Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Seventh Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2017

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Seventh Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2017

Old 11-03-17, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts
Re: The Seventh Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2017

After covering an unnecessary mustache on Wednesday, I went with Silver Streak for the real theme day. Still a really good film, and looks great on Anchor Bay BD.

After that, I opened my Twillight Time BD of Pal Joey, which also looks great. The film itself is not my favorite, but Sinatra's singing is spectacular. I got hooked on the soundtrack back when I was in a Sinatra phase and always thought it was interesting that the album included some versions that were not in the film (e.g., the swinging version of There's a Small Hotel). The performance of The Lady Is a Tramp is pretty much definitive.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/D0Uw5dDEa7U" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Originally Posted by LJG765
Watched The Big Lebowski. Kind of went how I thought it would. The humor was not really to my taste. I guess I'm glad to get it off my "to watch" list and it had quite a few checks over at icheckmovies.com, but that's about the only thing I appreciated about the movie. *shrugs* I am pretty sure I'm in the minority on that one, but oh well. Hopefully tomorrow's watch will be a bit better!
That's pretty much what I thought, but I'll probably watch it again this month just to keep trying to get it.

Originally Posted by jholmes
I watched "Tucker and Dale vs Evil" for the moustache night. Because Dale has a moustache and because I'm still in a horror frame of mind after the October challenge. It was the first time I'd seen it, and it was hilarious.
I saw that for the first time last year in this challenge!
Old 11-03-17, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Seventh Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2017

Comic Strip Theme - Finally watching the Tales of the Far Side cartoons that I've had on a hard drive for years but never watched.
Old 11-03-17, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Based on a comic strip or comic book: Asterix and Obelix: God Save Britannia (2012)

This is a bizarre French film based on the comic. I'm not a huge fan of the book, but I am intrigued by the idea of a live-action film of something so over-the-top slapstick-y.

Old 11-04-17, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Based on a comic strip or comic book: Asterix and Obelix: God Save Britannia (2012)

This is a bizarre French film based on the comic. I'm not a huge fan of the book, but I am intrigued by the idea of a live-action film of something so over-the-top slapstick-y.

I've got the first two, Astérix & Obélix Take on Caesar (1999) and Asterix & Obelix: Mission Cleopatra (2002). Gérard Depardieu has portrayed Obélix in all four live action adaptions, since 1999. There are nine animated movies. The live action films are more easily found than the animated movies.
Old 11-04-17, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Surprised to see the new Thor film with a comedy label. Then went to see it and can completely understand why. Lots of laughs throughout.
Old 11-04-17, 10:56 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

I didn't watch a comedy last night because Wonder Woman Blu Ray came from Netflix so we watched that. Think I'll watch Support Your Local Sheriff today for the western.
Old 11-04-17, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I might miss today’s theme. I was going to watch ‘Dripalong Daffy ‘ on YouTube this morning, but YouTube wasn’t loading. I do have a couple more possibilities tonight, but might not watch them.
Old 11-04-17, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Surprised to see the new Thor film with a comedy label. Then went to see it and can completely understand why. Lots of laughs throughout.
Cool. I am going to see it tomorrow and it's nice to know it'll count.

Question: When's the last time the theme nights were updated (other than adjusting for Thanksgiving)? Maybe we could rework them at the end of the challenge this year for next year? I was looking through them to kind of plan a head last night and realized they were all ones we've had before and on the same days even...

I have a feeling we've kind of covered most of the types of comedy movies out there, but I do kind of think it needs something to change it up a bit. Maybe I'm in the minority?
Old 11-04-17, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Question: When's the last time the theme nights were updated (other than adjusting for Thanksgiving)? Maybe we could rework them at the end of the challenge this year for next year? I was looking through them to kind of plan a head last night and realized they were all ones we've had before and on the same days even...

I have a feeling we've kind of covered most of the types of comedy movies out there, but I do kind of think it needs something to change it up a bit. Maybe I'm in the minority?
I like that idea. A lot of times I end up watching the same things for theme nights.
Old 11-04-17, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am just trying to narrow down what I want to watch for today’s theme. I bought Blazing Saddles on Google Play, and I also have some Three Stooges I can watch.
Old 11-04-17, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I am just trying to narrow down what I want to watch for today’s theme. I bought Blazing Saddles on Google Play, and I also have some Three Stooges I can watch.
I have to admit, neither of those are my favorites! I usually like Mel Brooks films, but I just don't enjoy Blazing Saddles as much as his other films. Though, if you haven't seen it all, I'd go that route.

I watched Three Amigos for the first time in years. I don't know that it held up super well for me, but it was fun seeing all the SNL actors in it (which makes sense since I think Lorne Green wrote it/was involved somehow.)
Old 11-04-17, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The only thing I've done with the theme nights the last couple years was drop political comedy in for the election year then out again. Happy to use some new themes if there's interest!

I didn't watch a comedy last night because Wonder Woman Blu Ray came from Netflix so we watched that. Think I'll watch Support Your Local Sheriff today for the western.
I haven't opened my Twighlight Time BD of the Sheriff movies so I was considering that too.

Kinda like when I saw Wonder Woman in theaters and realized it counted for the historical/war challenge.
Old 11-04-17, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
The only thing I've done with the theme nights the last couple years was drop political comedy in for the election year then out again. Happy to use some new themes if there's interest!
I'm up for the change, but you probably guessed that! lol! I'll try to think of new themes as I watch movies through the month and post them here..
Old 11-04-17, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I decided on the Three Stooges short, ‘Whoops, I’m An Indian’ for today’s theme. Some time this month, I’ll probably watch Blazing Saddles , as I enjoy Mel Brooks.
Old 11-04-17, 07:07 PM

I enjoyed "Support Your Local Sheriff" with James Gardner for today's theme. It was fun and smile-funny if not laugh-out-loud funny. It was a nice innocent film -- a change from all the recent horror. :-)

Last edited by jholmes; 11-05-17 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-04-17, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I enjoyed "Support You Local Sheriff" with James Gardner for today's theme. It was fun and smile-funny if not laugh-out-loud funny. It was a nice innocent film -- a change from all the recent horror. :-)

I saw it for the first time as a kid and enjoyed it. I might watch it sometime this month, as it is available on Starz On Demand.

The talk about Thor reminds me that I have Season 1 of the 1966 Batman series, so I’ll probably watch some episodes of that.
Old 11-04-17, 10:36 PM

Awesome. I didn't realize that would count and I'm definitely going to go see it soon.

For today's theme I watched Edgar Wright's Fistful of Fingers. I can definitely see why it still hasn't had a proper release. The humor didn't really work for me, hard to believe he would go on to make two of my all-time favorite comedies.
Old 11-05-17, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I saw it for the first time as a kid and enjoyed it. I might watch it sometime this month, as it is available on Starz On Demand.

The talk about Thor reminds me that I have Season 1 of the 1966 Batman series, so I’ll probably watch some episodes of that.
Yeah, I found it on Amazon and was surprised to see I could watch it for free because I have a Starz sub there. Don't even remember signing up for that. I'm going to have to go through all those subs soon and cull them.
Old 11-05-17, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had planned to watch a Simon's Cat short, on YouTube for today's theme, but YouTube was still giving me issues loading. Instead I looked on Amazon Prime, and found a Buster Keaton short to watch. I decided on 'Daydreams', a cute little short about a foul up moving to the big city, in order to prove to his sweetheart's father that he could support her and make a big success of himself.
Old 11-05-17, 02:31 PM

Getting into some Harold Lloyd shorts on youtube as a break from work, and to hit today's theme. The early appearances of The Boy character don't really show the potential for what he would become in the later features.
Old 11-06-17, 06:55 AM

I'm not a big fan of silent films, so last night I watched another horror comedy, Night of the Creeps (1986). It had some funny moments, but overall wasn't great. For today's sex comedy, I'll probably watch a Date and Switch (2014) on Amazon. It looks cute.
Old 11-06-17, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

I watched Scavenger Hunt with commentary yesterday. Unfortunately there was a lot of dead air but director Michael Schultz did offer some items like Arnold not wanting to have his shirt off for the gym scene -- he was saving that for Conan, Richard Benjamin attacked Cloris Leachman for real at the end of the movie since her antics was wearing on his nerves, and the city of San Diego was very accommodating for location shooting. Thanks to this movie I now pronounce microscope meek-ro-scope.
Old 11-06-17, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm up for the change, but you probably guessed that! lol! I'll try to think of new themes as I watch movies through the month and post them here..
Feel free (batches would be easier than, say, one every three posts , and then I'll run a poll at the end to see what people think sounds appealing. Then we'll have to see what people would want to drop. The mustaches theme always feels a bit strange, but it is actually tied to Movember this month so it makes some sense.

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
I've got the first two, Astérix & Obélix Take on Caesar (1999) and Asterix & Obelix: Mission Cleopatra (2002). Gérard Depardieu has portrayed Obélix in all four live action adaptions, since 1999. There are nine animated movies. The live action films are more easily found than the animated movies.
Thanks for the info! The one I saw was fine for what it was, and I like how they tried to capture the spirit of the books, but the live-action format was limiting, and it didn't help that it's not a book that I'm very familiar with (I've read probably fewer than a dozen Asterix stories, and the ones I've read more than once I could probably count on one hand). The animated ones sound more appealing to me.
Old 11-06-17, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Took care of today's theme with Friends with Benefits, and yes, I probably used it for the theme last year as well. I find it very entertaining, with the dialogue and the Kunis-Timberlake chemistry.

Because movies always come out in pairs, I remember watching the Portman-Kutcher version as well, but didn't think much of it.

Old 11-06-17, 06:00 PM

Hitting the theme for the day with the painfully bad The Erotic Adventures of Pinocchio. I went through a few lists of sex comedies and had seen everything that was highly rated. Since I'm trying to watch only stuff I haven't seen I dug through my plex B-movie list for something that would fit, and settled on this one.

Mercifully it's just under 80 minutes, but it feels like I've been watching for hours.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.