Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2018 Horror Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-17, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2018 Horror Challenge

You probably want two months to do the work of downloading/uploading the images, even if you don't think it'll take two months, because things happen. So you've got until May 1st to make a decision (add a month if you want more buffer). You've got months to decide, no need to rush, do some research --

11 Free Image Hosting Sites for Your Photos

List of image-sharing websites
Old 11-13-17, 01:51 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Glad to hear Chad is still in; is there anything that can be delegated out to ease any burden of hosting? It does seem like what can be handled democratically mostly is but if there's times it's no fun that's a bummer; if nothing else the work is very much appreciated here.
In my personal viewing I agree with preferring first time viewings, but if someone wants to count a film however many times I don't see the basis for stopping them. There's no obvious reason for being allowed to count a film only once and rules like this only contribute to policing just for the sake of policing. Is the objection that maybe someone will try to cheat when there's no prize for most watched anyway? No one would be forced to rewatch a movie if they don't want, but it should be allowed for those who do.

Occasionally I'll see some mind blowing gem and think -"wow, I've got to subject my significant other, friends, and anyone else I can find to this amazing film!" but then think to myself "...but then if I watched it with them I couldn't technically count it" and that's kind of a bummer. I know sometimes people who end up seeing a movie theatrically several times when they go with different groups of people.
I imagine most of us re-watch things often (artsy films like Amer usually take me two viewings), and watch our normal monthly content that doesn't count. Not everything has to count.
Old 11-13-17, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I imagine most of us re-watch things often (artsy films like Amer usually take me two viewings), and watch our normal monthly content that doesn't count. Not everything has to count.
That seems like a healthy attitude to just watch whatever you want and not worry about what 'counts,' but if something could be counted like horror related repeat viewings then I'd advocate that it is allowed to be counted.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 11-14-17 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-13-17, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by williemlf
how do you identify a real skeleton without a dna test? The medical school over here only uses those plastic ones, and i don't even think i've seen a 'real' skeleton in over 30 years, and that was denuded bone on a partial skeleton.
There are not great lists on the subject but I have run across a lot of movies that used real skeletons in the last few challenges. The Skull, Creepshow, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, Return Of The Living Dead, Poltergeist are ones that pop up in by brain but there are a ton more. In fact pre 1990 or so it was cheaper and a very common practice to use real skeletons as opposed to the more expensive and frequently less real looking plastic ones. We might have to make one of those Ye Old google top result DVDTalk lists.
Old 11-14-17, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
There are not great lists on the subject but I have run across a lot of movies that used real skeletons in the last few challenges. The Skull, Creepshow, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, Return Of The Living Dead, Poltergeist are ones that pop up in by brain but there are a ton more. In fact pre 1990 or so it was cheaper and a very common practice to use real skeletons as opposed to the more expensive and frequently less real looking plastic ones. We might have to make one of those Ye Old google top result DVDTalk lists.
That cracks me up for some reason: "When I'm dead, donate my body to Hollywood."
Old 11-15-17, 01:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chad
  • Recently deceased seems unruly with so many names and a lot of them don't seem to have big horror outputs, maybe trim it down to just watch a movie by a recently deceased contributor.
  • Remove 'masters of commentary,' it's too specific when most participants don't emphasize commentary tracks anyway.
Recently deceased is a cool idea, I just felt like the list needed some editing. I had big plans to try and get 100% of the list done, but some of the people were barely in anything horror related or anything horror related that could be tracked down.

I love a good commentary track now and then and even bought a few Guillermo del Toro Blu-rays specifically for this challenge, but found myself relying on streaming so much that it was too much of a chore and I skipped this category altogether.

I helped plan a yearlong challenge for a few years on the now defunct forums associated with dvdaf back in the day, I'd be willing to pitch in for the next challenge.
Old 07-10-18, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Obligatory bump to say the pre-challenge thread is being worked on and should be up and running within a couple or so weeks. As always, suggestions are welcome now, or just wait patiently until then.

And this Friday (the 13th) is the 24-hour Joe Bob Briggs marathon on Shudder. Code for a 7-day 60-day(!) free trial is JOEBOB GROUPON60.

Spoiler:

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
You probably want two months to do the work of downloading/uploading the images, even if you don't think it'll take two months, because things happen. So you've got until May 1st to make a decision (add a month if you want more buffer). You've got months to decide, no need to rush, do some research --

11 Free Image Hosting Sites for Your Photos

List of image-sharing websites
I unfortunately never got around to tackling that, so looks like I'll be doing the one year plan and sticking with PhotoBucket for the time being. Hopefully we'll make the transition over to a less shitty image hosting site by the time OHMC15 rolls around.

Last edited by Chad; 07-12-18 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-10-18, 11:45 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Seeing this has gotten me really excited! Can't wait to join you all again this year!
Old 07-11-18, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

I bought a roku stick just for Joe Bob!
Old 07-11-18, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I have the Friday the 13th boxset on Bluray so I plan on doing a marathon and playing drinking games with some friends on Friday night. Can't wait!
Old 07-11-18, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Scream Factory has a plethora of genre titles coming out in the next few months as well!
Old 07-12-18, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Bonus day on Friday the 13th?
Old 07-12-18, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Bonus day on Friday the 13th?
I guess it depends on if there's a video on demand option for those that are unable to catch it live. Or maybe just don't tell them.
Old 07-12-18, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And ignore the other 7-day code I posted earlier. GROUPON60 gives you a 60-day Shudder trial. Credit to TheBigDave for sharing.
Old 07-12-18, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

And ignore the other 7-day code I posted earlier. GROUPON60 gives you a 60-day Shudder trial. Credit to TheBigDave for sharing.
That would've been nice to have yesterday, but I don't see any need to keep it beyond a week anyway.
Old 07-13-18, 01:19 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

This is amazing! Thank you!
Old 07-24-18, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

On the topic of themes, I'm sure it's been done but I feel with all the divisiveness in our current culture I think Most Divisive Horror Films would be a cool theme/topic, and should be brought back if it has been used.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...iences-slayed/
Old 07-24-18, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by indiephantom
On the topic of themes, I'm sure it's been done but I feel with all the divisiveness in our current culture I think Most Divisive Horror Films would be a cool theme/topic, and should be brought back if it has been used.

I was actually thinking in the same vein, Polarizing Movies. That's a really great link indiephantom, as I had a huge argument last year with a coworker regarding The Witch and We Are What We Are. She still brings it up on occasion to try and pick a fight.
Old 07-24-18, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by indiephantom
...Most Divisive Horror Films would be a cool theme/topic....

I also like this, I know that we've done poorly rated movies but at least with this there's some hope the movies might actually be good and not certified duds. If it might be more likely to fire up conversation then this might be good near the start of the challenge.
Old 07-24-18, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Added to the thread that will be up in a day or two.
Old 07-25-18, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad you guys liked it. I tend to find polarizing flicks pretty damn interesting and tend to find myself on the positive side of them. Eager to see how our themes and flicks develop, as always.
Old 07-25-18, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts

How come there wasn't a results thread last year? It was only the second time I participated, but I wanted to see where I ranked among all the participants.
Old 07-25-18, 10:18 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
How come there wasn't a results thread last year? It was only the second time I participated, but I wanted to see where I ranked among all the participants.
They are created by volunteers. You can do one. It’s a lot of work.
Old 07-26-18, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The pre-challenge thread is up.

Old 07-27-18, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Is anybody else having problems viewing the pre-challenge device on a mobile device?

It keeps erroring out on me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.