of:

-Having nominated a prize before the challenge started
-Voting in this thread by the end of the month
-Having a list in the challenge with at least one item listed.

Thanks to our friends at Hamilton Books for sponsoring the challenge, and thanks for voting!

The nominees (all DVD unless otherwise specified or I screwed up):

coyoteblue 11-27-17 12:40 PM

Re: 2017 November Comedy Challenge Prize Vote

The Tom Lehrer Collection, 1953-60 (CD)
The Best of the Goons (CD)
The Magic Christian

hbsvb 11-27-17 12:45 PM

Cardsfan111 11-27-17 01:07 PM

Lots of great choices.

Bob Newhart Complete Albums (CD)
Sherlock Jr Three Ages (BD)
Community Seasons 2-4 (DVD)

wishbone 11-27-17 01:15 PM

Bob Newhart: The Complete Albums 1960-62 (CD)
This Is Spinal Tap (BD)
The Best of Laurel and Hardy

Trevor 11-27-17 01:43 PM

Why not just let the winners choose their prize?

shadokitty 11-27-17 02:35 PM

Munster's Christmas
Abbott and Costello Christmas
Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy

BobO'Link 11-27-17 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 13214796)

This.

But - just in case:

THE BOB HOPE AND BING CROSBY ROAD TO COMEDY COLLECTION
THE MAGIC CHRISTIAN
THE FORD AT FOX COLLECTION: John Ford's American Comedies

Greg MacGuffin 11-27-17 05:15 PM

M*A*S*H
ABBOTT AND COSTELLO: The Christmas Show
WOODY WOODPECKER AND FRIENDS: Holiday Favorites

30smovies 11-27-17 06:57 PM

On The Avenue / Pinup Girl / Something For the Boys / You're in the Navy Now
Guest Wife
The Ford at Fox Collection: John Ford's American Comedies

bacigalup 11-27-17 07:18 PM

The Tom Lehrer Collection, 1953-60 (CD)
The Best of the Goons (CD)
MAD about the Oscars (book)

LJG765 11-27-17 10:34 PM

My choices:
1. Mad About the Oscars
2. The Munsters Scary Little Christmas
3. Charlie Brown Christmas: The Making of a Tradition

In my experience, often the prize choices can be sold before they are picked by GoldenWheels. I wouldn't necessarily want him to have to deal with 3 people going back and forth to make sure that the items are in stock. I know he usually pulls them aside when the host requests them to avoid them being sold.

davidh777 11-28-17 01:56 PM

Ummm, it would've been great if you'd suggested this earlier and saved all of us a lot of time and an extra thread. :D

Originally Posted by LJG765 (Post 13215172)
In my experience, often the prize choices can be sold before they are picked by GoldenWheels. I wouldn't necessarily want him to have to deal with 3 people going back and forth to make sure that the items are in stock. I know he usually pulls them aside when the host requests them to avoid them being sold.

That's why I did this check of the original nominations, and all were still in stock. But I'm totally fine with the winners making their picks, which would involve little delay in which things could go out of stock. With the caveat that it's nearly December, and things can go out of stock more quickly now, and also that GoldenWheels might have higher priorities on his mind than our prizes. :) But that's always the trick with the timing of this particular challenge.

So if people would rather pick their own prizes and submit them to me, please say so in this thread. I'll take Trevor and BobO'Link as already having said yes. I'll take everyone who has already made picks as saying no, but they should feel free to say otherwise now that we're formally opening up the question.

If the vote is close, I as host would probably favor pick-your-own-prize because that'll be more satisfying to the winners, and less work for me. :D

hbsvb 11-28-17 06:27 PM

I'm fine with the winners picking their own prizes. With so many options, it seems inevitable that the vote will be close.

Cardsfan111 11-28-17 06:41 PM

If picking our own is a possibility, then you can change my vote to that. Ultimately, it's whatever is easiest for Rich and the fine folks at Hamilton. :)

shadokitty 11-28-17 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 (Post 13215745)
If picking our own is a possibility, then you can change my vote to that. Ultimately, it's whatever is easiest for Rich and the fine folks at Hamilton. :)

I agree that it should be what is easiest for them as well.

Indy24LA 11-28-17 07:30 PM

I think picking your own prize (with a $ limit) is the best option as long as GoldenWheels is okay with it.

LJG765 11-28-17 11:27 PM

I'm fine with people picking their own, my one caveat is with GoldenWheels-as long as he is ok with it, I'm good. I just don't want to make more work for him. He's been incredibly generous to us for our challenges over the years!

Dimension X 11-29-17 10:47 PM

I would vote no on the pick-your-own-prize thing, mostly because that's the one thing I liked most about doing the May Challenge, but since I told GoldenWheels I wouldn't be bothering him about prizes next year if I run the MYOC again (mostly due to dwindling participation), I say go for it (provided he doesn't object).

30smovies 11-30-17 06:59 PM

I think nearly everyone would prefer to pick their own prize if only to avoid winning something they have no interest in.

Trevor 11-30-17 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by 30smovies (Post 13217284)
I think nearly everyone would prefer to pick their own prize if only to avoid winning something they have no interest in.

One year in the Horror Challenge I "won" Frankenhooker. Years after watching it, I'm still in therapy.

Cardsfan111 12-01-17 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 13217318)
One year in the Horror Challenge I "won" Frankenhooker. Years after watching it, I'm still in therapy.

Ha! I believe that's the only prize I've ever won in the OHMC. I've thought before that it's hard to call me a winner. :lol:

shadokitty 12-01-17 06:55 AM

I once won Frankenhooker in the sci fi Challenge. I think almost everyone has won it some time or other.

Trevor 12-01-17 07:50 AM

We're not supposed to talk about it, but GoldenWheels made a deal with the devil and has to distribute Frankenhooker until a thousand souls are lost. Remember how DVDTalk used to be busier?

davidh777 12-01-17 10:09 AM

I got Frankenhooker in one of the OHMC prize packs last year. Amazing pack so I don't mind. :) I even watched it this year. :lol:

Anyway, I think there's enough support for pick-your-own-prize to go with that. The concern is about GoldenWheels' time so we'll do it in a way that should be pretty much the same as fulfilling the group picks. Thanks to everyone for weighing in!